PDA

View Full Version : Hotair: Rand Paul differentiates foreign policy from his father’s brand

Pages : [1] 2

Agorism
01-25-2013, 08:21 PM
http://hotair.com/archives/2013/01/25/an-attack-on-israel-is-an-attack-on-the-us-says-rand-paul

Allahpundit wrote Wednesday that Rand Paul is working hard to differentiate from his father’s brand, but … wow. Breitbart’s Ben Shapiro asked Paul the Younger about aid to Israel, which Paul says he’d like to eliminate only after eliminating all foreign aid — and that the effort should start with nations where the people “burn the American flag,” and perhaps Israel last. If President, Paul pledges to send a message that American troops will intervene on Israel’s behalf if attacked, regardless of aid decisions, using the NATO formulation:

Kentucky Republican Sen. Rand Paul took what very well could be considered his most pro-Israel stance yet, saying in an interview that an attack on Israel should be treated as an attack on the United States.

Asked whether the United States would stand with Israel and provide it foreign aid if the Jewish state were attacked by its enemies, Paul went a step further.

“Well absolutely we stand with Israel,” he said in an interview with Breitbart News, “but what I think we should do is announce to the world – and I think it is pretty well known — that any attack on Israel will be treated as an attack on the United States.”

Can you imagine Paul the Elder ever saying, “An attack on Israel is an attack on the US”? I doubt he’d even say that about NATO countries.

Needless to say, this will go a long way with Republicans and conservatives to put their trust in Paul the Younger’s judgment. What, though, will it do for hopes that Rand Paul could create a fusion between traditional Republicanism and the more rational elements of Ron Paul’s followers? It’s one thing to establish a separate brand from his father, but this looks more like repudiation — and the Ron Paul Revolution will almost certainly feel the same way.

LibertyEagle
01-25-2013, 08:22 PM
It's hotair. They WANT to drive a wedge. And you're helping.

pcosmar
01-25-2013, 08:27 PM

Nope,, I detest HotAir.

and I am not the only one here that already had that reaction based on nothing but Rand's own words.

Agorism
01-25-2013, 08:29 PM

No they were just explaining Rand's agenda.

BSWPaulsen
01-25-2013, 08:38 PM
Ugh. This is the last thing I wanted to see from our '16 hope.

Treating Israel as a surrogate state of the USA only serves to further compound our regional problems. Stupid.

LibertyEagle
01-25-2013, 08:39 PM
Nope,, I detest HotAir.

and I am not the only one here that already had that reaction based on nothing but Rand's own words.

So? To me that means that those people are not listening to what Rand has said and done any better than you have.

fisharmor
01-25-2013, 08:43 PM

No, you're not.
The wedge has been getting driven for years now. Things calm down for a month or two, and then BAM someone swings the sledge and that wedge gets driven a little bit deeper.

And every time I look up to see who's swinging I find out, every single time, that it's RAND FUCKING PAUL.

Agorism
01-25-2013, 08:43 PM

Treating Israel as a surrogate state of the USA only serves to further compound our regional problems. Stupid.

Getting into entangling alliances are the kind of thing that has promoted terrorist attacks on the USA in the past.

itshappening
01-25-2013, 08:45 PM
Look at the comments, this is exactly the kind of people Rand is aiming them at and it's working.

They're impressed...

This is all part of Rand's strategy, it's a fine line but many of us support him in this venture and I think he knows that.

Brett85
01-25-2013, 08:47 PM
I've been as big of a Rand supporter as anyone, and he hasn't lost my support. But, I don't think he's doing a very good job of reaching out to the liberty movement at the moment. I think he's so concerned about winning over rank and file Republicans and pro Israel people that he's forgetting that his father's supporters aren't going to just automatically support him no matter what. He's going to run the risk of alienating a large chunk of Ron's supporters and make it hard for himself to raise money when/if he runs in 2016.

itshappening
01-25-2013, 08:49 PM
I've been as big of a Rand supporter as anyone, and he hasn't lost my support. But, I don't think he's doing a very good job of reaching out to the liberty movement at the moment. I think he's so concerned about winning over rank and file Republicans and pro Israel people that he's forgetting that his father's supporters aren't going to just automatically support him no matter what. He's going to run the risk of alienating a large chunk of Ron's supporters and make it hard for himself to raise money when/if he runs in 2016.

I dont think he will as he does enough to keep his 'base' support while reaching out.

To those who pay attention anyway.

If you look at his stands on civil liberties and there will be plenty more.

I think he can pull it off and bring in a lot of new people.

Look at his facebook, 500k followers. That will be at Ron's 1 million+ by the time he announces.

Can you imagine the moneybombs and the funds he could raise with all these new fans and hopefully most of those who have followed him for years (and trust him)

Brett85
01-25-2013, 08:53 PM

Yeah, but unfortunately I care more about foreign policy issues than I do about civil liberties. The reason why I supported Ron back in 2007 and 2008 was because of his opposition to the Iraq War. Ron's foreign policy views were the reason why many conservatives hated him, but it was the primary reason why I supported him over the other candidates running for President. I don't want Rand to move too far away from Ron's foreign policy views.

twomp
01-25-2013, 08:58 PM
Rand Paul is NOT Ron Paul and we shouldn't think the two are the same. There are those who care more about civil liberties then Foreign Policy and those people will continue to support Rand Paul but I think it would be foolish to think that he has all of our support unconditionally. He is basically trading in those who admire Ron Paul's foreign policy to pick up the votes of the neo-cons.

Some people will like it and view this as another way to "win over the Republicans." Some people will hate it and view this as another Rand Paul slide towards neo-conservatism. I personally think that if Rand Paul is talking like this now, I shutter at how much more of a neo-con he will become when 2016 rolls around.

itshappening
01-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Yeah, but unfortunately I care more about foreign policy issues than I do about civil liberties. The reason why I supported Ron back in 2007 and 2008 was because of his opposition to the Iraq War. Ron's foreign policy views were the reason why many conservatives hated him, but it was the primary reason why I supported him over the other candidates running for President. I don't want Rand to move too far away from Ron's foreign policy views.

Rand on the last foreign adventure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLY19PnY2m8

twomp
01-25-2013, 09:00 PM

That was over 1 year ago. Rand Paul has now visited Israel and "seen the light."

Dystopian
01-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Its become laughable at this point.

http://www.jewishproblem.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/smeagol-gollum-jew.jpg

Agorism
01-25-2013, 09:03 PM
I dont think he will as he does enough to keep his 'base' support while reaching out.

To those who pay attention anyway.

I think he can pull it off and bring in a lot of new people.

Look at his facebook, 500k followers. That will be at Ron's 1 million+ by the time he announces.

Can you imagine the moneybombs and the funds he could raise with all these new fans and hopefully most of those who have followed him for years (and trust him)

Ya he might be able to that...in the primary.

And he shouldn't complain once there are better independent candidates running in the general election who cost him the election because he squandered his father's libertarian base (which is has already done btw.) Mission accomplished Rand.

Brett85
01-25-2013, 09:03 PM

Yeah, he's still probably the best we have in the Senate on foreign policy issues, but that's not saying much. I would simply like for him to be more specific. He's basically said that he would close down some foreign military bases as President. Well, that could mean that he would close down 2 foreign military bases, or he could close down 800 and leave 100. What does he think our presence in the world should actually be? I'd like him to explain that. And no, I don't believe he needs to keep his views on that a secret in order to "slide under the radar."

klamath
01-25-2013, 09:07 PM
It does give me pause and I hope Rand doesn't expand his base appeal right into the typical republican stance on the middle east. It will be sad because that will be two Pauls that have let me down. I wouldn't vote for Ron anymore after watching his last two campaigns.

itshappening
01-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Ya he might be able to that...in the primary.

And he shouldn't complain once there are better independent candidates running in the general election who cost him the election because he squandered his father's libertarian base (which is has already done btw.) Mission accomplished Rand.

I don't think he has and any libertarian who votes LP in the general because they don't like Rand trying to broaden their appeal are idiots on a par with the LP voters in Justin Amash's district.

twomp
01-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Anyone else get the feeling the Ron Paul rEVOLution is about to get co-opted? They did it to the Goldwater movement. They did it to the evangelicals. They did it to the Tea-Party. The formula is always the same. They let you think you can "take over" the GOP. Then next thing you know, it's more of the same. It's been going on for quite some time now....

sailingaway
01-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Anyone else get the feeling the Ron Paul rEVOLution is about to get co-opted? They did it to the Goldwater movement. They did it to the evangelicals. They did it to the Tea-Party. The formula is always the same. They let you think you can "take over" the GOP. Then next thing you know, it's more of the same. It's been going on for quite some time now....

Isn't that up to us each as individuals?

I don't feel coopted.

twomp
01-25-2013, 09:14 PM
I don't think he has and any libertarian who votes LP in the general because they don't like Rand trying to broaden their appeal are idiots on a par with the LP voters in Justin Amash's district.

Sorry broadening your appeal does not = becoming a neo-con. There's a line. If a Rand Paul presidency means he backs Israel no matter how they treat their neighbors then nothing changes. There will be no difference between Bush/Obama. This love affair with Israel has caused us loss of money and loss of life.

itshappening
01-25-2013, 09:15 PM
Yeah, he's still probably the best we have in the Senate on foreign policy issues, but that's not saying much. I would simply like for him to be more specific. He's basically said that he would close down some foreign military bases as President. Well, that could mean that he would close down 2 foreign military bases, or he could close down 800 and leave 100. What does he think our presence in the world should actually be? I'd like him to explain that. And no, I don't believe he needs to keep his views on that a secret in order to "slide under the radar."

I dont think he needs to come out and be specific about that, the point of the media operation is to come out and appeal to broader base of typical GOP voters.

He should not do anything to wreck that by scaring them about how many bases he's going to close if he's ever Commander in Chief, my guess is he would close a lot but we'd never know until he's Commander in Chief and orders the necessary Pentagon review with the view to significant cuts. I would hope he would end all the subsidies to Boeing, Lockheed Martin and Raytheon too but we never know, do we ? we just have to trust his broader limited govt philosophy because he's never going to come out and say it

Ron would but he couldn't win a GOP primary

itshappening
01-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Sorry broadening your appeal does not = becoming a neo-con. There's a line. If a Rand Paul presidency means he backs Israel no matter how they treat their neighbors then nothing changes. There will be no difference between Bush/Obama. This love affair with Israel has caused us loss of money and loss of life.

Rand is not a neocon though, expressing fidelity to Israel does not make you a neocon. Demanding pre-emptive war with Iran and a number of other countries does. There's a difference.

twomp
01-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Isn't that up to us each as individuals?

I don't feel coopted.

It depends now doesn't it. If you decide to vote Rand Paul for president in 2016 because he's "the best we have" or he's "the lesser of two evils." Doesn't that mean the establishment has successfully achieved it's goal? If a President Rand Paul allows Israel to continue to bully it's neighbors with USA protection. Then the hatred towards our country and the necessary "War on Terror" remains does it not?

twomp
01-25-2013, 09:18 PM
Rand is not a neocon though, expressing fidelity to Israel does not make you a neocon. Demanding pre-emptive war with Iran and umpteen other countries does. There's a difference.

What difference is it if Israel demands per-emptive war and President Rand Paul declares anyone who attacks back will have to face the might of the USA military?

pcosmar
01-25-2013, 09:19 PM
So? To me that means that those people are not listening to what Rand has said and done any better than you have.

He said.
"an attack on Israel is an attack of the US"

Fuck that, and him.

That is Traitorous.
Israel is instigating shit all on their own and should have been cut off long ago.

Brett85
01-25-2013, 09:19 PM
I dont think he needs to come out and be specific about that, the point of the media operation is to come out and appeal to broader base of typical GOP voters.

He should not do anything to wreck that by scaring them about how many bases he's going to close if he's ever Commander in Chief, my guess is he would close a lot but we'd never know until he's Commander in Chief and orders the necessary Pentagon review with the view to significant cuts. I would hope he would end all the subsidies to Boeing, Lockheed Martin and Raytheon too but we never know, do we ? we just have to trust his broader limited govt philosophy because he's never going to come out and say it

Ron would but he couldn't win a GOP primary

Well, then he shouldn't necessarily expect to receive a lot of support and money from Ron Paul supporters if he won't advocate anything close to the foreign policy that Ron Paul supports.

dinosaur
01-25-2013, 09:22 PM
It does give me pause and I hope Rand doesn't expand his base appeal right into the typical republican stance on the middle east. It will be sad because that will be two Pauls that have let me down. I wouldn't vote for Ron anymore after watching his last two campaigns.

There is no way he is going to morph into an interventionist. If he does, I will no longer support him. But so far, all I've seen from Rand, is Rand using their own rhetoric and re-defining it. It is actually very clever of him to use their own rhetoric against them...and to give it an honest meaning. For example, supporting Israel now means that we support ther right to be independent of the US and to defend themselves. It also now means that we shouldn't undermine their efforts to protect themselves by occupying, arming, and training their enemies in the middle east. When the neocons say that they support Israel, they are really saying that they support the endless stupid wars in the middle east that benefit neither Amercia, nor Great Britain, nor Israel...but that is not Rand's definition of supporting Israel. When neocons say that we must defend Israel, what they really mean is that we should attack Iran to finish the bankster wars...not Rand's definition either.

