PDA

View Full Version : Now on Netflix - House of Cards (Political Netflix Original Series)

dannno
02-01-2013, 06:45 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/blog_post_349_width/2012/10/house_of_cards_netflix.jpg

House of Cards
Ruthless and cunning, Congressman Francis Underwood (Oscar® winner Kevin Spacey) and his wife Claire (Robin Wright) stop at nothing to conquer everything. This wicked political drama penetrates the shadowy world of greed, sex, and corruption in modern D.C. Kate Mara ("American Horror Story") and Corey Stoll ("Midnight in Paris") costar in the first original series from David Fincher ("The Social Network") and Beau Willimon ("The Ides of March"). See More Watch Now

This, obviously, could be a REALLY good show.. I think I'm going to queue up a few episodes and see.

http://cdn-7.nflximg.com/images/5113/2075113.jpg

muzzled dogg
02-01-2013, 07:15 PM
i got the email

any good?

Matt Collins
02-01-2013, 07:16 PM
I think what's more amazing is that NF is coming out with an original series!

itshappening
02-01-2013, 07:23 PM

It's the future... thank god the networks are getting some competition.

trey4sports
02-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Still waiting on arrested development

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
02-01-2013, 07:40 PM
It came from Hollywood so I am not expecting anything less than typical Marxist propaganda ala Newsroom and West Wing. That said, I will give it a shot.

gwax23
02-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Alrite you suck I was just about to post a topic about this.

Anywhoz Im on the second episode. Libertarian Guy is prominent.

Apparently they think we are all crazy conspiracy theorists who dont shower, sniff coke, and get ass? I guess its better than we should expect atleast they portray us as getting some.

Who knows maybe in a year the media will portray us as clean shaven and visibly employed.

muzzled dogg
02-01-2013, 08:03 PM

the Norwegian sopranos wasn't bad. that was the only other one that i've know they've done

dannno
02-01-2013, 08:10 PM
I guess its better than we should expect atleast they portray us as getting some.

Phewww...

Occam's Banana
02-01-2013, 08:18 PM

It's not their first. They've done at least one other: Lilyhammer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilyhammer).

I am not a Hulu subscriber, but I think they have some of their own, too.

shane77m
02-01-2013, 08:21 PM
http://thingsfanssay.com/Home_Page.html

Bring back Jericho.

satchelmcqueen
02-01-2013, 08:58 PM
wish we could get "for liberty" on netflix. they do have some very great docs on there about liberty and the truth about the US government.

trey4sports
02-01-2013, 09:28 PM
lilyhammer was decent. They're bringing it back for a second season.

pochy1776
02-01-2013, 10:06 PM
http://thingsfanssay.com/Home_Page.html

Bring back Jericho.

At least Jericho has comics now. Fuck it, I want Jericho season 3. Better yet, The Ron Paul Show.

QuickZ06
02-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Jericho was the business.

Occam's Banana
02-01-2013, 10:16 PM
wish we could get "for liberty" on netflix. they do have some very great docs on there about liberty and the truth about the US government.

It used to be available in streaming format. Don't know if it still is.

Slutter McGee
02-01-2013, 11:47 PM
Jericho sucked. Bad acting can't make up for a decent idea. Want to watch a real good movie...Silver Lining Playbook. was incredible.

Slutter McGee

Tpoints
02-02-2013, 12:02 AM
It's the future... thank god the networks are getting some competition.

it'll be interesting to see how successful it is. Well, that's kind of a stupid question, because very few people will get netflix just to watch the show, and therefore, Netflix isn't making any money back from people watching it. At best they retain potential cancellers and a few new subscribers. Are they more likely to make money from Hulu or youtube where people are forced to see paid advertisements every time they turn on a show? (too bad Hulu isn't mobile friendly)

jclay2
02-02-2013, 12:10 AM
I will probably look into this. Anyone excited for the second half of Walking Dead Season 3?

jcannon98188
02-02-2013, 12:19 AM
I don't like the talking to the camera bit.

Danke
02-02-2013, 12:22 AM
Can I watch this online?

Tpoints
02-02-2013, 12:24 AM
Can I watch this online?

I think it's ONLY online, so, would be interesting to see how people pirate it.

Danke
02-02-2013, 12:25 AM
I think it's ONLY online, so, would be interesting to see how people pirate it.

Link?

Tpoints
02-02-2013, 12:27 AM
Link?

netflix.com

Danke
02-02-2013, 12:30 AM
netflix.com

I didn't find it there. I'll check it again.

Tpoints
02-02-2013, 12:43 AM
I didn't find it there. I'll check it again.

movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/House_of_Cards/70178217

Danke
02-02-2013, 12:50 AM
movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/House_of_Cards/70178217

Oh wow, it is a tv show.

Thanks.

