PDA

View Full Version : Stewart attacks libertarianism via Glenn Beck

TheGrinch
01-30-2013, 01:03 PM
The smear machine has now started up again, and we're already seeing how Glenn Beck's co-opting libertarianism only gives them more ammo to smear it.

Hate to give them hits, but this segment pissed me off so much that I have to share: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-january-29-2013/america-2--now-with-more-freedom---glenn-beck-s-utopia

I believe there are also other anti-liberty segments on the side under the title "America 2", but this was enough to get my blood boiling.

Don't let this deter you from trying to bring true libertarianism into the mainstream discourse (we've done a great job of that or they wouldn't be pushing back so hard), but be wary of the smear machine from the left (and probably on the right if the message can't be co-opted), and hacks like Beck to twist the message into something completely different from what we want.

Definitely a reminder that this is still an uphill battle towards legitimacy.

sailingaway
01-30-2013, 01:04 PM
Indecision central itself put it well when they pointed out that Glen Beck's brand and libertarianism are 'two distinct tastes that rarely taste good together'.

kcchiefs6465
01-30-2013, 01:18 PM
The entire segment is longer. I don't know if they have a full episode or something but it definitely went on for a while. I remember him speaking about Thomas Jefferson and implying that America really couldn't be freer. Thanks anyways. I couldn't find anything on it.

muh_roads
01-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Sorry but that did deserve ridicule. Glenn Beck creating a town that wants to be more free and adhere to free market principles yet he wants to tell people what businesses can and can't be there?

Look people it is easy to defend libertarianism. Preface your conversations by first saying "Glenn Beck is retarded".

TheGrinch
01-30-2013, 01:51 PM
Sorry but that did deserve ridicule. Glenn Beck creating a town that wants to be more free and adhere to free market principles yet he wants to tell people what businesses can and can't be there?

Look people it is easy to defend libertarianism. Preface your conversations by first saying "Glenn Beck is retarded".

Yes, it deserves ridicule, but from our side, for them to take a hack's statements out of context, and use it to make us look like a bunch of retards.

itshappening
01-30-2013, 02:27 PM
Beck is a trojan horse, he's been setup to act like a libertarian and then ridicule it with stupid schemes and also attack other personalities like Alex Jones. He's boring quite frankly.

Smart3
01-30-2013, 02:43 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vpE6uMJ37dk/UOScrne47aI/AAAAAAAAEL4/Ki-4IWO-SoY/s1600/ron-paul.gif

The Goat
01-30-2013, 02:57 PM
Since Beck went off TV I've only heard stuff about him here. lol, lot of people I know use to watch him. now crickets.

CT4Liberty
01-30-2013, 03:00 PM
Wow - Beck is a moron and Stewarts skit was funny and on point...

The only good thing about this, from a Libertarian point of view, is that he called it Tea Party paradise and didnt mention Libertarianism once...

Tod
01-30-2013, 03:10 PM
I caught a couple minutes of Beck recently and he was joking that he was becoming so hard-core libertarian so quickly that he expected to support heroin legalization within a few hours. If that doesn't clue a person in that this "conversion" is a useful tool to keep his audience, then that person is probably an ardent fan. :eek:

kcchiefs6465
01-30-2013, 03:57 PM
Wow - Beck is a moron and Stewarts skit was funny and on point...

The only good thing about this, from a Libertarian point of view, is that he called it Tea Party paradise and didnt mention Libertarianism once...
Here's the whole clip- http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/tue-january-29-2013-melissa-mccarthy

ETA: Guess it's not as bad as I originally thought. Glenn Beck is mainly the joke. The last 45 seconds to minute of the first segment is what annoyed me.

Tax the Fed
01-30-2013, 04:03 PM
. . . Beck . . . becoming so hard-core libertarian so quickly that he expected to support heroin legalization within a few hours.

implication that libertarians = heroin or support heroin or want heroin is just great for Beck,

Beck knows that the framers of the constitution of the United States was really all about heroin.
That is what makes the USA such a great nation - all the heroin that there is in the USA . . .
Go USA = Go heroin

Fukthenannystate
01-30-2013, 04:08 PM
I can't even watch Glenn Beck ironically anymore... he's that bad. I remember Stewart identified himself at one point as a libertarian... so did Lewis Black. I think since Glenn Beck & the Tea Party, celebrities who rely on younger audiences have distanced themselves from "libertarians".. what was once a political movement in the scene that attracted a lot of youth. The entire electronic music scene was based around libertarianism, for example. Those were the days =(

RabbitMan
01-30-2013, 04:09 PM
Everybody gets skewered by Stewart--Progressives, Conservatives, Libertarians, Liberals, whatever. Stop the Jon Stewart hate, it is ridiculous and ALWAYS taken out of context. Like someone in the crowd getting upset that a comedian is making fun of him.

