PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from our county's reorg meeting - and we did well!

Monotaur
02-06-2013, 12:57 AM
OK guys, I'm not going to rehash everything (it was a long day and I'm tired! :) ), but we just got back from our county's reorg meeting, which happens every two years here in Colorado. Normally, this is fairly mundane and just involves selection of executive committee members (chair, vice chair(s), secretary) but this year we also elected several "bonus" members to the state and congressional district central committees where they will have an entire vote on the leadership in their respective venue (either state chair or district chair). There was also a county bylaws change that was very contentious.

...and we did well, *really* well! I, unfortunately, wasn't elected as a bonus member to either body, but my wife ran for secretary (not unopposed) and won! We also got the majority of bonus members and the plan is to vote out the current chair (remember the debacle at the RNC... "X votes for Romney, Y abstentions"). We've met the guy running against him, and while he isn't 100% liberty minded per-se, he has a history of being fair and has voiced concerns with the rule changes and says that he would work to undo them.

But I did get the chair position for a House District here, which doesn't have much responsibility. But I will get to run a portion of our county assembly meeting where delegates to the state and congressional districts are selected.

And as for the bylaws, the correct option was selected so, in a nutshell, our delegates to higher assemblies are selected at the county assembly rather than at precinct causes. Selecting them at precinct caucuses is a Bad Idea because it leaves almost half of the precincts (the "lower performing" ones) without representation at higher assemblies, but some (very vocal) groups liked it because they were in high performing precincts and wouldn't have to do much work to get to the state assembly.

There were more people attending than expected, but still not *that* many. Certainly, getting involved in the off-years can give us a huge impact. So, please get involved!

Anyway, a good night for Liberty!

eleganz
02-06-2013, 01:40 AM
very proud of you guys, keep it going! its happening everywhere.

TheTyke
02-06-2013, 04:58 AM
Good work! This is what we need to keep doing. :)

Rocco
02-06-2013, 07:07 AM
I smile every time I read one of these threads. +Rep, keep up the good work out in Colorado, I hope New York can catch up to you guys soon!

PatriotOne
02-06-2013, 08:43 AM
Congrats Monotaur and thank you for your efforts!

Plus rep :).

dinosaur
02-06-2013, 09:04 AM
+ rep
Steady progress wins, they have no real grassroots and ours grows as we lead the fight.

FSP-Rebel
02-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Great job! Just like a marathon, keep your pace steady and don't give up.

Matt Collins
02-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Congrats, this is how we take back our country!

Athan
02-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Awesome! Thanks guys!

sailingaway
02-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Yea, to you and congratulations to your wife! Thanks for posting the good news!

ninepointfive
02-06-2013, 06:08 PM
so this is different from what happens on Saturday?

OFFICIAL CALL
February 9, 2013
Registration begins at 8:30 am

The primary purposes of the xxxxxxx County Central Committee organizational meeting will be:
1. To elect a Chairman, External Vice-Chairman, Internal Vice-Chairman, Secretary, eight (8) female Bonus
Members, and eight (8) male Bonus Members;
2. To consider the question of having an independent financial review of the finances of the xxxxxxx County
Republican Party – Pursuant to VI-2-F-1 of the Bylaws;
3. To conduct any other business that may properly come before the County Republican Central Committee.

The primary purposes of the Legislative District Central Committee organizational meetings will be:
1. To elect a Chairman, Vice-Chairman, and Secretary for each single-county district listed above;
2. To designate appropriate vacancy committees for each single-county district listed above;
3. To conduct any other business that may properly come before the District Central Committee.

Monotaur
02-06-2013, 11:29 PM
so this is different from what happens on Saturday?

OFFICIAL CALL
February 9, 2013
Registration begins at 8:30 am

The primary purposes of the xxxxxxx County Central Committee organizational meeting will be:
1. To elect a Chairman, External Vice-Chairman, Internal Vice-Chairman, Secretary, eight (8) female Bonus
Members, and eight (8) male Bonus Members;
2. To consider the question of having an independent financial review of the finances of the xxxxxxx County
Republican Party – Pursuant to VI-2-F-1 of the Bylaws;
3. To conduct any other business that may properly come before the County Republican Central Committee.

The primary purposes of the Legislative District Central Committee organizational meetings will be:
1. To elect a Chairman, Vice-Chairman, and Secretary for each single-county district listed above;
2. To designate appropriate vacancy committees for each single-county district listed above;
3. To conduct any other business that may properly come before the District Central Committee.

No, this is exactly what we did last night. Each county is different and has their reorg meeting at different points, but I think all (or most) are this month.

Can I ask which county you are in (feel free to PM me). I know many, many of our folks are organizing for this and if you are not connected to them, you should be. PM me and I'll see if I can get you connected.

But the bottom line is, run for Bonus member to the state and congressional district assemblies. It's helpful if you are on a slate, but you will probably be outnumbered in any case. So, prepare a good speech and try to win folks over. As a side note, this is where I fell apart; I'm not a good public speaker by any stretch (yet...). Also, if you are OK with running a public meeting, try to run for House District chair, especially if your county elects delegates from the county assembly (all but 1 do). In my case, I was the only one of about 7 or so people that showed interest. Just like with most things, sometimes showing up is 80% of the solution. :)

Oh, by the way, the current state chairman (the guy who decided to note allow our guys to vote for Ron Paul at the convention) is organizing at each county and is compiling his own slate. Thankfully, his was soundly defeated at our meeting. :D But be prepared.

If we stay involved we can do this. It's not too hard, and in this off year the volume of folks is light so it's way easier to make an impact.

sailingaway
02-06-2013, 11:32 PM
Oh, by the way, the current chairman (the guy who decided to note allow our guys to vote for Ron Paul at the convention) is organizing at each county and is compiling his own slate. Thankfully, his was soundly defeated at our meeting. :D

Yet another small pleasure from staying involved....

Monotaur
02-06-2013, 11:35 PM
And thanks everyone for the +reps and encouragement!

I did find out, after getting more reports after the dust settled last night, that we did *very* well in electing liberty minded folks at all levels of our county leadership (there were simultaneous breakout sessions for different House Districts, etc).

I'm excited to look forward to the state and CD central committee meetings! I'll post the results of those later. :)

eleganz
02-06-2013, 11:36 PM
And thanks everyone for the +reps and encouragement!

I did find out, after getting more reports after the dust settled last night, that we did *very* well in electing liberty minded folks at all levels of our county leadership (there were simultaneous breakout sessions for different House Districts, etc).

I'm excited to look forward to the state and CD central committee meetings! I'll post the results of those later. :)

organization is key, well done man!

helmuth_hubener
02-06-2013, 11:46 PM
What fun, eh? Good job. Fight the power. Keep it up.

ninepointfive
02-08-2013, 09:24 PM
good luck tomorrow!