PDA

View Full Version : Burger King reveals its burgers contained horsemeat

sailingaway
01-31-2013, 10:00 PM
in the UK, they might have had a different supplier here

Burger King has revealed that its burgers were contaminated with horse DNA.

The fast food restaurant chain had initially denied that its burgers contained horsemeat, but backtracked after receiving test results from the plant of their supplier Silvercrest.

Burger King stated: "Four samples recently taken from the Silvercrest plant have shown the presence of very small trace levels of equine DNA.

"Within the last 36 hours, we have established that Silvercrest used a small percentage of beef imported from a non-approved supplier in Poland.

"They promised to deliver 100% British and Irish beef patties and have not done so. This is a clear violation of our specifications, and we have terminated our relationship with them."

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.com/odd/news/a455437/burger-king-reveals-its-burgers-contained-horsemeat.html#ixzz2Jbcfmq84
Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

Smart3
01-31-2013, 10:07 PM
Unfortunately this is happening all over the place in the UK & Eire. Horsemeat mixed into with burgers, and occasionally also pork.

I'm fine with eating horsemeat, but only if I ask for horsemeat - which is unlikely.

sailingaway
01-31-2013, 10:09 PM
I understand it is gamy. Beef HERE has become more gamy since 2008, and I have been assuming the markets were substituting cheaper cuts to keep down cost.

I don't like gamy beef. If I want gamy I'll eat venison.

SpreadOfLiberty
01-31-2013, 10:14 PM
I don't eat at BK much, but if I did and it has horse meat in it, I honestly wouldn't care.

mad cow
01-31-2013, 10:29 PM
The Burger King is a vengeful King.

I wonder what happened to All the King's Men?

heavenlyboy34
01-31-2013, 10:54 PM
The Burger King is a vengeful King.

I wonder what happened to All the King's Men?
Soylent Green. ;)

MikeStanart
01-31-2013, 10:57 PM
I've always wanted to try horse meat. Why is it such a taboo?

Danke
01-31-2013, 11:01 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltn6go7kF71qa68j2o1_r1_500.gif

sailingaway
01-31-2013, 11:02 PM

I think it is cheaper, gamy, nontraditional, etc.

If I'm being told I'm getting beef, I want beef. Obviously, I'd rather have horse meat than starve.

Danke
01-31-2013, 11:03 PM

Had it. Nothing special, just like dog meat.

fr33
01-31-2013, 11:29 PM
I wouldn't think it tastes good. I'd eat it in a survivalist situation but I'd rather not.

TheGrinch
01-31-2013, 11:34 PM
I understand it is gamy. Beef HERE has become more gamy since 2008, and I have been assuming the markets were substituting cheaper cuts to keep down cost.

I don't like gamy beef. If I want gamy I'll eat venison.

Gamy is probably an upgrade on the flavorless meat-based substance they normally use.

Danke
01-31-2013, 11:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjREqhqr5Yg

oyarde
01-31-2013, 11:51 PM

My first time was over an open fire on the Res, I thought it was good, but had not eaten all day and was, maybe 16 yrs old.Same summer (probably)for my first puppy stew ,on a different Res, which I was not aware of until I had eaten a bunch of, it was good too.I would not have tried it , probably , had I known , I had eaten twice that day... then again, I probably would have had to try it anyway, I was at my Girlfriends Grandfather's .... I rember seeing things in the market in Korea...I did not eat much the three times I was there, got pretty thin the one time , I think it was around 11 months, drank too much, possibly, but never lost my bearing too badly, overall ( that time, anyway ) :)

oyarde
01-31-2013, 11:59 PM
I rarely eat out and do not like fast food,but BK & KFC taste better than much of it.

Danke
02-01-2013, 12:01 AM
My first time was over an open fire on the Res, I thought it was good, but had not eaten all day and was, maybe 16 yrs old.Same summer (probably)for my first puppy stew ,on a different Res, which I was not aware of until I had eaten a bunch of, it was good too.I would not have tried it , probably , had I known , I had eaten twice that day... then again, I probably would have had to try it anyway, I was at my Girlfriends Grandfather's .... I rember seeing things in the market in Korea...I did not eat much the three times I was there, got pretty thin the one time , I think it was around 11 months, drank too much, possibly, but never lost my bearing too badly, overall ( that time, anyway ) :)

I lived in Asia, but have still not had monkey brains.

oyarde
02-01-2013, 12:02 AM

I don't like gamy beef. If I want gamy I'll eat venison. I often marinate venison, throw it in the oven , cook it in creme of mushroom , does not taste gamey .Serve it up with some green beans cooked with bacon & onion, some mashed potatoes . Tasty.

oyarde
02-01-2013, 12:04 AM

Well , overrated, you are not missing anything, brain meat of all kinds, sucks....

sailingaway
02-01-2013, 12:06 AM
Well , overrated, you are not missing anything, brain meat of all kinds, sucks....