Brett85
01-25-2013, 09:22 PM
And Ron couldn't win a GOP primary because he took things to an extreme, opposing the raid that killed Osama Bin Laden and so forth. Closing down foreign military bases is not extreme. A large number of conservatives agree with that now. I don't see any reason why Rand can't advocate bringing our troops home from countries like Germany and Japan. I don't think the average American has any clue why we still have troops in those countries 70 years after the end of WWII.

LibertyEagle
01-25-2013, 09:24 PM

Before he could do that, he would have to make sure he fully explained how our nation would still be defended without some of the bases we have now. Back when, we needed some of those for refueling purposes, to name one thing. Ron didn't do this and it hurt him badly. Things like this and tossing out quips like getting rid of the CIA, without further explanation came back to bite Ron in the ass.

I hope to God that Rand does not repeat Ron's mistakes, or his chances of turning any of the crap back via government will be sunk.

sailingaway
It depends now doesn't it. If you decide to vote Rand Paul for president in 2016 because he's "the best we have" or he's "the lesser of two evils." Doesn't that mean the establishment has successfully achieved it's goal? If a President Rand Paul allows Israel to continue to bully it's neighbors with USA protection. Then the hatred towards our country and the necessary "War on Terror" remains does it not?

The R3VOLution ongoing doesn't require absolute victory in 2016, and if none of the candidates would offer that, it won't be possible. WHat it requires, imho, is bringing more and more people into the R3VOLution proper that ultimately victory of our principles is inevitable. My vote in 2016, which will be as good as I can make it, according to my lights, at that time, doesn't say whether the Ron Paul R3VOLution has been coopted. It is only if I am deluded into believing less than good is good enough that I stop fighting for more, that it has been coopted.

itshappening
What difference is it if Israel demands per-emptive war and President Rand Paul declares anyone who attacks back will have to face the might of the USA military?

You have no idea what he will do as president.

Bush said he would run a humble foreign policy and not be a policeman of the world.

Look how that turned out.

If Rand does that in reverse, then you'll be pleased.

klamath
01-25-2013, 09:26 PM
There is no way he is going to morph into an interventionist. If he does, I will no longer support him. But so far, all I've seen from Rand, is Rand using their own rhetoric and re-defining it. It is actually very clever of him to use their own rhetoric against them...and to give it an honest meaning. For example, supporting Israel now means that we support ther right to be independent of the US and to defend themselves. It also now means that we shouldn't undermine their efforts to protect themselves by occupying, arming, and training their enemies in the middle east. When the neocons say that they support Israel, they are really saying that they support the endless stupid wars in the middle east that benefit neither Amercia, nor Great Britain, nor Israel...but that is not Rand's definition of supporting Israel. When neocons say that we must defend Israel, what they really mean is that we should attack Iran to finish the bankster wars...not Rand's definition either.well I will be watching.

sailingaway
01-25-2013, 09:27 PM

Bush said he would run a humble foreign policy and not be a policeman of the world.

I would seriously rather have someone I could trust to do what they said they would.

dinosaur
The R3VOLution ongoing doesn't require absolute victory in 2016, and if none of the candidates would offer that, it won't be possible. WHat it requires, imho, is bringing more and more people into the R3VOLution proper that ultimately victory of our principles is inevitable. My vote in 2016, which will be as good as I can make it, according to my lights, at that time, doesn't say whether the Ron Paul R3VOLution has been coopted. It is only if I am deluded into believing less than good is good enough that I stop fighting for more, that it has been coopted.

Very true.

twomp

Yes! I would be very pleased if he did that. And yes I don't have any idea what he would do but as of right now, I am not too confident based on what he's been saying.

itshappening
Well, then he shouldn't necessarily expect to receive a lot of support and money from Ron Paul supporters if he won't advocate anything close to the foreign policy that Ron Paul supports.

He will receive a lot of money from former Ron Paul backers and a lot of money from the new fans too who by the way are more older and wealthier.

He should do fine in terms of raising money. I certainly expect him to. I have no idea what he expects. Ron never expected 6 million in one day but he got it. I expect Rand could do better.

Brett85
Before he could do that, he would have to make sure he fully explained how our nation would still be defended without some of the bases we have now. Back when, we needed some of those for refueling purposes, to name one thing. Ron didn't do this and it hurt him badly. Things like this and tossing out quips like getting rid of the CIA, without further explanation came back to bite Ron in the ass.

I hope to God that Rand does not repeat Ron's mistakes, or his chances of turning any of the crap back via government will be sunk.

I agree. He should outline a specific policy that shows that he supports a strong national defense. We could close down foreign military bases overseas and build them along the Mexico border, for example. But, no one is ever going to convince me that foreign military bases have anything to do with legitimate defense.

twomp
01-25-2013, 09:28 PM

okay, I guess I'm explaining it wrong. I am not saying YOU will be co-opted personally SA. I'm saying they would use our message to get votes and continue down the same path they are currently on. And when i say "they", I mean the establishment in general.

LibertyEagle
01-25-2013, 09:29 PM
He said.

Fuck that, and him.

That is Traitorous.
Israel is instigating shit all on their own and should have been cut off long ago.

NO ONE IS GOING TO ATTACK IRAN!!

And he has said numerous times that the goal is to end ALL FOREIGN AID.

You just want him to say it the way that you want it said. That's all.

itshappening
01-25-2013, 09:29 PM
I would seriously rather have someone I could trust to do what they said they would.

politicians never do what they say.

However I do have a belief Rand is incorruptible and has a consistent philosophy that he would apply if he ever was president some day.

klamath
01-25-2013, 09:30 PM

So true. So sadly true. Ron sadly painted himself as very ignorant on national defense.

LibertyEagle
01-25-2013, 09:30 PM
Damn, guys. You expect Rand to have done every damn thing in the world. Ron damn sure didn't. Not in just a couple of years, he didn't, and those things he proposed, FAILED BIG TIME.

Give him a frickin' chance, will ya, before stabbing him in the back.

sailingaway
01-25-2013, 09:31 PM
okay, I guess I'm explaining it wrong. I am not saying YOU will be co-opted personally SA. I'm saying they would use our message to get votes and continue down the same path they are currently on. And when i say "they", I mean the establishment in general.

I am absolutely certain they will try to do that. They tried this last time. Gingrich against the FEd? Perry? Romney -sorta? Glen Beck with a 'Libertarian News Network'?

I think you can count on it.

Don't get attached to labels, would be my advice - to myself at minimum.

seyferjm
01-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Kudos to AntiFederalist for commenting on Hot Air.

itshappening
01-25-2013, 09:33 PM
I agree. He should outline a specific policy that shows that he supports a strong national defense. We could close down foreign military bases overseas and build them along the Mexico border, for example. But, no one is ever going to convince me that foreign military bases have anything to do with legitimate defense.

In any logical budget calculation those foreign bases would be closed down and I forsee them having to close sooner or later with or without Rand Paul as commander in chief.

Like Ron Paul says himself, empires always die because of financial problems associated with expansionary policies see British empire for the last example in history.

Brett85
01-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Kudos to AntiFederalist for commenting on Hot Air.

Ha. Is that really the same Anti Federalist who posts here?

itshappening
01-25-2013, 09:36 PM
I wish the AF / Ron Paul guy wouldn't argue with them and let them enjoy and celebrate their new found love for Rand Paul.

Agorism
01-25-2013, 09:38 PM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/vance/vance17.html

"Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations — entangling alliances with none." ~ Thomas Jefferson

http://www.lewrockwell.com/vance/jefferson.jpg

itshappening
01-25-2013, 09:40 PM

"Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations — entangling alliances with none." ~ Thomas Jefferson

http://www.lewrockwell.com/vance/jefferson.jpg

I think Rand would be a very peaceful president

klamath
01-25-2013, 09:40 PM

http://www.lewrockwell.com/vance/jefferson.jpg except for undeclared wars in libya.......

pcosmar
01-25-2013, 09:41 PM

I said nothing about Iran.

He said an attack on Israel is an attack on the US.

WRONG> An attack on Israel is an attack on Israel,, and is none of our business.

Israel WILL BE Attacked. They are insuring that.

The Bible (many prophets) have said that. The Anti-Christ will rule from Jerusalem.
And Christians are putting him in power there by their ignorance. (they should be hindering/delaying it).
Following false teachers,, they are being misled and used.

Iran will likely be the the start of the cataclysm. But the entire region will be involved.

I can not support anyone that backs the Zionist agenda.

Agorism
01-25-2013, 09:45 PM
I think Rand would be a very peaceful president

Wonder what his Gitmo subjects will think about all that.

twomp
01-25-2013, 09:47 PM
LOL its the entire Hot Air crowd vs. AF on there. Go AF! My money is on you!

Brett85

There's no war occurring at Gitmo, and Rand ultimately wants to close the prison down.

thequietkid10

The problem is, is that Israel is our surrogate state. And nobody, especially from the right, who doesn't acknowledge this, is going to get nominated. At some point, a political movement needs people in office in order to be successful.

I've been putting a lot of thought into foreign policy, and I've come to the conclusion that whoever is elected President, is not working in a vacuum here.

In order for a libertarian foreign policy in this country to be politically feasible, Iran must stop with the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) suggestions that Israel drop off the face of the Earth, or at the very least move to Europe. That is not going to happen without an event that reminds people of
A. World War III.
or
B. The Holocaust

Yes there are lots of factors which lead to Iran's current state which can be blamed on the US, but the fact remains, that Iran is state ruled by religious fundamentalism.

I guess in summary, IF (big if) Iran see's a Ron Paul style foreign policy as an open invitation to try and remove Israel, then that decision will relegate President Paul to a place in history alongside John Tyler, and it would be the end of the liberty movement as we know it.

itshappening

He said an attack on Israel is an attack on the US.

WRONG> An attack on Israel is an attack on Israel,, and is none of our business.

Israel WILL BE Attacked. They are insuring that.

The Bible (many prophets) have said that. The Anti-Christ will rule from Jerusalem.
And Christians are putting him in power there by their ignorance. (they should be hindering/delaying it).
Following false teachers,, they are being misled and used.

Iran will likely be the the start of the cataclysm. But the entire region will be involved.

I can not support anyone that backs the Zionist agenda.

I dont think Israel are ensuring they will be attacked.

Israel has a certain amount of self-interest in not being attacked, like seeing Jewish people killed and their economy wrecked.

They might sound belligerent at times but I bet you they'd do everything to avoid confrontation.

LibertyEagle

I dunno, why don't you check out HuffPo, or one of your other favorite lefty sites and see what they think.

Antischism
01-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Ron Paul's foreign policy is the major reason why I got involved in the liberty movement. If Rand Paul is going to stray from that, I'll have a very difficult time supporting him.

sailingaway
01-25-2013, 09:48 PM
The problem is, is that Israel is our surrogate state.

I have a hard time getting beyond this in your post.

No it isn't. Israel is Israel. We are us.

Brett85
01-25-2013, 09:49 PM
I never expected Rand to say that he wouldn't support helping out Israel if they got attacked. But, the way he said it was very surprising. He usually expresses his views in a much more calculated and nuanced way.

LibertyEagle
01-25-2013, 09:50 PM

I meant Israel.

itshappening
01-25-2013, 09:51 PM
There's no war occurring at Gitmo, and Rand ultimately wants to close the prison down.

Congress won't let him close it down though as Obama is finding out.

A lot of times if Rand were president he would be hampered by a bought off Congress sworn to stop him from shrinking government.

Agorism
edit

For Immediate Release
November 19, 2009

BOWLING GREEN, KENTUCKY – Leading United States Senate candidate Rand Paul today criticized the Obama administration’s decision to close the Guantanamo Bay detention center and try terrorism suspects in United States Civil Courts.

"Foreign terrorists do not deserve the protections of our Constitution," said Dr. Paul. "These thugs should stand before military tribunals and be kept off American soil. I will always fight to keep Kentucky safe and that starts with cracking down on our enemies."

twomp
In order for a libertarian foreign policy in this country to be politically feasible, Iran must stop with the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) suggestions that Israel drop off the face of the Earth, or at the very least move to Europe.

Iran has not said that. You are regurgitating the media spin. The effectively said they want a regime change. Remove the people in power not the Israelis themselves.

seyferjm
01-25-2013, 09:52 PM
The biggest issue I have with his statement is that he basically is saying that we will do anything to defend Israel, even if they get attacked in a way that can be considered blowback for their own actions. If they do any provoking, they alone should deal with the consequences.

Brett85
01-25-2013, 09:55 PM
Rand has said that he doesn't support closing down Gitmo and importing terrorists into the United States, but he does support trying the prisoners at Gitmo in military tribunals immediately and then closing down the prison as soon as those military tribunals have concluded.

twomp
01-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Rand has said that he doesn't support closing down Gitmo and importing terrorists into the United States, but he does support trying the prisoners at Gitmo in military tribunals immediately and then closing down the prison as soon as those military tribunals have concluded.

And what happens if these tribunals find them guilty? How do they get imprisoned without being imported into the United States AND closing down Gitmo?

