PDA

View Full Version : Utah high school puts teen in isolation for hair color

green73
02-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Look at this outrageous dye job!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-rNX9HBWCjFQ/URjbJbTk25I/AAAAAAAAsg0/gbLuA69vwrM/s400/1.jpg

From fire engine red to auburn hues, the colors available for individuals to dye their hair are seemingly endless — but that spectrum isn’t available to Washington County students.

A Washington County School District policy states school administrators can decide whether a color is too distracting. Rylee MacKay, a 15-year-old student at Hurricane Middle School, said HMS vice principal Jan Goodwin approached her Wednesday and told her hair was too distracting. MacKay said Goodwin told her hair looked purple and pink in the sunlight.

“They brought me into the office and told me (my hair) had to be changed by the next day,” MacKay said. “They told me I could finish my week’s worth (of school work) in the office so nobody could see me.”

MacKay, who had dyed her hair red on Feb. 2, said she has been dying her hair the same red since September of last year.

According to school district policy 3.1.4, “Hair color should be within the spectrum of color that grows naturally.”

HMS principal Roy Hoyt said parents sign a policy disclosure and agree to review the district’s policies with their students prior to the beginning of the school year.

“We try to consistently and fairly uphold district policies,” Hoyt said. “When students are out of compliance with the dress code, we attempt to find a resolution. Students are welcome to return to class when the issue has been satisfactorily resolved.

”When Rylee’s mother, Amy MacKay, and her daughter first saw a hairdresser to have it dyed, Rylee had picked out a brighter, less-natural red. The hairdresser advised Rylee that she should choose a shade that was more natural, so she did.

“I called (the hairdresser) and asked what color she used in Rylee’s hair,” Amy said. “The two tones she used is a mix of natural brown with red. There’s no violet or pink in it at all. We were trying to be really safe (with the color).

”Matt MacKay, Rylee’s father, received a call from the school after his daughter was sent to the office.

“They said the hair color is not acceptable, and if she didn’t fix it, I would have to pick her up right then,” Matt MacKay said.

Amy MacKay also received a call from Goodwin.

Amy McKay said: “I said I couldn’t get an appointment to get her hair dyed that night because I didn’t get off work until 6 p.m. He said my options were to go to Wal-Mart and buy a box and dye it myself, or she just couldn’t come back to school. I asked him just to giver her two more days of school and I would fix it professionally over the weekend, so then he told me he would allow her to come to school and do her work in a room in the office where nobody could see her. I didn’t like that option, so he said she cannot return to school until it is fixed.”

Hoyt told Amy that she could file a grievance with the school district, or she could have Rylee’s hair toned down by Tomorrow .

“Tomorrow he will look at it to decide if it’s OK, and if it’s not OK, she will have to be segregated into the office where no one can see her,” Amy said. “I think I’m just going to have her wash it a few times this weekend. It’s so fresh that maybe if she washes it, it will tone down.

Amy said if school administrators can agree on a reasonable red color, she would have Rylee dye her hair, but it’s not going to go back to its original brown color.

http://refreshingnews99.blogspot.in/2013/02/utah-teen-told-to-take-classes-in.html

kathy88
02-11-2013, 10:51 AM
She looks like a 40 year old woman. 15?

fr33
02-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Looks natural to me.

green73
02-11-2013, 10:54 AM

I think this incident has aged her beyond her years.

ronpaulfollower999
02-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Lol, I went to a private school and people got away with worse than that. As long as it was a natural color, it was fine.

pcosmar
02-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Jeeze,, I had mine green back in the early 70s,,(before that shit was cool)..

I guess individuality is not allowed anymore.

camp_steveo
02-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Are you sure that's her? The woman in that picture looks much older than 15.

Either way, the hair color doesn't seem to be a distraction to me. It looks pretty, but not distracting.

Nirvikalpa
02-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Mine was purple, teal, green, aqua... during high school at a Catholic school.

Her hair looks natural to me...

edit: picture's definitely her, she's on facebook.

TonySutton
02-11-2013, 11:20 AM
It seems to be her, here is her FB photo album

https://www.facebook.com/rylee.mackay/photos_stream

pcosmar
02-11-2013, 11:23 AM

Was my wife's reaction. She said it's not her hair that is a distraction.

LOL

I remember short (mini) skirts and pink panties,, That was a distraction.
I still learned to separate Hydrogen from water.
;)

Brian4Liberty
02-11-2013, 11:23 AM

3, 2, 1... paging Dannno.

I think this incident has aged her beyond her years.

Lol!

Confederate
02-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Lol, I went to a private school and people got away with worse than that. As long as it was a natural color, it was fine.

One school I went to had extremely strict hair style rules. It was an all-boys school and prohibited dying, hair touching shoulders, hair covering ears, hair reaching your eyes, no facial hair at all, etc.

AGRP
02-11-2013, 04:51 PM
.gov schools.= .gov control

MelissaWV
02-11-2013, 04:56 PM
The mom is not helping:

Amy said if school administrators can agree on a reasonable red color, she would have Rylee dye her hair, but it’s not going to go back to its original brown color.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
02-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Sounds safe to say they just don't like her.

Spikender
02-11-2013, 05:17 PM
The mom is not helping:

It's always good to hear from a mundane who knows her place. Get that woman a cookie and a participation trophy.

