PDA

View Full Version : If The Second Amendment Is Supposed To Prevent Tyranny, Why Hasn't It Worked?

TywinLannister
01-30-2013, 07:55 PM
Got to thinking about this today. The Second Amendment is supposed to prevent tyranny right? So why have we had tyranny for decades? It didn't seem to do us much good.

dannno
01-30-2013, 07:56 PM
Well we aren't in camps yet. I guess it's more of a last defense, you're supposed to use the first amendment and the voting booth first.

Philhelm
01-30-2013, 07:56 PM
I would consider it to be the very last line of defense. The game ain't over yet.

P.S. Your grandson is a baseborn abomination. :D

TywinLannister
01-30-2013, 08:04 PM
P.S. Your grandson is a baseborn abomination. :D

You're just butthurt that we set your entire fleet of ships on fire =P

TywinLannister
01-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Another thing I have considered is that when the country was started the weapons the average person had were comparable to what the average solider had. The government has upgraded their arsenal to include machine guns, tanks, nukes etc, but the people have not been allowed to have upgraded weapons. Perhaps if people were allowed to have tanks and missile launchers 2A would be more effective?

SpreadOfLiberty
01-30-2013, 08:10 PM
We are pretty free if you think about.

Anti Federalist
01-30-2013, 08:19 PM

How so?

We have an illusion of freedom, but that is rapidly fading.

SpreadOfLiberty
01-30-2013, 08:23 PM
How so?

We have an illusion of freedom, but that is rapidly fading.I pretty much do what I want. I am comparing us to the rest of the world.

coastie
01-30-2013, 08:24 PM
Why has the Second not prevented tyranny?

Because we've never used it. /thread

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-30-2013, 08:25 PM
The second amendment only granted that the populace would have the tools to do the job but it cannot make a populace want to work.

tod evans
01-30-2013, 08:26 PM

By whose estimation?

EBounding
01-30-2013, 08:26 PM
Like this guy says, it's there as a "doomsday provision".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hY2JR92Scmk

Fortunately, we aren't there yet.

"But the colonists fought over much less"

Maybe, but government soldiers aren't shooting groups of citizens openly in the street and quartering soldiers in people's homes. Plus people have a much more comfortable life now, which makes everyone more complacent. Fortunately, a lot of people seem to get uncomfortable when the government is openly taking away their right to own a specific firearm or ammo.

SpreadOfLiberty
01-30-2013, 08:27 PM
Mine?
By whose estimation?

Anti Federalist
01-30-2013, 08:30 PM
I pretty much do what I want. I am comparing us to the rest of the world.

If you get sick, can you go down to a local pharmacy and pick up effective medications relatively inexpensively, to treat yourself without entangling yourself in the medical establishment?

Anti Federalist
01-30-2013, 08:31 PM

Can you travel anywhere, without showing "your papers" or being under surveillance?

Anti Federalist
01-30-2013, 08:32 PM

Do you think you own your property, your home, your possessions, your bank account or your savings?

Anti Federalist
01-30-2013, 08:33 PM

Can you communicate with other people, by any means, and be assured your communication is not being monitored?

NoOneButPaul
01-30-2013, 08:33 PM
Because it's the last defense and we haven't been pushed there yet.

But we're getting close.

Finally... it's hard to blame the 2nd amendment for tyranny when they don't even follow our own Constitution.

dannno
01-30-2013, 08:34 PM
Try making a batch of hummus and selling it on the street corner.

Anti Federalist
01-30-2013, 08:35 PM

Can you freely associate with people of your choosing, and not run the risk of being marked for elimination as a "terrorist" sympathizer?

Anti Federalist
01-30-2013, 08:35 PM

Can you eat or drink or smoke what you want?

pcosmar
01-30-2013, 08:37 PM

The cage has some gilding left in places.

Ender
01-30-2013, 08:39 PM
Mine?

Lessee....

Do you:
Have an SSN?
Driver's License?
Marriage License?
Pay income tax?
Property tax?
Driver's insurance?
Live with zoning laws?
Go to public schools/send your kids to public schools?
Have an unlicensed dog?

Can you:
Buy raw milk?
Use natural plants for medicine?
Drive w/o insurance?
Jay walk?

TomtheTinker
01-30-2013, 08:42 PM
Because we are cowards.

tod evans
01-30-2013, 08:43 PM
Mine?

Your view of "freedom" is vastly different from mine...

Were you raised in the USA?

What decades have you survived?

pcosmar
01-30-2013, 08:44 PM
Why Hasn't It Worked?

It hasn't been used.

or been used rarely,, not widely or consistently.

The Battle of Athens was one example of it's use.

Philhelm
01-30-2013, 08:45 PM
When we can no longer bear arms, it will be time to bare arms.

DamianTV
01-30-2013, 08:45 PM
Got to thinking about this today. The Second Amendment is supposed to prevent tyranny right? So why have we had tyranny for decades? It didn't seem to do us much good.

There is a difference between HAVING a Right and USING a Right.

The same thing can be said about having the Right to not Self Incriminate, which is the basis of Miranda Rights. You can still have the Right, then choose not to use it, by talking to cops without a Lawyer present. You can also have a gun and choose to not use it. And that is where our dilema has come from.

In all reality, there is only one way to take over the United States. The brute force method simply will not work. The invaders would need to come through the "back door". Which is to seize control of our monetary system, and everything else falls into place for those with the usurped power to print money, at interest.

otherone
01-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Can you eat or drink or smoke what you want?

Do you have real currency, or state-provided funny money that's illegal to destroy (because you don't actually own it).

easycougar
01-30-2013, 08:59 PM
In a true, unrestricted free-market, the 2nd amendment would allow any private citizen to buy any type of weapon made...bazookas, rocket launchers, tanks, or any type of weapon comparable to what's in the goverment's arsenal. This would allow a level playing field.