PDA

View Full Version : Introducing my new site - PaulBulletin.com - YOUR suggestions please?

Matt Collins
02-04-2013, 12:20 PM
This is not meant to compete with either RPF or DP at all. In fact it's designed to compliment both sites!

Over the last few days I have developed a website, www.PaulBulletin.com (http://www.PaulBulletin.com) which is a cross between DailyPaul and DrudgeReport. It uses the Drudge format but gives news in the same vein as the DP.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

www.PaulBulletin.com (http://www.PaulBulletin.com)

I welcome your thoughts and constructive criticism.

SEE MY SIGNATURE!!!

jj-
02-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Stopped reading at "The Collins". Read the wikipedia page about "Narcissistic Personality Disorder". Get treatment, cure yourself, and come back. You'll be more tolerable then.

Matt Collins
02-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Stopped reading at "The Collins". Read the wikipedia page about "Narcissistic Personality Disorder". Get treatment, cure yourself, and come back. You'll be more tolerable then.It's called credibility with branding :rolleyes:

Notice I didn't call it "The Collins Report" for that very reason though.

acptulsa
02-04-2013, 12:47 PM
I think the world needs more newsletters--paper, virtual or otherwise--in Ron Paul's name (or his sons' name(s))--run by people who aren't Dr. Paul like it needs a few more splendid little wars.

Branding is one thing. A lack of truth in advertising is another.

Sola_Fide
02-04-2013, 12:49 PM
You'd probably get more hits if you didn't put your name at the top Matt. Cool project though. I'm sure I'll probably click a few times.

Matt Collins
02-04-2013, 12:50 PM
I think the world needs more newsletters--paper, virtual or otherwise--in Ron Paul's name (or his sons' name(s))--run by people who aren't Dr. Paul like it needs a few more splendid little wars.There is no original content on the site, it's only a news aggregation site.

Branding is one thing. A lack of truth in advertising is another.:confused: huh?

fr33
02-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Are you using wordpress with the drudge-report theme? Or is it another type of CMS?

acptulsa
02-04-2013, 12:54 PM
There is no original content on the site, it's only a news aggregation site.

:confused: huh?

The very selection of which news gets 'aggregated' amounts to editorial content. I would never, ever post my editorial content of any stripe under someone else's name unless that person wanted me to, gave me permission to, and gave me access to him or her so I could check regularly and make sure I was doing it in a way that person could countenance.

This site operates with his name on the masthead, but it never represents itself as anything but a place to discuss Ron Paul. It doesn't purport to offer, for example, Ron Paul's picks for what news is important.

I don't think the man's name should become a synonym for libertarianism. The man's name is his name.

itshappening
02-04-2013, 12:55 PM
I think it's a good idea to have a news aggregation site, not sure if making it like Drudge is a good idea... have you tried any other formats ?

FSP-Rebel
02-04-2013, 12:56 PM
I like it and maybe it could appeal to those outside our echo chambers.

Matt Collins
02-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Are you using wordpress with the drudge-report theme? Yes, exactly.

I think it's a good idea to have a news aggregation site, not sure if making it like Drudge is a good idea... have you tried any other formats ?Well I wanted to make it simple, and familiar to people. I agree that Drudge's format isn't that great, but again, people tend to be accustomed to it.

http://www.Paper.li was suggested to me as a possible format, I'm still investigating it.

jcannon98188
02-04-2013, 01:01 PM
Now I love to attack The Collins like the rest of you, but really it is clear that this is not made by Ron Paul the same way it is clear DP and RPF are not ran by him. This is a good site. And yes, it appears the he is running the Drudge theme on WP.

Matt Collins
02-04-2013, 01:02 PM
The very selection of which news gets 'aggregated' amounts to editorial content. I would never, ever post my editorial content of any stripe under someone else's name unless that person wanted me to, gave me permission to, and gave me access to him or her so I could check regularly and make sure I was doing it in a way that person could countenance.