Brett85
01-25-2013, 09:57 PM
The biggest issue I have with his statement is that he basically is saying that we will do anything to defend Israel, even if they get attacked in a way that can be considered blowback for their own actions. If they do any provoking, they alone should deal with the consequences.

That was exactly my problem with what he said as well. I could possibly support helping out Israel if they were attacked in an unprovoked way and asked us for our help. But, I don't believe that we should help out Israel if they bomb Iran, and then Iran bombs or invades Israel as a result of Israel's attack.

klamath
01-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Rand has said that he doesn't support closing down Gitmo and importing terrorists into the United States, but he does support trying the prisoners at Gitmo in military tribunals immediately and then closing down the prison as soon as those military tribunals have concluded.And this I totally agree with rand and disagree with Ron.

Brett85
And what happens if these tribunals find them guilty? How do they get imprisoned without being imported into the United States AND closing down Gitmo?

They could just receive the death penalty like Saddam Hussein did. Then you wouldn't have to worry about holding them in any prison.

itshappening

But what are the Israeli's doing? they're not like the US government carrying out foreign adventures, they have enough problems with the West bank and Gaza.

The only way Israel gets attacked by another country is if some dictator comes to power and deliberately seeks a confrontation.

Now if this happened on Rand's watch, would he go to congress and ask for authorization to help them? I think he's saying he will.

I dont think this is selling out or anything, it's just a position he's adopted and the chances of it happening are probably less than 1%.

It would be like me saying if I were president and switzerland was under attack I'd want to help them. I like the swiss people and the history and culture and think they should remain independent.

Agorism
01-25-2013, 09:59 PM
He said.

Fuck that, and him.

That is Traitorous.

We're all Zionists now.

pcosmar
They might sound belligerent at times but I bet you they'd do everything to avoid confrontation.

Bullshit.
USS Liberty
Lavon Affair
King David Hotel
They have been instigating trouble since the 1800s. including numerous Terrorist acts.
The friggin Nazis helped colonize the place . Zionism is National Socialism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0haybEo-Tx4

Brett85
And this I totally agree with rand and disagree with Ron.

Me too, although I'm still closer to Ron overall on foreign policy issues than I am to Rand.

twomp
01-25-2013, 10:01 PM
But what are the Israeli's doing? they're not like the US government carrying out foreign adventures, they have enough problems with the West bank and Gaza.

The only way Israel gets attacked by another country is if some dictator comes to power and deliberately seeks a confrontation.

Now if this happened on Rand's watch, would he go to congress and ask for authorization to help them? I think he's saying he will.

I dont think this is selling out or anything, it's just a position he's adopted and the chances of it happening are probably less than 1%.

It would be me like saying if I were president and switzerland was under attack I'd want to help them. I like the swiss people and the history and culture and think they should remain independent.

They've already bombed Syria's nuclear facilities. They are considering doing the same to Iran's. You really don't think they'd do that?

twomp
01-25-2013, 10:04 PM
Congress won't let him close it down though as Obama is finding out.

A lot of times if Rand were president he would be hampered by a bought off Congress sworn to stop him from shrinking government.

So what you're saying is Obama has the power to rain missiles on other countries without Congressional approval but not the ability to shut down a base on foreign soil? You ever consider Obama is LYING and doesn't want to shut down Gitmo?

itshappening
01-25-2013, 10:05 PM
That was exactly my problem with what he said as well. I could possibly support helping out Israel if they were attacked in an unprovoked way and asked us for our help. But, I don't believe that we should help out Israel if they bomb Iran, and then Iran bombs or invades Israel as a result of Israel's attack.

If you were president and Switzerland was invaded by a country with a dictator hell bent on stealing all its gold and enslaving its population and the president of Switzerland pleads with you to help by sending in troops from nearby bases in Germany, would you put the phone down on him and say 'sorry, I can't help your people despite us being friends for 230 years i'm a libertarian with an a non-intervenionist foreign policy' or would you go to congress and ask for authorization to send in those troops?

twomp
01-25-2013, 10:07 PM
If you were president and Switzerland was invaded by a country with a dictator hell bent on stealing all its gold and enslaving its population and the president of Switzerland pleads with you to help by sending in troops from nearby bases in Germany, would you put the phone down on him and say 'sorry, I can't help your people despite us being friends for 230 years i'm a libertarian with an a non-intervenionist foreign policy' or would you go to congress and ask for authorization to send in those troops?

I like how you changed the scenario from Israel (who is threatening other countries) to Switzerland (who isn't threatening anyone). Please continue to spin stuff.

itshappening
01-25-2013, 10:09 PM
I like how you changed the scenario from Israel (who is threatening other countries) to Switzerland (who isn't threatening anyone). Please continue to spin stuff.

There's a lot of threats and bluster in international politics.

North Korea says they will annihilate the USA nearly every day and are currently testing nuclear weapons.

Are you more worried about them or Israel attacking someone?

Brett85
01-25-2013, 10:10 PM

I said that I would likely support helping out Israel if they were attacked in an unprovoked way, but not if they provoked the attack. In your analogy, I would not support helping out Switzerland militarily if they actually provoked the attack.

twomp
01-25-2013, 10:13 PM

North Korea says they will annihilate the USA nearly every day and are currently testing nuclear weapons.

Well if North Korea is threatening to attack the USA, then I would be more worried about them because the USA is where I live you see. If Israel is threatening to bomb Iran, I don't see how that is of any issue to me. Isn't that kind of obvious?

itshappening
01-25-2013, 10:14 PM
I said that I would likely support helping out Israel if they were attacked in an unprovoked way, but not if they provoked the attack. In your analogy, I would not support helping out Switzerland militarily if they actually provoked the attack.

So what if our hypothetical dictator came to power in a nearby border state to Switzerland and was amassing the troops ready for the invasion along with missile launchers and Switzerland's spies detected this activity and came to the conclusion that they were under threat and therefore carried out an operation which wasn't completely successful and our dictator regrouped and sent in his troops, would you support them then or would you have determined they made a provocative move in their initial strike?

american.swan
Wait a moment.

Paul goes to Israel explaining his hands off libertarian approach to the Middle East. He explains his dislike for sending arms to Egypt and Israel and other nations. (upsetting the Military Industrial Complex). He then continues to request the end of all foreign aid, even to Israel. (Mind our own business and we're broke)

Paul then drills Kerry in a congressional hearing on Presidential power to start wars. (follow the constitution)

Now he says to defend Israel. How? He doesn't want to support an arms race in the region. He doesn't want the president starting wars.

Without a declaration of war from Congress, Paul wouldn't defend Israel. Also, I suspect Paul would go in and get out. None of this nation building trash.

I want to remind you there was a three president plan to fix the US. Jackson, the second, ended the bank. The third didn't win. I say that because it will take more than one president to fix this mess.

twomp

I also fairly certain that if Tradtional Conservative were President, he wouldn't have many troops in nearby Germany to help out Switzerland anyways.

twomp
01-25-2013, 10:16 PM
So what if our hypothetical dictator came to power in a nearby border state to Switzerland and was amassing the troops ready for the invasion along with missile launchers and Switzerland's spies detected this activity and came to the conclusion that they were under threat and therefore carried out an operation which wasn't completely successful and our dictator regrouped and sent in his troops, would you support them then or would you have determined they made a provocative move in their initial strike?

Where in this fantasy scenario of yours is Germany, France, Britain, Spain... Have they all been wiped off the map already too? WHY ARE WE THE ONLY ONES WHO CAN HELP OUT!!

american.swan
01-25-2013, 10:17 PM
Right now we don't have a plan. Imagine Rand wins. How much would he be able to do before he's out? Who continues the revolution in the White House? We haven't got a plan.

Brett85
01-25-2013, 10:18 PM

There's a difference between using military action to respond to an imminent threat and using military action the way that Israel is threatening to, which is to simply prevent Iran from aquiring one nuclear weapon. I'm not opposed to allowing Israel to do what it feels is necessary to defend itself, but I don't believe we should get involved in that kind of situation. But in the analogy you presented, I wouldn't consider what Switzerland did to be an unprovoked attack. That would just be an example of self defense.

itshappening
01-25-2013, 10:18 PM
Where in this fantasy scenario of yours is Germany, France, Britain, Spain... Have they all been wiped off the map already too? WHY ARE WE THE ONLY ONES WHO CAN HELP OUT!!

The Swiss president decides to call TC first and ask for help believing that because he has the strongest military in the world he could help out in repelling the invasion and stopping the slaughter of his citizens.

trey4sports
01-25-2013, 10:19 PM
ughh, why would he say that an attack on Israel is an attack on the united states? That's just disgusting.

itshappening
01-25-2013, 10:21 PM
There's a difference between using military action to respond to an imminent threat and using military action the way that Israel is threatening to, which is to simply prevent Iran from aquiring one nuclear weapon. I'm not opposed to allowing Israel to do what it feels is necessary to defend itself, but I don't believe we should get involved in that kind of situation. But in the analogy you presented, I wouldn't consider what Switzerland did to be an unprovoked attack. That would just be an example of self defense.

So are we basing policy on listening out for threats now?

Are you concerned by North Korea's near daily propaganda in which it promises to annihilate the USA?

twomp
01-25-2013, 10:22 PM
The Swiss president decides to call TC first and ask for help believing that because he has the strongest military in the world he could help out in repelling the invasion and stopping the slaughter of his citizens.

Well if he decides to help out the innocent citizens in OTHER countries. I hope he helps out the unemployed and poor citizens of THIS COUNTRY first. You know give them universal health care and unemployment benefits and such. I mean since we are handing out stuff why not give it to your people first?

Brett85
01-25-2013, 10:23 PM
So are we basing policy on listening out for threats now?

Are you concerned by North Korea's near daily propaganda in which it promises to annihilate the USA?

That's a problem, but there are ways to respond to threats without invading a country that poses a threat to us. We can enhance our defenses at home, such as funding a missile defense program that could shoot down any missile that North Korea launches at us.

RP Supporter
01-25-2013, 11:51 PM
Yay, Rand's winning over people who don't have a nice word to say about his father, the person who got me (and surely many others) into the liberty movement. Not to mention the man who helped form the movement that Rand got elected on the back of. I mean seriously, read the comments. Smug dislike of Ron and support for MORE wars, MORE saber rattling. And a glee that Rand seems to be straying from his "nutty" father.

I'm sorry, but if the only way Rand Paul can get elected is by pandering to these types and pretending that he's one of them, I really fail to see the difference between him and say, Mitt on this. I don't believe either hypothetical president would go to war with Iran, but neither are they interested in changing the conversation to reflect a non interventionist viewpoint.

I like Rand. I have been backing him through most of these controversies. I understand that part of the game is making the people think you're one of them. But I'd like to see him defend his father's vision a little more, instead of constantly sounding like a hawk who considers Israel's interests to be in our interests. By constantly sounding like them, non interventionism makes no headway and remains outside of the mainstream, and the neocons and the like can claim Rand as one of their own.

itshappening
01-26-2013, 12:05 AM
Yay, Rand's winning over people who don't have a nice word to say about his father, the person who got me (and surely many others) into the liberty movement. Not to mention the man who helped form the movement that Rand got elected on the back of. I mean seriously, read the comments. Smug dislike of rand and support for MORE wars, MORE saber rattling. And a glee that Rand seems to be straying from his "nutty" father.

I'm sorry, but if the only way Rand Paul can get elected is by pandering to these types and pretending that he's one of them, I really fail to see the difference between him and say, Mitt on this. I don't believe either hypothetical president would go to war with Iran, but neither are they interested in changing the conversation to reflect a non interventionist viewpoint.

I like Rand. I have been backing him through most of these controversies. I understand that part of the game is making the people think you're one of them. But I'd like to see him defend his father's vision a little more, instead of constantly sounding like a hawk who considers Israel's interests to be in our interests. By constantly sounding like them, non interventionism makes no headway and remains outside of the mainstream, and the neocons and the like can claim Rand as one of their own.

Unfortunately this is the only way he gets elected, pandering to the more hawkish elements in the GOP. The ones who chant USA, USA, USA and want their candidate to sound tough. If Rand doesn't sound tough and hawkish some fraud will outdo him on the issue and peel off those supporters.

His dad never won a single primary. I think he knows what he's doing and I think he deserves some trust.

As for broader foreign policy, he makes a speech in Feb at heritage where he will lay it out.

pcosmar
01-26-2013, 12:10 AM
I think he deserves some trust.

You can think that.
Dishonesty does not deserve trust.

Maximus
01-26-2013, 12:26 AM
Rand is a Constitutionalist, he wouldn't join a war unless Congress voted for it. Chill. No one is attacking Israel.

AlexAmore
01-26-2013, 12:28 AM
You can think that.
Dishonesty does not deserve trust.

It's called "diplomacy" - "skill in handling affairs without arousing hostility". Rand is sweet talking his way to presidency. There's no other way. Nobody has even come close to winning a presidency by talking about their deepest darkest desires.

I think everyone should be able to go down to their local military store buy a fully armed tank, a fighter jet, and a supercarrier with cash and have same day delivery no questions asked. But would I run on that platform or even talk about it? Of course not. I wouldn't have a snowball's chance in Hell. I would tow the party line and talk about reasonable 2nd amendment rhetoric.

BSWPaulsen
01-26-2013, 12:31 AM
Getting into entangling alliances are the kind of thing that has promoted terrorist attacks on the USA in the past.