COpatriot
02-13-2014, 10:47 AM
Season 2 comes tomorrow.

ctiger2
02-13-2014, 11:36 AM
I watched the first episode last night and the thing that immediately struck me was how much better the world would be without these people. They don't produce anything of tangible value and they provide no real benefits to society. Politicians and all bureaucrat related people are simply parasites on the productive society.

Matt Collins
02-13-2014, 12:13 PM
I watched the first episode last night and the thing that immediately struck me was how much better the world would be without these people. They don't produce anything of tangible value and they provide no real benefits to society. Politicians and all bureaucrat related people are simply parasites on the productive society.

But who would build the roads? :eek:

ifthenwouldi
02-13-2014, 12:21 PM
Made it through three episodes, I think, before I deleted it from my Netflix "list." It was well acted, but I just felt so dirty and depressed watching it.

asurfaholic
02-13-2014, 12:46 PM
I enjoyed the first season and eagerly await the second. Will the entire season get released at once ? Jw cause i like to binge watch Netflix shows.

COpatriot
02-13-2014, 01:06 PM
I enjoyed the first season and eagerly await the second. Will the entire season get released at once ? Jw cause i like to binge watch Netflix shows.

Yes.

Matt Collins
02-13-2014, 01:55 PM
I just felt so dirty and depressed watching it.That's the idea :p

I implore you to continue to watch it and the West Wing. Washington Politics is somewhere between the two (although it leans more the HoC).

dntrpltt
02-13-2014, 02:11 PM
I plan on marathoning the second season after it gets released at 3:01 AM tomorrow morning. (Finished the West Wing a while back.)

Wish there were more good dramas on Washington politics.

dillo
02-13-2014, 03:01 PM
Its a good show that doesn't try to force an agenda on you, it just shows the corruptness in politics. Compared to the "Newsroom" which is marxist propaganda that also is a show and a well made on about a newsroom.

Matt Collins
02-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Its a good show that doesn't try to force an agenda on you, it just shows the corruptness in politics. Compared to the "Newsroom" which is marxist propaganda that also is a show and a well made on about a newsroom.
Yep, that was the thing about the West Wing; it had a serious progressive agenda.

compromise
02-13-2014, 03:56 PM
I'm definitely going to binge watch it tomorrow. Amazing series so far.

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
02-13-2014, 03:59 PM
I implore you to continue to watch it and the West Wing. Washington Politics is somewhere between the two (although it leans more the HoC).

"Veep" is the most accurate show about DC politics.

CaseyJones
02-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Watch actual members of Congress read lines from House of Cards

http://theweek.com/article/index/256479/watch-actual-members-of-congress-read-lines-from-house-of-cards

Matt Collins
02-14-2014, 12:15 PM
Watch actual members of Congress read lines from House of Cards

http://theweek.com/article/index/256479/watch-actual-members-of-congress-read-lines-from-house-of-cards

That's really disturbing. This show isn't something that should be celebrated given its themes. And not to mention Obama said he wished DC was as ruthlessly efficient as HoC was. Meaning Obama just advocated murder to gain power.

MRK
02-14-2014, 10:14 PM
Who knows maybe in a year the media will portray us as clean shaven and visibly employed.

Just as I was starting to take a liking to the image of being "younger and more bearded" . . . :)

gwax23
02-14-2014, 10:31 PM
4th episode in. Not nearly as good as the first season. Hopefully it picks up.

compromise
02-15-2014, 08:06 AM
4th episode in. Not nearly as good as the first season. Hopefully it picks up.

I'm 10 in and I'm liking it more than the first season, the pacing is better.

EDIT: Just finished it. I'd rate it about the same as the first season overall. Amazing show.

CPUd
02-16-2014, 07:43 PM
LOL cnn.com front page:

http://i.imgur.com/abGgzms.png

gwax23
02-16-2014, 08:14 PM
I'm 10 in and I'm liking it more than the first season, the pacing is better.

EDIT: Just finished it. I'd rate it about the same as the first season overall. Amazing show.

Finished it. Parts of it got a little weird....

Weston White
02-18-2014, 11:05 PM
Man alive, most of the cast has either been outcast or killed, and those remaining have all gone bisexual or been betrayed (slighty exaggerating of course). What will be in store for season three, I can only ponder, it will be a long, long wait, but certainly worth it.

jclay2
02-19-2014, 12:44 AM
I am on episode 11 and am quite frankly getting sick of the gay mafia running netflix. I think I have made a new rule to root for the hetero characters only going forward.

green73
02-19-2014, 01:26 AM
I am on episode 11 and am quite frankly getting sick of the gay mafia running netflix. I think I have made a new rule to root for the hetero characters only going forward.

