PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Mike Lee pulled out of immigration "gang"

itshappening
02-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Go Mike Lee! Interesting that he pulled out and was replaced by Rubio who appears more eager to sell out conservatives.

-
How a discordant Senate band got back together on immigration

WASHINGTON — On the Saturday morning after 7 in 10 Latino voters helped return President Obama to the White House and deliver a crushing defeat to Mitt Romney, Charles E. Schumer, the Democratic senator from New York, scanned his daily list of phone messages and saw that Lindsey Graham, the Republican senator from South Carolina, had called.

Schumer dialed his number. "I saw your name on my call list, and my heart skipped a beat," he said.

"We're getting the band back together," Graham replied. "Let's do immigration."

U.S. immigration law: Decades of debate

Graham sounded buoyant, Schumer said, recalling the conversation. And Graham had more news: "McCain wants in."

Schumer said his "heart went pitter-patter" when he heard Sen. John McCain, the Arizona Republican, wanted to help broker a deal. "That meant we could get something done," he said.

Schumer and Graham had been through a lot together on immigration. They had worked with McCain on comprehensive bills in 2006 and 2007 that failed. But more recently, a push to craft another bill in 2010 never saw light, in part because McCain, who faced a tense primary challenge, spurned it.

The senators created a five-page blueprint, but they must still write a bill hundreds of pages long filled with details that will be intensely scrutinized by lawmakers and activists on the left and the right.

Schumer and Graham spoke to senators who might be interested and arranged to meet on Dec. 4 in a stately ceremonial room in the Capitol with a dramatic view of the Washington Monument.

Schumer came with Democratic Sens. Robert Menendez of New Jersey and Richard J. Durbin of Illinois. Graham and McCain brought fellow Republican Sen. Mike Lee of Utah.

The group set an ambitious goal: to write a bill that could win support from the left-leaning Congressional Hispanic Caucus plus enough Republicans to pass the Senate by a wide margin.

It was clear to the senators that one voice could prove crucial to their hope to sell a plan to conservatives: Sen. Marco Rubio, a Florida Republican and Cuban American with conservative credentials, who could become a champion untainted by past scars over immigration.

Soon after that meeting, Durbin was in the Senate gym and spotted Rubio pedaling a stationary bike.

The two were consistently among the earliest to arrive, often showing up at 5:30 a.m., and had become friendly. Both see immigration as a humanitarian issue. Durbin is a descendant of Irish and Eastern European immigrants; Rubio's parents left Cuba for a better life in Florida in 1956.

"Marco, you got to be there," Durbin said. "I want you there because of your position in the party."

There was a catch: Rubio, like all senators in the group, had to agree that any bill would create a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants and would emphasize family unification.

"Are you willing to accept these two things?" Durbin asked.

"Yes," Rubio said. "Of course, I want to talk about how it's done."

Rubio had his own conditions: to ramp up border security first and make sure illegal immigrants go to the back of the line when applying for legal permanent residency, among other things.

Durbin called Schumer: Rubio was in.

"I have gotten more done in the Senate gym than almost any room in the Capitol complex," said Durbin, who described the encounter while in his Capitol office, where he keeps a copy of his Lithuanian mother's naturalization paper framed behind glass with the receipt for the fee she paid: $2.50.

As Rubio came on board, Lee stepped aside. He didn't agree with the emerging consensus on the pathway to legal status and the proposal to give agricultural workers a faster path to citizenship.

Rubio attended the second meeting on Dec. 12. The session was especially productive, as the senators homed

in on a set of shared principles. Staff members were asked to clear up some technical questions.

When the senators made plans to meet in the days ahead, McCain objected.

"Why can't we meet tomorrow?" McCain said. "Have the staff do it tonight."

It was a sign not only of eagerness among the Republicans to reach a deal, but also of the awareness that the political window opened by the election could slam shut.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-immigration-20130203,0,3809359,full.story

Agorism
02-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Who are the gang's members again?

supermario21
02-03-2013, 05:52 PM
McCain, Graham, Rubio, Flake, Schumer, Durbin, Bennet, and Menendez. I think Lee is aligned with Rand on the issue.

Anti Federalist
02-03-2013, 06:00 PM
WASHINGTON — On the Saturday morning after 7 in 10 Latino voters helped return President Obama to the White House and deliver a crushing defeat to Mitt Romney, Charles E. Schumer, the Democratic senator from New York, scanned his daily list of phone messages and saw that Lindsey Graham, the Republican senator from South Carolina, had called.

Schumer dialed his number. "I saw your name on my call list, and my heart skipped a beat," he said.

"We're getting the band back together," Graham replied. "Let's do immigration."

Ptui...gah...I just threw up in my mouth.

Feeding the Abscess
02-03-2013, 06:24 PM
McCain, Graham, Rubio, Flake, Schumer, Durbin, Bennet, and Menendez. I think Lee is aligned with Rand on the issue.

Lee is supportive of E-Verify. I would hope Rand opposes it.

sailingaway
02-03-2013, 06:33 PM
I have to say it isn't a good sign of what they are up to. I disagree with Lee on things but he is good on the Constitution.

Anti Federalist
02-03-2013, 06:37 PM
McCain, Graham, Rubio, Flake, Schumer, Durbin, Bennet, and Menendez

Axis of Evil

Confederate
02-03-2013, 06:39 PM

Damn, it kept beating.

mad cow
02-03-2013, 06:42 PM
Lee is supportive of E-Verify. I would hope Rand opposes it.

I am in favor of E-Verify,it takes the onus of proof off of the employer and places it back in the lap of the government that wrote the laws where it belongs.

I would hope that Rand supports it.

Anti Federalist
02-03-2013, 06:52 PM
I am in favor of E-Verify,it takes the onus of proof off of the employer and places it back in the lap of the government that wrote the laws where it belongs.

I would hope that Rand supports it.

The stance I take and hope that Rand does, is that neither government or employers should have the right to snoop around in databases just to hold a job.

Carson
02-03-2013, 07:00 PM
I'd feel more comfortable if they would uphold some of the laws of the past.

Do we need a new batch of lies?

mad cow
02-03-2013, 08:40 PM
The stance I take and hope that Rand does, is that neither government or employers should have the right to snoop around in databases just to hold a job.

Yep.Meanwhile,it is against the law to hire illegal aliens and employers have been fined millions of dollars for doing it.
E-Verify takes less than ten minutes,often less than two,and the employer is off the hook and the employee has some recourse if the gov. gets it wrong.

On a personal note,15 or20 years ago,the USCG took a fisherman off of my boat for having a forged green card.
I was already limited by fed law to the number of crew I could have,so I could either finish the trip and make less money or go home right then and make less money.I went home.This is all without a fine or other punishment to me involved.

I asked the CG dude what would he do if I stopped hiring brown guys with accents and he had no answer,but I am sure that is also against fed. law.It is not my job to verify papers that I don't care about but could be punished for if they turn out to be fake.