PDA

View Full Version : Be watching for 'gun control' superbowl ads

nobody's_hero
02-03-2013, 09:52 AM
I mean, seriously, WTF?

Supposedly ads are going to be showing up on the superbowl breaks and they're not the funny superbowl ads we're used to seeing. We're talking full-blown propaganda bullshit.

Although, I wonder if spectators of a sport where men aggressively squabble over a piece of leather is going to be the best audience for heart-string tugging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWV4Bg8udcA

Furthermore, running ads in the superbowl is EXTREMELY cost prohibitive and I'm just wondering where in the hell they're getting the funding?

I suspect that it may just be rumor and you won't actually see this ad during the superbowl.

Here's one with mayor Bloombag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3rPOIjN0ho

"it's a patriotic thing to do"

If we find out that our tax dollars went to fund this shit, the NFL is going to be swamped with emails.

I don't have T.V. so just a heads up for you guys to be looking for this stuff.

cajuncocoa
02-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Although, I wonder if spectators of a sport where men aggressively squabble over a piece of leather is going to be the best audience for heart-string tugging.Gun control propaganda backfired (pun intended) miserably on NBC when Bob Costas preached it during the halftime of a regular season game about 2 months ago....the Sunday night game right after the murder-suicide of Jovan Belcher and his gf. OTOH, the Super Bowl audience is quite different from that of a regular season game.

nobody's_hero
02-03-2013, 10:11 AM
NEW YORK (AP) — A gun control group founded by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is airing an advertisement during the Super Bowl calling for background checks.

The 30-second spot by Mayors Against Illegal Guns will air in the Washington area during the third quarter of the game between the Baltimore Ravens and San Francisco 49ers.

The ad calls on lawmakers to pass rules requiring background checks on guns. It is narrated by children, with "America the Beautiful" playing in the background.

It includes decades-old footage of National Rifle Association Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre saying the gun lobby group approves of the checks. LaPierre recently testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee that the NRA no longer supports background checks for all gun sales.

A Bloomsberg spokesman would say only that the ad cost in the six-figure range.

Mayors Against Illegal Guns is a coalition of more than 800 mayors from 44 states.
http://online.wsj.com/article/AP84e0e5ed2d0d45d48b25a602dd91a55f.html

So is this a political ad or what? Not exactly? It's an attempt to inspire political action, right?

I think if we were running ads to promote freedom they would say "no, that's political" but since this is an ad in support of government nuts running our lives I suppose it's okay.

I'm gonna boycott the NFL if this ad shows up today. Oh wait, I already don't watch football. Hmmm . . .I'll start watching just so I can tell them I quit.

kathy88
02-03-2013, 10:15 AM
The crowd will go apeshit booing. Maybe it will be a good thing.

cajuncocoa
02-03-2013, 10:16 AM
NEW YORK (AP) — A gun control group founded by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is airing an advertisement during the Super Bowl calling for background checks.

The 30-second spot by Mayors Against Illegal Guns will air in the Washington area during the third quarter of the game between the Baltimore Ravens and San Francisco 49ers.

The ad calls on lawmakers to pass rules requiring background checks on guns. It is narrated by children, with "America the Beautiful" playing in the background.

It includes decades-old footage of National Rifle Association Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre saying the gun lobby group approves of the checks. LaPierre recently testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee that the NRA no longer supports background checks for all gun sales.

A Bloomsberg spokesman would say only that the ad cost in the six-figure range.

Mayors Against Illegal Guns is a coalition of more than 800 mayors from 44 states.

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP84e0e5ed2d0d45d48b25a602dd91a55f.htmlChildren from Sandy Hook Elementary perhaps? I mean, why just pull random kids for the ad when you can go for the real tear-jerker? :rolleyes:

tod evans
02-03-2013, 10:17 AM
I haven't watched a super-bowl in well over 35 years, don't intend to start now.

Origanalist
02-03-2013, 10:17 AM
The NFL is PC central.

cajuncocoa
02-03-2013, 10:18 AM
The crowd will go apeshit booing. Maybe it will be a good thing.
That was my original thought too, but I remembered that the Super Bowl has viewers who haven't watched 5 minutes of a game in the regular season, and some of them don't know what a football looks like. If it was a regular football crowd, it would fail miserably!!

cajuncocoa
02-03-2013, 10:20 AM
The NFL is PC central.
Yeah, but NFL fans... not so much.

nobody's_hero
02-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Apparently this is the one they're going to air from the description in the AP article:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO1iBHFrC4I

itshappening
02-03-2013, 10:29 AM
The funding is coming from Bloomberg, he's a billionaire.

nobody's_hero
02-03-2013, 10:32 AM
The funding is coming from Bloomberg, he's a billionaire.

When does he run out of money, lol? The guy's been blowing money on stupid shit like this his whole life.

rprprs
02-03-2013, 10:36 AM
I haven't watched a super-bowl in well over 35 years, don't intend to start now.
Not exactly what I'd call a free-market alternative... but this is pretty funny, nonetheless...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKn-Pa5ELg4

itshappening
02-03-2013, 10:37 AM
When does he run out of money, lol? The guy's been blowing money on stupid shit like this his whole life.

