PDA

View Full Version : House of Cards new TV on Netflix

gwax23
02-01-2013, 07:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULwUzF1q5w4

Check it out if you have netflix. Very Well made.

Im on the second episode. A Libertarian guy is a prominent Character.

Apparently they think we are all crazy conspiracy theorists who dont shower, sniff coke, and get ass? I guess its better than we should expect atleast they portray us as getting some.

Who knows maybe in a year the media will portray us as clean shaven and visibly employed.

Aratus
02-02-2013, 04:15 PM
as the election heats up? hopefully?

Trigonx
02-02-2013, 08:26 PM
I'm just starting the third episode. So far I am liking it.

GunnyFreedom
02-02-2013, 11:53 PM
OK, almost finished with episode 1... still looking for the libertarian guy who is a prominent character....

GunnyFreedom
02-03-2013, 01:07 AM
OK, moving on to ep 3, I'm hating the blonde wife of the majority whip with a passion.

and still no libertarians. Where the libertarian at???

not bad so far. not exceptionally good either. But would be a lot better had there been some kind of libertarian here... lol

ETA -- made it through 6 episodes. It's intriguing enough but I still haven't found a libertarian. :( I think they had a news anchor say the word 'libertarian' once in ep 2, that's about as close as I've seen.

gwax23
02-03-2013, 10:50 AM
OK, moving on to ep 3, I'm hating the blonde wife of the majority whip with a passion.

and still no libertarians. Where the libertarian at???

not bad so far. not exceptionally good either. But would be a lot better had there been some kind of libertarian here... lol

ETA -- made it through 6 episodes. It's intriguing enough but I still haven't found a libertarian. :( I think they had a news anchor say the word 'libertarian' once in ep 2, that's about as close as I've seen.

OMG I hate that c**t.

Shes the stereotypical superficial elitist.

Anyway episode 2. Russo goes to the guys house who wrote some Article in college. I forget.

RabbitMan
02-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Loving the show so far! Bravo Netflix!

Spacey is perfect for his part and manages to carry the whole show with him; actually everyone is exceptionally well acted, even if some characters are obvious archetypes. The concept is so fascinating, with the Minority Whip being the obvious central character yet so much going on not directly involving him. In a strange twist, he (and he alone) addresses the viewer directly at times, which leads to a lot of *wink wink* moments and inside jokes as if you are an old friend with whom he is sharing his day-to-day life with.

The libertarian guy mentioned isn't really that central of a character. Nor is he really a libertarian. He's just a classic 'nut-job' one character is sent to in order to be out of the way. And by the way, what libertarians should there be in a story about wheeling and dealing corrupt life in D.C.? Doesn't make sense historically or fictionally.

gwax23
02-03-2013, 12:14 PM

Spacey is perfect for his part and manages to carry the whole show with him; actually everyone is exceptionally well acted, even if some characters are obvious archetypes. The concept is so fascinating, with the Minority Whip being the obvious central character yet so much going on not directly involving him. In a strange twist, he (and he alone) addresses the viewer directly at times, which leads to a lot of *wink wink* moments and inside jokes as if you are an old friend with whom he is sharing his day-to-day life with.

The libertarian guy mentioned isn't really that central of a character. Nor is he really a libertarian. He's just a classic 'nut-job' one character is sent to in order to be out of the way. And by the way, what libertarians should there be in a story about wheeling and dealing corrupt life in D.C.? Doesn't make sense historically or fictionally.

All true

GunnyFreedom
02-03-2013, 12:42 PM
OMG I hate that c**t.

Shes the stereotypical superficial elitist.

Anyway episode 2. Russo goes to the guys house who wrote some Article in college. I forget.

Oh that guy! I actually had him pegged as an anarcho-communist. :p

ETA -- Made it to ep 9 so far. I may keep watching because the political intrigues are pretty accurate to my experience, and gaining the working knowledge of those same kinds of intrigues played out on Capitol Hill may help enhance my strategic capability somewhat when dealing in this dirty dirty game.

gwax23
02-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Oh that guy! I actually had him pegged as an anarcho-communist. :p

ETA -- Made it to ep 9 so far. I may keep watching because the political intrigues are pretty accurate to my experience, and gaining the working knowledge of those same kinds of intrigues played out on Capitol Hill may help enhance my strategic capability somewhat when dealing in this dirty dirty game.

Id say the same. The show labeled him as a libertarian though. Shows how little they know about Libertarianism.

GunnyFreedom
02-03-2013, 12:54 PM

I admit, I am starving for some kind of drama where a liberty-minded person is in some high office and twists all of this intrigue all back on itself and forces a win out of impossible circumstances...

