PDA

View Full Version : Rand to propose ban on F-16's to Egypt

itshappening
01-28-2013, 09:31 PM
This could put some Democrat senators in a tough spot if he can get this to the floor, he must be sure he can get a vote on it otherwise I'm not sure why he'd propose it. I would have thought Reid would block it but we'll see.

-
WASHINGTON — Sen. Rand Paul told an off-the-record meeting of conservative donors and powerbrokers Monday that he plans to file a bill that would ban sending F-16 fighter jets to Egypt.

"The crowed loved it," a source told BuzzFeed.

Last year, Lockheed Martin delivered 20 F-16 fighter jets to Egypt as part of $1.3 billion in military aid from the U.S. government, The New York Times reported.

Paul has expressed concern for the practice in the past — but his remarks via Skype to the so-called "Monday Meeting" in New York City showed even firmer support by the Kentucky senator for policies that might cater to Jewish voters, as well as Evangelical groups that are staunchly pro-Israel.

Paul's role in the meeting came as a surprise to attendees: Sen. Mike Lee was slated to be the sole featured speaker, but was held up in Washington by a vote to approve the last wave of Hurricane Sandy relief funding, which he opposed. When Lee Skyped in to the meeting, he invited Paul, Sen. Tim Scott and Sen. Ted Cruz to make cameos appearances.

At a similar closed-door conservative meeting in Charleston last week, Paul met separately with a small group of Evangelical ministers, one of whom asked about his commitment to Israeli interests.

Paul, who recently visited Israel, responded that Israel was among his top priorities, a source said.

To further beef up his pro-Israel credentials, Paul's office has also expressed interest in the senator speaking at an event next month to celebrate congressional support for Israel's Iron Dome anti-missile defense program.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rebeccaberg/rand-paul-will-propose-banning-f-16-sales-to-egypt

Brett85
01-28-2013, 09:37 PM
This could put some Democrat senators in a tough spot if he can get this to the floor,

I'm not sure the majority of Republicans in the Senate would even vote for it. Rubio certainly wouldn't.

itshappening
01-28-2013, 09:38 PM
I'm not sure the majority of Republicans in the Senate would even vote for it. Rubio certainly wouldn't.

Rubio will if Jewish groups are behind it

RonPaul25
01-28-2013, 09:38 PM
Ban the sale of weapons to Israel and I'll take him seriously. Rand is just pandering to the Israel first evangelical nutjobs.

acptulsa
01-28-2013, 09:39 PM

The Zionists all know he's just trying to cut Egypt and Israel's other enemies off so he can then cut Israel off. So, no.

itshappening
01-28-2013, 09:43 PM
The Zionists all know he's just trying to cut Egypt and Israel's other enemies off so he can then cut Israel off. So, no.

We'll see what happens, it sounds like a populist move that might draw their support in.

Pisces
01-28-2013, 09:49 PM

I doubt it. His internationalist foreign policy is not just about Israel. The Western globablists are stirring things up in the Middle East and North Africa and their support for the Morsi government in Egypt is a part of this. Remember when Michelle Bachmann and Louis Gohmert made claims that the State Department had been infiltrated by the Muslim Brotherhood? Rubio denounced them as did McCain and the rest of the neo-con bunch. Bachmann has made so many crazy statements that I don't know that I believe her here, but it was interesting to see the reaction from the neo-cons.

I think we may see a rift developing between the Israel-loving evangelicals and the neo-cons. Many of them are scratching their heads about our govt supporting jihadists in Libya and Syria, especially after we were told the War on Terror was all about fighting radical Islam.

Dystopian
01-28-2013, 09:55 PM
Israel is the terrorist nation, why not cut them off first?

Oh wait, I know why...

Agorism
01-28-2013, 09:57 PM

Oh wait, I know why...

Is it because Egypt so many nukes?

Dystopian
01-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Egypt must be a real existential threat to a country that has hundreds of nukes pointed at them.

:rolleyes:

Brett85
01-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Ban the sale of weapons to Israel and I'll take him seriously. Rand is just pandering to the Israel first evangelical nutjobs.

Obviously because he would need to win over those "Israel first evangelical nutjobs" if he wanted to have any chance to win the GOP nomination for President.

Dystopian
01-28-2013, 10:10 PM
Obviously because he would need to win over those "Israel first evangelical nutjobs" if he wanted to have any chance to win the GOP nomination for President.

And once he wins the presidency do you think he will throw that group under the bus or continue to pander to them?

