PDA

View Full Version : Rubio Stepping Into Republican Leadership Vacuum

Brian4Liberty
02-10-2013, 12:49 PM
The media could not push any harder in their attempt to force Rubio on us. Sorry establishment media, the Tea Party knows that Rubio is not on our side.

Rubio Stepping Into Republican Leadership Vacuum

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – The Republican Party has been listing in the political sea for a few months after the party’s disappointing showing in the 2012 election. As the party tries to tweak its message, while sticking to its previous ideas, Senator Marco Rubio is stepping into the vacuum left by Mitt Romney.

The bilingual Cuban-American lawmaker has become Republicans’ point person on immigration and he pitches economic solutions for middle-class workers. He is an evangelist for a modern, inclusive party that welcomes more Hispanics and minorities, but says Republicans must stay true to their principles.

“In a way, he’s trying to save us from ourselves,” says Al Cardenas, the chairman of the American Conservative Union who gave Rubio his first job in politics, as a South Florida field staffer during Kansas Sen. Bob Dole’s 1996 presidential campaign. “He gives us comfort against the naysayers who say we need to change our basic beliefs to attract a wider audience.”

Republicans selected Rubio to give the Republican response to President Barack Obama’s State of the Union address Tuesady. It’s a prime spot for Rubio as he continues to position himself for a run for the White House in 2016.

Part of Rubio’s problem though will be how to distance himself from the tea party that vaulted him into office in 2010, without looking like he’s trying to distance himself from the tea party. Rubio has to walk a tightrope between the more conservative tea party and the older, more moderate Republicans.

Rubio’s rise has drawn comparisons to President Obama. Both quickly ascended the national ladder of politics and both are great orators and let political power come to them rather than actively seek it out.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/02/10/rubio-stepping-into-republican-leadership-vacuum/

itshappening
02-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Rand Paul pointed out on CNN that he and Rubio have differences and highlighted foreign aid which was a clever move since Rubio voted against that amendment when Rand tried to cut the foreign aid.

I think Rubio also voted against Rand's budget slashing budget so again it seems he's not serious about cutting spending.

If that's their Republican leader they can keep him.

acptulsa
02-10-2013, 12:55 PM
http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/dcblog/marco%20rubio%20time%20cover.bmp

BUY NOW! LIMITED TIME ONLY! TURN YOUR PARTY INTO A ROARING SUCCESS! ENDS DEPRESSION, MALAISE AND HALITOSIS! NO WHITE HOUSE SHOULD BE WITHOUT ONE! DOUBLE YOUR VOTES BACK IF NOT COMPLETELY SATISFIED! ACT NOW!

Sola_Fide
02-10-2013, 12:55 PM
I don't think he needs any help distancing himself from the Tea Party. Rand has a golden opportunity to create a bold difference between himself and the neocons. The danger with Rand (which I think is happening) is that he isn't making the difference clear enough. 2016 is going to be the year of FOREIGN POLICY.

itshappening
02-10-2013, 12:57 PM
I don't think he needs any help distancing himself from the Tea Party. Rand has a golden opportunity to create a bold difference between himself and the neocons. The danger with Rand (which I think is happening) is that he isn't making the difference clear enough. 2016 is going to be the year of FOREIGN POLICY.

Foreign policy is likely to be nothing compared to the spending crisis and Rubio has already voted against Rand's budget so one only need to highlight this and Rubio's vote for foreign aid which Rand mentioned on CNN and there are differences already... I'm sure there will be more coming up.

Brian4Liberty
02-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Our Savior, Marco Rubio... :rolleyes:

WASHINGTON -- Marco Rubio is taking center stage as Republicans search for a new leader.

In the nearly 100 days since President Barack Obama won a second term, the Florida senator has made calculated, concrete steps to emerge as a next-generation leader of a rudderless party, put a 21st-century stamp on the conservative movement and potentially position himself for a presidential run.
Rubio will give the Republican response to Obama's State of the Union address Tuesday. Rubio advisers say his rebuttal will offer economic prescriptions for a sluggish economy and try to counter what they call Obama's government-centered economic approach.

The speech comes as demand for the 41-year-old son of immigrants has soared and the party has tried to recover from significant electoral losses and map out a path ahead.

Call it the "it" factor. Time magazine just splashed Rubio on its cover, anointing him "The Republican Savior." Rubio, a Catholic, responded on Twitter: "There is only one savior, and it is not me. (hash)Jesus". He shrugged off the label during an interview with The Associated Press: "I didn't write the cover. I wouldn't have said it if I wrote it."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/10/marco-rubio-gop_n_2657451.html

itshappening
02-10-2013, 12:58 PM
The ones on civil liberties if they're on different sides of that will be highlighted in New Hampshire... did Rubio support the PATRIOT ACT?

Brian4Liberty
02-10-2013, 12:59 PM
http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/dcblog/marco%20rubio%20time%20cover.bmp

BUY NOW! LIMITED TIME ONLY! TURN YOUR PARTY INTO A ROARING SUCCESS! ENDS DEPRESSION, MALAISE AND HALITOSIS! NO WHITE HOUSE SHOULD BE WITHOUT ONE! DOUBLE YOUR VOTES BACK IF NOT COMPLETELY SATISFIED! ACT NOW!

He walks on water.

angelatc
02-10-2013, 01:00 PM
So, when you put a vacuum into a vacuum, does the vacuum get bigger or does it create an implosion?

Sola_Fide
02-10-2013, 01:01 PM
Foreign policy is likely to be nothing compared to the spending crisis and Rubio has already voted against Rand's budget so one only need to highlight this and Rubio's vote for foreign aid which Rand mentioned on CNN and there are differences already... I'm sure there will be more coming up.

Well, ask yourself: what will fire up the grassroots to get involved more? Budget proposals or a change in foreign policy?
The question answers itself for me.

itshappening
02-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Well, ask yourself: what will fire up the grassroots to get involved more? Budget proposals or a change in foreign policy?
The question answers itself for me.

The average voter in Iowa is not going to care about foreign policy in 2016, it won't be on the agenda. Obama is bringing troops home from Iraq and Afghanistan (allegedly) around 2014 so there will be lots of media coverage of that and troops re-uniting with their families and a sense that it's over and done with .

The grassroots can click on the issues page on Rand's website and read about his foreign policy if they care that much but it's not going to be a campaign issue or given much time in debates.

Occam's Banana
02-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Senator Marco Rubio is stepping into the vacuum left by Mitt Romney.

The vaccum left by Mitt Romney? Seriously, when I read this, I couldn't even laugh.

I just sat there making sharp, breathless, high-pitched sounds ... *hurk* (exhale) *hurk* (exhale) *hurk* (exhale) ...

I guess it must have been caused by a lack air due the VACUUM LEFT BY MITT ROMNEY!!

He gives us comfort against the naysayers who say we need to change our basic beliefs to attract a wider audience.

Gee, I wonder who these "naysayers" might be? Hmmmmmm ...

Brian4Liberty
02-10-2013, 01:57 PM
David Gregory and the other lefties praised Rubio on Meet the Press today. Has the GOP become so foolish as to let the leftist media tell them who to vote for?

acptulsa
02-10-2013, 02:00 PM
David Gregory and the other lefties praised Rubio on Meet the Press today. Has the GOP become so foolish as to let the leftist media tell them who to vote for?

Considering Fox is leftist media, yeah, I'd say so.

anaconda
02-10-2013, 02:12 PM
Have you ever seen Rubio and Romney in the same room together?

Brian4Liberty
02-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Have you ever seen Rubio and Romney in the same room together?

How about Lindsey Graham and Rubio?