No doubt.

Of course, this statement of Rand's isn't enough for me to abandon ship. I'll worry when his voting becomes a problem.

Sola_Fide
01-26-2013, 12:35 AM

I completely agree. Rand better get his head out of the establishment's backside and start talking to the liberty movement again. Rand is just about to lose any liberty momentum that he may still have for 2016.

Constitutional Paulicy
01-26-2013, 02:18 AM
I guess in summary, IF (big if) Iran see's a Ron Paul style foreign policy as an open invitation to try and remove Israel, then that decision will relegate President Paul to a place in history alongside John Tyler, and it would be the end of the liberty movement as we know it.

I lived in South Korea and currently live in Taiwan. My brother is still living in S.Korea and neither of us have any plans of leaving our second homes. With regard to the so called threat of N.Korea and mainland China, We believe it to be a matter that can only be resolved between the respective parties. There is plenty of saber rattling going on but ultimately the Taiwanese/Chinese are going to have to come to terms eventually and I see it improving rapidly. We just need to give it time and stay the hell out of it. It's just another front for the military industrial complex to broaden their agenda.

My brother and I support Ron Paul's non-interventionist philosophy and hope that Rand Paul endorses the same approach. When I hear what Rand has to say here I have mixed emotions because I want to here what Dr. Paul so eloquently says that brings peace to my soul. Yet I understand that he would likely be signing his death warrant if he became as outspoken as his father. It's a shame but it's also a reality we have to accept. If he has to maneuver his way into the presidency then so be it. Just get his ass in the White House and turn him loose. I'm willing to bet he gets it right.

purplechoe
01-26-2013, 02:27 AM

I think you meant selling out their principals, right? :rolleyes:

purplechoe
01-26-2013, 02:32 AM
Before he could do that, he would have to make sure he fully explained how our nation would still be defended without some of the bases we have now.

So you basically disagree with Ron Paul on the issue? Good to know.

Your support of Glenn Beck in the past is becoming more clear to me. The more we dig, the clearer it becomes where you stand on the issues.

purplechoe
01-26-2013, 02:36 AM

It would be funny if this issue wasn't so damn serious.

HigherVision
01-26-2013, 02:46 AM
So you basically disagree with Ron Paul on the issue? Good to know.

Your support of Glenn Beck in the past is becoming more clear to me. The more we dig, the clearer it becomes where you stand on the issues.

I honestly feel that people within the liberty movement who still support Rand and like what he's doing should just leave the liberty movement and become full-on republicans. They would fit in great with the Glenn Becks and the Breitbarts. The Matt Drudges. There's already a whole niche for Rand's type of politics. Relatively limited government with interventions to enforce Christian morality like keeping cannabis illegal and having obscenity laws for porn and things, a relatively free market outside of that and military interventionism overseas. There's a whole movement for that already, it's not full on neoconservatism. They're against gun control and open borders and things like that. It's more like just standard conservatism.

itshappening
01-26-2013, 02:52 AM
I honestly feel that people within the liberty movement who still support Rand and like what he's doing should just leave the liberty movement and become full-on republicans. They would fit in great with the Glenn Becks and the Breitbarts. The Matt Drudges. There's already a whole niche for Rand's type of politics. Relatively limited government with interventions to enforce Christian morality like keeping cannabis illegal and having obscenity laws for porn and things, a relatively free market outside of that and military interventionism overseas. There's a whole movement for that already, it's not full on neoconservatism. They're against gun control and open borders and things like that. It's more like just standard conservatism.

It's a broad church, you don't win anything on a pure Libertarian platform and that's a fact.

HigherVision
01-26-2013, 02:52 AM
Unfortunately this is the only way he gets elected, pandering to the more hawkish elements in the GOP. The ones who chant USA, USA, USA and want their candidate to sound tough. If Rand doesn't sound tough and hawkish some fraud will outdo him on the issue and peel off those supporters.

His dad never won a single primary. I think he knows what he's doing and I think he deserves some trust.

As for broader foreign policy, he makes a speech in Feb at heritage where he will lay it out.

His dad grew the libertarian movement enormously, from not even having a hundred people show up to lectures into filling stadiums. If Rand were as libertarian as his dad it would likely continue to have the effect of growing the liberty movement. So that at some point libertarian ideas are popular politically. If you're just going to pander to the folks who support war and statism instead of challenging them and spreading the truth what's the point?

itshappening
01-26-2013, 02:54 AM
I think you meant selling out their principals, right? :rolleyes:

you don't need to sell out your principles to get 50+1%, you just need to make people feel comfortable through a combination of nuanced positions, keeping quiet about other stuff and selling the message better.

Do you think the neocons sell out their principles of war everywhere when they run candidates who promise a humble foreign policy?

No, they use it to get into power and then execute their true principles.

itshappening
01-26-2013, 02:57 AM
His dad grew the libertarian movement enormously, from not even having a hundred people show up to lectures into filling stadiums. If Rand were as libertarian as his dad it would likely continue to have the effect of growing the liberty movement. So that at some point libertarian ideas are popular politically. If you're just going to pander to the folks who support war and statism instead of challenging them and spreading the truth what's the point?

His dad never won a primary and never wanted to be president.

Rand is trying to win primaries in multiple states and be president.

This means sounding hawkish and to your hardcore USA, USA, USA chanting GOP voter and draping yourself in the flag of Israel.

So far he's doing a great job as the whole conservative media and pundit class are raving about him .

purplechoe
01-26-2013, 03:01 AM
LOL its the entire Hot Air crowd vs. AF on there. Go AF! My money is on you!

Thanks for the heads up. I was banned from that bunch of psychopaths during the '08 election for merely stating my views about non-interventionism so I pretty much stay away from them like the plague. It seems that they at least are letting people with opposing views post on there and it not being such a circle jerk.

So having read Anti-Federalist comments on there, BRAVO SIR!!! You are my hero for expressing those views in such a well stated manner in the vipers den!!!

HigherVision
01-26-2013, 03:01 AM
you don't need to sell out your principles to get 50+1%, you just need to make people feel comfortable through a combination of nuanced positions, keeping quiet about other stuff and selling the message better.

Do you think the neocons sell out their principles of war everywhere when they run candidates who promise a humble foreign policy?

No, they use it to get into power and then execute their true principles.

They haven't claimed anything close to a moderate foreign policy for over a decade now. They were able to change the hearts and minds of the people into becoming more zealously pro-war through a campaign of propaganda. So why we can't change peoples minds and win people over with the truth and a message of freedom? In fact I think we've already started to. What Rand is doing is taking the wind out of our sails just as this thing was getting going with this watered down crap.

HigherVision
01-26-2013, 03:05 AM
His dad never won a primary and never wanted to be president.

Rand is trying to win primaries in multiple states and be president.

This means sounding hawkish and to your hardcore USA, USA, USA chanting GOP voter and draping yourself in the flag of Israel.

So far he's doing a great job as the whole conservative media and pundit class are raving about him .

Rand has been doing a great job in building a successful, lucrative political career for himself. He's proven to the big shots like Bill Kristol that he's a serious politician with a serious career ahead of him and someone who will probably be part of the political establishment for years to come, not someone on the fringes like his father. But how does that benefit me? It doesn't.

itshappening
01-26-2013, 03:07 AM
They haven't claimed anything close to a moderate foreign policy for over a decade now. They were able to change the hearts and minds of the people into becoming more zealously pro-war through a campaign of propaganda. So why we can't change peoples minds and win people over with the truth and a message of freedom? In fact I think we've already started to. What Rand is doing is taking the wind out of our sails just as this thing was getting going with this watered down crap.

The fact is no one is going to get elected president on a LP platforrm.

No one.

Look at the GOP nominee's of the past 20 years, Rand has to sound like them to win and that's what he's doing.

It doesn't mean he's selling out his principles.

People are war weary including GOP voters but they want their candidate to be a strong supporter of Israel and a strong supporter of national defense.

Rand is basically giving them what they want.

He's not on a crusade or an education mission.

He could run that way and try and educate but like Ron he will lose.

He's trying to get 40 percent of the vote in Iowa, NH and SC so everything he does is geared to that.

He's not going to sound like Ron so don't be disappointed. Nearly everyone knows this.

purplechoe
01-26-2013, 03:08 AM
Yes there are lots of factors which lead to Iran's current state which can be blamed on the US, but the fact remains, that Iran is state ruled by religious fundamentalism.

As opposed to Israel whose claim to the land is that God gave it to them? Or the support of Christian-Zionists for Israel is not because of religious fundamentalism. Spare me the BS.

HigherVision
01-26-2013, 03:09 AM
The fact is no one is going to get elected president on a LP platforrm.

No one.

Look at the GOP nominee's of the past 20 years, Rand has to sound like them to win and that's what he's doing.

It doesn't mean he's selling out his principles.

People are war weary including GOP voters but they want their candidate to be a strong supporter of Israel and a strong supporter of national defense.

Rand is basically giving them what they want.

He's not on a crusade or an education mission.

He could run that way and try and educate but like Ron he will lose.

He's trying to get 40 percent of the vote in Iowa, NH and SC so everything he does is geared to that.

He's not going to sound like Ron so don't be disappointed. Nearly everyone knows this.

Can the Rand Paul supporters split from the Ron Paul/liberty movement then, since we have different goals? I'm not really interested in Rand Paul's political career, I'm interested in people who have policies that are actually in my interest as a libertarian.

itshappening
01-26-2013, 03:10 AM
Rand has been doing a great job in building a successful, lucrative political career for himself. He's proven to the big shots like Bill Kristol that he's a serious politician with a serious career ahead of him and someone who will probably be part of the political establishment for years to come, not someone on the fringes like his father. But how does that benefit me? It doesn't.

A lucrative political career? He'd probably earn twice as much than US senator and work less as an eye doctor in Kentucky.

He wants to be president to advance liberty and continue this project of taking over the GOP.

purplechoe
01-26-2013, 03:11 AM
For Immediate Release
November 19, 2009

BOWLING GREEN, KENTUCKY – Leading United States Senate candidate Rand Paul today criticized the Obama administration’s decision to close the Guantanamo Bay detention center and try terrorism suspects in United States Civil Courts.

"Foreign terrorists do not deserve the protections of our Constitution," said Dr. Paul. "These thugs should stand before military tribunals and be kept off American soil. I will always fight to keep Kentucky safe and that starts with cracking down on our enemies."

And there goes another blow for human decency.

itshappening
01-26-2013, 03:12 AM
Can the Rand Paul supporters split from the Ron Paul/liberty movement then, since we have different goals? I'm not really interested in Rand Paul's political career, I'm interested in people who have policies that are actually in my interest as a libertarian.

You're being very selfish if you don't see what's happening.

Rand is standing up for liberty in the US Senate, the only senator who blocks bills and puts up amendments and gives lengthy speeches on the 4th amendment etc.

Have you been following him?

He's showing the way to a lot of potential candidates.

Slowly the GOP is changing.

HigherVision
01-26-2013, 03:13 AM
A lucrative political career? He'd probably earn twice as much than US senator and work less as an eye doctor in Kentucky.

He wants to be president to advance liberty and continue this project of taking over the GOP.

Maybe just the prestige then. Though I'm skeptical he's not making money off of any of this. I mean there have to be other sources of revenue besides just his on the books salary. He's been able to write books and things, which people otherwise would not care about were he not a senator. I don't believe for a minute that he's not doing all this stuff with Israel and everything else for himself and that instead it's all part of some great mission.

purplechoe
01-26-2013, 03:13 AM

sounds like you have more sense then some of the veteran members here...

HigherVision
01-26-2013, 03:16 AM
You're being very selfish if you don't see what's happening.

Rand is standing up for liberty in the US Senate, the only senator who blocks bills and puts up amendments and gives lengthy speeches on the 4th amendment etc.

Have you been following him?

He's showing the way to a lot of potential candidates.

Slowly the GOP is changing.

Yes I've been following him, he deviates from being pro-liberty quite a bit. And from what I've heard from him in interviews and things it's not because he's putting on a front, he genuinely doesn't believe what his father does. To me he's just a slightly better than average conservative and not a particularly exciting figure. The fact that he's Ron Paul's son is the most interesting thing about him, but when you get past that there's just not a whole lot to the guy.

itshappening
01-26-2013, 03:18 AM
Maybe just the prestige then. Though I'm skeptical he's not making money off of any of this. I mean there have to be other sources of revenue besides just his on the books salary. He's been able to write books and things, which people otherwise would not care about were he not a senator. I don't believe for a minute that he's not doing all this stuff with Israel and everything else for himself and that instead it's all part of some great mission.

He's obviously doing it to run in 16 and win.

He's not doing it for money believe me, he could have a quiet life in Kentucky as an eye doctor with his boys, patients, his wife, etc. instead he's shutting between KY and DC and doing 10 interviews a week slowly advancing liberty and talking directly to GOP voters, the exact people he needs to reach. I think he's very smart at what he's doing and not to be underestimated.

purplechoe
01-26-2013, 03:19 AM
I'll just say that we either have some agent provocateurs here or people that just don't understand or disagree with Ron Paul on the issues. It's good that they let us know where they stand so we know who our friends and enemies are.

purplechoe
01-26-2013, 03:22 AM

How about we ask the people what they think and if they want to pressure their representatives to go to war let them voice their concerns and stop treating our presidents like fucking kings, ok?