But then, that's what we are actually trying to do in real life, so I'm not going to anticipate a whole lot of support in the mainstream. However, 21st Century Americans being what we are, if we COULD manage to field a gripping drama about a lone libertarian, or a lonely cabal of libertarians facing extraordinary situations and political intrigue to save the country in spite of itself a David v Goliath type morality tale where the liberty people defeat big corrupt government...that would likely do as much to establish popular acceptance of our philosophy than a dozen candidates for Congress. :(

Yeah, not going to happen unless we produce it ourselves. High enough production values and good writers and it'd be popular enough to pay for itself I am sure... but you'd likely need a cool million up front to carry you through the first 6-8 months until you had a positive cash flow.

GunnyFreedom
02-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Id say the same. The show labeled him as a libertarian though. Shows how little they know about Libertarianism.

Hm, I do remember a news anchor calling the guy who didn't get confirmed for SOS 'libertarian,' and interestingly enough they had nothing against him so they manufactured hatred for Israel out of thin air and used it to crush him politically. Now that was pretty accurate.... lol

Peace Piper
02-03-2013, 01:09 PM
I admit, I am starving for some kind of drama where a liberty-minded person is in some high office and twists all of this intrigue all back on itself and forces a win out of impossible circumstances....

Not exact but close- Secret State (UK)
delves into the relationship between a democratically elected government, the military and big business.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_State_(TV_miniseries)

(stream it free here:http://www.watchseries-online.eu/2012/11/secret-state-1x1-episode-1.html )

HOC after an hour is mildly interesting, I guess... but US tv just sucks compared to almost anything British.

Like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_State_Within or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Enemy_(TV_series)

Off to try hour 2...

GunnyFreedom
02-03-2013, 07:47 PM
made it to ep 10 HOC, still hate blondie, but I am rooting for her to destroy her husband.

there is nothing but a plethora of evil people on this show. Not one person among the whole bunch to look up to. Not one person in the whole show is operating on principles or ideals, well, maybe except for a single liberal who got fired because her ideals got in the way of the corrupt politicians....

gwax23
02-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Hm, I do remember a news anchor calling the guy who didn't get confirmed for SOS 'libertarian,' and interestingly enough they had nothing against him so they manufactured hatred for Israel out of thin air and used it to crush him politically. Now that was pretty accurate.... lol

No no no.

The SOS candidate wasnt supposed to be a libertarian. Some guy he went to college with and formerly worked with on a school paper was a 'Libertarian" (Anarcho Communist type). He wrote an Anti Israel piece 30 years prior while the SOS Candidate was editor of the paper. They tried to pin the story on the SOS candidate to discredit him. It worked.

GunnyFreedom
02-03-2013, 08:53 PM
No no no.

The SOS candidate wasnt supposed to be a libertarian. Some guy he went to college with and formerly worked with on a school paper was a 'Libertarian" (Anarcho Communist type). He wrote an Anti Israel piece 30 years prior while the SOS Candidate was editor of the paper. They tried to pin the story on the SOS candidate to discredit him. It worked.

The TV announcer called the SOS candidat a 'libertarian' (not party, philosophy) before the conspiracy guy was even revealed. I remember that clear as a bell.

GunnyFreedom
02-03-2013, 09:03 PM
LOL - Made it to ep 11 of HOC, and I literally want every single character in the entire show to die a horrible lingering and painful death... :p Well, maybe except for the young reporter. She should be the lone survivor. :D

gwax23
02-03-2013, 11:49 PM
Just finished the series and I have similar sentiments. For the show to make people have such emotions means they def did a good job.

My predictions for the second season...

the whore dies before the 2nd episode. She knows too much.

I want moar and I want it now.

Peace Piper
02-04-2013, 05:46 AM
Apparently they think we are all crazy conspiracy theorists who dont shower, sniff coke, and get ass? I guess its better than we should expect atleast they portray us as getting some.

Who knows maybe in a year the media will portray us as clean shaven and visibly employed.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/7859/houseofcardss01e02websi.jpg

Introducing....The Libertarian!

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/3552/watchhouseofcards2013s0.jpg

This series needs some lighting...

So far-
http://fitnowtraining.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/fnyawn.jpg

nasaal
02-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Absolutely loved the show. Only real problem I had with it is that spacey delivered his lines better than they were written. I've given up caring about political ideology on television and luckily this show didn't try to hand me much of it. Just very clearly displayed the nature of power. Absolutely love the money vs power explanation. Anyway, I for whatever reason hope the majority whip doesn't get caught. He's too well acted to go away.

Demigod
02-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Got to episode 7 and there are no more uploads :( and I really want to see what happens with Peter Russo and the Vice President because I am sure he has a plan that involves the Vice-President to become the President.

Schifference
02-04-2013, 01:20 PM
made it to ep 10 HOC, still hate blondie, but I am rooting for her to destroy her husband.

there is nothing but a plethora of evil people on this show. Not one person among the whole bunch to look up to. Not one person in the whole show is operating on principles or ideals, well, maybe except for a single liberal who got fired because her ideals got in the way of the corrupt politicians....
I saw nothing wrong with the photographer.