This site operates with his name on the masthead, but it never represents itself as anything but a place to discuss Ron Paul. It doesn't purport to offer, for example, Ron Paul's picks for what news is important.How is that any different than the DP or RPF and what they choose to post on their front pages? :confused:

jcannon98188
02-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Also, I think the Drudge Page format is probably the best format, considering how there is no OC and it is all reposts. If he was writing articles, I would def. suggest going with a online newspaper style setup, but the Drudge has everything a site like this needs.

Matt Collins
02-04-2013, 01:03 PM
I like it and maybe it could appeal to those outside our echo chambers.
Yeah, with all of the new Republicans coming on board for Rand, I want to mix news for both Ron and Rand, along with liberty type of stories (without being conspiracy stories) in hopes that with the more of this kind of content that they read the more accepting of liberty they become. In other words I'm trying to fuse the new Rand supporters to the old Ron supporters.

kathy88
02-04-2013, 01:07 PM
I actually like the Drudge style. It looks great Matt.

acptulsa
02-04-2013, 01:11 PM
How is that any different than the DP or RPF and what they choose to post on their front pages? :confused:

I already told you, but apparently I didn't find a way to get through to you.

This site and others are places to discuss Ron Paul. And this is clear. A news digest is not a place to discuss Ron Paul. 'If you like Ron Paul I think you might like this' is not, to my mind, a legitimate reason to use his name at all. The whole newsletter business is enough to convince me that I should only speak for myself, and never speak for Ron Paul (unless he were to ask me to, and we were to work out explicitly what he wants said).

Nothing in my experience with you gives me confidence that you'll safeguard the man's name and reputation. I'm not saying you won't try, I'm saying I suspect you won't succeed. Therefore, I'd rather you didn't hide behind it. If branding is a concern to you, you should concentrate on improving your own, not finding a way to shroud yourself in a brand that does have value. The latter way, you have no stake and you therefore have no reason to safeguard its good reputation.

The fewer libertarian things are done in the man's name, the fewer incidents like this will happen:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?403433-Ron-Paul-Twitter-Account

fr33
02-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Yeah I like it. Maybe tweak some fonts or colors or add a banner so it doesn't look identical to drudge.

Paper.li is the thing people use to compile links off twitter. People often tweet me links to pages they make but I rarely look at them lol

TonySutton
02-04-2013, 01:25 PM
the link is blocked here at work as potentially harmful...

jcannon98188
02-04-2013, 01:27 PM
the link is blocked here at work as potentially harmful...

Freedom is dangerous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs0ryP48drA

Matt Collins
02-04-2013, 01:41 PM
I actually like the Drudge style. It looks great Matt.Thanks, I appreciate it.

Matt Collins
02-04-2013, 01:45 PM
This site and others are places to discuss Ron Paul. And this is clear. A news digest is not a place to discuss Ron Paul. 'If you like Ron Paul I think you might like this' is not, to my mind, a legitimate reason to use his name at all. The whole newsletter business is enough to convince me that I should only speak for myself, and never speak for Ron Paul (unless he were to ask me to, and we were to work out explicitly what he wants said).I don't purport to speak for Ron at all, only during the Campaign. And I put my name on it to make it clear that it was just me, and no one else, involved in the site.

I even asked Ron and Rand's opinion, and they haven't asked me to not to use their name. If either one of them ask me not to use their name, you can bet that I'll change the site immediately.

Nothing in my experience with you gives me confidence that you'll safeguard the man's name and reputation.That's because you don't know me or anything about me apparently.

liveandletlive
02-04-2013, 02:23 PM
i like it but the Drudge era was already declared dead by liberals.

perhaps its the start of the Collins era

Matt Collins
02-04-2013, 02:27 PM
i like it but the Drudge era was already declared dead by liberals. lolz little do they know that the entire conservative world lives off of Drudge. Seriously, every talk radio show host uses it to get news for their radio show.

acptulsa
02-04-2013, 02:31 PM
That's because you don't know me or anything about me apparently.