HigherVision
He's obviously doing it to run in 16 and win.

He's not doing it for money believe me, he could have a quiet life in Kentucky as an eye doctor with his boys, patients, his wife, etc. instead he's shutting between KY and DC and doing 10 interviews a week slowly advancing liberty and talking directly to GOP voters, the exact people he needs to reach. I think he's very smart at what he's doing and not to be underestimated.

He could have a quiet life but being a senator is a big deal and it's considered a huge achievement to most people. And becoming president is considered like the ultimate accomplishment. Lots of people leave behind quieter lives and higher paying jobs and things to go into politics who aren't particularly principled at all. I mean Mitt Romney probably made a lot more in his job and blew a ton of money running for president for no other reason than that he wanted to be president. Why is it such an absurd notion that it could be the same for Rand?

itshappening
Yes I've been following him, he deviates from being pro-liberty quite a bit. And from what I've heard from him in interviews and things it's not because he's putting on a front, he genuinely doesn't believe what his father does. To me he's just a slightly better than average conservative and not a particularly exciting figure. The fact that he's Ron Paul's son is the most interesting thing about him, but when you get past that there's just not a whole lot to the guy.

That's a really stupid and insulting statement because he's not a standard conservative, none of which take the principled stands Rand has taken on the 4th amendment, foreign aid, actually cutting government and proposing a budget that cuts 500 billion dollars in the first year.

I think you need to read his Wikipedia page and remind yourself
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rand_Paul

itshappening
01-26-2013, 03:23 AM
He could have a quiet life but being a senator is a big deal and it's considered a huge achievement to most people. And becoming president is considered like the ultimate accomplishment. Lots of people leave behind quieter lives and higher paying jobs and things to go into politics who aren't particularly principled at all. I mean Mitt Romney probably made a lot more in his job and blew a ton of money running for president for no other reason than that he wanted to be president. Why is it such an absurd notion that it could be the same for Rand?

Mitt was worth like $200m, Rand is not worth that and has to work for a living.

HigherVision
01-26-2013, 03:27 AM
That's a really stupid and insulting statement because he's not a standard conservative, none of which take the principled stands Rand has taken on the 4th amendment, foreign aid, actually cutting government and proposing a budget that cuts 500 billion dollars in the first year.

I think you need to read his Wikipedia page and remind yourself
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rand_Paul

I'm aware of those things, but he also supports the war on drugs for the most part, voted in favor of sanctions repeatedly, voting for a 600 billion dollar military budget, and is now in Israel wearing a yamaka making declarations that the Arabs better watch out. Overall I'm not too impressed by the guy. Rank and file conservatives sometimes support the constitution too, for example Sarah Palin is a strong supporter of the second amendment. But I wouldn't call her a strong supporter of liberty overall.

itshappening
01-26-2013, 03:28 AM
I'm aware of those things, but he also supports the war on drugs for the most part, voted in favor of sanctions repeatedly, voting for a 600 billion dollar military budget, and is now in Israel wearing a yamaka making declarations that the Arabs better watch out. Overall I'm not too impressed by the guy. Rank and file conservatives sometimes support the constitution too, for example Sarah Palin is a strong supporter of the second amendment. But I wouldn't call her a strong supporter of liberty overall.

Who are you impressed by? I'm guessing nobody.

You're not interested in electoral politics, we get it.

HigherVision
01-26-2013, 03:30 AM
Mitt was worth like $200m, Rand is not worth that and has to work for a living.

Mitt worked for a living. I don't like him but he was very successful in business, that's work unless you're a socialist and think that the capitalists are exploiters and don't do anything. The point is he was willing to take a huge pay cut to become president just because he wanted to be president, not because he was on some quest for liberty. It's not unusual for people to do that.

itshappening
01-26-2013, 03:33 AM
Mitt worked for a living. I don't like him but he was very successful in business, that's work unless you're a socialist and think that the capitalists are exploiters and don't do anything. The point is he was willing to take a huge pay cut to become president just because he wanted to be president, not because he was on some quest for liberty. It's not unusual for people to do that.

The difference is Mitt earned his money and then sought political office.

What i'm saying is Rand can earn more than the 180k he gets as a U.S Senator and have a quieter life in Bowling Green Kentucky.

HigherVision
01-26-2013, 03:33 AM
Who are you impressed by? I'm guessing nobody.

You're not interested in electoral politics, we get it.

I was impressed by Ron Paul. I liked the Libertarian party candidates who ran in my local election and voted for them. And I didn't like some of Gary Johnson's positions but I liked him overall, particularly his opposition to war with Iran which is much stronger than Rand's. So I am interested in politics I'm just not interested in politics as usual and 'playing the game' and all of that. I'm interested in people who are willing to go against the grain for liberty and not just fall in line like Rand is doing. And I guess I don't care as much about winning in the short term future as much as I do the long term goal of making liberty popular.

HigherVision
01-26-2013, 03:34 AM
The difference is Mitt earned his money and then sought political office.

What i'm saying is Rand can earn more than the 180k he gets as a U.S Senator and have a quieter life in Bowling Green Kentucky.

Well whatever, neither of us can read his mind. I'm just saying I'm not convinced that his 'playing the game' isn't more out of self-interest than anything else.

itshappening
01-26-2013, 03:37 AM
I was impressed by Ron Paul. I liked the Libertarian party candidates who ran in my local election and voted for them. And I didn't like some of Gary Johnson's positions but I liked him overall, particularly his opposition to war with Iran which is much stronger than Rand's. So I am interested in politics I'm just not interested in politics as usual and 'playing the game' and all of that. I'm interested in people who are willing to go against the grain for liberty and not just fall in line like Rand is doing.

OK, so you were impressed by Ron Paul.

Are you aware Ron Paul voted for the AUMF against Afghanistan on 14th Sept 2001?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorization_for_Use_of_Military_Force_Against_Te rrorists

That's the Authorization they have used to keep the U.S in Afghanistan at a cost of about 1 trillion dollars.

So, you can find faults in any politician.

purplechoe
01-26-2013, 03:38 AM

If they attack us with nuclear weapons they would be wiped out the following day. Here's another scenario. How about the fact that the crime families who run our government need and are the ones who help these monsters get into power so that later they have an excuse for their foreign policy? Do you even study history?

Problem, reaction, solution? We talk about that here on the daily basis about the domestic issues but it applies to foreign policy as well...

LibertyEagle
01-26-2013, 03:39 AM
I was impressed by Ron Paul. I liked the Libertarian party candidates who ran in my local election and voted for them. And I didn't like some of Gary Johnson's positions but I liked him overall, particularly his opposition to war with Iran which is much stronger than Rand's. So I am interested in politics I'm just not interested in politics as usual and 'playing the game' and all of that. I'm interested in people who are willing to go against the grain for liberty and not just fall in line like Rand is doing.

Oh please. Rand isn't "falling in line".

itshappening
01-26-2013, 03:41 AM
I guess Ron Paul "fell into line" on 14th Sept 2001

What do you say HigherVision?

HigherVision
01-26-2013, 03:41 AM
OK, so you were impressed by Ron Paul.

Are you aware Ron Paul voted for the AUMF against Afghanistan on 14th Sept 2001?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorization_for_Use_of_Military_Force_Against_Te rrorists

That's the Authorization they have used to keep the U.S in Afghanistan at a cost of about 1 trillion dollars.

So, you can find faults in any politician.

Yeah I'm aware of it and I think it's weak. But that's pretty much the only really bad thing he's done in his whole political career as far as I know. Literally every single vote he's ever cast besides that in numerous decades is consistent with being pro-liberty. They called him Dr. No because he voted no on almost everything. All the statist crap they shove on us. Whereas Rand seems just like a go-along to get along on a lot of things.

LibertyEagle
01-26-2013, 03:43 AM
I'll just say that we either have some agent provocateurs here or people that just don't understand or disagree with Ron Paul on the issues. It's good that they let us know where they stand so we know who our friends and enemies are.

I am too and I am counting those who are mischaracterizing Rand's actions and words with the enemy side.

HigherVision
01-26-2013, 03:43 AM
I guess Ron Paul "fell into line" on 14th Sept 2001

What do you say HigherVision?

Yes I would say that on that one occasion unfortunately he did. But the difference is, whereas Ron voted for that one thing which was just supposed to be the authorization to hunt down the alleged terrorists behind 9/11, Rand said he would have voted yes for the full-on war with Afghanistan.

purplechoe
01-26-2013, 03:46 AM
Yay, Rand's winning over people who don't have a nice word to say about his father, the person who got me (and surely many others) into the liberty movement. Not to mention the man who helped form the movement that Rand got elected on the back of. I mean seriously, read the comments. Smug dislike of Ron and support for MORE wars, MORE saber rattling. And a glee that Rand seems to be straying from his "nutty" father.

I'm tempted to give you some +rep for that statement, something I have never done here... I don't like that whole concept of it on the site BTW...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcz617rSy01r38j04o1_500.gif

HigherVision
01-26-2013, 03:47 AM
I am too and I am counting those who are mischaracterizing Rand's actions and words with the enemy side.

Are these the words of an enemy?:

REP. RON PAUL, (R), TEXAS: "It’s our money and our weapons. But I think we encouraged it. Certainly, the president has said nothing to diminish it. As a matter of fact, he justifies it on moral grounds, saying, oh, they have a right to do this, without ever mentioning the tragedy of Gaza. You know, the real problems that are there. To me, I look at it like a concentration camp. And people are making homemade bombs, like they’re the aggressors?" - http://www.infowars.com/ron-paul-on-bombing-the-gaza-prison-camp/

That's called real talk (or 'Texas Straight Talk' as Ron calls it), not like Rand's pandering bullshit.

purplechoe
01-26-2013, 03:48 AM

Sounds like Ronald Reagan to me, how did that work out for us?

purplechoe
01-26-2013, 03:51 AM

I'll just say one thing to you, something that I've come to the conclusion a long time ago, you're not as intelligent as you think you are. I know what my limitations are and I don't go discussing topics I know little about. I wish the likes of you would do a little studying of history by actually listening to Ron Paul and maybe reading his books?

dillo
01-26-2013, 03:53 AM
How in any way shape or form is Israel our ally? They are one of the major reasons the entire arab world hates us. Have they literally infiltrated every level of our government? AIPAC should be cut out of political donations. I wish no ill will upon Israel, but it always pisses me off when someone says they are our ally. There is 0 benefit to the USA in this current situation.

purplechoe
01-26-2013, 03:55 AM
Just to be clear, those of us who agree with Ron Paul on foreign policy are the whack jobs, right? Good to know...

HigherVision
01-26-2013, 04:00 AM
How in any way shape or form is Israel our ally? They are one of the major reasons the entire arab world hates us. Have they literally infiltrated every level of our government? AIPAC should be cut out of political donations. I wish no ill will upon Israel, but it always pisses me off when someone says they are our ally. There is 0 benefit to the USA in this current situation.

AIPAC will never be cut out for us so we have to cut them out by not supporting politicians who pander to the Zionists. Which unfortunately means not supporting Rand Paul. It's true that Israel is not our ally, they just use us as a proxy army. Not everyone in Israel agrees with these policies and is bad, but the ones who are is who Rand is pandering to. He's not speaking to Israeli groups against the occupation or anything like that.

LibertyEagle
01-26-2013, 04:01 AM
Are these the words of an enemy?:

REP. RON PAUL, (R), TEXAS: "It’s our money and our weapons. But I think we encouraged it. Certainly, the president has said nothing to diminish it. As a matter of fact, he justifies it on moral grounds, saying, oh, they have a right to do this, without ever mentioning the tragedy of Gaza. You know, the real problems that are there. To me, I look at it like a concentration camp. And people are making homemade bombs, like they’re the aggressors?" - http://www.infowars.com/ron-paul-on-bombing-the-gaza-prison-camp/

That's called real talk (or 'Texas Straight Talk' as Ron calls it), not like Rand's pandering bullshit.

Here's some straight talk for you.

The slurs against Ron that he was anti-Israel, even an anti-semite, stuck, because of his careless use of words. Rand hasn't had 30 years in office, so he has an opportunity to not create for himself numerous landmines from his own words, that he has to overcome in a presidential race.

In case it's news to you, because it must be, Rand has to breakthrough the propaganda wall that so many Republicans have had heaped at them for years. Ron couldn't do it.

If you don't realize that in addition to trying his best to stop the steamroller of tyranny, Rand is taking back the tea party and redefining terms that the leftists long ago smeared to all hell, I don't really know what to say to you. Frankly, I am amazed at how well he is doing. It's almost masterful.

LibertyEagle
01-26-2013, 04:04 AM
AIPAC will never be cut out for us so we have to cut them out by not supporting politicians who pander to the Zionists. Which unfortunately means not supporting Rand Paul. It's true that Israel is not our ally, they just use us as a proxy army. Not everyone in Israel agrees with these policies and is bad, but the ones who are is who Rand is pandering to. He's not speaking to Israeli groups against the occupation or anything like that.