KingNothing
02-04-2013, 01:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULwUzF1q5w4

Check it out if you have netflix. Very Well made.

Im on the second episode. A Libertarian guy is a prominent Character.

Well, that guy was actually insane. Was he a libertarian, though? Wasn't he accused of also being a far left radical?

In any event, the show is great. I finished the entire first season and am very eager for season two.

KingNothing
02-04-2013, 01:45 PM

Yep. it's realistic.

:)

KingNothing
02-04-2013, 01:46 PM
I saw nothing wrong with the photographer.

He was an annoyingly emotional d-bag. I guess he was a decent guy, though. I guess. Meh.

He was a nice counter to Spacey, I supposed.

KingNothing
02-04-2013, 01:47 PM
No no no.

The SOS candidate wasnt supposed to be a......

LOL! Spoiler alert!!!

Schifference
02-04-2013, 02:03 PM
He was an annoyingly emotional d-bag. I guess he was a decent guy, though. I guess. Meh.

He was a nice counter to Spacey, I supposed.
What more could you ask for? He was sincere and did not fuck anyone over!

Demigod
02-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Watched 10th episode now,and I think this show portrays politicians really well.So far except for the humanitarian girl that works for Claire there has not been one decent person in the whole show.And I really had hopes for Russo.

thehungarian
02-04-2013, 04:34 PM
I'm about halfway through and so far I really enjoy it. Kevin Spacey is fucking fantastic as Underwood; I imagine Eric Cantor is something like him.

Also, I didn't realize it was directed by David Fincher until about the fourth episode. But now that I know it should have been fairly obvious, it's got his style all over it.

green73
02-17-2013, 11:42 PM
Watched the first two episodes. I'd say it's libertarian in that it doesn't laud the gov't, rather it shows what a corrupt farce it all is.

green73
02-18-2013, 12:40 AM
LOL @ episode three. Asian charity lady says Google offered her a six-figure salary to fill a diversity quota.

Are you kidding me? I bet Google is 75% Asian. First real head scratcher.

Edit:
Actually the first head scratcher was the young reporter going on CNN to talk about her rising career. Like that ever happens. Sidenote: WTF is up with all these cable news clowns doing cameos in shows these days? Must be a new perk for being Establishment mouthpieces.

Occam's Banana
02-18-2013, 02:19 AM
Good show. Just finished watching season one a day or two ago. Looking forward to season two. Shows the nature of power (and lust for power) in all its ugly perfidiousness.

Spacey absolutely kills it. I especially like the occasional asides he makes to the camera/audience - a very well executed device, IMO.

*** SPOILER ALERT BELOW *** SPOILER ALERT BELOW *** SPOILER ALERT BELOW ***

*** SPOILER ALERT *** DO NOT READ (if you don't want to know) *** SPOILER ALERT ***

The only major flaw is the "resolution" of the "Russo situation". That was VERY disappointing. It was much too crude and cliched. I saw it coming the moment they returned to the parking garage (I recalled the enclosed parking units and thought, "Oh, no! They're not gonna ...." Alas, yes. They're gonna.). They should have handled it in a LIHOP fashion, rather than go down the MIHOP avenue. Russo was teetering on the brink as it was. If Underwood had just let him go over the edge (rather than taking an active hand), it would have been more powerful, more subtle and more existentially horrid. And Underwood would still have been just as compromised if the truth ever came out about what really happened. I am very dissapoint.

green73
02-20-2013, 11:39 PM
LOL. Episode 10. The White House chief of staff can't get her kid into Stanford? hahahaha, ya right.

Show has lost a bit of its punch as well.

angelatc
02-21-2013, 12:28 AM
I admit, I am starving for some kind of drama where a liberty-minded person is in some high office and twists all of this intrigue all back on itself and forces a win out of impossible circumstances...

Not quite the same but Continuum on SciFi might have a libertarian leaning hero. Long story, but the main character thinks she's with the good guys, but a couple of scenes so far have made me wonder if she might find out otherwise. But it will probably be anti-corporation instead of pro-liberty.

ShaneEnochs
02-21-2013, 01:01 AM
Holy shit this show gets dark around the 10th or 11th episode

compromise
10-13-2013, 11:51 AM
I'm about halfway through and so far I really enjoy it. Kevin Spacey is fucking fantastic as Underwood; I imagine Eric Cantor is something like him.

Underwood is actually based on Kevin McCarthy, the House Majority Whip. Some of the lines are even directly from McCarthy (e.g. "I’m going to tell you one thing: You vote your district, you vote your conscience. Just don’t surprise me.") and McCarthy worked with Spacey on creating the character (McCarthy only took part because he was told Underwood was going to be a Democrat). Underwood's office is also based on McCarthy's.