I've seen a hell of a lot of stuff here under your names. So, if I don't know anything about you at all, then everything to appear here under your names was a lie.

I'll make a deal with you. You don't get me talking about Ron Paul's granddaughters and I won't get you talking about Ron Paul's granddaughters.

TomtheTinker
02-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Like it a lot....would of chose a different name but that's only my opinion. The Collins Chronicles...+1 though

Rudeman
02-04-2013, 04:40 PM
I like it, libertybulletin (.com already taken) or something like that would have probably been a better name since the focus is more on liberty than Paul.

Matt Collins
02-04-2013, 06:28 PM
I'll make a deal with you. You don't get me talking about Ron Paul's granddaughters and I won't get you talking about Ron Paul's granddaughters.lolwut? :confused:

acptulsa
02-04-2013, 06:32 PM
lolwut? :confused:

Don't do it. You aren't confused, and you know you don't need to go there.

mhad
02-04-2013, 06:53 PM
nice try... ever heard of http://ronpaulforpresident2012.com/ ??

parocks
02-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Site looks fine. No objections.

Occam's Banana
02-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Interesting. Bookmarked. But you spelled "Teh Collinz" wrong. ;)

SpreadOfLiberty
02-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Outstanding site!

I would suggest NOT linking RonPaulForums or DailyPaul links though. Threads aren't the same as articles.

Also, I would try to acquire as many Paulliberty domains as possible to steer traffic to the site.

ItsTime
02-04-2013, 07:07 PM
Looks good. Ill be adding some links soon.

Matt Collins
02-04-2013, 09:35 PM
nice try... ever heard of http://ronpaulforpresident2012.com/ ??I like that, I wish it was a bit easier to read though. Didn't know it existed.

EBounding
02-04-2013, 09:43 PM
I like it. The key to it being interesting though will be frequent relevant updates.

Matt Collins
02-05-2013, 11:06 AM
I like it, libertybulletin (.com already taken) or something like that would have probably been a better name since the focus is more on liberty than Paul.Well, since Rand is likely to run in 2016 I wanted to keep the Paul brand going, since it works, I mean look at the DailyPaul.

itshappening
02-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Do NOT link to RPF, this is supposed to be a secret hive. We don't want the MSM reading threads and tracking what we're doing and reporting it.

V3n
02-05-2013, 11:22 AM
I like it.

I'm not a fan of the Drudge-style, I think it looks like bad 90's Geocities or Angelfire sites, but I understand why people use it.

I think there are too many stories - it takes me too long to scroll to the bottom (I can scroll through Drudge in 3 wheel rotations, this takes me 5) - but maybe there's just a lot going on! Not that it's a bother to wheel two times more, just that it adds to a cluttered look.

Also, the left and right margins are too deep. (too much white-space on either side)
Maybe without the extra margins, I wouldn't have to scroll so far down!

I only mention because you asked for criticism - if not requested, I would just say:

"Right on! Looks great! Will definitely bookmark and visit often! Hopefully I'll see a link I submitted up there!:D"

^which is how I really feel, also!^

sailingaway
02-05-2013, 11:31 AM
I think it's a good idea to have a news aggregation site, not sure if making it like Drudge is a good idea... have you tried any other formats ?

Weren't you the one saying we should promote RPF more on twitter to get more people in here?

itshappening
02-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Weren't you the one saying we should promote RPF more on twitter to get more people in here?