Speak for yourself. Go vote for the Libertarian, then, if you don't like Rand. But, you sure as hell don't speak for this movement.

purplechoe
01-26-2013, 04:09 AM
Rand is a Constitutionalist, he wouldn't join a war unless Congress voted for it. Chill. No one is attacking Israel.

But, but Israel is being attacked by Iran's proxies, etc...

Isn't it the Muslims world problem with us is that US is a proxy for Israel? Considering that AIPAC actually has the veto on our foreign policy, maybe they have a point? And when one brings up the point that most of our media and entertainment is run by over dominantly Jewish folks, one is called an anti-semite for even mentioning such a thing? How about those Jews that are anti-zionists? Are they anti-semetic too?

purplechoe
01-26-2013, 04:11 AM
It's called "diplomacy" - "skill in handling affairs without arousing hostility". Rand is sweet talking his way to presidency. There's no other way. Nobody has even come close to winning a presidency by talking about their deepest darkest desires.

I think everyone should be able to go down to their local military store buy a fully armed tank, a fighter jet, and a supercarrier with cash and have same day delivery no questions asked. But would I run on that platform or even talk about it? Of course not. I wouldn't have a snowball's chance in Hell. I would tow the party line and talk about reasonable 2nd amendment rhetoric.

So we have to trick them into voting for liberty? It won't work. The only real solution to the problems we face is educating the general public. Something that Ron Paul agrees with me on.

Edited to add - to be continued, I need to get some sleep...

HigherVision
01-26-2013, 04:33 AM
Speak for yourself. Go vote for the Libertarian, then, if you don't like Rand. But, you sure as hell don't speak for this movement.

I support Ron Paul's foreign policy not Rand's. So if 'this movement' is the Rand Paul movement now you're right that I'm not part of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkCzfxPcCak

HigherVision
01-26-2013, 04:36 AM
The slurs against Ron that he was anti-Israel, even an anti-semite, stuck, because of his careless use of words.

Yeah, careless use of words i.e. speaking the truth. That happens to be what I like about Ron.

jkob
01-26-2013, 04:40 AM
Well, Israel being nuked or being under siege from a foreign country is a little different than going to war preemptively for them or going along with their foreign policy A candidate would have to say the same thing about defending the UK or France or Japan too, fortunately for us the likelihood of any of those countries facing an attack of that sort is essentially nil and only lives on in the fantasies paranoid neoconservatives. If saying this will stop those weirdos from pissing themselves then whatever. Saying he wouldn't end foreign aid to Israel before eliminating foreign aid to countries like Egypt, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, etc doesn't really bother me either, it all needs to go. Again, if saying that is what it takes to stop dumbass Fox News listeners from thinking Rand wants to turn his back on Israel and support dem terrorists then so be it.

If Rand starts supporting intervening in Syria or whatever then it will be cause for alarm.

TheTyke
01-26-2013, 05:03 AM
"You don't have to worry about Rand becoming a neocon. He's much too smart for that." - Carol Paul

His mother had to say that in the senate race during one of the other dozens of media-inspired fits of eating our own. Trolls encourage it, but it's still our fault if we fall for it over and over. These bashers don't even know Rand... he gave up a career he was happy with to wade into the swamp, enduring lies, smears and stress to his family, to fight for our liberty with all the strength and strategy he could muster.

You're darn right he expects us in the liberty movement to have his back, while he wins over the others. He's earned it a dozen times over. He probably can't begin understand how day in and day out, he's voting right, raising heck in the senate, and opening people's minds, but we seem to wait for any quote or misstep to tear into him like so many piranhas. He's been helping his dad and fighting for liberty his whole life - surely longer than most of us have even been activists! If we spent half as much time attacking our ACTUAL enemies, this country would already be a better place.

Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves, especially the ones posting over and over in desperation to discredit him. It doesn't represent the movement or the silent majority... I suspect most of us are busy actually working for liberty and not posting on forums all day.

Sheesh!

kcchiefs6465
01-26-2013, 05:39 AM

Iran has been attacked. By Israeli intelligence arms, and I would not doubt our presence in helping to facilitate these attacks. The capitalization of "no one is going to attack Iran" is actually quite humorous. Cyber warfare, sanctions, blown up scientists- these are attacks.

I would love to hear Rand Paul state unequivocally that he does not support such attacks. Even/especially in the case of supposedly protecting Israel.

kcchiefs6465
01-26-2013, 05:40 AM
Neither does Rand, goddamnit!

paulbot24
01-26-2013, 06:26 AM
Rand is the only Senator that actually has the courage to say what needs to be said. I can't believe how god awful the Senate would be without him since he clearly stands alone when he says things like:

"I don't feel comfortable signing a bill I haven't actually read. You only gave us a few hours to read over 500 pages. How could anybody have read this? I think that is the most troubling part. Nobody on this floor has read this bill. Why are we passing laws we don't even read and expecting our people to respect us? You wonder why our approval ratings are so low? Do you think this kind of irresponsibility might have something to do with that?"

The rest of the Senate was mad because it was past 8pm and he was "making them stay late." He basically said, "Too bad."

With the way some people talk on here, they might be satisfied with Jesus. "Maybe. I don't know. He visited Israel. He seems principled, but he's no Ron Paul though......."

torchbearer
01-26-2013, 08:04 AM
With the way some people talk on here, they might be satisfied with Jesus. "Maybe. I don't know. He visited Israel. He seems principled, but he's no Ron Paul though......."

lulz.

LibertyEagle
01-26-2013, 09:17 AM
Neither does Rand, goddamnit!

I don't recall saying he did. :rolleyes:

LibertyEagle
01-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Iran has been attacked. By Israeli intelligence arms, and I would not doubt our presence in helping to facilitate these attacks. The capitalization of "no one is going to attack Iran" is actually quite humorous. Cyber warfare, sanctions, blown up scientists- these are attacks.

I would love to hear Rand Paul state unequivocally that he does not support such attacks. Even/especially in the case of supposedly protecting Israel.

You must have missed the post where I said I had intended to say ISRAEL; not Iran.

LibertyEagle
01-26-2013, 09:24 AM
I'll just say one thing to you, something that I've come to the conclusion a long time ago, you're not as intelligent as you think you are. I know what my limitations are and I don't go discussing topics I know little about. I wish the likes of you would do a little studying of history by actually listening to Ron Paul and maybe reading his books?

Wow, imagine that. Another personal attack. lol.

Purple, I have been reading Ron Paul's stuff probably before you were even an itch in your daddy's pants. So, please stick a pin in your over-inflated ego and let the hot air blow out.

COpatriot
01-26-2013, 09:38 AM
This was very disappointing to read. An attack on Israel is an attack on Israel, not the US. But I guess he has to do what he has to do. I'd you want a chance to succeed in this shitty party you have to placate the neocons and the rapture freaks. This was why Ron never stood a chance.

Brett85
01-26-2013, 09:43 AM
This was very disappointing to read. An attack on Israel is an attack on Israel, not the US. But I guess he has to do what he has to do. I'd you want a chance to succeed in this shitty party you have to placate the neocons and the rapture freaks. This was why Ron never stood a chance.

Probably, but I just wonder whether he would say, "an attack on Great Britain is an attack on the United States," or "an attack on South Korea is an attack on the United States," etc. If he's just making an exception for Israel, fine. But I'm worried about how far he actually believes in taking this. Does he believe that we should be responsible for defending the 50+ countries around the world that we're currently forced to defend through treaty? If so, that would be a huge departure from Ron's foreign policy.

dinosaur
01-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Wow, imagine that. Another personal attack. lol.

Purple, I have been reading Ron Paul's stuff probably before you were even an itch in your daddy's pants. So, please stick a pin in your over-inflated ego and let the hot air blow out.

Can a sock puppet have an over-inflated ego? :toady: Kidding, sort of...I'm not sure that I believe that some of these people are even for real.

Originally Posted by purplechoe

Purplechoe, I just gave you a neg rep for arguing without even attempting to inject substance into your argument.

PatriotOne
01-26-2013, 10:12 AM
Lady Gaga posting Hotair articles to bolster his Rand Paul hatred? Now that's what I call doing the "full-moron".

iakobos
01-26-2013, 10:12 AM
‘any attack on Israel will be treated as an attack on the United States’

I've had my doubts about Rand for a while now. He obviously has some libertarian beliefs that match Ron Paul's and more importantly with my beliefs. But it's obvious now that entangling alliances is one of Rand's beliefs. To me this is a fairly core belief and a repudiation of libertarianism. It leads down the road to all the other foreign policy debacles that we are presently experiencing. Very disappointing.

cajuncocoa
01-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Can a sock puppet have an over-inflated ego? :toady: Kidding, sort of...I'm not sure that I believe that some of these people are even for real.

Purplechoe, I just gave you a neg rep for arguing without even attempting to inject substance into your argument.
my +rep counters your neg- rep. the substance is there, you just don't like to hear it.

Badger Paul
01-26-2013, 10:26 AM
No, Rand is driving a wedge between us all by lonesome by making statements like this. The U.S is under no treaty obligations to defend Israel. We did not go to war with Egypt or Syria back in 1973 during the Yom Kippur War. Yet Rand wants to extend the U.S. security umbrella to Israel itself which would mean we would presumably have to attack Gaza if Hamas launched a few missiles. No American President has ever done this. If we do so for Israel, then why not places Georgia for example? Where does it stop? More importantly, where does Rand's pandering stop? Is he that desperate that he'll basically try to contradict half a century of U.S. policy towards Israel by going beyond just aid to blanket security guarantees? What if Israel uses such guarantees and decided to launch not just a premptive conventional strike on Iran but a nuclear one? You see, you can say what you want to get elected but it comes back to bite you when you take office and at that point it's not worth it. I'm not joining the Rand Paul campaign to make Israel a part of NATO.

Badger Paul
01-26-2013, 10:52 AM
"Speak for yourself. Go vote for the Libertarian, then, if you don't like Rand. But, you sure as hell don't speak for this movement. "

And neither do you. Don't think for one minute people invested their time and money for the last five years for one's man ambition. They did so for a cause and did so because one brave man spoke to that cause and was willing to stand up for it and had his back because they knew he wasn't in it for himself but for what he believed in. And it was the efforts and money of those people who created a movement around that cause and made Rand a U.S. Senator.

Rand may be the better politician, better speaker, better manager, more polished etc. I'll grant you all this. But all of these talents mean nothing if it takes repudiating what was the central core of his father's campaigns - that foreign policy with its entangling alliances and global reach and ties into global capitalism was damaging the country with its bigger government and big debts - to win higher office.

You sow trouble in your own house all you inherit is the wind. Rand should keep this Bible verse in mind the next time he want to impress his new "friends."

Brett85
01-26-2013, 10:52 AM
No, Rand is driving a wedge between us all by lonesome by making statements like this. The U.S is under no treaty obligations to defend Israel. We did not go to war with Egypt or Syria back in 1973 during the Yom Kippur War. Yet Rand wants to extend the U.S. security umbrella to Israel itself which would mean we would presumably have to attack Gaza if Hamas launched a few missiles. No American President has ever done this. If we do so for Israel, then why not places Georgia for example? Where does it stop? More importantly, where does Rand's pandering stop? Is he that desperate that he'll basically try to contradict half a century of U.S. policy towards Israel by going beyond just aid to blanket security guarantees? What if Israel uses such guarantees and decided to launch not just a premptive conventional strike on Iran but a nuclear one? You see, you can say what you want to get elected but it comes back to bite you when you take office and at that point it's not worth it. I'm not joining the Rand Paul campaign to make Israel a part of NATO.

I imagine Rand meant that the U.S would come to Israel's defense if another country launched a full scale invasion into Israel, but he should've been more clear. I hope that he actually listens to people's concerns and clears this issue up.

klamath
01-26-2013, 10:57 AM
I imagine Rand meant that the U.S would come to Israel's defense if another country launched a full scale invasion into Israel, but he should've been more clear. I hope that he actually listens to people's concerns and clears this issue up.

+1

cajuncocoa
01-26-2013, 11:07 AM
"Speak for yourself. Go vote for the Libertarian, then, if you don't like Rand. But, you sure as hell don't speak for this movement. "

And neither do you. Don't think for one minute people invested their time and money for the last five years for one's man ambition. They did so for a cause and did so because one brave man spoke to that cause and was willing to stand up for it and had his back because they knew he wasn't in it for himself but for what he believed in. And it was the efforts and money of those people who created a movement around that cause and made Rand a U.S. Senator.

Rand may be the better politician, better speaker, better manager, more polished etc. I'll grant you all this. But all of these talents mean nothing if it takes repudiating what was the central core of his father's campaigns - that foreign policy with its entangling alliances and global reach and ties into global capitalism was damaging the country with its bigger government and big debts - to win higher office.

You sow trouble in your own house all you inherit is the wind. Rand should keep this Bible verse in mind the next time he want to impress his new "friends."
I owe you another +rep

Badger Paul
01-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Thank you.

georgiaboy
01-26-2013, 11:20 AM

I agree with what you imagine to be true, and the general American population supports a view like this. For better or worse, everyone hearkens back to WWII and how we Americans came in and stopped the Nazis. We like to think that if another Hitler showed up on the world stage, we'd be there to beat him back. That's what Rand was playing to.

However, I disagree that he should've been more clear. Rand is perfectly delivering his rhetoric to appeal to a wide swath of the electorate.