LibertyEagle
01-28-2013, 10:11 PM

Oh wait, I know why...

Because it wouldn't be accepted. Look, Rand already tried cutting off ALL foreign aid. It fell flat on its face. So, he's now going about accomplishing it in another way. A way that will actually work.

Brett85
01-28-2013, 10:32 PM
And once he wins the presidency do you think he will throw that group under the bus or continue to pander to them?

I'm not sure what you mean by "pander." He's said that he eventually wants to end all foreign aid.

acptulsa
01-28-2013, 10:37 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "pander." He's said that he eventually wants to end all foreign aid.

Statists are concerned with where we are. Purist libertarians are concerned with where we need to be. Believe it or not, there are people out there who are more interested in how we get there, and how painful the trip is.

It's possible to believe an end to foreign aid is desirable, and still think it important to end it to them first before ending it to those other guys. If that's all that's standing between us and millions of votes, well, why the hell not? If someone says, 'I'll split my steak with you, but only if we cut it with a ceramic knife, not one of those stainless knives,' what part of there's half a steak in it for you do you not understand?

Brett85
01-28-2013, 10:38 PM
Statists are concerned with where we are. Purist libertarians are concerned with where we need to be. Believe it or not, there are people out there who are more interested in how we get there, and how painful the trip is.

It's possible to believe an end to foreign aid is desirable, and still think it important to end it to them first before ending it to those other guys. If that's all that's standing between us and millions of votes, well, why the hell not?

That and the fact that there's a 0% chance of Congress ever voting to cut off foreign aid to Israel anyway.

acptulsa
01-28-2013, 10:40 PM
That and the fact that there's a 0% chance of Congress ever voting to cut off foreign aid to Israel anyway.

You seem to be in denial about just how broke we are.

'The budget is a mythical beanbag. Congress votes mythical beans into it, and then tries to reach in and pull real beans out.'--Will Rogers

A couple of times over the last few years, we've come very close to the situation where Congress votes themselves those mystical beans, but can't pull any real beans out. When that actually comes to pass, the impossible will become possible as surely as the possible becomes impossible. Everything will change. Business as usual will have no meaning.

Brett85
01-28-2013, 10:43 PM
You seem to be in denial about just how broke we are.

I was talking about what Congress would realistically do, not what I want them to do.

BlackTerrel
01-28-2013, 10:51 PM
http://www.christianpost.com/news/coptic-christians-asking-free-world-to-cut-ties-with-egypt-under-morsi-86428/

http://www.copts.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4192&Itemid=1

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/politics/2011/October/Congress-Cut-Egypt-Aid-over-Christian-Persecution/

The founder of an international group of advocates for the equality and rights of Coptic Christians is appealing to the leaders of democratic nations to cut any ties with Egypt. The Voice of the Copts is attempting to thwart President Mohamed Morsi's regime from implementing a primarily Islamic-based constitution.

Nearly 3 out of 4 Americans surveyed think the United States should reduce its aid to Egypt or cut it off entirely

Members of Congress are urging President Obama to cut off aid to Egypt because of the growing persecution of Christians there.

That appeal is being circulated in a letter on Capitol Hill. Lawmakers want to suspend $1 billion a year in military aid until Egypt's Christians are fully protected.

Coptic Christians make up about 10 percent of Egypt's population

BlackTerrel
01-28-2013, 10:53 PM
Seems like this should be a popular move among Americans.

acptulsa
01-28-2013, 11:08 PM
Seems like this should be a popular move among Americans.

Seems like.

One thing's certain. If Rand can accomplish a good step in the right direction by timing it, and choosing what it is, by what is 'trending' among the evangelicals, fine. We need the allies.

alucard13mmfmj
01-28-2013, 11:22 PM
its ok. we can give israel some F22's

fr33
01-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Picking 1 out of the whole lot won't fix anything. In fact it just makes things worse in that 1 country. Anybody ever study human reactions?

Aeroneous
01-28-2013, 11:34 PM
its ok. we can give israel some F22's

I'm fine with that. It's a terrible airframe. If their experience with them is anything like ours, they'll lose numerous pilots due to hypoxia and the jets will never see combat time.

Also, Israel already has the most advanced Air Force. We might have a much larger fleet, but their aircraft are technologically superior.

anaconda
01-29-2013, 12:38 AM
Rand once again proving he is a pathetic neocon.

Jon311
01-29-2013, 09:36 AM
Rand once again proving he is a pathetic neocon.

If your seriously comparing Rand to the likes of Cheney, Rumsfeld, the Kristols etc. , then you have some problems.

