PDA

View Full Version : U.S. homeland chief: cyber 9/11 could happen "imminently"

twomp
01-26-2013, 12:07 AM
The propaganda and media machine is at work again:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano warned on Thursday that a major cyber attack is a looming threat and could have the same sort of impact as last year's Superstorm Sandy, which knocked out electricity in a large swathe of the Northeast.

Napolitano said a "cyber 9/11" could happen "imminently" and that critical infrastructure - including water, electricity and gas - was very vulnerable to such a strike.

"We shouldn't wait until there is a 9/11 in the cyber world. There are things we can and should be doing right now that, if not prevent, would mitigate the extent of damage," said Napolitano, speaking at the Wilson Center think tank in Washington and referring to the September 11, 2001, attacks.

Napolitano runs the sprawling Homeland Security Department that was created 10 years ago in the aftermath of September 11 and charged with preventing another such event.

She urged Congress to pass legislation governing cyber security so the government could share information with the private sector to prevent an attack on infrastructure, much of which is privately owned.

hxxp://news.yahoo.com/u-homeland-chief-cyber-9-11-could-happen-215436518.html

Ranger29860
01-26-2013, 03:11 AM
I'm sorry I could have sworn 9/11 had what 3000 some odd dead? So what the fuck is the cyber equivalent of that?

Warrior_of_Freedom
01-26-2013, 03:35 AM
I'm sorry I could have sworn 9/11 had what 3000 some odd dead? So what the fuck is the cyber equivalent of that?
3000 facebook accounts deleted, digital deaths!

paulbot24
01-26-2013, 04:37 AM
No wonder she was just blathering about having good "internet hygiene" here (http://washingtonexaminer.com/janet-napolitano-internet-users-need-to-practice-good-cyber-hygiene/article/2519577). I knew she was up to something. Internet hygiene? She can kiss my virtual ass.

Occam's Banana
01-26-2013, 04:39 AM
Iran did it. Ooops. I mean, Iran is probably going to do it. (Sorry. Got a little ahead of the propaganda, there. My bad.)

tod evans
01-26-2013, 05:41 AM
It's my belief that government is exceeding its authority with their data gathering.

The revolution could never have taken place let alone succeeded if the king had been able to monitor the displeasure of his subjects.

All the hype over gun-grabs could very well be cover for the real enemy, "data-grab"..

In todays legal climate all that is needed to lock away someone is ones-n-zeros..

ClydeCoulter
01-26-2013, 06:24 AM
Why are utilities subject to anything that happens on the internet? (other than paying your bill online)

You can have an internal network that is completely immune to any internet activity by keeping it off the internet.

My shop computer is not connected to the internet and it still works and runs my CNC machine, I can model stuff on it, write programs that calculate materials lists and sizes, etc...without a bit of worry that a virus or spyware is going to crash it (unless some sneaky french spy gets into my shop physically with a CD and loads one on it).

pcosmar
01-26-2013, 06:34 AM
Iran did it. Ooops. I mean, Iran is probably going to do it. (Sorry. Got a little ahead of the propaganda, there. My bad.)

More like something created to attack Iran got loose.
2 that we know of already have.

pcosmar
01-26-2013, 06:38 AM
Why are utilities subject to anything that happens on the internet? (other than paying your bill online)

Stuxnet was created to specifically target systems used in utilities.

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/c/computer_malware/stuxnet/index.html

SilentBull
01-26-2013, 06:51 AM
I said in a post a couple of weeks ago that the internet was next and that they would use cyber attacks. And so it begins.

FindLiberty
01-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Windows 8 my CNC machine.

paulbot24
01-26-2013, 09:08 AM
"Today we are facing the threat of imminent existential cyberattacks which threaten immediate and devastating catastrophic destruction to the security of our critical energy and utility infrastructures requiring emergency legislative action or we run the risk of dangerous cyberterrorists launching a massive campaign of cyberwarfare targeting existing vulnerabilities resulting in large-scale collapse of critical resource hubs in an attempt to not only undermine our national security but possibly destabilize the entire global economic system."

In other words, Janet wants more control of the internet.

ClydeCoulter
01-26-2013, 10:04 PM
"Today we are facing the threat of imminent existential cyberattacks which threaten immediate and devastating catastrophic destruction to the security of our critical energy and utility infrastructures requiring emergency legislative action or we run the risk of dangerous cyberterrorists launching a massive campaign of cyberwarfare targeting existing vulnerabilities resulting in large-scale collapse of critical resource hubs in an attempt to not only undermine our national security but possibly destabilize the entire global economic system."

Drats. The entire global economic system is dependent on the internet? Good thinking guys, good design and all that. Perhaps you should throw it in File 13 and start over.

Natural Citizen
01-26-2013, 10:25 PM

Meh. Probably the energy industry scared to death that information regarding alternative energy sources that stand a chance of getting in the way of the mob type infrastructure (http://www.napervillesmartmeterawareness.org/)monopoly we have now so they want to shot down those web sites.

Like...uhhh...say this one, for instance. http://peswiki.com/index.php/New_Energy_Congress

next thing you knw, science books themselves will become a matter of this old national se4curity gag they like to fall back on so often. And...as always...the people will love them for it.

Let me ask this. Does a smart meter transmit data then? Ahhhh. Hmm. See where this is going.

paulbot24
01-26-2013, 10:43 PM
Actually I just made up the top part because they always make everything sound like we are on the brink of oblivion. She'll probably get her wish and get her EO from Obama when you consider all the "interesting" things happening on intrawebz right now.

angelatc
01-26-2013, 10:51 PM
3000 facebook accounts deleted, digital deaths!

I was afraid my wartunes toon was in danger. thanks for clearing that up for me.