PDA

View Full Version : USA Today Ad - Repeat! Repeat! Repeat!

Architect4DrPaul
11-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Let's start a website collecting money in 85k increments and place a new full-page ad in USA Today for each 85k we raise!

We could have user contests for the full-page ad content.

Who can start a website and get a campaign like this going?

McDermit
11-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Why not hit some other papers too though? I'd say one more (maybe the mosaic?) in USA Today ASAP, then the next 2 in NY Times or something. Try to do two ads in a week, in the same paper, then do another paper.

SonicInfinity
11-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Let's start a website collecting money in 85k increments and place a new full-page ad in USA Today for each 85k we raise!

Stop trying to deter money away from Dec. 16th. If you put up a disclaimer that says "don't donate if it will take money away from the 16th", that's fine, but otherwise, no.

hawkeyenick
11-22-2007, 04:07 PM
We're working on the blimp right now

happyphilter
11-22-2007, 04:08 PM
the blimp is a priority

hddn-agnda
11-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Stop trying to deter money away from Dec. 16th. If you put up a disclaimer that says "don't donate if it will take money away from the 16th", that's fine, but otherwise, no.

Ever heard about what happens when you put all your eggs in one basket?

If we don't have a donor base large enough to donate on more than 2 days per year, we don't deserve to win. Stop trying to bash every idea that someone comes up with. You can show your dismay by your silence and non-participation. That's how the free market works. If you don't like it, take your money(read: your voice) and spend it on another idea of your choosing. This is just another means to the same end.

I don't know who appointed anyone here to run the grass roots like it was their own personal campaign.

Elementslayer
11-22-2007, 04:36 PM

If we don't have a donor base large enough to donate on more than 2 days per year, we don't deserve to win. Stop trying to bash every idea that someone comes up with. You can show your dismay by your silence and non-participation. That's how the free market works. If you don't like it, take your money(read: your voice) and spend it on another idea of your choosing. This is just another means to the same end.

I don't know who appointed anyone here to run the grass roots like it was their own personal campaign.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wise words my friend.

hawkeyenick
11-22-2007, 04:45 PM

When you put all your eggs in one basket, as long as you watch that basket you get more of a return.

In finance they only tell the uneducated to diversify, sophisticated investors don't diversify.

Primbs
11-22-2007, 04:47 PM
We need to focus on states. Iowa and New Hampshire and Michigan are only weeks away. A blimp can be strategically positioned in different states and garner very specific local media coverage.

Plus it will differentiate the campaign from others that just use the same boring commercials year after year.

Ron Paul has been known for his signs. Now his blimp sign will be bigger than all the other signs before.

dircha
11-22-2007, 04:50 PM

If multiple people contribute to the ad doesn't it automatically become, legally, a PAC, and fall under the individual PAC contribution limits?

It was my understanding that with the USA Today ad this was not an issue because one person financed it out of his own pocket.

I don't know for sure.

dircha
11-22-2007, 04:54 PM
When you put all your eggs in one basket, as long as you watch that basket you get more of a return.

In finance they only tell the uneducated to diversify, sophisticated investors don't diversify.

The USA Today ad allowed that one wealthy supporter to make a tremendous difference that he could not have made through direct contributions to the official campaign due to per-candidate contribution limits.

These types of activities also provide outlets for those who have already maxed out their individual per-candidate contribution. There are quite a number of them on this forum.

hawkeyenick
11-22-2007, 05:03 PM
The USA Today ad allowed that one wealthy supporter to make a tremendous difference that he could not have made through direct contributions to the official campaign due to per-candidate contribution limits.

These types of activities also provide outlets for those who have already maxed out their individual per-candidate contribution. There are quite a number of them on this forum.

...which has exactly 0 to do with what I just said

llamabread
11-22-2007, 05:44 PM
I agree that the Blimp should be the next thing to focus on. Three newspaper ads will get no where near enough attention as having the Ron Paul Blimp for a month.

hddn-agnda
11-22-2007, 05:57 PM

By sophisticated, do you mean the same people who don't have to worry about consequences because they will get your tax dollars to be bailed out? Who is going to give Ron Paul's campaign corporate welfare? I didn't make my fortune working a 9-5. I made it investing what I earned at my 9-5. I know a little about investing in unstable markets as well.

Likewise, you're throwing all your hopes on the media covering it. They don't have to cover it, or if they cover it, they don't have to cover it fairly... "Ron Paul raised a decent chunk of change yesterday"

the end. now what? You ignored the campaign and they couldn't afford the kind of blitz that it turned out they needed... what do we do after we DON'T win New Hampshire due to lack of funds? Rudy isn't spending like we are in the Early state of New Hampshire, because he is betting on later states, which means we have to be sprinting ahead of the pack by February 8th, because momentum gained, is the only way for us to win anything. Huckabee will win Iowa and get a boost in New Hampshire--if we aren't outspending them 10:1 in New Hampshire, you can kiss your Constitution goodbye forever. Pick a new analogy.

leonster
11-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Good idea, but I think the blimp is a higher priority... but everyone is free to make your own choice.

