PDA

View Full Version : NY Gun Registration Spawns Massive Civil Disobedience

TywinLannister
01-26-2013, 06:03 AM
http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/constitution/item/14322-gun-owners-refuse-to-register-under-new-york-law

After Democrats in New York rammed a sweeping assault on the right to keep and bear arms through the legislature that failed to exempt police officers from the draconian restrictions, gun owners and even some lawmakers are planning what has been dubbed potentially the largest act of civil disobedience in state history. According to news reports, gun rights activists are urging everyone to defy far-left Governor Andrew Cuomo’s new registration mandate while daring authorities to “come and take it.”

Preparations are already being made for mass resistance. “I’ve heard from hundreds of people that they’re prepared to defy the law, and that number will be magnified by the thousands, by the tens of thousands, when the registration deadline comes,’’ said President Brian Olesen with American Shooters Supply, among the biggest gun dealers in the state, in an interview with the New York Post.

Even government officials admit that forcing New Yorkers to register their guns will be a tough sell, and they are apparently aware that massive non-compliance will be the order of the day. “Many of these assault-rifle owners aren’t going to register; we realize that,’’ a source in the Cuomo administration told the Post, adding that officials expect “widespread violations” of the new statute.

Threats of imprisoning gun owners for up to a year and confiscating their weapons are already being issued by governor’s office, headed by a rabid anti-Second Amendment extremist who suggested before the bill passed that “confiscation” of all semi-automatic rifles was being considered. If tens or even hundreds of thousands of otherwise law-abiding citizens refuse to comply, however, analysts say New York would either have to start raising taxes and building a lot more prisons, or give up on the scheme that experts say will do nothing to reduce violence and that lawmakers say is aimed at eventual confiscation.

“They’re saying, ‘F--- the governor! F--- Cuomo! We’re not going to register our guns,’ and I think they’re serious. People are not going to do it. People are going to resist,” explained State Rifle and Pistol Association President Tom King, who also serves on the National Rifle Association board of directors. “They’re taking one of our guaranteed civil rights, and they’re taking it away.”

Throughout the short discussion on the bill, GOP legislators warned about the prospect of resistance — potentially resulting in violence. Indeed, even some lawmakers have already promised to defy the new unconstitutional statute. Republican state Assemblyman Steve Katz, for example, told his colleagues during the debate that the legislation’s attempt to re-define semi-automatic rifles as banned “assault weapons” creates “a new class of criminals overnight.” However, he also mentioned that he had no intention of complying with the arbitrary seven-bullet maximum demanded under the legislation.

“I leave my wife and three young daughters home alone for days at a time to represent my constituents here,” Katz said on the floor of the Assembly. “After what happened to the young mother in Loganville, Georgia who defended her two young children against an intruder, this bill will turn me into a criminal because you can bet that before I leave to do the people’s work, there will be more than seven bullets in the magazine of my wife’s firearm.”

tod evans
01-26-2013, 06:16 AM
NY Gun Registration Spawns Massive Civil Disobedience

Interpretation;

Lots of New Yorkers speak out against the proposed gun-grab...

dinosaur
01-26-2013, 08:57 AM
If enough people do it, they won't be able to jail them.

osan
01-26-2013, 09:02 AM

At this point, they may just start shooting them.

Acala
01-26-2013, 09:13 AM

Yup. And once that line is crossed - when the public sees a clear demonstration that tyranny folds up when the people stop fearing the rod - then everything is up for grabs. And I mean everything - taxes, drug prohibition, licensing - EVERYTHING. It is a monumentally stupid move for the aspiring tyrant to take too much too soon. That is how they end up against the wall.

Acala
01-26-2013, 09:14 AM
At this point, they may just start shooting them.

That would be a really big mistake.

BAllen
01-26-2013, 10:55 AM
Take a baseball bat and a letter opener to the police station. Tell them you're there to register you're assault weapons.

Confederate
01-26-2013, 11:06 AM
Take a baseball bat and a letter opener to the police station. Tell them you're there to register you're assault weapons.

And get arrested for taking weapons into a police station...

BAllen
01-26-2013, 11:07 AM
And get arrested for taking weapons into a police station...

So, you believe they're going to arrest people when they show up with their weapons?

erowe1
01-26-2013, 11:11 AM
failed to exempt police officers from the draconian restrictions

Huh? The fact that they didn't exempt police officers is the part about this that they're protesting? Bizarre.

Confederate
01-26-2013, 11:12 AM
So, you believe they're going to arrest people when they show up with their weapons?

People don't have to go the police station with their 'assault weapons' to register them:

To register, all you need to do is fill out a basic form. You do not need to appear in person or provide references or other information that is typically provided during the handgun licensing process.

http://www.governor.ny.gov/2013/gun-reforms-faq

osan
01-26-2013, 05:09 PM
People don't have to go the police station with their 'assault weapons' to register them:

Perhaps a vast campaign to register nonexistent weapons by people all over the world should go into effect when they post the forms.

:)

John of Des Moines
01-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Perhaps a vast campaign to register nonexistent weapons by people all over the world should go into effect when they post the forms.

:)

Then report them stolen.