Fukthenannystate
01-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Everybody gets skewered by Stewart--Progressives, Conservatives, Libertarians, Liberals, whatever. Stop the Jon Stewart hate, it is ridiculous and ALWAYS taken out of context. Like someone in the crowd getting upset that a comedian is making fun of him.

+1

kcchiefs6465
01-30-2013, 04:18 PM
His real opinions show through often. His gun grabbing segments annoyed the hell out of me. (Rehashing the 'musket debate' etc.) As did the last minute of the first segment in that episode I posted. You can tell when he's joking and you can tell when he's not. And quite frankly if he had his way there would be an AWB tomorrow. I used to watch him when he just made fun of idiots. Lately he's been adding in more and more of his personal opinion, which I might add is usually opposite from any Liberty minded opinion I can think of. I liked him better when he just told jokes.

pochy1776
01-30-2013, 06:33 PM
I can't even watch Glenn Beck ironically anymore... he's that bad. I remember Stewart identified himself at one point as a libertarian... so did Lewis Black. I think since Glenn Beck & the Tea Party, celebrities who rely on younger audiences have distanced themselves from "libertarians".. what was once a political movement in the scene that attracted a lot of youth. The entire electronic music scene was based around libertarianism, for example. Those were the days =(

more and more i sart to miss 2004-2006. 2007 made it all crash.

twomp
01-30-2013, 09:05 PM
I don't even hear him say the word "Libertarian" in that whole segment. He just made fun Glenn Beck's version of "utopia" and liberty which we all know is full of crap. Not even sure why this thread was created. Seems like people are more offended that Stewart made fun of Glenn Beck. Personally I don't give a rat's ass about Glenn Beck and his version of liberty. Glenn Beck is a tyrant holding a liberty flag. Have at it Jon Stewart.

green73
01-30-2013, 09:14 PM
Yeah, Beck deserved some ass tearing for that. We just have to keep repudiating Beck is all.

TheGrinch
01-30-2013, 09:25 PM
I don't even hear him say the word "Libertarian" in that whole segment. He just made fun Glenn Beck's version of "utopia" and liberty which we all know is full of crap. Not even sure why this thread was created. Seems like people are more offended that Stewart made fun of Glenn Beck. Personally I don't give a rat's ass about Glenn Beck and his version of liberty. Glenn Beck is a tyrant holding a liberty flag. Have at it Jon Stewart.

See, the thing about satire is that they don't always spell out what they're saying. It's implied, but in this case there was plenty more than implication (see below).

The entire multi-segment is called "America 2: Now with more freedom", and there is actually a segment before that where he prefaces his rant about Beck by making fun of the people trying to start liberty communities, and then segways to the Beck segment by saying "The point is, someone needs to show these liberals and progressives what real freedom looks like. Any takers?". You can see all 3 segments on the sidebar on the page.

And I entirely disagree that he's an equal-opportunity offender. Yes, he pokes fun and takes out of context with the liberals/democrats when they ook foolish or hypocritical, but he saves the satire aimed at smear or the ideology itself for the right-wingers. Hell, he really only defended Dr. Paul to make the republicans look foolish. There's really no disputing all of that, the show is heavily left-leaning....

And there's not necessarily wrong with them catering to a particular audience, but with having the ability to take out of context and satirically sensationalize statements (say that 5 times fast), it really de-legitimatizes them as a news source (as many progessives use it to form their opinions on current events), when they're far less fair and balanced than even fox news, with an ability to completely twist context under the guise of comedic satire.

UpperDecker
01-30-2013, 10:35 PM

I used to love the Daily Show, but you can see more and more of his Progressive attitude coming out these days.