Danke
02-11-2013, 05:24 PM

No shit.

fr33
02-11-2013, 05:55 PM

Or it's just another person who enjoys holding power and using it against people. These types a dime a dozen in prison/school system.

ClydeCoulter
02-11-2013, 06:03 PM
HOMESCHOOL !

PaulConventionWV
02-11-2013, 07:24 PM

Maybe she smokes.

Brian4Liberty
02-11-2013, 07:36 PM
It's a totally outrageous and uncommon hair color. Throw the harlot into the pond and see if she floats!

http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Emma-Stone-Image.jpg

pcosmar
02-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Maybe she smokes.

could say she's smokin'.

;)

coastie
02-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Mine was purple, teal, green, aqua... during high school at a Catholic school.

edit: picture's definitely her, she's on facebook.

Am I the only one wondering these two things...

1. She's 15.....and in middle school?

2. What Nirvikapla looked like in a Catholic School uniform?

:D

Carry on.

green73
02-11-2013, 07:51 PM

Jan Goodwin, age 49, is probably menopausal and bitterly jealous.

http://cmsimg.thespectrum.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=G3&Date=20130208&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=302080013&Ref=AR&MaxW=300&Border=0&Hurricane-Middle-School-bars-girl-distracting-hair

Brian4Liberty
02-11-2013, 07:52 PM

Carry on.

A lot of High Schools in Utah are only 10th, 11th, and 12th grades. Freshmen are still in Middle School.

coastie
02-11-2013, 07:55 PM
A lot of High Schools in Utah are only 10th, 11th, and 12th grades. Freshmen are still in Middle School.

So, thats a yes, I was the only one wondering both things. Shit.

p.s. thanks for the info on the school

pcosmar
02-11-2013, 07:55 PM

Carry on.

ROR
Raff Ou Rowd

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/615938084/small-bronze-statue-Maitreya-font-b-Buddha-b-font-4-3-happy-sad-angry-laugh-4.jpg

Carson
02-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Stampa? Stampa?

Minor you say?

Women are growing up fast now.

Back when we were just starting to grow our hair long we had one guy that tried to fly his freak flag. It was actually just a little bit long. Still he got sent home or something and told to cut his hair.

He came back with his head shaved! Some girls behind him drew a peace sign and something else. I can't remember exactly but it was something like you would see on the show, "Laugh In" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WIWq3qikXo)

Anyway newly shaved head with lipstick and a southern California sun and it sunburned into his head.

I think he got sent home for his shaved head to.

It seemed like that was the last of them trying to impose any standards and hair got its freedom.

alucard13mmfmj
02-11-2013, 07:59 PM
i was expecting this

http://www.gregorylawfirm.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/aurora-shooter.jpg

AGRP
02-11-2013, 09:09 PM
How can a person survive in the real world if theyre distracted by something as stupid as hair color? The problem isnt hair color. Its those who are distracted by it.

emazur
02-11-2013, 09:16 PM
It's a totally outrageous and uncommon hair color. Throw the harlot into the pond and see if she floats!

http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Emma-Stone-Image.jpg

I dunno who the broad in that pic is, but she seems to have a head that's probably a good 40 percent longer than the average human.

Brian4Liberty
02-11-2013, 10:01 PM
I dunno who the broad in that pic is, but she seems to have a head that's probably a good 40 percent longer than the average human.

Reptilian.

fr33
02-11-2013, 10:03 PM
How can a person survive in the real world if theyre distracted by something as stupid as hair color? The problem isnt hair color. Its those who are distracted by it.
No kidding. All the petty rules about language and looks that they enforced in school are useless in the real world.

opal
02-11-2013, 10:14 PM
what a HORRIBLE time in history to be a student! I went to HS in the 70s - they tried to do the whole dress code thing starting in middle school (which did have 9th grade depending on class size)
Parents and students revolted .. in NY state! Tie died torn bell bottoms ... peasant shirts (we were about 2 hours from where Woodstock happened) still reigned and hair was every color you could imagine

Anti Federalist
02-11-2013, 10:17 PM
ROR

Raff Ou Rowd

She's 15???!!!

http://www.funnydictionary.com/img/entry_images/900/vr7KUExgR8r.jpg

Jackie Moon
02-12-2013, 05:27 AM
I was sure that the picture in the story must be incorrect.

First, there's no way she looks 15. Second, I was expecting a purple and green mohawk or something.

The Facebook link shows that she just turned 15 at the end of January.

If I had seen her in school I'd either assume she was a young teacher or part of some 21 Jump Street undercover operation.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-AZET-1etBOc/UGvowIhdJgI/AAAAAAAAAgQ/bpyjXF-dvSw/s1600/224452_418498731531351_1205291932_n.jpg

RickyJ
02-12-2013, 05:47 AM

I was about to post something similar. She looks older than a teenager to me. Maybe she isn't feeling too well.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
02-12-2013, 05:55 AM
No kidding. All the petty rules about language and looks that they enforced in school are useless in the real world.

Even the real world is useless in the real world sometimes. I remember when it was common for employers to make employees cover nose piercings with a band-aid. I'm not a super fan of nose piercings... but if someone is making a burger for me, I'd rather see her nose piercing than wonder why she has a strange band-aid on her nose.