PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul is more like father after all

Brett85
02-06-2013, 11:38 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/dana-milbank-rand-paul-is-more-like-father-after-all/2013/02/06/f2edc150-70b3-11e2-8b8d-e0b59a1b8e2a_story.html

mz10
02-06-2013, 11:41 PM
If I could pick one human being on the planet to punch in the face, there is a good chance it would be Dana Milbank. What a miserable human being.

Brett85
02-06-2013, 11:45 PM
I don't really know much about him.

fr33
02-06-2013, 11:48 PM
If I could pick one human being on the planet to punch in the face, there is a good chance it would be Dana Milbank. What a miserable human being.

It's a pretty good choice. Mine would probably be Eric Golub.
http://media.washtimes.com/media/community/img/staff/2011/mugshot-eric-golub_s200x200.jpg

Brett85
02-06-2013, 11:53 PM
But this article just shows that even though some of us don't think that Rand goes far enough towards non interventionism, people like this still view Rand as a radical non interventionist almost identical to Ron.

Matt Collins
02-06-2013, 11:55 PM
Funny, Reason's Matt Welch said Rand isn't like his dad. lolz.... Rand is great, he is causing everyone to intellectually scramble and just causing confusion, kind of like shaking an ant colony. I mean really, people don't know what to think, and they can't pin him down heh

thequietkid10
02-06-2013, 11:58 PM

...over Dick Morris? or Sean Hannity?

Shane Harris
02-07-2013, 12:09 AM
I wish I could punch Dick Morris in the face every morning when he opens his front door.

Shane Harris
02-07-2013, 12:12 AM
Funny, Reason's Matt Welch said Rand isn't like his dad. lolz.... Rand is great, he is causing everyone to intellectually scramble and just causing confusion, kind of like shaking an ant colony. I mean really, people don't know what to think, and they can't pin him down heh

meh the same could be said for Romney or Kerry. Ambiguity on principle doesn't impress me. It may be a good strategy for politics, but its not very endearing or inspiring.

Occam's Banana
02-07-2013, 12:15 AM
...over Dick Morris? or Sean Hannity?

To hell with this "pick one" thing. Line 'em all up ...

Occam's Banana
02-07-2013, 12:17 AM
Ambiguity on principle doesn't impress me. It may be a good strategy for politics, but its not very endearing or inspiring.

Politics is not very endearing or inspiring. You'll have to pick one (politics) or the other (endearing & inspiring).

Bastiat's The Law
02-07-2013, 01:16 AM
meh the same could be said for Romney or Kerry. Ambiguity on principle doesn't impress me. It may be a good strategy for politics, but its not very endearing or inspiring.
There's a difference between being a crafty true believer and a Play-Doh politician. A decent segment of the population can pick up on that real quick. After listening for a few minutes its easy to know which descriptor applies to Rand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw70EItcJdU

K466
02-07-2013, 06:14 AM
Dana Milbank, puke, you gotta keep everyone on the 3x5 card of approved opinion, right?

supermario21
02-07-2013, 08:50 AM
This guy is a leftist hack and he's complaining about Rand's war stance? Hypocrisy.

FSP-Rebel
02-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Meh, Washington Compost, whaddaya expect.

Shane Harris
02-07-2013, 11:48 AM
There's a difference between being a crafty true believer and a Play-Doh politician. A decent segment of the population can pick up on that real quick. After listening for a few minutes its easy to know which descriptor applies to Rand.

