PDA

View Full Version : State House Blocks Obama Gun Laws (Wyoming)

sailingaway
02-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Wyoming’s House of Representatives has passed legislation that attempts to exempt the state from proposed federal regulations restricting assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.

The law would also charge federal officials who try to enforce the ban with a misdemeanor, reports CBS.

The state could have problems enforcing its own law. The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that federal laws supersede state laws. It’s uncertain whether the block would be legally enforceable.

President Barack Obama has called for reinstituting a federal assault weapons ban following the shootings in Connecticut in December that killed 20 elementary school students. However, it’s far from certain whether there are enough Republicans who would join with Democrats to pass a renewal of the ban, as Republicans in general have been cool to the idea.

The Wyoming House also preliminarily approved a bill that would allow residents who hold permits to carry weapons on public school campuses, colleges, and on the grounds of the University of Wyoming.

Read more: http://conservativebyte.com/2013/02/state-house-blocks-obama-gun-laws/#ixzz2Jkv4Ce3L

//

Anti Federalist
02-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Let it start here...

pcosmar
02-02-2013, 03:41 PM
It’s uncertain whether the block would be legally enforceable.

Depends on if anyone has the balls to make it Physically enforceable.

leverguy
02-02-2013, 03:49 PM
"The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that federal laws supersede state laws."

Yeah, to hell with that whole 10th Amendment thing...

This could get interesting.

tsai3904
02-02-2013, 03:55 PM
The bill was gutted by an amendment during 2nd reading (it needs to be read and passed three times).

HB104 was just gutted with a 2nd reading amendment. They added an amendment that WILL allow the federal government to come take our guns away. The amendment says that only state officials may not take them away. This completely destroys the purpose of the bill. I will be running an amendment to change it back on 3rd reading. Hopefully it will pass.

But after some outrage from people, the original bill was restored and passed

Victory! HB104 passed the house 46-13 with 1 excused! And - even better - my amendment to restore the bill passed. My amendment passed 31-28. And we got a recorded vote so you will be able to see how everyone voted on the amendment. I will post a link (probably on Monday) after it is posted on the state website.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kendell-Kroeker-Wyoming-House-District-35/111603015518585

Occam's Banana
02-02-2013, 04:09 PM
The state could have problems enforcing its own law.
How so?

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that federal laws supersede state laws.
So what?

It’s uncertain whether the block would be legally enforceable.
Repeat yourself much? This is just saying "The state could have problems enforcing its own law." all over again. So I repeat: how so?

Oh, wait ... I see ... you weren't actually trying to say anything substantive ...

You were just trying to smuggle in the self-justifying canard that SCOTUS is the be-all end-all justification for whatever the Fedcoats want by embedding it between identically unsupported assertions.

In that case, never mind me, Carry on, Mr. "Journalist", carry on ...

sailingaway
02-02-2013, 05:46 PM
The bill was gutted by an amendment during 2nd reading (it needs to be read and passed three times).

But after some outrage from people, the original bill was restored and passed

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kendell-Kroeker-Wyoming-House-District-35/111603015518585

thank you!