Giuliani was there on 911
01-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Stewart is trash. I find it utterly ridiculous when people on our side see him as a decent middle of the road guy. It really doesn't get any more Left than Jon Stewart.

fr33
01-30-2013, 11:02 PM
I used to listen to Beck's radio show long before he had the tv show and the multiple websites. This was when he was syndicated but not near as popular. His show was barely political at all! It was all slapstick-humor and goofy impersonations/voices. In other words it was more like Howard Stern than Glenn Beck today. You could tell he was a republican because, duh, it was AM talk but it was NOTHING like his fox news tv show or his current radio show. When I saw a few of his fox news shows I couldn't believe it was the same guy.

I don't think he's even a conservative much less a libertarian. He's a profiteer. He'll just say anything to make money.

brushfire
01-30-2013, 11:47 PM
Beck is a trojan horse, he's been setup to act like a libertarian and then ridicule it with stupid schemes and also attack other personalities like Alex Jones. He's boring quite frankly.

He did the same to the tea party. I have NOTHING nice to say about glenn beck.

Carehn
01-31-2013, 12:25 AM
What r u talking about? this was funny! And true!

Tpoints
01-31-2013, 12:32 AM
http://thecommittedindian.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Grinds-my-gears1.jpg

HigherVision
01-31-2013, 01:58 AM
I didn't watch the clip and I don't like Glenn Beck but I fucking hate Jon Stewart.

devil21
01-31-2013, 02:03 AM
Stewart is trash. I find it utterly ridiculous when people on our side see him as a decent middle of the road guy. It really doesn't get any more Left than Jon Stewart.

I hold Stewart in far higher regard than Beck. Stewart has been much more friendly and helpful to the movement than Beck has been (compare Stewart's 13th floor of the hotel segment to Beck's Paul supporters are terrorists segment). I know both aren't friendly in their own ways though. Beck's co-opt attempt is much more of a personal attack on us.

This segment was perfect. He didn't say libertarians and he pretty much just pointed out Beck's hypocrisy and it was funny. Beckbeckbeckistan. lol

dbill27
01-31-2013, 04:00 AM
It seems like stewart made all the same points we would make about glenn beck. I couldn't have made fun of him any better myself. Well done daily show.

compromise
01-31-2013, 04:29 AM
Rand Paul also calls Beck a libertarian in The Tea Party Goes to Washington.

vita3
01-31-2013, 06:23 AM
Interesting fact about Jon Stewart. His real last name is Leibowitz & his brother is COO of the NY Stock Echange. Larry Leibowitz

Always enjoy knowing who our media figures really are & where their interests intersect

Tpoints
01-31-2013, 06:59 AM
Interesting fact about Jon Stewart. His real last name is Leibowitz & his brother is COO of the NY Stock Echange. Larry Leibowitz

Always enjoy knowing who our media figures really are & where their interests intersect

Is there something wrong about being Jewish?

vita3
01-31-2013, 07:05 AM

Maybe your question should be directed @ Jon for changing his name.

cajuncocoa
01-31-2013, 09:07 AM
Rand Paul also calls Beck a libertarian in The Tea Party Goes to Washington.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/cajuncocoa/Emoticons/facepalm.gif

Giuliani was there on 911
01-31-2013, 09:56 AM

no nothing at all. We're all individuals. Yes it's true that a very disproportionately high number of Jewish people are represented in the media and they are extremely hostile to us and our cause. But please don't fall into the collectivist trap of trying to stereotype Jewish people as mostly being far left neocons who prefer to act in their ethnic self interest.

buck000
01-31-2013, 10:59 AM
I still think Stewart is hilarious. I've been chafing the last few months at his focusing his wit on non-Democrats, but then I realize that hit targets are generally idiots anyway, and I'm not really a Republican (the world just thinks I am because I voted for Dr. Paul in the last few primaries). ;)

Stewart has been doing some serious boot-licking lately, such as with Stanley McChrystal ("miltary should have those Evil Black Rifles, but not citizens") and Missy Cummings, the Big Brain doing objective cheerleading in Rise of the Drones on how UAVs will be cheaper, safer (for our Boys In Uniform), and more effective in Fightin' Turrurists (tm)....yeesh.

Tax the Fed
01-31-2013, 11:36 AM
I didn't watch the clip and I don't like Glenn Beck but I fucking hate Jon Stewart.

We should attack these two more than ever if Rand runs in 2016, as they both
enjoy themselves way too much while distorting our efforts.

Only media personality that is worse is . . . yep the one and only . . .

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/sunblush/terdhead001.jpg