PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Reporter's question

manystrom
06-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Dear Friends,

I just got off the phone with a reporter who is doing a story on Ron Paul's amazing popularity on the internet. "How is it," he asked me, "that Ron Paul has become THE internet candidate?"

It is an excellent question, one that he is trying to answer for an article he's writing on the subject. I could only speak from my own experience, which in short is:

I had never heard of Ron Paul until February 2002, when I saw him one morning on CNBC as I was getting ready to go to work. He was on live TV, challenging Alan Greenspan and the role of the Federal Reserve - how it simply prints money, and the government uses Enron-style accounting. He was saying things I knew to be true, but things I never expected to hear on TV. (As I said in my blog post about it at the time, I was so happy I cried.) Indeed CNBC hastily cut away for a 'commercial break' - but I had heard everything I needed to know. I made a note of his name and later began researching this Ron Paul character on the internet. The more I read, the more I liked, and the rest is history.

When I heard he was running for president, I set up the www.dailypaul.com. It was not something I really felt I had a choice about - I had the skills, the passion and the ability, so ... I guess there was no reason not to. I had heard that weekend Dr. Paul in an interview talking about how this election would really test the new powers of the internet. I knew that was true, and I wanted to be a part of it.

I'm asking for other's input on the matter as well in an open thread on my site.

http://dailypaul.com/node/422

You can either post your responses to my site, or here in this thread. I'm going to try to get the information to the reporter - he says the story is due out next week. I don't know if he'll use any of it, but it is an interesting topic nonetheless.

Best regards,
Michael

yongrel
06-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Ron Paul is THE candidate on the internet because his message is perfectly suited for the internet. Who better than the man who advocates freedom, liberty and personal responsibility to be put on the shoulders of a community that values the same things?

Spirit of '76
06-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Michael, I think it's simply a matter of the fact that Dr. Paul's message of Liberty and Constitutional government resonate deeply with Americans. Sadly, the internet has become the only place where such a message can still be heard.

The Old Media is too beholden to corporate money and special interest groups, so they are afraid of the message Dr. Paul brings. The internet, on the other hand, remains a bastion of Free Speech, where ideas can still be presented, discussed, and debated in an uncontrolled setting.

In a situation like that, Dr. Paul's message of Liberty will come out on top every time.

ARealConservative
06-22-2007, 12:42 PM
This is simple. The internet allows for fact checking. When a candidate goes on TV and promised to make a person famous for offering pork, it's just empty rhetoric. What is pork, how will he do it?

The internet allows a candidate to truly explain his ideas in detail. It allows us, as voters to independently verify what they say. This is why Dr. Paul is so popular, we can verify that what he says is accurate, and he has been consistent in his message for well over 10+ years.

JoshLowry
06-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Howdy Michael! I did not know that you were registered here. Glad to see you posting. I enjoy reading some of the exclusive info you post on your website.

I think the internet is the most unbiased news source ever created in its current state. That may change if restrictions are put on it in the future.

People research the candidates and get all the facts from the net and make their conclusions. Main stream media cherry picks information. People are smarter than that and are fed up with it.

He has become the "Internet" candidate because he truely is the "Best" candidate. I think that a large percentage have discovered this via the unbiased information that the net provides us.

CJLauderdale4
06-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Michael, first of all, thanks for setting up the dailypaul site. More Paul, all the time!!
Second, as yongrel said, the Internet today is free and available to all to use and express thoughts. Today's mainstream media, even mainstream websites, attempts to silence and control speech and thought through various methods (choosing which candidates to report on, not mention Ron Paul's name EVER, take down blogs and threads, rearrange grouping of material as YouTube recently did, etc.). The Internet allows for a freedom that many of us desire in the real world, and the established machine prevents us from obtaining.

My $.02 ...

beermotor
06-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Spirit of '76 and ARealConservative both articulate it perfectly. The perfect answer is simply putting those two together.

RJB
06-22-2007, 12:45 PM
An internet following springs forth from the desire of the people to find a leader with a foundation of integrity. It is not made by politicians organizing it. You could say on one hand it's us the people who are seeking or you could say that it's strictly Ron Paul's integrity (rather than strategy) that attracts us

PatriotOne
06-22-2007, 12:48 PM
IMHO, I think the article should turn that question around and I would question the validity of the so-called scientific polls that are being used by MSM and their lack of not reflecting his obvious support by the American public.

I would cite many different internet statistics comparing Ron Paul with the other GOP candidates and let them know this was not a planned tactic by Ron Paul's campaign and that it just happened organically.

I got lots to say on this subject because I have been thinking about it a lot. I'll post my more later.