If you DO run with the paper... I'd argue for the Wall Street Journal. People who read that, will talk to other people about it, etc.

dircha
11-22-2007, 06:16 PM
...which has exactly 0 to do with what I just said

It has everything to do with what you just said.

Contrary to the original poster, you suggested that we put all of our eggs in one basket.

I am telling you that all of our eggs don't fit in that basket even if we want them to.

Man from La Mancha
11-22-2007, 06:22 PM
The idea is get the most money for Ron and that seems to be the Tea Party and to do that is more supporters and more advertising which I think would be the blimp. It appears the rich are very reclusive and unlike Llepard they are afraid to make waves and get noticed and I don't blame them with all the government thugs out there. But I sure wish there were others with his balls that would put their name with freedoms. Besides maybe we should have some say how money is spent and these projects here are a way of doing that.

TooConservative
11-22-2007, 06:26 PM

The effort is legitimate enough. We do have a number of maxxed out donors which was over 3% before November 5 as I recall. So there must be at least a few thousand maxxed-out donors out there who might want to band together for a few efforts like this.

I do agree that everyone should donate to the campaign until they're maxxed out.

Mithridates
11-22-2007, 06:27 PM
Good idea, but I think the blimp is a higher priority... but everyone is free to make your own choice.

If you DO run with the paper... I'd argue for the Wall Street Journal. People who read that, will talk to other people about it, etc.

What about local papers in Iowa and New Hampshire instead? That would be both more targeted as well as much cheaper.

forsmant
11-22-2007, 06:58 PM
I am a part or the Omaha/Council Bluffs Meetup group, and I have proposed an ad in the Des Moines register and or Council Bluffs Daily Non Parel, which covers a lot of SW Iowa apparently. No replies yet within the group, or how much the ads would cost.

derdy
11-22-2007, 07:00 PM

Welcome to the boards!

As for your idea, the free-market will decide! :D

James R
11-22-2007, 07:04 PM

Architect, I strongly believe that if someone has an idea in mind but they are not willing to take charge of that idea themself, they can't be all that much into it. Why are you asking someone else to take over your idea? I don't mean to sound negative but I think that is the truth. I would encourage you to take charge of this.

Glad to see another new member by the way. You are very welcome here!

forsmant
11-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Architect says LET'S start a website. Maybe he does not know how to create websites. I know that I don't. Cut him some slack.

Primbs
11-22-2007, 08:23 PM
Can anyone remember what the other full pages ads were in the USA Today yesterday on Nov 21?

For those that are predisposed to read the founding fathers, the ad was memorable, but maybe not for others.

tremendoustie
11-22-2007, 08:31 PM
Since USA Today promised llepard section 1, but put the ad in a later section, do you think it's possible we/he could negotiate a free run, later in the paper, to make up for it?

BillyDkid
11-22-2007, 08:34 PM
We need to focus on states. Iowa and New Hampshire and Michigan are only weeks away. A blimp can be strategically positioned in different states and garner very specific local media coverage.

Plus it will differentiate the campaign from others that just use the same boring commercials year after year.

Ron Paul has been known for his signs. Now his blimp sign will be bigger than all the other signs before.
I'm not at all clear why spending money on a blimp is a good idea? It doesn't tell anybody anything. People see Ron Paul's name on a blimp and then what?

Primbs
11-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Hopefully free media stories. Also most people still do not know who Ron Paul is. We need all the media coverage we can get. Plus word of mouth marketing is usually the most believable and effective marketing.

You could run a million dollars in boring TV ads and possibly get nowhere. Or you can be bold, daring and audacious and really capture the attention of an inattentive public.

LibertyEagle
11-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Since USA Today promised llepard section 1, but put the ad in a later section, do you think it's possible we/he could negotiate a free run, later in the paper, to make up for it?

If that is the case, then yes, probably so.

Man from La Mancha
11-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Hopefully free media stories. Also most people still do not know who Ron Paul is. We need all the media coverage we can get. Plus word of mouth marketing is usually the most believable and effective marketing.

You could run a million dollars in boring TV ads and possibly get nowhere. Or you can be bold, daring and audacious and really capture the attention of an inattentive public.
Do people know what Fuji is? That is all their blimp said. I'm for running the blimp as long as Ron is in the race. 35,000 people times $10/m =$350,000/m. Not hard to do. 12,000 people x $30/m = $360,000/m. It called having fun and whether it goes to HQ or thru us directly it is still PR.