PDA

View Full Version : Colbert running for Congress in SC

Brian4Liberty
02-07-2013, 01:46 AM
It's true. Steven Colbert's sister is running for the spot left vacant by Tim Scott.

It's old news, but Steven talked about it on his show today (and also took a dig at Mark Sanford, who is running for the seat).

(NEWSER) – The Colbert-for-president thing may not have panned out, but now Stephen's sister is running for Congress in South Carolina, reports the St. Andrews Patch. And this time's it's no joke. Elizabeth Colbert-Busch will run as a Democrat for the seat being vacated by Tim Scott, who has been appointed to the Senate. Colbert-Busch, who works at Clemson University, has never run for public office before. Any Democrat is a long-shot in the red district, notes the Washington Post, but the Patch thinks that Colbert-Busch's name recognition and the likelihood that she'll be able to raise money gives her a legitimate shot at victory.

http://www.newser.com/story/161261/colbert-for-congress-yep-but-its-his-sister.html

devil21
02-07-2013, 01:48 AM
Talk about an opportunist. Loads of free pub on his show. Anybody know anything about her? The "Busch" in her name is interesting. Hafta look up her history and family tree.

Brian4Liberty
02-07-2013, 01:56 AM
Talk about an opportunist. Loads of free pub on his show. Anybody know anything about her? The "Busch" in her name is interesting. Hafta look up her history and family tree.

Long story here:

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20100206/ARCHIVES/302069959

Philhelm
02-07-2013, 02:24 AM
Is she a liberty candidate by any chance? *snicker*

Brian4Liberty
02-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Is she a liberty candidate by any chance? *snicker*

She has the makings of a perfect crony corporatist. She can help Obama find places to "invest" taxpayer money.

Her first husband appeared on "America's Most Wanted" in relation to a case about securities fraud.
As director of business development for Clemson University's Restoration Institute, Colbert-Busch is, for lack of a better term, the school's corporate matchmaker. She finds companies that could benefit from the kind of advanced environmentally conscious research the university is doing -- wind turbine testing, water studies, different kinds of renewable energy -- and partners with them. More to the point, she asks them for money. In return, the corporations get the kind of cutting-edge information to help them stay one step ahead of the competition.

"It's a win-win situation," she says from a plush chair in her North Charleston office. "It's a fraction of the cost to them and it allows us to keep doing our research and keep growing."

kathy88
02-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Typical lefty :)

supermario21
02-07-2013, 12:20 PM
I just hate when leftist comedians mock certain Republican politicians as family-values conservatives. I mean it works for a Gingrich or Santorum but Mark Sanford?? The guy's identity is a fiscal libertarian essentially who will be much more like Rand Paul or Mike Lee in the House rather than a Steve King.

itshappening
02-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Sanford will kick her ass. He's never lost an election

itshappening
02-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Talking of Sanford, he's updated his website with issues and news:

http://www.marksanford.com/

devil21
02-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Oh it didnt even occur to me that she would likely be Sanford's opponent in the general.

supermario21
02-07-2013, 03:07 PM
I really like his language.

He believes that only the Congress can declare war and that we should get away from military actions directed by the White House without the authorization of Congress, as his belief has always been that body bags from foreign lands do not return to Washington - but Congressional districts across this country.

Restore America Now
02-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Sanford will kick her ass. He's never lost an election

You underestimate the power of the Colbert Nation... :eek:

supermario21
02-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Yes and when the median age in that District is probably above 50 or 60 I'd like to see how many people even know who Colbert is. When Mark was in Sun City I doubt there was anyone younger than 55 or 60.