I had a gay congressman growing up. Everybody knew it but it was not "out there". Silly me, I enlisted in the marines as a junior in high school. I changed my mind as senior. The marines played hard ball. I even got a very disparaging letter from a colonel. My gay congressman wrote him a five page letter reading him the riot act. The colonel had to apologize to me. That didn't make me vote for the congressman when I came of age; I was a raging Democrat, he was a Republican. I regret that now. Last I knew that office is being held by a raging Democrat.

V3n
02-27-2014, 07:46 AM
I finished the first season and am about 6 episodes into season 2.

The thing that bothers me is there's no "good guy" - all of these people are completely despicable characters. I don't like it when I don't have someone to root for.

Still, I like the writing and Spacey's acting, so I'll finish. Hopefully a good-guy will emerge!

mosquitobite
02-27-2014, 08:02 AM

The thing that bothers me is there's no "good guy" - all of these people are completely despicable characters. I don't like it when I don't have someone to root for.

Still, I like the writing and Spacey's acting, so I'll finish. Hopefully a good-guy will emerge!

My husband was laughing at me when I was yelling at the TV "don't do it Peter! Don't! No!" when Rachel tempted him.

I guess I was rooting for him. ;) Of course, I knew with Underwood being the main character that Russo taking him down with repentance wouldn't work well within the overall plot - but I was still secretly rooting that he would!

(reminds me of how I felt when Sanford took his fall to temptation)

SilentBull
02-27-2014, 08:18 AM
Finished the 2nd season last night. Great show.

V3n
02-27-2014, 08:23 AM
My husband was laughing at me when I was yelling at the TV "don't do it Peter! Don't! No!" when Rachel tempted him.

I guess I was rooting for him. ;) Of course, I knew with Underwood being the main character that Russo taking him down with repentance wouldn't work well within the overall plot - but I was still secretly rooting that he would!

(reminds me of how I felt when Sanford took his fall to temptation)

Ugh! I know!! I had just finished discussing my theory of "there's no one to root for" with Lady_V3n, and literally that same episode said "well, I guess Russo, you can root for him" - then BAM! as soon as the words left my mouth, that scene started!

mosquitobite
02-27-2014, 08:27 AM
Those in Washington usually succumb to temptation of some sorts: greed, power, lust, or drugs

That's how the puppet masters (like Underwood represents) work: blackmail.

As my signature says from George Washington...

Weston White
02-27-2014, 02:57 PM
What about Lucas Goodwin, he seems to be a good guy, along with Janine Skorsky. I am betting they are both going to come back next year (possibly along with Gavin Orsay, as he seems like he is finding a solid ground to revolt against the FBI' tyranny over him) and will start working together to expose the under-skin of the Underwoods... At least I hope so. (Plus that might give the show a bit of a CSI/Fringe feel to it.)

V3n
02-28-2014, 08:22 AM
What about Lucas Goodwin, he seems to be a good guy, along with Janine Skorsky. I am betting they are both going to come back next year (possibly along with Gavin Orsay, as he seems like he is finding a solid ground to revolt against the FBI' tyranny over him) and will start working together to expose the under-skin of the Underwoods... At least I hope so. (Plus that might give the show a bit of a CSI/Fringe feel to it.)

Those folks look like they're heading in a good direction. I didn't like Lucas at first, when he was drunk hitting on Zoe, and I thought he went too fast with her when she stayed at his place - I thought she was too vulnerable and he didn't behave like a gentleman - so that really turned me off to him. After Season 2 Episode 1 - he got his head on straight - made lots of mistakes, but at least was trying to do good. But I'm still not through all of S2 yet. I hope you're right - that would be cool!

Occam's Banana
02-28-2014, 06:01 PM
The Netflix production of House of Cards is not the first incarnation of this particular story.

There is a BBC series called "The House of Cards Trilogy," which in turn was based on a novel (or novels).
The trilogy is composed of three 4-episode seasons which aired on the BBC in 1990, 1993 & 1995.

The main character is Francis Urquhart, who is Chief Whip in Parliament. Urquhart ocassionally addresses the audience directly. He gets pissed off after being passed over for promotion to a cabinet position when a government with a new Prime Minister is formed after Margaret Thatcher's PMship. His wife's name is Elizabeth. He has an aide/advisor named Stamper. He uses a female journalist to leak sensitive info to the press (her name isn't Zoe, though). And so forth ...

The BBC version is currently available on Netflix streaming for those who would like to check it out. I've only watched the first episode so far and I'm interested in seeing how it follows and/or diverges from the Netflix version. Assuming the seasons follow the same pattern, the third season might give away spoilers for the Netflix version, so if you watch, you might want to be careful about that - or not. And it's just an assumption - like I say, I've only seen one episode so far ...

compromise
03-01-2014, 02:44 AM

I found myself rooting for Underwood. I think it was his Southern charm.