PDA

View Full Version : Best quote I've ever seen

Sematary
11-22-2007, 09:07 AM
"He's definitely an enigma," said Allen Cumbie, the head of the Democratic Party in Matagorda County, Texas. "I don't even think he tries to get legislation passed that benefits this district . . . and yet he continues to be elected year after year. I don't really know how to explain it."

http://www.bnd.com/news/politics/story/184734.html

allyinoh
11-22-2007, 09:07 AM
I can... he's just THAT good! :D

MozoVote
11-22-2007, 09:09 AM
There you go. The "normal" way of doing business is to deliver pork to your district. Voting on principle does not compute to these people.

PRIEST
11-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Once you go Paul
You're so enthralled
And cannot recall
The days of being small

jake
11-22-2007, 10:10 AM
There you go. The "normal" way of doing business is to deliver pork to your district. Voting on principle does not compute to these people.

Yet, the district votes him in on principle - guess what, now it's America's turn :D

michaelwise
11-22-2007, 10:17 AM
Once you go Paul
You're so enthralled
And cannot recall
The days of being smallThat is so poetic.

Marceline88
11-22-2007, 10:42 AM
That's right he tires to get legislation passed that benefits America. IMAGINE THAT!

seapilot
11-22-2007, 11:12 AM
The people in his district must all be somehow be related to Davy Crockett as they are not easily fooled by hoopla. I liked this ending of the article best:

President Ron Paul? Sklar won't rule it out.

"I think people underestimate his political skills all the time," Sklar said. "You can't ever take Ron Paul for granted."

Politeia
11-22-2007, 11:13 AM
"He's definitely an enigma," said Allen Cumbie, the head of the Democratic Party in Matagorda County, Texas. "I don't even think he tries to get legislation passed that benefits this district . . . and yet he continues to be elected year after year. I don't really know how to explain it."

You know, I've wondered about this myself. The only person I've ever met from Ron Paul's district (that I know about) was a woman who showed up at our local Farmers Market (in Santa Fe, N.M., which has a long and, er, complex relationship with Texas -- which still, I believe, maintains a claim to annex the eastern half of the state); when I happened to mention Ron Paul (this was a couple of years ago, I don't remember how he came up -- maybe she mentioned where she was from) she became absolutely livid about what a lousy representative he is -- because, of course, he refused to deliver some local pork.

Must just be his character is so overwhelming that the people in his district are simply elevated beyond the herd mentality by knowing him.

TechnoGuyRob
11-22-2007, 11:15 AM
"dope-smoking libertarians"?

...what the heck?

EDIT: This is a hit piece in disguise. Anyone who isn't familiar with Dr. Paul will think he's a lunatic after reading this article.

kylejack
11-22-2007, 11:20 AM
It helps that he delivered the daughter or brother or cousin or mother of a lot of his constituents. How can you vote against the guy that pulled you from the womb? He was the only obstetrician in the county for a long while. Rumor has it he delivered Selena.

seapilot
11-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Confirm that rumor is true and you can hand deliver the entire SW latino vote.

kylejack
11-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Confirm that rumor is true and you can hand deliver the entire SW latino vote.
Can't, that's a private relationship. Supposedly Selena's parents confirmed it to someone who worked for Ron Paul, but no way to get in touch with them. She was born in Lake Jackson, TX, though.

constituent
11-22-2007, 12:11 PM

FreedomLover
11-22-2007, 12:23 PM
This is from the wikipedia article:

While Paul votes against most spending bills, he has diverted funds that have already been authorized by other bills into his own district.[69] Paul spends extra time in the district addressing constituents' concerns, to compensate for "violat[ing] almost every rule of political survival you can think of",[34] sometimes three to four days a week, often accompanied by grandchildren. He attends graduations, civic ceremonies, and Boy Scouts of America honor ceremonies. In an expansive district, he often logs over 300 miles (500 kilometers) daily, visiting constituents or handling their concerns. He reaches out to 14th district voters on veterans' issues, such as procuring medals for war veterans who lost or never received their medals, and holding medal ceremonies for those whose medals are being presented. His staff has helped senior citizens of the district get free or low-cost prescription drugs through a little-known drug company program; is known for its effectiveness in tracking down Social Security checks; and sends out birthday cards to constituents, as well as condolence cards on the deaths of family members

seapilot
11-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Latinos have great respect for doctors, and I think Dr. Paul is going on a debate on Univision which is a latin cable network. This would score big points for him to mention that he delievered over 4000 babies and one of them may have been Selena ( I know this could be taken wrong and should only be allowed with permission of her family).

It would make him seem very genuine and many latinos would want to learn more about him and help introduce many to liberty.

apc3161
11-22-2007, 12:26 PM

Maybe thats because FEDERAL representatives aren't supposed to be spending money on projects that only help their district. They are supposed to only passing legislation that affects America as a whole and abides by Article 1 Section 8, the powers of congress.

This is something she obviously doesn't understand.

American
11-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Oh there is also a reference to how the Democrats have stopped even fielding candidates to run against Ron Paul in his district, that the part I like...!!!! :)

davidkachel
11-22-2007, 12:47 PM
"dope-smoking libertarians"?

...what the heck?

EDIT: This is a hit piece in disguise. Anyone who isn't familiar with Dr. Paul will think he's a lunatic after reading this article.

No, this is not a hit piece.
The Libertarians, with whose philosophy I totally agree, but whose political savvy is non-existent, idiotically push the "legalize drugs" platform to the fore. This has made it easy to label Libertarians as pot-smoking, naive idealists since the formation of the party and every time Libertarians make any ground the "pot-smokers" charge comes out again.
This is their own stupid fault and along with the imbecilic idea that getting dozens of people elected dog catcher will somehow awaken America, these are the reasons the Libertarian party will never, ever accomplish anything more than getting dozens of people elected dog catcher.

0zzy
11-22-2007, 12:50 PM
That's a crappy article written a month ago and reposted.

leipo
11-22-2007, 12:53 PM
No, this is not a hit piece.
The Libertarians, with whose philosophy I totally agree, but whose political savvy is non-existent, idiotically push the "legalize drugs" platform to the fore. This has made it easy to label Libertarians as pot-smoking, naive idealists since the formation of the party and every time Libertarians make any ground the "pot-smokers" charge comes out again.
This is their own stupid fault and along with the imbecilic idea that getting dozens of people elected dog catcher will somehow awaken America, these are the reasons the Libertarian party will never, ever accomplish anything more than getting dozens of people elected dog catcher.

Well there is a huge difference between "dope-smoking" and "pot-smoking". As you may know, smokable dope can also refer to heroin or crack/cocaine.

James R
11-22-2007, 05:47 PM

Good article. It highlights his stand-alone record and that is what makes Ron Paul so great.

hddn-agnda
11-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Ron Paul's Kung Fu is strong.