I agree. I haven't had monkey, but I've had sweetbreads. (blech) the texture is revolting.

oyarde
02-01-2013, 12:06 AM

Cannot say I really considered it living there , I had to sleep there for employment reasons, after drinking.

FindLiberty
02-01-2013, 12:09 AM
"Have It Your Way" - Take Out Order
http://1.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/97/85/4933d51aff1c34fa49551a73a894fe82-guy-has-mini-horse-in-back-seat-of-car.gif

oyarde
02-01-2013, 12:10 AM
I agree. I haven't had monkey, but I've had sweetbreads. (blech) the texture is revolting.

I am not a big bread guy, liked it as a kid, my Mother made ours, I ate the crap out of the raisin bread, but pretty well gave it up in my later teens.By then, I had discovered , excess grain should be made into beverages.

sailingaway
02-01-2013, 12:12 AM
I am not a big bread guy, liked it as a kid, my Mother made ours, I ate the crap out of the raisin bread, but pretty well gave it up in my later teens.By then, I had discovered , excess grain should be made into beverages.

it's a euphamism for brains. Sheep, I think.

bread, real bread, can be great.

bourbon too, of course!

Danke
02-01-2013, 12:12 AM

Have you ever had democrats zombie brains?

FindLiberty
02-01-2013, 12:13 AM

I think I see "sweetbread" skid marks... on your forehead!

;-)

sailingaway
02-01-2013, 12:14 AM
Have you ever had democrats zombie brains?

no, the one experience was enough for me.

donnay
02-01-2013, 08:30 AM
Disturbing: Burger King Admits Burgers Contain Horsemeat

Anthony Gucciardi
Prison Planet.com
Feb 1, 2013

In a piece of highly disturbing news, Burger King has now admitted after continuous denial that it has actually been selling UK customers both burgers and Whoppers that contain horsemeat. This admission comes just after The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/jan/31/burger-king-horsemeat) reports that Burger King reps offered a round of ‘absolute assurances’ to customers that it did not ever use horsemeat in its products.

A series of tests done on the burger products now reveal that Burger King has been issuing completely phony statements, with burgers made for the fast food chain from the Irish company Silvercrest containing measurable levels of horsemeat. It’s important to note this is the same company that processes meat for Tesco, Asda, and the Co-op. The managers at Silvercrest have been revealed to be utilizing non-approved ingredients within their burger assortment – even for ‘household brands’.

Burger King Admits to Horsemeat in Whoppers, Burgers

Burger King admitted just (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2271440/Burger-King-admits-selling-beef-burgers-Whoppers-containing-horse-meat.html#ixzz2JbGCeq6F) a few hours ago that the samples did in fact contain horsemeat:

“Four samples recently taken from the Silvercrest plant have shown the presence of very small trace levels of equine DNA… we have established that Silvercrest used a small percentage of beef imported from a non-approved supplier in Poland. This is a clear violation of our specifications, and we have terminated our relationship with them.”

It is not yet clear which of these top brands could be containing such concerning ingredients as horse meat and other ‘meat cut offs’. What is known is that tens of thousands of burgers from suppliers like Silvercrest and others in Germany have been shipped into Burger King alone to meet demand just in the UK. According to the Daily Mail report on the study results, the horsemeat contamination can be traced back to a full year, or at least since last May.

The investigation into this issue started after the Food Safety Authority of Ireland found that burgers out of Ireland contained horsemeat. The disturbing findings highlight yet another reason not to consumer fast food, which contains a host of problematic substances such as ingredients banned (http://naturalsociety.com/mcdonalds-mcrib-sandwich-a-franken-creation-of-gmos-toxic-ingredients-banned-ingredients/) in other nations.