Those of us who continue to watch Rand's actions, votes, amendments, fillibusters, proposals, etc., as well as these nuanced words, can see him for what he is - the greatest embodiment of conservative politics I've ever witnessed.

dinosaur
01-26-2013, 11:30 AM

Claiming a permanent ally does put a nation in danger...only if they actually get sucked into a war because of it. Rand's central argument when arguing his Israel policy has been that the biggest threat to our national security is our debt, and that we can not be a friend to Israel if we compromise our own security. He is both claiming Israel as friend and saying that we can no longer afford to spend on friends because it is endangering our own security. He is making the argument that he is the strongest candidate on defense because he would stop the wars and spending that are weakening our ability to defend ourselves, but is assuring people that he is strong and unafraid to defend if attacked. The best way to prevent war with Iran is to 1) stop our spending and empire building so that we will have the advantage of strength and 2) actually be in a position to do #1 and take power away from the neocons. Rand didn't choose our current allies, but he would have no choice but to honor the commitments of the people of this nation. It is not a president that declares war (or should), it is the people through their representatives. Ultimately it is the people who choose their own allies. Ron Paul has said time and again, that if the people chose to go to war (with Ron as president), he would act with strength, win the war, and come home. This is exactly what Rand is saying, just with different rhetoric. Rand is confirming his committment to honoring the right of the people, under the separation of powers, to choose their own allies. He is also doing his best to get us out of the danger that we have put ourselves in at the same time.

Badger Paul
01-26-2013, 11:33 AM
" Rand didn't chose our current allies, but he would have no choice but to honor the commitments of the people of this nation."

We have no commitment to defend Israel, period.

cheapseats
01-26-2013, 11:34 AM
‘any attack on Israel will be treated as an attack on the United States’

...entangling alliances is...a fairly core belief...

Whether to get INTO them or stay OUT of them, yes, it IS a core concept.

cheapseats
01-26-2013, 11:35 AM
I agree with what you imagine to be true...

(ASS | U | ME) X 2

dinosaur
01-26-2013, 11:41 AM
" Rand didn't chose our current allies, but he would have no choice but to honor the commitments of the people of this nation."

We have no commitment to defend Israel, period.

We only have that commitment if the people of this nation choose it. The people, through their representatives, would have to vote for it in a Rand Paul presidency. Rand would have no authority to stop them.

cheapseats
01-26-2013, 11:42 AM
...the greatest embodiment of conservative politics I've ever witnessed.

I get that some people LOVE Rand unconditionally...trust him, give him the benefit of the doubt, yada yada. Some DON'T.

I get that the "winning is everything" people not only don't CARE about alienating Ron Paul's hardcore base but kinda WANT to lose association with those "embarrassing" (impassioned & committed) activists. But HYPERBOLE about Rand Paul is off-putting to Fence Sitters. Word to unwise.

FOUR YEARS of hyperbolically pimping Rand is likelier to rekindle the passions of those OUTSIDE the Moovement who despise Paul the Elder than to win over those in the Moovement who are UNDERSTANDABLY looking askance at Paul the Younger.

dinosaur
01-26-2013, 11:43 AM
Whether to get INTO them or stay OUT of them, yes, it IS a core concept.

The separation of powers also gives the people, through their representatives, the right to decide if they want those alliances. alliances = bad, constitution = good

belian78
01-26-2013, 11:43 AM

You know what LE, you sure as hell don't either. I used to respect you on this site, why I really don't know other than you are ALWAYS here giving your opinion, and I can't even remember you getting active in any of the projects member of this site have organized now that I think about it. Anymore all you do is shout down anyone that resembles those of us who were around in the early days. Principles be damned, if we aren't looking to put on a front to make nice with the machine, we are ignorant peons needing to be browbeat back into line. The other posters are correct, I don't know if you're looking to work within the liberty movement so much as make the republican party palatable again. I'm thinking Beck's boards or a part time job filling in with Levin might fit a little better for you.

iakobos
01-26-2013, 11:47 AM
We only have that commitment if the people of this nation choose it. The people, through their representatives, would have to vote for it in a Rand Paul presidency. Rand would have no authority to stop them.Good point. What Rand could have said, if he wanted to appease both sides of the issue is, "If Israel is attacked and if the United States House of Representatives passes a declaration of war against the attacking nation, then as President I would prosecute the war." Neither side would be totally happy with that but it's a more Constitutional answer. Instead of that we got typical neo-con blather about war no matter what.

I'm still suffering severe disappointment from Rand's statements.

itshappening
01-26-2013, 11:49 AM
Good point. What Rand could have said, if he wanted to appease both sides of the issue is, "If Israel is attacked and if the United States House of Representatives passes a declaration of war against the attacking nation, then as President I would prosecute the war." Neither side would be totally happy with that but it's a more Constitutional answer. Instead of that we got typical neo-con blather about war no matter what.

He has said repeatedly no war without congress say so.

They would obviously say yes if Israel got attacked

cheapseats
01-26-2013, 11:50 AM
We only have that commitment if the people of this nation choose it. The people, through their representatives, would have to vote for it in a Rand Paul presidency.

The separation of powers also gives the people, through their representatives, the right to decide if they want those alliances. alliances = bad, constitution = good

Trotting out the THEORY of "representative government" would be LAUGHABLE, if any of this were funny.

dinosaur
01-26-2013, 11:52 AM

Yes, and now he is saying he would execute a war, with strengh, on behalf of the american people, if those people chose it. This is Ron's position also.

belian78
01-26-2013, 11:52 AM

Keeping with the line of "An attack on Israel is an attack on the USA" will surely make it so as well. This is the problem with making statements like this, he is keeping that mental 'must protect israel at all costs' circlejerk alive. This is why I respected Ron so much, he didn't mince words, he is breaking the mental bondage. Rand is using that mental bondage to 'try and infiltrate' but all he will do is lose himself in the process.

dinosaur
01-26-2013, 11:53 AM
Trotting out the THEORY of "representative government" would be LAUGHABLE, if any of this were funny.

Rand paul would not take the power to declare war upon himself. Because of that he would restore that power to the people, at least while he was president. That is not laughable.

dinosaur
01-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Rand is using that mental bondage to 'try and infiltrate' but all he will do is lose himself in the process.

Rand is using their own rhetoric against them, and giving their rhetoric an honest meaning.

A Son of Liberty
01-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Why should I, as person of principle and supporter of Ron Paul based upon his unequivocating principled positions, vote for Rand based upon the "theory" that what he is saying is not what he believes, but what he believes will garner him votes among the presumably easily duped Republican electorate?

belian78
01-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Rand is using their own rhetoric against them, and giving their rhetoric an honest meaning.

I would love to delude myself into believing that. But what happens when time comes to put rubber to road persay? If he doesn't back up his rhetoric with action, all the neocons and sociocons will abandon him. If he does back up the rhetoric, well.... losing us liberty lovers will be the least of the issues stemming from those actions.

I would personally rather have someone that is unflinching in both their principles and rhetoric, those are the men that I said I would protect with my life. So far, there's only been one, Ron Paul.

dinosaur
01-26-2013, 12:01 PM
I would love to delude myself into believing that. But what happens when time comes to put rubber to road persay? If he doesn't back up his rhetoric with action, all the neocons and sociocons will abandon him. If he does back up the rhetoric, well.... losing us liberty lovers will be the least of the issues stemming from those actions.

I would personally rather have someone that is unflinching in both their principles and rhetoric, those are the men that I said I would protect with my life. So far, there's only been one, Ron Paul.

Think about it: he can not, as president, declare war or choose which allies to defend. He will back up his words, but he has never promised to declare an unconstitutional war.

belian78
01-26-2013, 12:07 PM
Think about it: he can not, as president, declare war or choose which allies to defend. He will back up his words, but he has never promised to declare an unconstitutional war.
Really? Obama has 4 years of new wars all over the place that would like a word with you.

cheapseats
01-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Rand paul would not take the power to declare war upon himself. Because of that he would restore that power to the people, at least while he was president. That is not laughable.

Just like that, eh? Yeah, it IS laughable.

dinosaur
01-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Just like that, eh? Yeah, it IS laughable.

Why?

dinosaur
01-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Really? Obama has 4 years of new wars all over the place that would like a word with you.

Right, but Obama chose to take that power upon himself, even though it is unconstitutional. Rand is arguing that it is wrong for Obama to do that. As president, Rand would have the power to choose to obey the constitution. If you think that Rand is lying, fine. I have no reason to beleive that he lies.

cheapseats
01-26-2013, 12:14 PM
Why?

It is laughable to suppose that ANYONE is gonna sashay into the corner office and, poof, reverse the UNREPRESENTATIVE imperiousness of a CONGRESS GONE WILD.

Anyone who imagines that Democrats will not try to obstruct Republicans at every turn...same as Republicans have tried to obstruct Obama...IS, indeed, imagining.

For Rand to "simply" DO what Supporters want him to do and think he will do, he'd have to resort to...you guessed it...EXECUTIVE ORDERS.

pcosmar
01-26-2013, 12:16 PM

You have a crystal ball?

I had thought the same about Reagan. Even Bush said some good stuff.

And as much as I might hope so, Rand is not Ron.

And Ron would have never said something like Rand just did.

torchbearer
01-26-2013, 12:17 PM
It is laughable to suppose that ANYONE is gonna sashay into the corner office and, poof, reverse the UNREPRESENTATIVE imperiousness of a CONGRESS GONE WILD.

Anyone who imagines that Democrats will not try to obstruct Republicans at every turn...same as Republicans have tried to obstruct Obama...IS, indeed, imagining.

For Rand to "simply" DO what Supporters want him to do and think he will do, he'd have to resort to...you guessed it...EXECUTIVE ORDERS.

I'd rather have those battles than to not have those battles and just sit at home and bitch.

dinosaur
01-26-2013, 12:19 PM
You have a crystal ball?

I had thought the same about Reagan. Even Bush said some good stuff.

And as much as I might hope so, Rand is not Ron.

And Ron would have never said something like Rand just did.

Ron has said that he would execute a war that congress legally declared. Ron has said that Israel is our friend. The only difference that I see is in the rhetoric. In my judgement, Rand is honest, and I'm pretty cynical when it comes to politicians. People will have to make their own judgements about that, though.

cheapseats
01-26-2013, 12:19 PM
I'd rather have those battles than to not have those battles and just sit at home and bitch.

GETTING to those battles requires winning the General Election, not just the Republican Primary.

torchbearer
01-26-2013, 12:22 PM
GETTING to those battles requires winning the General Election, not just the Republican Primary.

every step is the battle.
some peeps here won't even bother to stand in the trenches as we go back into those conventions filled with armed men ready to beat us down.

FSP-Rebel
01-26-2013, 12:22 PM
There is no way he is going to morph into an interventionist. If he does, I will no longer support him. But so far, all I've seen from Rand, is Rand using their own rhetoric and re-defining it. It is actually very clever of him to use their own rhetoric against them...and to give it an honest meaning. For example, supporting Israel now means that we support ther right to be independent of the US and to defend themselves. It also now means that we shouldn't undermine their efforts to protect themselves by occupying, arming, and training their enemies in the middle east. When the neocons say that they support Israel, they are really saying that they support the endless stupid wars in the middle east that benefit neither Amercia, nor Great Britain, nor Israel...but that is not Rand's definition of supporting Israel. When neocons say that we must defend Israel, what they really mean is that we should attack Iran to finish the bankster wars...not Rand's definition either.
And for the life of me I can't understand why some people can't see this unless they are hell bent on being a fringe saboteur, in which case, they become the enemy of the political liberty movement. You're basically saying, "Hey Ron, you're son is a POS and is on par with Dick Cheney." Way to give thx to all Ron has done for liberty to cast aside his ideologically close son because you refuse to allow him to speak in different lingo because it upsets your stomach. Get f'd

cheapseats
01-26-2013, 12:23 PM

I seriously hope that longtime activist you are not falling back on the self-serving suggestion that anyone who is not onboard with ONE FACTION'S agenda is doing nothing.

alucard13mmfmj
01-26-2013, 12:28 PM
Turning ugly. But I guess it is better to get this ugliness out now than for it to come out later.

Sooooo. Can someone point out someone better for 2016? Anyone??? Can anyone suggest someone other than Rand for 2016? Heck, possibly 2020? Someone who is like Ron and has a chance of even getting the nomination. With the current pool of politicians, its not that great of a pool to choose from. There are some junior politicians, but they'll take a while to blossom and to get name recognition.

torchbearer
01-26-2013, 12:35 PM
I seriously hope that longtime activist you are not falling back on the self-serving suggestion that anyone who is not onboard with ONE FACTION'S agenda is doing nothing.

There is a battle, you recognize it. its the only one going on...
what will you be doing?
I suspect there will be those who just bitch the whole time.

alucard13mmfmj
01-26-2013, 12:36 PM

Just like Ron, where he doesn't really clear things up with foreign policy and medicare/SS. I recall people trying to get in contact with doug wead or someone that has direct link to Ron to ask Ron to be much more clear and explain his FP and medicare/SS better at debates or national TV. There are times where Ron sounds like he wants to end social security and medicare for the elderly in the 1 trillion dollar cut. Shouldve said "Ron will cut 1 trillion dollar year one to save SS and medicare". To be fair, there are times when he say he wants a slow transition of 10-20 years before ending SS/medicare. But he doesn't say it enough.

cheapseats
01-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Turning ugly. But I guess it is better to get this ugliness out now than for it to come out later.