This is a brilliant move by Rand. He tried the approach of cutting ALL foreign aid, and it went nowhere. Now, he is tackling the issue one country at a time. Not only will this be a step in the right direction to eventually cut all foreign aid, but this will also help him score points with the pro-Israel crowd.

I despise neocons and the lot, but you really think that Rand would get anywhere if he went around yelling "I will end all foreign aid, including Isreal" That approach would NEVER work.

I wish you success in your journey to find your perfect candidate. Maybe, he's out there somewhere.

dinosaur
01-29-2013, 09:47 AM
I doubt it. His internationalist foreign policy is not just about Israel. The Western globablists are stirring things up in the Middle East and North Africa and their support for the Morsi government in Egypt is a part of this. Remember when Michelle Bachmann and Louis Gohmert made claims that the State Department had been infiltrated by the Muslim Brotherhood? Rubio denounced them as did McCain and the rest of the neo-con bunch. Bachmann has made so many crazy statements that I don't know that I believe her here, but it was interesting to see the reaction from the neo-cons.

I think we may see a rift developing between the Israel-loving evangelicals and the neo-cons. Many of them are scratching their heads about our govt supporting jihadists in Libya and Syria, especially after we were told the War on Terror was all about fighting radical Islam.

Yes, their bigger agenda is not about protecting Israel, never has been. Hope people wake up to it while there is still time to do something about it. This is one big reason why I am glad that Rand is making the noises that he is making, those votes are in play.

He is calling their bluff.

anaconda
01-29-2013, 01:19 PM
If your seriously comparing Rand to the likes of Cheney, Rumsfeld, the Kristols etc. , then you have some problems.

This is a brilliant move by Rand. He tried the approach of cutting ALL foreign aid, and it went nowhere. Now, he is tackling the issue one country at a time. Not only will this be a step in the right direction to eventually cut all foreign aid, but this will also help him score points with the pro-Israel crowd.

I despise neocons and the lot, but you really think that Rand would get anywhere if he went around yelling "I will end all foreign aid, including Isreal" That approach would NEVER work.

I wish you success in your journey to find your perfect candidate. Maybe, he's out there somewhere.

I was joking. I was poking fun at all of the Rand haters that are tempted to call him a neocon.

RonPaulFanInGA
01-29-2013, 02:15 PM

Oh wait, I know why...

Because there isn't enough support among the U.S. Congress to cut Israel off, and just because there isn't does not mean that an attempt to deny hundreds of millions of U.S. taxpayer dollars in "gifts" to Egypt is a bad thing?

(Duh.)

twomp
01-29-2013, 03:23 PM
I don't like Rand Paul's statement on Israel but this is something WE can all get behind. Less airplanes to Egypt means less of our money going to foreigners. Sounds good to me.

Jon311
01-29-2013, 07:14 PM
I was joking. I was poking fun at all of the Rand haters that are tempted to call him a neocon.

My bad.

tsai3904
01-30-2013, 05:30 PM
This issue will be voted on tomorrow as an amendment to HR 325, the No Budget No Pay Act.

BlackTerrel
02-07-2013, 09:40 PM
http://m.global.christianpost.com/news/two-children-to-be-tried-for-insulting-islam-in-egypt-as-anti-christian-hostility-escalates--89370/

Among files on arrested converts from Islam, kidnapped Christian girls and beaten monks piling up on the desk of a noted lawyer in Egypt, on top is the case of two boys about to be tried for allegedly showing contempt of Islam.

Attorney Karam Gabriel said anti-Christian hostilities in the restive country are getting worse as the two boys are to be tried in a court in Beni Suef – the same city where a mother and her seven children were convicted last month for reconverting to Christianity – for showing "contempt to Islamic religion and insulting the Koran."

The accusation against Nabil Naji Rizq and Mina Atallah (identified in some press reports as Mina Nadi Faraj), who were 10 and 9 years old respectively at the time of their arrest in late September, of insulting the Koran made headlines throughout the country after a man saw them playing in rubbish that he claimed included pages from the Koran. Accusing them of tearing pages of Islam's holy book – a later version of the story had them allegedly urinating on it – he filed a report that led to the arrest of the two children. They were released in early October.

Angry protestors from Beni Suef reportedly intimidated Christian residents of the nearby village of Ezbat Marco at that time and prevented them from going to work.

"They are just small children, and they don't really understand what all the fuss is about – they can't even tell the difference between the Koran, the Bible or any other holy book," Gabriel said.