This post originally appeared at Natural Society (http://naturalsociety.com/burger-king-admits-burgers-contain-horsemeat/)

Acala
02-01-2013, 08:44 AM
Lying about the ingredients in food is a problem. Not knowing what ingredients are going into the food you are selling is a problem. But why is horsemeat, in itself, a problem?

luctor-et-emergo
02-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Lying about the ingredients in food is a problem. Not knowing what ingredients are going into the food you are selling is a problem. But why is horsemeat, in itself, a problem?

Well said. Nothing wrong with horse-meat. Could have been worse.

“Four samples recently taken from the Silvercrest plant have shown the presence of very small trace levels of equine DNA… we have established that Silvercrest used a small percentage of beef imported from a non-approved supplier in Poland. This is a clear violation of our specifications, and we have terminated our relationship with them.”

Sounds like they did the appropriate thing... I hold no grudge.

Tpoints
02-01-2013, 09:00 AM

exactly!

Somehow people believe in privacy until merchants want to keep their products secret.

Danke
02-01-2013, 09:09 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?403101-Burger-King-reveals-its-burgers-contained-horsemeat&highlight=

Origanalist
02-01-2013, 09:17 AM
http://grub.gunaxin.com/whats-really-going-on-in-your-fast-food/79120

Czolgosz
02-01-2013, 09:18 AM

werd

Icymudpuppy
02-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Nothing wrong with Horse meat. All the poor malnourished geriatric and in pain horses in this country and instead of ushering them into a quick painless death, we either let them suffer in their old age, finally to die and their carcass rot into waste, or have to ship them to Mexico to be slaughtered in less humane fashion. The Ban on Horse Slaughter in the US was one of the stupidest pieces of legislation ever to pass.

Tpoints
02-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Nothing wrong with Horse meat. All the poor malnourished geriatric and in pain horses in this country and instead of ushering them into a quick painless death, we either let them suffer in their old age, finally to die and their carcass rot into waste, or have to ship them to Mexico to be slaughtered in less humane fashion. The Ban on Horse Slaughter in the US was one of the stupidest pieces of legislation ever to pass.

who backed it? cowboys? other meat producers? or animal rights bigots?

Icymudpuppy
02-01-2013, 09:42 AM
who backed it? cowboys? other meat producers? or animal rights bigots?

Animal rights. Horse Hobbyists (y'know, the people who confine 5 horses on 1/4 acre of ground and never ride them.)

jbauer
02-01-2013, 09:49 AM
Horse slaughter has been illegal here for the better part of a decade (except 1 or 2 states from my recollection). There's not going to be horse meat in your hamburger.....although horse meat probably doesn't taste much different since its a grease nasty burger anyway.

The animal rights folks shut it down so it blew up the horse market, unwanted animals didn't get fed and they starved instead of becoming an export meat for us.

jbauer
02-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Animal rights. Horse Hobbyists (y'know, the people who confine 5 horses on 1/4 acre of ground and never ride them.)

That happens but is more the exception rather then the rule atleast from what I've seen.

FYI: there are going to be horses that need to be confined during the spring/early summer when the grass is "to green" for fear of colic which would kill the horse.

loveableteddybear
02-01-2013, 09:54 AM
If it taste good, who cares?

jbauer
02-01-2013, 09:56 AM

I'd also point out that we knew a PITA gal in college who was pissed that my wife's horse was on a pasture in the summer and a stall in the winter (she actually rode him a couple times a week pretty religiously although that is not the norm) but the PITA gal had NO problem with her golden retriever that was lock insider her small apartment 24/7/365 that NEVER got walked.

S.Shorland
02-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Buy a burger in Africa and worry.

donnay
02-01-2013, 10:15 AM

Horsemeat is not a problem. The problem is the deceptive practices. It may be horsemeat today and humans tomorrow.

Acala
02-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Horsemeat is not a problem. The problem is the deceptive practices. It may be horsemeat today and humans tomorrow.

Grass-fed humans?

Icymudpuppy
02-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Grass-fed humans?

Soylent Green.

Actually, I prefer a Soylent green scenario over a ban on Death with Dignity Euthanasia. Seriously, why do we force our elderly to suffer their last few years? I don't recommend Soylent Green be fed to people as a cannibalistic diet has a tendency to lead to prion disease such as Mad Cow. Better to feed Soylent Green to Carnivorous and Omnivorous livestock such as Mink, Chickens, and Swine.

jmdrake
02-01-2013, 10:52 AM

Are you having Obama over for dinner?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ6pQWwYeu8

Tpoints
02-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Soylent Green.