Great job in securing the article! I think this should be well thought out before submitting to them.

brent022
06-22-2007, 12:52 PM
For me it was during the 2nd presidential debate. I was watching when Paul and Giuliani got into the 9/11 blowback stuff and I kept waiting for someone to point out either during or after the debate that what Paul said vs. what it was being protrayed as was incorrect. When it was all over I went to the internet to see if others had noticed the same thing or if I had somehow misunderstood. I normally do not participate in online forums, meetups, or other types of "internet activisim" but in the following days two things happened. One was that I came to learn more about Paul's other positions besides foriegn policy that I agree with and secondly I would need to get involved through the internet in order to learn more and help voice his message. This is due to both the traditional media either ignoring or misrepresenting Pauls views (for the most part) and because of the lack of a large official orginization for the Paul campaign.

MsDoodahs
06-22-2007, 12:59 PM
When you think internet, think Gutenberg press.

Same effect only this is a lightening fast change by comparison.

The internet revolution of information availability to the masses is impacting the ability of the government to use the mainstream media as a tool of their propoganda.

The gov't and MSM don't yet "get it" - this is why they continually shoot themselves in both feet when it comes to Dr. Paul.

Fascinating to witness.

:)

RJB
06-22-2007, 01:01 PM
When you think internet, think Gutenberg press.

Wow. I never thought of it like that!

austinphish
06-22-2007, 01:06 PM
http://www.digg.com/political_opinion/7_Reasons_Why_the_Internet_Loves_Ron_Paul_2

Action Patriot
06-22-2007, 01:11 PM
This is why Dr. Paul is so popular, we can verify that what he says is accurate, and he has been consistent in his message for well over 10+ years.

it's 10 terms, 30+ years

And like others have said, everything else is controlled and bought-off. The internet is the only place free speech is still allowed - when people hear Ron Paul's message it resonates. And that's why the establishment is working like crazy to end the internet as we know it.

MsDoodahs
06-22-2007, 01:13 PM
I should add that my H and I became acquainted with Dr. Paul through LewRockwell.com, which we found through Mises.org, which we found through FEE.org...years ago.

There is an EXPLOSION of websites dedicated to the preservation of liberty - these sites know no borders.

The message is truth, and when a man hears truth, he KNOWS IT IN HIS GUT.

This is why the message has moved *beyond* the US, and why you will see Ron has support *worldwide.*

A Ron Paul presidency will restore respect for the US around the world.

randolphus maximus
06-22-2007, 01:18 PM
I agree with what everyone has said in this thread. Take a look at what the internet really is (at the moment) it is as close to a "free market" as there is. Whether it is in commerce, or in the marketplace of ideas. The internet allows the free flow of information with anyone who has access to it.

drinkbleach
06-22-2007, 01:33 PM
I became excited about Ron Paul after watching his smackdown of Guliani during the debate. I thought, OMG a politician who understands history, geography, and politics! Plus the lobbyist avoid him like a plague because they already know he's uncorruptable.

bulloncoins
06-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Its just a growing thing. The more people hear his message, the more they want to know about him. As long as the main stream media continues to ignore him, they are forced to turn to the internet to find out answers, and once there, they find like minded people to organize with. Growing, Growing, Grown.

Thinkers use the internet....not the lazy mases sitting in front of their tv sets waiting for someone to tell them what to think.

Thinkers organize. And they use the tools they are most familuar with. The internet.....videos.....songs......

Its pop-culture "grass roots" on steroids.......

DjLoTi
06-22-2007, 01:52 PM
My answer on why Ron Paul is so popular on the internet:

The internet is a new media tool that allows its user to choose what to listen to and what not to listen to. The TV chooses for you what you will listen to. The internet, however, can be used in whatever way the user wants to use it.

That being said, many people who see Ron Paul's message on the internet *choose* to listen, whereas the 'Rudy McRomney' candidates are what the 'TV' chooses for us. The great message delivered by Ron Paul, plus the need for an alternative from what TV is giving us fuels our interest and passion in a way that could only survive on the internet.

I think that's a pretty good answer... :)

tsoldrin
06-22-2007, 02:00 PM
I think the simple answer is... Ron Paul inspires, excites and his message resonates.

Erazmus
06-22-2007, 02:05 PM
I agree with what everyone else is saying. It seems that the one place people are truly free to get the information they want and need is on the internet.

Let me digress by saying how I found Ron Paul and what his message means to me. I discovered Ron Paul when I watched freedom to fascism a while ago. When I heard him talk and what he had to say about the Federal Reserve System, I looked down at the banner where it had his name on the screen, and noticed he was a congressman. I swear, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Why aren’t there more congressmen like this guy?" Ever since then, I've looked him up and been following his efforts.