I agree, and I like Rand a lot. Its just that this strategy is frustrating because it sure seems like he's just trying to step on the least number of toes between us and the GOP. My point is that if Rand had run in 2008 then this website probably wouldn't exist and I probably would still be oblivious to Austrian economics, the LvMI, Rothbard, Mises, Bastiat, etc. I have Ron and his straightforward honesty and courage to thank for that. I doubt Rand will ever change people's lives in that way, which is fine. He can try to change the system, and I will try to help his cause but I personally feel that we can only achieve liberty by educating first, then policies will follow. We can't likely trick people into semi-adopting our pseudo-policies. I know that Politics and education are separate but I think Ron demonstrated the amazing potential of using politics to do more than just get votes and pass bills (or repeal them). He showed that principle and truth don't have to take a back seat. The vote getting takes the back seat and this is a better long-term strategy in my opinion. But like I said I support Rand 90%

cajuncocoa
02-07-2013, 11:51 AM
I agree, and I like Rand a lot. Its just that this strategy is frustrating because it sure seems like he's just trying to step on the least number of toes between us and the GOP. My point is that if Rand had run in 2008 then this website probably wouldn't exist and I probably would still be oblivious to Austrian economics, the LvMI, Rothbard, Mises, Bastiat, etc. I have Ron and his straightforward honesty and courage to thank for that. I doubt Rand will ever change people's lives in that way, which is fine. He can try to change the system, and I will try to help his cause but I personally feel that we can only achieve liberty by educating first, then policies will follow. We can't likely trick people into semi-adopting our pseudo-policies. I know that Politics and education are separate but I think Ron demonstrated the amazing potential of using politics to do more than just get votes and pass bills (or repeal them). He showed that principle and truth don't have to take a back seat. The vote getting takes the back seat and this is a better long-term strategy in my opinion. But like I said I support Rand 90%+rep

dannno
02-07-2013, 01:00 PM

That's the whole point.

TheGrinch
02-07-2013, 01:03 PM
But this article just shows that even though some of us don't think that Rand goes far enough towards non interventionism, people like this still view Rand as a radical non interventionist almost identical to Ron.

Meh, most of the opinions about Rand nowadays seem to confirm nothing more than that most are guilty of confirmation bias.... Or in the case of the media, influencing confirmation bias.

sailingaway
02-07-2013, 01:05 PM

words are important but are not enough. Consistency is important and ambiguity doesn't inspire trust.

I would really like to trust Rand, but a good speech to us one day followed by hitting the hot buttons of an opposing ideological group the next isn't going to do it. I'd really like to see him stake out a path he will fight for and stick to it.

Tax the Fed
02-08-2013, 01:40 PM
. . . still view Rand as a radical non interventionist almost identical to Ron.

other than the word radical . . . that's a very complimentary characterization

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/sunblush/fpfronpaul.jpg
Dad would probably get Rand's nod for a cabinet post like Secretary of State - how perfect a foreign policy.

VoluntaryAmerican
02-08-2013, 02:29 PM
This writer is trying to prove the unproveable, he is a conspiracy theorist. Why give him any traffic.

K466
02-08-2013, 03:24 PM
I agree, and I like Rand a lot. Its just that this strategy is frustrating because it sure seems like he's just trying to step on the least number of toes between us and the GOP. My point is that if Rand had run in 2008 then this website probably wouldn't exist and I probably would still be oblivious to Austrian economics, the LvMI, Rothbard, Mises, Bastiat, etc. I have Ron and his straightforward honesty and courage to thank for that. I doubt Rand will ever change people's lives in that way, which is fine. He can try to change the system, and I will try to help his cause but I personally feel that we can only achieve liberty by educating first, then policies will follow. We can't likely trick people into semi-adopting our pseudo-policies. I know that Politics and education are separate but I think Ron demonstrated the amazing potential of using politics to do more than just get votes and pass bills (or repeal them). He showed that principle and truth don't have to take a back seat. The vote getting takes the back seat and this is a better long-term strategy in my opinion. But like I said I support Rand 90%

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Shane Harris again.

I'm a bit less than 90% but well said.

whoisjohngalt
02-08-2013, 04:48 PM

Well said. And I'm a huge Rand supporter. That is why Rand didn't run in 2008 or 2012. This is all part of the plan.

alucard13mmfmj
02-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Fortunately and unfortunately, he is the best we got for now. There are some junior statesmen, but they have a long ways to go with popularity and name recognition among the GOP.