Twitter is one thing but we dont want the right-wing smear machine to be watching us and reporting on our activities i.e the same people who attack Ron non-stop

sailingaway
02-05-2013, 11:44 AM
We are usually the first link up when you google Ron Paul by date, and likely Rand as well. Let those who would be constructive find us.

reagle
02-05-2013, 11:51 AM
suggestion: add a favicon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

Chester Copperpot
02-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Yeah I like it alot too... I really like that youve mixed the videos in with the headlines.... There used to be an old site kinda like this.. ronpaulforpresident2008.com but the site owner never maintained it or kept it up to date...

ninepointfive
02-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Where's the Isagenix advert? Your website is the best placement for it, and can directly fund the operations.

Matt Collins
02-05-2013, 03:02 PM
I like it. The key to it being interesting though will be frequent relevant updates.Yeah, I wish there were a way to automate it, it consumes quite a bit a time, several hours a day.

The problem with automating it is that there wouldn't be such discretion on which stories get posted

Cowlesy
02-05-2013, 03:07 PM
I think another forum member (Feelgood?) tried this with thefreedomreport.com or freedomreport.com and I don't think he got the hits required to bother to keep it updated.

http://www.freedomreport.com/

Jackie Moon
02-05-2013, 05:07 PM
I like it, looks like a good way to quickly get to the latest news.

The only suggestion I'd have is to either move up or add links near the top for the "submit a story", "subscribe", and Facebook icon if possible. They don't really stand out down there and look like they'd be easy to miss.

Also, adding a Facebook like button or the "like box" would allow someone to quickly like your page without even having to go to it.

Matt Collins
02-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Do NOT link to RPF, this is supposed to be a secret hive. We don't want the MSM reading threads and tracking what we're doing and reporting it.Too late, they do that anyway. I've seen screenshots of this place on CNN, FNC, and MSNBC before. I've seen this place quoted on the air. And I've seen reporters coming here asking to interview people.

XTreat
02-06-2013, 03:18 PM
I actually kind of like it too.

I would recommend a daily police state section like we get from AF on here.

AF really helped open my eyes to police brutality and abuse.

Perhaps you could do the same to some civilians.

sailingaway
02-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Twitter is one thing but we dont want the right-wing smear machine to be watching us and reporting on our activities i.e the same people who attack Ron non-stop

they do, though.

jmdrake
02-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Yes, exactly.

Well I wanted to make it simple, and familiar to people. I agree that Drudge's format isn't that great, but again, people tend to be accustomed to it.

http://www.Paper.li was suggested to me as a possible format, I'm still investigating it.

Paper.li is indeed interesting. I like that it's responsive (works on smartphones, tablets and desktops without re-configuring). What I want is something that will let me have an online newspaper, but then automatically covert it to print. Looking to ultimately create papers to distribute around town like one of the myriad of free newspapers out there.

fr33
02-06-2013, 04:10 PM
I think you should hire Uncle Emmanuel Watkins to blog on paulbulletin. :D

Petar
02-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Paper.li is indeed interesting. I like that it's responsive (works on smartphones, tablets and desktops without re-configuring). What I want is something that will let me have an online newspaper, but then automatically covert it to print. Looking to ultimately create papers to distribute around town like one of the myriad of free newspapers out there.

Sounds like a good idea for a WordPress theme. A theme that looks like a newspaper and also exports your site in such a way that it works for the printer. One might imagine that there could be a decent market for a theme like that.

asurfaholic
02-06-2013, 04:31 PM
i like it. good work.

I would take your name off the top though, seems cocky.

But otherwise, its great.

Occam's Banana
02-06-2013, 04:38 PM
I think you should hire Uncle Emmanuel Watkins to blog on paulbulletin. :D:eek:

jj-
02-06-2013, 04:40 PM
I think you should hire Uncle Emmanuel Watkins to blog on paulbulletin. :D

He will clarify what is Our Civil Purpose.

Confederate
02-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Too late, they do that anyway. I've seen screenshots of this place on CNN, FNC, and MSNBC before. I've seen this place quoted on the air. And I've seen reporters coming here asking to interview people.

Politico reporters have come here a few times.

Matt Collins
03-18-2013, 09:29 PM
bump