Actually, I prefer a Soylent green scenario over a ban on Death with Dignity Euthanasia. Seriously, why do we force our elderly to suffer their last few years?

Because it's the Christian thing to do and if you want to legalize killing of any kind, you're working for the NWO to depopulate the beautiful world.

donnay
02-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Soylent Green.

Actually, I prefer a Soylent green scenario over a ban on Death with Dignity Euthanasia. Seriously, why do we force our elderly to suffer their last few years? I don't recommend Soylent Green be fed to people as a cannibalistic diet has a tendency to lead to prion disease such as Mad Cow. Better to feed Soylent Green to Carnivorous and Omnivorous livestock such as Mink, Chickens, and Swine.

There is no dignity in death when they make you ill in the first place.

donnay
02-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Grass-fed humans?

Nah humans cannot digest grass--and most eat too many grains. Makes their meat tough. <s>

Tpoints
02-01-2013, 11:09 AM
There is no dignity in death when they make you ill in the first place.

yeah, so because somebody is to blame for your being sick, you're never responsible for anything thereafter.

donnay
02-01-2013, 11:41 AM
yeah, so because somebody is to blame for your being sick, you're never responsible for anything thereafter.

Huh? Where did you get that from what I said? Most chronic and debilitating illnesses can be reversed--education about nutrition is key. Dignity and self-worth can and will be restored just by educating yourself and making yourself well. People who rely on other people to make them healthy is a fools errand and is irresponsible, IMHO.

Anti Federalist
02-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Ya'll are awful...just awful.

http://th06.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/161/6/5/sad_fluttershy_by_afkrobot-d5003ne.png

:D

anaconda
02-01-2013, 12:21 PM
I don't eat at BK much, but if I did and it has horse meat in it, I honestly wouldn't care.

Didn't Jack In The Box get hit with the horse meat scandal several decades ago?

anaconda
02-01-2013, 12:22 PM

Soylent Green is people!

anaconda
02-01-2013, 12:25 PM

Congratulations on a mature, insightful, and caring post.

bunklocoempire
02-01-2013, 12:41 PM
http://s6.postimage.org/wxc2k87zl/eat_a_horse.jpg

oyarde
02-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Ya'll are awful...just awful.

http://th06.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/161/6/5/sad_fluttershy_by_afkrobot-d5003ne.png

:D
LOL
Slap a little BBQ suace on that when it is near done.

man is truth
02-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Horse isn't Kosher, right? Only reason I can think to give a shit ever, and even then, I would argue that people who eat Kosher = dumb, like anyone who follows any restrictions on their diet based on anything except nutritional science and taste.

TheGrinch
02-01-2013, 12:52 PM
Nah humans cannot digest grass--and most eat too many grains. Makes their meat tough. <s>

Not if you go for the youngins who sit around playing video games all day... Fatty yes, but man is it tender like veal!

AGRP
02-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Theoretically, if they had no idea they were serving horse meant then they could be serving soylent green.

Zippyjuan
02-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Bear in mind this was found from one supplier in Ireland. http://www.businessinsider.com/burger-king-admits-whoppers-contaminated-with-horse-meat-2013-1
and that the meat in question allegedly came crom Poland.

Burger King has admitted that some burgers made in the plant of one of its processors in Ireland were tainted with horse meat, The Guardian reported.

The company also said that burgers tested from its restaurants showed no trace of horse meat.

Here's the statement from Burger King — from The Guardian:

"Our independent DNA test results on product taken from restaurants were negative for any equine DNA. However, four samples recently taken from the Silvercrest plant have shown the presence of very small trace levels of equine DNA. Within the last 36 hours, we have established that Silvercrest used a small percentage of beef imported from a non-approved supplier in Poland. They promised to deliver 100% British and Irish beef patties and have not done so. This is a clear violation of our specifications, and we have terminated our relationship with them."

The fast food chain had previously given "absolute assurances" that its burgers weren't involved, The Daily Mail reported.

The culprit is suspected to be a meat distributor in Poland, which may have used other meats as filler.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/burger-king-admits-whoppers-contaminated-with-horse-meat-2013-1#ixzz2Jg2jmIoB

KrokHead
02-02-2013, 05:07 AM
The last time I wet to burger king the burgers sucked so bad, some horsemeat would probably improve the taste.