As it turns out, Ron Paul is honest, and consistent. This is proven in his voting record in congress. One can easily see that Ron Paul is not deterred by bullies or the mainstream propaganda machine and will never shy away from his moral responsibilities or his constitutional obligation. I think people have a hard time understanding this, mostly I think, because people have grown dependant on government and the mainstream media. It’s almost like when you’ve been walking around in darkness for a bit, and then the light comes on. You’re eyes close, you can’t see anything (at first), and you want to go back into the darkness. This is what Ron’s message is. It’s a shock and people are resistant. They actually want to go back to the confines and the comfort of the darkness. The light is too strong and too much. It takes some people longer to adjust to the light, when they do, they can now see where all the problems are. We can now actually see where the breaks, cracks, and bends are. People like that, I think, seeing for themselves. They no longer need the empty promise that someone will lead for them. They no longer need the government or the media telling them what to think or how to feel, which brings me to the original question.

Once people come to the realization that they cannot find the information they need, or that they feel is truly important, they go to the only medium that has said information. This place is the internet. Once you realize that the news channels filter what is distributed as news, and they all regurgitate the same rhetoric, you keep going back to the internet to get the real story. Ron is on the internet, and Ron is telling the truth. Anyone searching for the truth ultimately ends up on the internet, thus this is why his supporters are there.

Honestly, if the media wasn’t so biased and ethically inept, they would cover all the candidates equally without trying to force feed public opinion. If they did that, I think you’d begin seeing the Ron Paul supporters go to those outlets as well. Bottom line, people go where the truth is. And the truth is with Ron Paul, and Ron Paul can only be found on the internet.

wwycher
06-22-2007, 02:11 PM
I think Dr. Paul said it best, " I think the reason the internet has done so well, is because the government has left it alone."
I think that's why his message resonates with regular internet users. The fact that the internet has exploded like it has, w/o government interferance, also backs up his views on free market economics. If people really think about why they like the internet, they would probably agree that it comes from the freedom of imformation and freedom of speech that is available there, that is not there when they walk out their door.
Thanks for asking.

AgentSmith
06-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Its because the smart people are on the internet and obtaining unfiltered information. To these people Ron Paul is the only choice. Duh. :)

jcbraithwaite7
06-22-2007, 02:54 PM
I watched the first two debates and kind of had an idea that I liked some of the stuff Ron Paul said. I looked up some more stuff on Dr. Paul and was hooked. It was an eye opener when the smack down with Guiliani happened it and the spin machine was so obvious. Fox buried the text poll results and Hannity basically acted like a schoolgirl with a crush when interviewing Guiliani and didn't let Dr. Paul finish sentences. The media is so corrupt. I watched Freedom to Facism and holy crap did I feel like I was in a bad sci-fi movie.... too bad it is happening right now. I kind of felt like the character in The Matrix when he realizes that everything he thought was real really wasn't. I was hardcore Republican, support the troops, keep us safe, remember 9/11, Sadaam is bad, what's so bad about a national id card, America is so great- brainwashed Republican.

My younger brother was always an Alex Jones fan and we debated how evil Bush was. I rolled my eyes when he mentioned how biased the media is, how there is a move for one world government and that they have secret meetings to plan the fate of the world (Bilderburg Conference and CFR), that 9/11 might be an inside job or that someday we would be microchipped. I really was concerned he had paranoid delusions. Seriously, I mentioned to my mom how worried I was about him being "crazy" and how he was really worried about such random things. I thought my college degree and critical thinking skills were better than his. Like many families we just got to the point we didn't discuss politics in order to have nice Thanksgivings. A few weeks ago I called him and sincerely apologized, from the bottom of my heart. I said, "I am so sorry for my ignorance and arrogance." I gobbled up all the crap mainstream media fed me and gloated like a winner at a pie eating contest.

When you get on the internet it is like Alice falling into the rabbit hole. You find out about Executive Directives making the president a dictator if he feels the need to "protect us". You see amazing youtube videos quoting founding fathers warning of exactly what we are facing. You realize that any day we could be thrown into financial chaos. You hear about all the candidates Republican and Democrat who are part of CFR and one world government. It can be overwhelming. Before you sell you house, head for the mountains and build a commune to hunker down in for the coming apocalypse you get to see the message of hope that the most delightful man offers. Ron Paul- the lone voice in the wilderness. Maybe all isn't lost. Maybe we can get our country back.... but it is going to take people like us. Modern day Patrick Henry's, or Paul Revere's to spread the message... but instead of a simple lantern in the window there are thousands of blogs, chat rooms, meetup groups. Now the parts of patriots and revolutionaries can be played by thousands rather than just a few. The globalists are coming. Let's have a few tea parties of our own, save our country, our freedom and our future. Dr. Paul rules the internet but with the work of those of us who are now wide awake- Dr. Paul will rule the polls and not just the internet.

