PDA

View Full Version : NYPD arrest 7-year-old boy, put him in handcuffs & hold 10 hours 4 playground fight re $5

sailingaway
01-30-2013, 03:24 PM
NYPD"arrested a 7-year-old boy, put him in handcuffs &held him in custody 10 hours after a playground fight over $5"

Bronx police arrested a seven-year-old boy, put him in handcuffs and held him in custody for ten hours after a playground fight over $5, according to a $250 million claim brought by the child’s family against the city and the NYPD. Officers allegedly arrived at the Bronx public school on Dec. 4 in the morning and handcuffed and held Wilson Reyes in a room there for four hours before taking him to the station house for another six hours of interrogation and verbal abuse, the suit alleges.

The New York Post reports that Reyes’ mother found him at the police precinct, “panicked” and “seated in a shabby chair with his left wrist cuffed to the wall.”

The incident apparently began when Reyes’ was falsely accused by another child of stealing $5, provoking a scuffle. Children seven to 17-years-old can be tried as juveniles and Reyes originally faced a robbery charge before another child admitted to taking the money and charges against the seven-year-old were dropped. But Reyes’ family a seeking damages.

“I never imagined the cops could do that to a child. We’re traumatized,” his mother, Frances Mendez told The New York Post. “It’s unfathomable, what the police did. The whole thing sounds so stupid. They were interrogating him like he was a hardened criminal,” said Mendez’s attorney, Jack Yanowitz.

The city has responded to the claims saying Mendez’s account is “grossly untrue” and that “the child was held in the precinct… less than half of the time mentioned” — which still means a seven-year-old was held for well over four hours over by police.

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/nypd-handcuff-interrogate-7-year-old-over-5

jmdrake
01-30-2013, 03:28 PM
Will the insanity never cease?

ZENemy
01-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Will the insanity never cease?

It will cease when there is enough of us who say so.

Seraphim
01-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Wow 250M$...I hope they win...that should serve notice to the cops.

sailingaway
01-30-2013, 03:43 PM
Wow 250M$...I hope they win...that should serve notice to the cops.

At least it is getting headlines.

Seraphim
01-30-2013, 03:45 PM
True, but like anything in the real world, money, money, money.

Tyrants feel no pain until their resources are drained.

At least it is getting headlines.

phill4paul
01-30-2013, 03:47 PM
True, but like anything in the real world, money, money, money.

Tyrants feel no pain until their resources are drained.

Ain't their money.

kcchiefs6465
01-30-2013, 03:50 PM
Promotions abound.

The Goat
01-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Why didn't they taze the kid? he clearly deserved it.

Seraphim
01-30-2013, 04:03 PM
For this purpose it is.

Let's face it, property rights aside...once the State taxes the money and it's in it's coffers, the money now belongs to the State. The State will happily prove so by force of gun.

So, if a bunch of that money is court ordered to be removed from the State coffers - it hurts the organization.

Ain't their money.

phill4paul
01-30-2013, 04:22 PM
For this purpose it is.

Let's face it, property rights aside...once the State taxes the money and it's in it's coffers, the money now belongs to the State. The State will happily prove so by force of gun.

So, if a bunch of that money is court ordered to be removed from the State coffers - it hurts the organization.

Who paid the money into the legal defense fund and who replenishes it?

aGameOfThrones
01-30-2013, 04:27 PM
Bully’s victim speaks: Cops should have ‘never taken the*cuffs off’ of his 7-year-old tormentor

A 7-year-old Bronx boy handcuffed and held by the NYPD is no innocent: He’s a bully with fast fists and feet, according to his frequent victim.

The arrested boy, Wilson Reyes, intends to sue the city for $250 million — but little Seth Acevedo, 9, told the Daily News that Reyes is a tiny thug with a history of aggressive behavior.

“Wilson was the worst bully,” Seth told the News. “He would call me names. He would punch and kick me. I wish they never took the cuffs off of him.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bully-victim-speaks-article-1.1251351#ixzz2JV5mgnAW

sailingaway
01-30-2013, 04:34 PM
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bully-victim-speaks-article-1.1251351#ixzz2JV5mgnAW

But in fact he did not take the $5 he was accused of. But because he fights with this other kid, completely unrelated to the arrest, a seven year old alone, handcuffed down at a station for a playground fight where he had NOT in fact done the accused act, is ok?

This is an unusual 'blame the victim' story. How dare his family sue the police!

Seraphim
01-30-2013, 04:42 PM
Taxpayers.

Welcome to the world of uber fucked up.

Who paid the money into the legal defense fund and who replenishes it?

Brian4Liberty
01-30-2013, 04:49 PM

Sounds like the kid will get used to being in jail.

liveandletlive
01-30-2013, 04:54 PM
roly poly couldnt handle that shrimp kid? this is a failure of bad parenting and overzealous cops

The Free Hornet
01-30-2013, 05:07 PM
So at what age does this behavior go from acceptable to unacceptable:

The aggressive Wilson “said he wanted to fight me, and I said, ‘I don’t want to fight,’” Acevedo recounted. “And that’s when he punched me in the face.”

www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bully-victim-speaks-article-1.1251351#ixzz2JV5mgnAW (http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bully-victim-speaks-article-1.1251351#ixzz2JV5mgnAW)

Ought the police tell the alleged 9-yo victim that they can't charge the 7-yo alleged assailant because he is 7? Ought they encourage the parents to do whatever job they weren't obviously doing?

