PDA

View Full Version : Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, Facebook to require warrants

VoluntaryAmerican
01-26-2013, 10:09 PM
Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, and Facebook all say that they require full warrants in order to provide the contents of emails and messages to government entities, The Hill reports. That's a higher standard than currently required by US law, which as of now is largely defined by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA). The ECPA was passed in 1986 and sets a relatively low bar for accessing private data — but Senator Patrick Leahy has been trying to pass a revision that would require warrants, though the bill stalled out in the last Congress.

While the update for the ECPA is pending, those four companies all gave The Hill variations on the same statement, that they have policies that require a warrant before providing the content of messages. Those policies aren't backed by the force of law yet, however, and there are other reasons for users to still be concerned about how much data government entities can get from these companies without a warrant.

"IF THEY COME FOR REGISTRATION INFORMATION, THAT'S ONE THING, BUT IF THEY ASK FOR CONTENT OF E-MAIL, THAT'S ANOTHER THING."

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/26/3917684/google-microsoft-yahoo-facebook-require-warrants-private-content

sailingaway
01-26-2013, 10:11 PM
good.

although I don't see why registration information isn't private as well.

Indy Vidual
01-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, and Facebook all say...
Apple had nothing to say?

sailingaway
01-26-2013, 10:19 PM
Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, and Facebook all say...
Apple had nothing to say?

Apple is fighting the FBI wanting automatic back doors for FBI spying to have to be built into each site. That article didn't have a response from the others.

Natural Citizen
01-26-2013, 10:35 PM
I'll soon be using startmail. Fuggem.....

Natural Citizen
01-26-2013, 10:39 PM
It's the mobile phone data transmission that they want to go after though. Just to be clear. The flipside is that those devices already spill all of the beans through keyloggers and data transmissions to carriers. Remember Carrier IQ? That's only one software though. Certainly there are other flavors of the same kind of tyranny derived from the machine and it's minions and turned against humanity itself.The carriers are the ones giving up the goods. ISP's as well. Millions and millions of requests and grants for the warrants came last year, btw. Pay attention, people. Have to watch the left hand while the right one tries to fool yuns.

I was reading a paper a few days ago that said that 92 or 98 % of all of the warrants requested last year alone were to target mobile "customers'" data. Millions of people, I'm sure the majority were innocent law abiding citizens (note that I said citizens...not consumers). And the courts hand those warrants out like candy with absolutely zero oversight. Many, I'm sure, aren't constitutional in any way.

One more thing while I'm thinking of it. This is what happens when we agree that those entities (theoretical people, except not) fool one into accepting the notions of documents such as terms of service which over ride the citizens constitution and bill of rights. You see? Oh, yes. Good old U S of a will certainly be repatriotized. But of, by and for "whom" exactly? Wake up. Pay attention. You're now relegated to a "consumer". That's the language directed toward you when addressing you. Not Citizen. As always...another example of the battle to regain citizenship and the benefits endowed by those long forgotten founders.

tangent4ronpaul
01-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Free Email Providers - International
http://www.fepg.net/foreign.html

Free VOIP / Phone Calls
http://www.fecg.net/phone.asp

-t