Liberty-leaning Rep. Jeff Duncan implied it's pretty realistic:
“Honestly, the egos and the quest and thirst for power is very prevalent in Washington,” Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.), who’s seen all 13 episodes, told POLITICO.

Duncan said Underwood reminds him of “a lot of people” he’s come across in politics over the years — “just the drive, you know, the drive to the next position or the drive for the position of power.” Duncan added, “He’s a very focused individual. … I have run across characters in my political career that have that singular focus of being someone, being in a position of power. So I think in a way, that’s an accurate portrayal.”

Bastiat's The Law
10-13-2013, 02:41 PM
#GoZoey

Matt Collins
10-24-2013, 10:27 PM
I admit, I am starving for some kind of drama where a liberty-minded person is in some high office and twists all of this intrigue all back on itself and forces a win out of impossible circumstances...Wait until 2016 and it may not be fiction ;)

But if you want fiction, read Molon Labe: http://www.amazon.com/Molon-Labe-Boston-T-Party/dp/1888766077/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1382675201&sr=8-3&keywords=molon+labe

But then, that's what we are actually trying to do in real life, so I'm not going to anticipate a whole lot of support in the mainstream. However, 21st Century Americans being what we are, if we COULD manage to field a gripping drama about a lone libertarian, or a lonely cabal of libertarians facing extraordinary situations and political intrigue to save the country in spite of itself a David v Goliath type morality tale where the liberty people defeat big corrupt government...that would likely do as much to establish popular acceptance of our philosophy than a dozen candidates for Congress. :(

Yeah, not going to happen unless we produce it ourselves. High enough production values and good writers and it'd be popular enough to pay for itself I am sure... but you'd likely need a cool million up front to carry you through the first 6-8 months until you had a positive cash flow.
Kickstarter....

Matt Collins
10-24-2013, 10:28 PM
I may keep watching because the political intrigues are pretty accurate to my experience, and gaining the working knowledge of those same kinds of intrigues played out on Capitol Hill may help enhance my strategic capability somewhat when dealing in this dirty dirty game.I had the same thoughts myself. Looking for ideas, looking for ways to get blindsided, etc. It is a fascinating series, I am up to Episode 7. Learning a lot, it's kind of like a dark West Wing from the legislative perspective.

ObiRandKenobi
10-24-2013, 10:40 PM
i liked it.

ronpaulfollower999
10-25-2013, 05:03 AM
It was okay. Dragged on sometimes.

Bastiat's The Law
10-25-2013, 09:27 AM
I really enjoy this series. Spacey is excellent as expected.

***Spoiler Question Below***

Did Underwood intentionally kill Russo? To me it appeared he only wanted him to get a DUI.

CPUd
10-25-2013, 11:36 AM
I really enjoy this series. Spacey is excellent as expected.

***Spoiler Question Below***

Did Underwood intentionally kill Russo? To me it appeared he only wanted him to get a DUI.

Yeah, he did, because they couldn't trust him anymore not to go to the press. It wasn't part of the master plan though. He underestimated the reporter girl.

Varin
10-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Yeah, he did, because they couldn't trust him anymore not to go to the press. It wasn't part of the master plan though. He underestimated the reporter girl.

Yup but he still got the picks on reporter girls.

Bastiat's The Law
10-25-2013, 03:20 PM
Yup but he still got the picks on reporter girls.

That would just make her more famous.

Matt Collins
10-25-2013, 03:24 PM
My one complaint is that it doesn't move fast enough. The West Wing was VERY fast paced, as DC really is. HoC should incorporate that in future episodes.

COpatriot
10-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Excellent show. Spacey kills it and steals every scene. Can't wait for season 2.

Matt Collins
10-26-2013, 12:29 AM
Ok, on episode 10 already..... Overall it's great, but I have a couple of suggestions... 1) pick up the pace, it drags a bit. 2) a bit less drama, 3) more comedic relief..... I am looking for a cross between The Shield and West Wing

ThePenguinLibertarian
10-26-2013, 06:15 AM
This show is much better than 90% of the crap. THIS HAS TO BE funded and written by closet libertarians. I bet it is, this is ANTI GOV exposition. If not, satire, only not funny. The acting is EXCELLENT. this is AMC good, its mad men (season 1-3) and Breaking Bad Acting good. Its so compelling. Production value is high. it is a beautiful piece of work.

jclay2
10-26-2013, 08:24 AM
This show is much better than 90% of the crap. THIS HAS TO BE funded and written by closet libertarians. I bet it is, this is ANTI GOV exposition. If not, satire, only not funny. The acting is EXCELLENT. this is AMC good, its mad men (season 1-3) and Breaking Bad Acting good. Its so compelling. Production value is high. it is a beautiful piece of work.

It is the beginning of the death of cable/established media for sure. Will be interesting to see how media evolves over the next few years.