PDA

View Full Version : PA-Nine judges charged with conspiracy for rigging fines and tickets.

Anti Federalist
02-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Nine current and former Philadelphia Traffic Court judges charged in probe

February 02, 2013|By John P. Martin and Craig R. McCoy, Inquirer Staff Writers

http://articles.philly.com/2013-02-02/news/36686562_1_william-hird-philadelphia-traffic-court-judges-willie-singletary

Nine current and former Philadelphia Traffic Court judges were charged with conspiracy and fraud Thursday, capping a three-year FBI probe into what authorities said was rampant ticket-fixing and pervasive corruption on the bench.

The charges, outlined in a 77-count indictment, described "a well-understood conspiracy of silence" that created two distinct courts: one where typical citizens paid for their infractions, and a second where offenders with the right connections won acquittals or saw their fines or cases disappear.

Those charged include Michael Lowry and Michael Sullivan, two of only three judges active on a seven-member bench already depleted by scandal. Both declined to comment. Sullivan's attorney said Sullivan never solicited or took a bribe and looked forward to his vindication.

Philhelm
02-03-2013, 08:16 PM
But...but...but, only whack jobs believe in conspiracies.

kathy88
02-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Oh snap. Maybe they'll start looking into my county. Dirty little hell hole of corruption.

JK/SEA
02-03-2013, 08:22 PM
hey, were watchin' the game, pipe down will ya?

MRK
02-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Three year probe? Sounds like the FBI had something to do with this somewhere along the line. Perhaps they tipped off some of the judges during the time, demanded ransom from some for keeping them out of the probe, or maybe even set up some of the judges. This kind of thing takes 3 years to complete? Really? We pay these guys for this?

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
02-03-2013, 09:12 PM
Three year probe? Sounds like the FBI had something to do with this somewhere along the line. Perhaps they tipped off some of the judges during the time, demanded ransom from some for keeping them out of the probe, or maybe even set up some of the judges. This kind of thing takes 3 years to complete? Really? We pay these guys for this?

I was thinking the same. Judges are generally dirtbags in my experience. Why the FBI cares, I have no idea. Makes more sense that the FBI compiled a list of judges they didn't like as much and went from there.

noneedtoaggress
02-04-2013, 12:52 AM
Clearly a tax funded court monopoly is necessary to prevent corruption in the judicial system.

tod evans
02-04-2013, 05:02 AM
Fox watching the henhouse..

QWDC
02-04-2013, 05:12 AM
You mean judges can actually get in trouble for that? It's well known around here that if you know a police officer or judge your ticket will be dismissed no questions asked.

Demigod
02-04-2013, 05:26 AM
You mean judges can actually get in trouble for that? It's well known around here that if you know a police officer or judge your ticket will be dismissed no questions asked.

It is the same everywhere if you know someone in court tickets and that kind of fines are just closed in the "special" cabinet until they expire.

kathy88
02-04-2013, 05:39 AM
It is the same everywhere if you know someone in court tickets and that kind of fines are just closed in the "special" cabinet until they expire.

Case in point. There's a kid down the street who has the same first and last name as my son. My son's dad and my ex-husband (drinks with lots of cops) called him over the weekend and was like, WTF Nate? The state police just called me and told me they pulled you over and you were drunk on route 49 a couple nights ago. Nate's like, uhh... no dad, I was at mom's, and didn't go anywhere. So it was the neighborhood kid, who got out of an underage and a DUI because the idiot cops thought he was my kid.

FrankRep
02-04-2013, 08:43 AM
But...but...but, only whack jobs believe in conspiracies.

LOL. I was thinking the same.

"Conspiracies don't exist!"

oyarde
02-04-2013, 09:57 AM
I am a bit suspiciuous of a three year FBI investigation. What are the penalties for fixing tickets by these Judges if convicted?

kcchiefs6465
02-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Yup. They aren't even trying to keep it on the low anymore.

http://i.imgur.com/rMIdalZ.jpg?1

NYPD 'courtesy cards' for family, friends sold online
hxxp://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/02/16/10424755-nypd-courtesy-cards-for-family-friends-sold-online?lite

BAllen
02-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Well, in the first place, the feds have no business interfering. That's the county's job, or state. Maybe this is a pr stunt, designed to create an image that the feds are 'the good guys'.

pcosmar
02-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Every case that any of them ever presided over should be thrown out in entirety,, and all victims compensated.

phffttt! never happen.
:(

torchbearer
02-04-2013, 12:06 PM
THis is common practice in Louisiana. Two systems of justice. One for people without political connection and/or money, and another system for everyone else.
A rich kid gets away with running a meth lab, a poor kid goes to prison and get's put into prison labor camps.
Louisiana has the biggest prison population of anywhere... they are all put to work for the state and business owners with connections.
Modern day slavery via fiat.

tod evans
02-05-2013, 06:43 AM
Every case that any of them ever presided over should be thrown out in entirety,, and all victims compensated.
:(

Compensated by liquidating the judges assets and distributing the proceeds to the victims.

Even better liquidate the cops and prosecutors assets too!