PDA

View Full Version : Postal Service says it’s immune from local traffic laws -- and response

sailingaway
02-03-2013, 12:02 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/usps-immune-local-traffic-laws-165944476.html

Anti Federalist
02-03-2013, 12:18 AM
In battle against ATS and their ever fucking surveillance cameras, the broke ass city vs. the Post Office...

I'm rooting for the Post Office.

Carson
02-03-2013, 12:21 AM
They do have the right of way.

Like if a bridge is out and reopens they are first in line.

As to how far the right of way reaches I've never heard of the issue being pushed.

sailingaway
02-03-2013, 12:23 AM
They have to follow ministerial laws, but the traffic laws themselves usually give them some leeway.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I thought it was entertaining

mrsat_98
02-03-2013, 04:19 AM
The signs are federally regulated traffic control devices.The road is more than likely touched by federal funds rendering it a federal area within a federal state. This could get interesting.

NCGOPer_for_Paul
02-03-2013, 07:21 AM
I thought they still had to somewhat obey stop signs, red lights, etc. I don't think they have the right to blast through a red light, although I thought they could turn right on red, even if there was a sign.

The trucks drive on the wrong side of the street here to deliver mail to the box. Never thought there was anything wrong with that.

Anti Federalist
02-03-2013, 11:54 AM
I thought they still had to somewhat obey stop signs, red lights, etc. I don't think they have the right to blast through a red light, although I thought they could turn right on red, even if there was a sign.

The trucks drive on the wrong side of the street here to deliver mail to the box. Never thought there was anything wrong with that.

There isn't.

But the surveillance grid doesn't think so.

Michael Landon
02-03-2013, 07:24 PM
I'm a carrier with the PO and both the management and union instruct us to follow all the traffic laws. I'm curious to see how this turns out.

- ML

ClydeCoulter
02-03-2013, 08:01 PM
No reckless driving, otherwise, what's the problem?
Why are there red lights, stop signs, etc...?
To protect life and limb, assist with fairness, and/or to ease the flow of persons/goods.
Oh 'merica, 'merica, where art common sense?

alucard13mmfmj
02-03-2013, 08:16 PM
I'm a carrier with the PO and both the management and union instruct us to follow all the traffic laws. I'm curious to see how this turns out.

- ML

Someone joked around at how hard it is to get fired from the post office.

Let's say you are a carrier and delivered mail. Let's say you carried a gun. You get surprised by a dog while in someone's yard and you shot and killed it. You will get arrested and sentence to jail. You won't get fired for having a gun or shooting the dog. You will get fired for not showing up for work cause your in jail.

lolz.

I got a question Michael Landon,
So I finished my casual mail handler contract, which ended january 1st. I lost my cell phone during new years party. The supervisor apparently called me that week to tell me that I should continue on the 7th. I didn't know about it until she called me on the 7th on my home phone, which she looked up at MDO. I told her I couldnt go to work. She sounded kinda upset.

So Today I got a letter saying that I quit.

I am kinda puzzled. I didn't sign anything to continue the contract or anything. It is strange that they assume I'd be coming to work again if they couldn't reach me. I am kinda puzzled if I have to put that 1 day for future work history for other jobs...

I also assume the supervisor does not like me after the 7th. ;(.

ronpaulfollower999
02-03-2013, 08:25 PM
The mail vehicles have no license plate. That always bothered me...

presence
02-03-2013, 08:28 PM
No reckless driving, otherwise, what's the problem?
Why are there red lights, stop signs, etc...?
To protect life and limb, assist with fairness, and/or to ease the flow of persons/goods.
Oh 'merica, 'merica, where art common sense?

Where I am with traffic law, is it should all be "traffic SUGGESTION". Harm is foul. No harm is no foul. Harm aggravated by failure to abide public suggestion is harm upon harm. But NO harm when failing to abide public decree is STILL NO HARM in my eye. I think we should all have the rights of the postman up until we cause harm.

ClydeCoulter
02-03-2013, 08:38 PM
Where I am with traffic law, is it should all be "traffic SUGGESTION". Harm is foul. No harm is no foul. Harm aggravated by failure to abide public suggestion is harm upon harm. But NO harm when failing to abide public decree is STILL NO HARM in my eye. I think we should all have the rights of the postman up until we cause harm.

I'm pretty well with that. Although, I would hate to have to go home and get my tank out to get one lane to give cross traffic a turn :D

Michael Landon
02-03-2013, 08:44 PM
I got a question Michael Landon,
So I finished my casual mail handler contract, which ended january 1st. I lost my cell phone during new years party. The supervisor apparently called me that week to tell me that I should continue on the 7th. I didn't know about it until she called me on the 7th on my home phone, which she looked up at MDO. I told her I couldnt go to work. She sounded kinda upset.

So Today I got a letter saying that I quit.

I am kinda puzzled. I didn't sign anything to continue the contract or anything. It is strange that they assume I'd be coming to work again if they couldn't reach me. I am kinda puzzled if I have to put that 1 day for future work history for other jobs...

I also assume the supervisor does not like me after the 7th. ;(.

I'm not too familiar with the Mailhandler contracts.

- ML