PDA

View Full Version : Washington Post: Why the assault weapons ban is (probably) going nowhere

RonPaulFanInGA
01-29-2013, 03:41 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/01/29/why-the-assault-weapons-ban-is-probably-going-nowhere/

Acala
01-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Ain't gonna happen.

A high-cap magazine ban is still a threat but it has real problems too - especially if it includes handguns because virtually every modern full-size semi-auto handgun on the market has more than a ten round mag.

The universal background check is the proposal I think most likely to pass.

Lucille
01-29-2013, 04:16 PM
The universal background check is the proposal I think most likely to pass.

That's the worst part.

http://blog.independent.org/2013/01/24/troubling-public-opinion-trends-for-gun-rights-and-civil-liberties/

On how to respond to mass shootings and violent crime, the public opinion trends frighten me, especially when broken down by political identification. Predictably, Democrats are in favor of gun control by wider margins than Republicans. But still, 92% of Republicans favor universal background checks, which I consider as bad a proposal as any being offered. It will mean the death of gun shows as we know them.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/ClaireWolfe/2013/01/26/sometimes-i-am-so-afraid/

I’m not afraid of DiFi’s proposed “assault weapon” ban. Oh, don’t mistake me; I hate it, despise it, loathe it, and have many unspeakable thoughts about it. But I don’t fear it. It probably won’t pass. And as we know even better than the banners, even if it did, it’s all about cosmetics. We’d be losing rights but only scraps of fuctionality.

The thing I most fear is a ban on private sales.

Nothing would stop private sales, of course. It’s just that every private sale could be a threat of 10 years in prison. And we’d learn to distrust people who ought to be our peaceable trading partners: “Is this one an agent provocateur?” “Will that one snitch if they put pressure on him?”

A private-sale ban is even more fearsome because the NRA and the R-Party will go for that one, and the most gun-hating people in Congress (Lautenberg and McCarthy) are already customizing bills to give their alleged opponents something to “compromise” on.

Some FFLs will even be in favor or it because they’ll think it’s a way to use government against the competition. Or force more of us to bring them transfer and background check business.

It’ll be only a closing of the true “gun-show loophole” at first. You and I will still be able to sell our possessions privately to our neighbors and friends. The NRA will tell us what a “reasonable” compromise they helped achieve and oh by the way, send Your Great Protectors another contribution.

But when tightening the screws on gun shows doesn’t halt violent crime — and it won’t — then … well, you know.

dillo
01-29-2013, 05:07 PM
Feinstein is a decaying cunt

JK/SEA
01-29-2013, 05:50 PM
Feinstein is a decaying cunt

pretty sure she'd take that as a compliment.

belian78
01-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Don't worry, we'll all be labeled terrorists, and then they can use the spiffy new law to deny us even a frickin peashooter.

phill4paul
01-29-2013, 06:19 PM
Keep believing that it is going "nowhere." History will prove this statement wrong. Bank on it.

ninepointfive
01-29-2013, 06:36 PM
Don't worry, we'll all be labeled terrorists, and then they can use the spiffy new law to deny us even a frickin peashooter.

or just mentally unfit

ZENemy
01-29-2013, 06:50 PM
Keep believing that it is going "nowhere." History will prove this statement wrong. Bank on it.

Yup...

Obamacare was looking to fail at almost all media outlets, even the mainstream.