He's worth about $20bn, he still owns like 90% of Bloomberg. Since he's been mayor he's doubled in value or something. I'm sure it helps his business

kathy88
02-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Children from Sandy Hook Elementary perhaps? I mean, why just pull random kids for the ad when you can go for the real tear-jerker? :rolleyes:

No, they will be busy singing the National Anthem.

pcosmar
02-03-2013, 11:05 AM
He has friendsfiends with deep pockets.(and printing presses)

beaven
02-03-2013, 11:19 AM
The NFL was designed for TV. TV is designed for idiots. Spend this afternoon doing something intelligent.

belian78
02-03-2013, 12:04 PM
The NFL was designed for TV. TV is designed for idiots. Spend this afternoon doing something intelligent.
Absolutely untrue. I'm not even a big football fan, but I know the sport was created for the spirit of competition, not for TV revenue dollars. And I'd watch who I call idiots, there's actually quite a few well known players that are outspoken supporters of Ron Paul and liberty beliefs.

belian78
02-03-2013, 12:06 PM
On point however, as others have said, there will be soccer moms and metrosexual men watching today that normally wouldn't. They will most certainly tune in onto these propaganda segments.

Anti Federalist
02-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Bread and Circuses.

Turn it off...

NCGOPer_for_Paul
02-03-2013, 01:05 PM
I just saw an ad for "See Something, Say Something" during the NBC hockey game of the week (Penguins/Capitals), sponsored by all the major sports leagues. WTF?

Anti Federalist
02-03-2013, 01:14 PM
I just saw an ad for "See Something, Say Something" during the NBC hockey game of the week (Penguins/Capitals), sponsored by all the major sports leagues. WTF?

Turn it off...

Danke
02-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Bread and Circuses.

Turn it off...

DVR, so I just fast forward the commercials.

NCGOPer_for_Paul
02-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Turn it off...

Sorry, man, I'm a sports fan. Outside of "news", old Seinfeld episodes, an occasional movie, and an occassional History/Discovery show, sports is about only thing that's on television at this house.

Nobody has watched a network show (outside of sports) in this house in at least 7 years.

HOLLYWOOD
02-03-2013, 02:10 PM
The NFL is PC central.3 Weeks ago(1/5/2013) ESPN had their pre NFL playoff programming called Sunday NFL Countdown. They showed a special on players, which included the infamous statement on the football field from Texans running back Arian Foster talking with a ref about one player being a Democrat and the other being a Republican... then saying, "I'm with the Green party, I'm voting for Ron Paul..."

They cut out(audio edited) the "I'm voting for Ron Paul" comment by Foster.

ESPN aka Capital Cities aka Liberal Communist ABC American Broadcasting Company... we know too well those propagandists out of New York City, control the airwaves to the least suspecting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAmfsVkjfLU

PatriotOne
02-03-2013, 02:51 PM

I don't think I have watched a commercial in at least 5 yrs. DVR for the win!

mad cow
02-03-2013, 04:38 PM

I don't have cable,just over the air antenna and I have TIVO just for that purpose.

Danke
02-03-2013, 05:04 PM
I don't have cable,just over the air antenna and I have TIVO just for that purpose.

Same.

pcosmar
02-03-2013, 05:14 PM
I don't really care for Football,, But I have enjoyed some of the ads in years past.

Perhaps both the good and bad ones will be on YouTube later.

noneedtoaggress
02-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Absolutely untrue. I'm not even a big football fan, but I know the sport was created for the spirit of competition, not for TV revenue dollars. And I'd watch who I call idiots, there's actually quite a few well known players that are outspoken supporters of Ron Paul and liberty beliefs.

He didn't say football was designed for TV. He said the NFL was designed for TV, and while that might not have been why it was originally formed, he's still got a point. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_on_television)

The television rights to broadcast National Football League (NFL) games are the most lucrative and expensive rights of any American sport. It was television that brought professional football into prominence in the modern era after World War II. Since then, NFL broadcasts have become among the most-watched programs on American television, and the financial fortunes of entire networks have rested on owning NFL broadcasting rights. This has raised questions about the impartiality of the networks' coverage of games and whether they can criticize the NFL without fear of losing the rights and their income.

Anti Federalist
02-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Sooooo, were they aired, or not?

noneedtoaggress
02-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Turn it off...

:p

Andrew Ryan
02-03-2013, 10:19 PM

I didn't see any gun control ads, although I did leave the room a few times during commercial breaks...

Koz
02-03-2013, 10:45 PM
I didn't see any.

Rudeman
02-03-2013, 11:02 PM
I didn't see it either. Maybe it was a local ad.

fr33
02-03-2013, 11:05 PM
conspiracy theorists! :p;)

JK/SEA
02-03-2013, 11:36 PM
I saw a Soda Stream commercial...anybody else?

Keith and stuff
02-04-2013, 12:36 AM
There was an ad promoting the Kennedy family.

Occam's Banana
02-04-2013, 12:54 AM
[...] a sport where men aggressively squabble over a piece of leather [...]

<pants state="wet"/>

beaven
02-11-2013, 05:54 AM

NFL != Football

GunnyFreedom
02-11-2013, 06:03 AM
NFL != Football

handegg