Original_Intent
06-22-2007, 03:26 PM
I watched the first two debates and kind of had an idea that I liked some of the stuff Ron Paul said. I looked up some more stuff on Dr. Paul and was hooked. It was an eye opener when the smack down with Guiliani happened it and the spin machine was so obvious. Fox buried the text poll results and Hannity basically acted like a schoolgirl with a crush when interviewing Guiliani and didn't let Dr. Paul finish sentences. The media is so corrupt. I watched Freedom to Facism and holy crap did I feel like I was in a bad sci-fi movie.... too bad it is happening right now. I kind of felt like the character in The Matrix when he realizes that everything he thought was real really wasn't. I was hardcore Republican, support the troops, keep us safe, remember 9/11, Sadaam is bad, what's so bad about a national id card, America is so great- brainwashed Republican.

My younger brother was always an Alex Jones fan and we debated how evil Bush was. I rolled my eyes when he mentioned how biased the media is, how there is a move for one world government and that they have secret meetings to plan the fate of the world (Bilderburg Conference and CFR), that 9/11 might be an inside job or that someday we would be microchipped. I really was concerned he had paranoid delusions. Seriously, I mentioned to my mom how worried I was about him being "crazy" and how he was really worried about such random things. I thought my college degree and critical thinking skills were better than his. Like many families we just got to the point we didn't discuss politics in order to have nice Thanksgivings. A few weeks ago I called him and sincerely apologized, from the bottom of my heart. I said, "I am so sorry for my ignorance and arrogance." I gobbled up all the crap mainstream media fed me and gloated like a winner at a pie eating contest.

When you get on the internet it is like Alice falling into the rabbit hole. You find out about Executive Directives making the president a dictator if he feels the need to "protect us". You see amazing youtube videos quoting founding fathers warning of exactly what we are facing. You realize that any day we could be thrown into financial chaos. You hear about all the candidates Republican and Democrat who are part of CFR and one world government. It can be overwhelming. Before you sell you house, head for the mountains and build a commune to hunker down in for the coming apocalypse you get to see the message of hope that the most delightful man offers. Ron Paul- the lone voice in the wilderness. Maybe all isn't lost. Maybe we can get our country back.... but it is going to take people like us. Modern day Patrick Henry's, or Paul Revere's to spread the message... but instead of a simple lantern in the window there are thousands of blogs, chat rooms, meetup groups. Now the parts of patriots and revolutionaries can be played by thousands rather than just a few. The globalists are coming. Let's have a few tea parties of our own, save our country, our freedom and our future. Dr. Paul rules the internet but with the work of those of us who are now wide awake- Dr. Paul will rule the polls and not just the internet.

All I can say to this is ME TOO!

I got "WOKE UP" about ten years ago and have been subscribed to Ron Paul's Freedom report for quite a few years.

When you first wake up you feel just like NEO in the Matrix where he blows chunks because he can't accept reality. When I first saw the Matrix and Neo got sick I TOTALLY related to the experience)

And like you, prior to waking up I was hard core GOP. This is not a matter of party, party politics is a bunch of BS to divide us against each other.

Like RP says "Freedom is a message that UNITES!" I have so much hope for this country due to this man and also I am amazed at the level of support he has gotten. Right now the only challenge is getting his message out. If we do that, we win.

ARealConservative
06-22-2007, 03:29 PM
it's 10 terms, 30+ years

And like others have said, everything else is controlled and bought-off. The internet is the only place free speech is still allowed - when people hear Ron Paul's message it resonates. And that's why the establishment is working like crazy to end the internet as we know it.

Dr Paul's internet writings go back about 10 years.

context people. :p

Dary
06-22-2007, 03:41 PM
I agree with everyone else too. Especially the comments regarding the MSM and its refusal to cover our candidate.

Shiner
06-22-2007, 04:51 PM
I think the simple answer is... Ron Paul inspires, excites and his message resonates.

You've got that right! Now it's up to us to spread that message, via the internet, word-of-mouth, letters to editors, signs, banners, bumper stickers, etc.

Onward and upward, Troops! We're fighting to restore this country to what our forefathers intended it to be - as noble and as important a mission as any facing our country today.