Why does age matter at all in this story? Here is my prediction, the 7-yo family gets nothing in compensation but if by chance they do they lose it when sued by the 9-yo family.

I'd rather the police deal with a playground scuffle/theft than micromanaging the government-created black markets.

Anti Federalist
01-30-2013, 05:07 PM
Years ago, young boys were taught how to deal with a bully.

It helped them grow into men.

Now, they whine to the system and grow into pansies and 40 year old adolescents.

sailingaway
01-30-2013, 05:11 PM
So at what age does this behavior go from acceptable to unacceptable:

Ought the police tell the alleged 9-yo victim that they can't charge the 7-yo alleged assailant because he is 7? Ought they encourage the parents to do whatever job they weren't obviously doing?

Why does age matter at all in this story? Here is my prediction, the 7-yo family gets nothing in compensation but if by chance they do they lose it when sued by the 9-yo family.

I'd rather the police deal with a playground scuffle/theft than micromanaging the government-created black markets.

Compare:

“Wilson was the worst bully,” Seth told the News. “He would call me names. He would punch and kick me. I wish they never took the cuffs off of him.”

Reyes was arrested after the Nov. 30 incident when he and a second youth punched and robbed Acevedo of $5, cops said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bully-victim-speaks-article-1.1251351#ixzz2JUzkpsr7

with

The incident apparently began when Reyes’ was falsely accused by another child of stealing $5, provoking a scuffle. Children seven to 17-years-old can be tried as juveniles and Reyes originally faced a robbery charge before another child admitted to taking the money and charges against the seven-year-old were dropped.

I agree bullies should be dealt with, but it is just serendipity if/that this guy was a bully, in this situation, it appears.

and, while not dispositive, note, handcuffed 7 year old:

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1251202!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/reyes-1-0130.jpg

nine year old who alleged seven year old had taken nine year old's $5 when he hadn't, and says he is always bullied by seven year old:

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1251349.1359586023!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/seven31n-2-web.jpg

which one would you think more physically able to bully the other given ages etc?

The Free Hornet
01-30-2013, 10:03 PM
which one would you think more physically able to bully the other given ages etc?

Given the "ages", the 9 yo. Given the "etc", the little tough guy.

I understand he wasn't brought in on assault. I suspect the premise of the story title is that I'm supposed to be emotionally appalled at the thought of a 7-year old being cuffed and arrested. I'm not. In fact - despite the never call the cops advice - in the context of a public or similarly incompetent school, it ought to be done with much greater frequency ("Ramos said she has contacted school officials several times about the 4-foot-7, 75-pound Wilson’s behavior."). The bullies should get arrested, face restraining orders that prevent them from contact with victims or proximity to the same in school, and they should be sued in civil court after criminal convictions.

Maybe my attitude is a response to the 'no spanking/zero tolerance' culture. The tools we used to use to adjust these situations are slowly being taken away. New ideas should be in play and if that means miscreants handcuffed in a police station, so be it. I wouldn't tolerate someone punching me in the face, yet we expect kids to tolerate it.

I don't have a problem with kids fighting back. I do have a problem with them tolerating physical assault.

The characterization of assault as a "playground fight" is more offensive. Regarding AF's comments, as far as how bullies ought to be taught a lesson, I don't necessarily disagree. The characteristic behavior of a bully is the selection of targets that won't fight back.

sailingaway
01-30-2013, 10:06 PM
Given the "ages", the 9 yo. Given the "etc", the little tough guy.

I understand he wasn't brought in on assault. I suspect the premise of the story title is that I'm supposed to be emotionally appalled at the thought of a 7-year old being cuffed and arrested. I'm not. In fact - despite the never call the cops advice - in the context of a public or similarly incompetent school, it ought to be done with much greater frequency ("Ramos said she has contacted school officials several times about the 4-foot-7, 75-pound Wilson’s behavior."). The bullies should get arrested, face restraining orders that prevent them from contact with victims or proximity to the same in school, and they should be sued in civil court after criminal convictions.

Maybe my attitude is a response to the 'no spanking/zero tolerance' culture. The tools we used to use to adjust these situations are slowly being taken away. New ideas should be in play and if that means miscreants handcuffed in a police station, so be it. I wouldn't tolerate someone punching me in the face, yet we expect kids to tolerate it.

I don't have a problem with kids fighting back. I do have a problem with them tolerating physical assault.

The characterization of assault as a "playground fight" is more offensive. Regarding AF's comments, as far as how bullies ought to be taught a lesson, I don't necessarily disagree. The characteristic behavior of a bully is the selection of targets that won't fight back.

Without the facts specified you seem to be assuming the facts were one way and I am assuming they are another. I agree bullying should be dealt with. Since this charge that they guy and another beat him up and stole $5 was clearly untrue at least as to one element, I wonder about others.

sparebulb
01-30-2013, 10:15 PM
Roley-poley looks like he might be a 'tard, which makes picking on him pretty despicable. But the worst example of bullying is grown men pushing around children because they are much bigger and the State says that they can.

sailingaway
01-30-2013, 10:17 PM
ok, and you are bringing in yet another unknown possibility I hadn't considered....

the facts we are dreaming up are more compelling than the ones in the articles, at this point...