Rand is CLEARLY posturing for a presidential bid. Okay, KNOWN. Howzabout the Liberty Moovement bears that knowledge in mind as it proceeds with its (snail's pace) effort to restore some Liberty and infuse some Justice into this embarrassingly BROKEN "System"?

If people spend FOUR YEARS pimping him and he doesn't win, then spend four MORE years pimping him for 2020 or EIGHT more years pimping him for 2024, he will become stigmatized as ALWAYS running for president...like Mitt Romney.

Sooooo. Can someone point out someone better for 2016? Anyone??? Can anyone suggest someone other than Rand for 2016? Heck, possibly 2020? Someone who is like Ron and has a chance of even getting the nomination. With the current pool of politicians, its not that great of a pool to choose from. There are some junior politicians, but they'll take a while to blossom and to get name recognition.

If Rand Paul gets run over by a bus, that's IT...all is lost? Are "we" again pinning salvation on a Messiah?

twomp
01-26-2013, 12:47 PM
If Rand Paul is the current figure of the Liberty movement, if the Liberty movement stands for the defense of Israel then the Liberty movement has been co-opted. We defend NO ONE BUT THE USA!

iakobos
01-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Good point. What Rand could have said, if he wanted to appease both sides of the issue is, "If Israel is attacked and if the United States House of Representatives passes a declaration of war against the attacking nation, then as President I would prosecute the war." Neither side would be totally happy with that but it's a more Constitutional answer. Instead of that we got typical neo-con blather about war no matter what.

The issue, though, is not whether Rand would only go to war with a Congressional declaration, but that he would apparently lead the charge to get that declaration. What I'm getting at is he doesn't think like I and his Dad do about the subject of repudiating all foreign military entanglements. It's obvious his statements will court the typical Republican go to war at all costs, especially if it's Israel, mentality. The words I put in his mouth are my words, obviously, but are meant to illustrate that someone who thinks as I do could deflect the issue by pointing to Constitutionality issues without necessarily giving a blanket statement of support or no support for war on Israel's behalf. I'm trying to be helpful here because I understand how knee jerk pro-war Republicans are when it comes to all things Middle East. And I perceive the need for any 'Libertarian' candidate to therefore handle the matter delicately.

Instead we got an openly pro-war statement. I find his pro-war views very disappointing.

dskalkowski
01-26-2013, 01:04 PM
If Rand Paul is the current figure of the Liberty movement, if the Liberty movement stands for the defense of Israel then the Liberty movement has been co-opted. We defend NO ONE BUT THE USA!

You actually think Israel is going to get attacked? :rolleyes:

cheapseats
01-26-2013, 01:08 PM

Do you think Israel would never PROVOKE an attack, resting assured of backup from the mighty American Military (and Taxpayer)?

twomp
01-26-2013, 01:10 PM

You mean you don't? Have you not heard Netanyahu (that the current leader of Israel) declare that he will not allow Iran to have a nuclear bomb? Israel has already bombed Syria's nuclear plant. You don't think they will do so to Iran? Do you not think Iran will retaliate?

deadfish
01-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Incredible that so many on RPF would rather have a Barack Obama / Hillary Clinton type person as POTUS instead of Rand Paul.

How... Why... Isn't that just stupid?

twomp
01-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Incredible that so many on RPF would rather have a Barack Obama / Hillary Clinton type person as POTUS instead of Rand Paul.

Really? Please point to me where someone said that. Nice try at spinning peoples words though.

torchbearer
01-26-2013, 01:31 PM

they are that stupid.
we had this strand of stupid in the LP and it held us back at every turn.

iakobos
01-26-2013, 01:38 PM

Incredible that someone would rather have Rand Paul than Ron Paul.

Now go troll somewhere else.

Lucille
01-26-2013, 01:44 PM
Rand Paul’s Unnecessary Security Guarantee
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/larison/rand-pauls-unnecessary-security-guarantee/

...In fact, Sen. Paul went a little beyond that and said that the U.S. should publicly “announce to the world” that an attack on Israel would be treated as an attack on the United States. There are several things wrong with this idea. First, it isn’t a true reflection of what U.S. policy has been and what it presumably will be in the future. The U.S. has no formal defense obligation to Israel, and attacks on Israel have never been treated as attacks on the United States. Especially because of the strains on our military and our current fiscal woes, it doesn’t make any sense for the U.S. to extend yet another security guarantee to a prospering client state that can already provide for its own defense. The U.S. needs to reduce allied and client dependency on the U.S. We certainly shouldn’t be adding any new security guarantees.

More to the point, making this announcement would be unnecessary. Israel has the most powerful military in the region, and it possesses its own nuclear deterrent. No state that would be deterred by such an announcement is going to launch an attack on Israel, because it is already deterred from doing so by Israel’s military arsenal. Those militias and groups that are still willing to launch strikes on Israel would still be willing to do so after such an announcement. The only things that this announcement would achieve would be to link the U.S. even more closely with Israel in the eyes of the world and potentially to make Americans targets of these groups.

If the U.S. made such an announcement and followed through on it the next time there is a conflict between Israel and Hizbullah, for example, the U.S. would be committing itself to involvement in a conflict in Lebanon that serves no discernible U.S. interest. If the U.S. makes the announcement and then doesn’t honor the guarantee being made, other U.S. security guarantees that may be necessary elsewhere in the world could be undermined. The worst-case scenario is that providing such a guarantee to Israel could make a future Israeli government more aggressive in its behavior towards one of its neighbors, and that could end up pulling the U.S. into a war that it wasn’t seeking and shouldn’t be fighting.

deadfish
01-26-2013, 02:37 PM
Really? Please point to me where someone said that. Nice try at spinning peoples words though.

Not much difference between Romney and Obama. Significant different between Rand Paul and everyone else. I've watched too many hours of Rand Paul's speeches and filibusters to be convinced otherwise. Just as an example, who else has watched all 1.75 hours from his speeches/filibustering on 9/21/12?

Also note that my nobody ever brings up the worst legislation (imo) that Rand Paul every pushed and continues to support rhetorically. He introduced legislation to ban abortion, and in a really dumb way too. Do people not know this or what? After some deep-thought, and some soul searching, and that video by G. Edward Griffin, I decided that I would still support Rand because I have faith that he wants to destroy the ring of power. I feel that faith is justified in the nuances that you pick up on when watching him speak... and by Ron Paul standing at his side.

Incredible that someone would rather have Rand Paul than Ron Paul.

Now go troll somewhere else.

Unfortunately, I feel Ron Paul did not want to win. If I could take back every dollar I donated, I would. It was no small sum. Instead, I would have invested primarily in Liberty For All and saved for smaller races. Doesn't change the fact that Ron changed my life and inspired my passion for politics. Sorry, but I was not a happy camper about being mislead.

At the end of the day, I have a goal. Taking control of the positions of power. I believed that if Ron was president, we would be better off. I believe that to be true with Rand. Maybe I will be wrong about Rand's intentions like I was about Ron's, but I will be more more cautious when Rand's money bombs begin. Big difference than trying to suck the wind out of his sails like so many on RPF.

As petty as it is, a big landmark will be whether Rand's campaign hires Benton or not. If he does, it's going to be really hard to donate.

P3ter_Griffin
01-26-2013, 03:58 PM

GARRRY!!... but no, I can't think of anyone with a chance.

fj45lvr
01-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Ron is a libertarian and Rand is not, which is why he can stand beside a horrific state such as Israel while they systematically steal while pointing guns at the heads of their victims...

if anybody is dumb enough to believe that rand is going to "fool" the oppressors into backing him they are delusional. They are getting a laugh at Paul pissing on liberty before they kick him to the curb....

belian78
01-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Ron is a libertarian and Rand is not, which is why he can stand beside a horrific state such as Israel while they systematically steal while pointing guns at the heads of their victims...

if anybody is dumb enough to believe that rand is going to "fool" the oppressors into backing him they are delusional. They are getting a laugh at Paul pissing on liberty before they kick him to the curb....
Unfortunately this is what I see happening as well.

Agorism
01-26-2013, 04:42 PM
Wonder if the Ron Paul supporters in Alaska are going to bother showing up at this point to take the chairmanship next month. Rand is sabotaging the movement.

Not saying it's not in their best interest to do so, but I think a lot of people are going to lack enthusiasm at this point. But so long as Glen Beck is backing you, that should be enough.

sailingaway
01-26-2013, 05:18 PM
People need to find motivation in something else then. Look at the states we've taken or almost taken. Look at, if not winning, Priebus having to fly around the country making concessions to keep his job. The R3VOLution is worth fighting for, even if we are just getting in place so that if the next Ron Paul appears he has a party to push him rather than cheat him. We can't change the world sitting still.

The r3VOLution isn't about who is running for President, necessarily, it is about us.

Occam's Banana
01-26-2013, 05:34 PM
Wonder if the Ron Paul supporters in Alaska are going to bother showing up at this point to take the chairmanship next month. Rand is sabotaging the movement.

Not saying it's not in their best interest to do so, but I think a lot of people are going to lack enthusiasm at this point. But so long as Glen Beck is backing you, that should be enough.

If their enthusiasm is contingent upon having some figurehead to rally around (such as Rand Paul - or even Ron Paul), then it was never going to amount to anything anyway - so what would it matter?

Führerprinzip has no place in the liberty movement.

sailingaway
01-26-2013, 05:36 PM
If their enthusiasm is contingent upon having some figurehead to rally around (such as Rand Paul - or even Ron Paul), then it was never going to amount to anything anyway - so what would it matter?

Führerprinzip has no place in the liberty movement.

Joe Miller is pushing events up there at the moment.

Dystopian
01-26-2013, 06:06 PM
If he walks like a neocon
and talks like a neocon
then he might be a....

Seriously, if he really said these comments, then why should he not be considered a neocon? Maybe he should move to Israel if he loves it so much.

LibertyEagle
01-26-2013, 06:17 PM
^^^
If he walks like a troll
and talks like a troll
then he probably is a troll

A perusal of your posts since you have joined, is quite interesting.

LibertyEagle
01-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Do you think Israel would never PROVOKE an attack, resting assured of backup from the mighty American Military (and Taxpayer)?

They provoke attacks all the time, but the people they provoke luckily are smart enough to know that if they attacked Israel that their country would be toast.

cheapseats
01-26-2013, 06:25 PM
They provoke attacks all the time...

Something Rand Paul should bear in mind when he proposes to broadcast to the globe that "ANY ATTACK ON ISRAEL IS AN ATTACK ON US."

...but the people they provoke luckily are smart enough to know that if they attacked Israel that their country would be toast.

Then "we" don't need to be offering blank-check, no-questions-asked backup.

What happens if hyper-sensitive, perpetual-victim Israel slaps the ATTACK label on the "usual" rockets from Gaza and seeks U.S. involvement?

Dystopian
01-26-2013, 06:27 PM

Unlike yours

klamath
01-26-2013, 06:28 PM
^^^
If he walks like a troll
and talks like a troll
then he probably is a troll

Don't feed it. It wants attention, so bad.

Occam's Banana
01-26-2013, 06:33 PM
Seriously, if he really said these comments, then why should he not be considered a neocon?

Perhaps because neo-conservatives are war-mongering leftish Republicans who are the intellectual descendants of ex-Trotskyites - something that Rand Paul obviously is not.

Of course, that would also require that people who run around hissing "OMG! Neo-con! Neo-con!" at everyone who says something they don't like would have to actually learn the meanings of the words they use.

Apparently, though, this would be asking too much ...

LibertyEagle
01-26-2013, 07:00 PM
Here is a brief summary of the general understanding of what neocons believe:

They agree with Trotsky on permanent revolution, violent as well as intellectual.
They are for redrawing the map of the Middle East and are willing to use force to do so.
They believe in preemptive war to achieve desired ends.
They accept the notion that the ends justify the means – that hard-ball politics is a moral necessity.
They express no opposition to the welfare state.
They are not bashful about an American empire; instead they strongly endorse it.
They believe lying is necessary for the state to survive.
They believe a powerful federal government is a benefit.
They believe pertinent facts about how a society should be run should be held by the elite and withheld from those who do not have the courage to deal with it.
They believe neutrality in foreign affairs is ill-advised.
They hold Leo Strauss in high esteem.
They believe imperialism, if progressive in nature, is appropriate.
Using American might to force American ideals on others is acceptable. Force should not be limited to the defense of our country.
9-11 resulted from the lack of foreign entanglements, not from too many.
They dislike and despise libertarians (therefore, the same applies to all strict constitutionalists).
They endorse attacks on civil liberties, such as those found in the Patriot Act, as being necessary.
They unconditionally support Israel and have a close alliance with the Likud Party.

read the rest.... (http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul110.html)

FSP-Rebel
01-26-2013, 07:11 PM
The point is not to fool the oppressors, it's to make his message palatable to mainstream conservatives so that he can pull them further into a liberty mindset. Unfortunately, deflecting non-interventionist foreign policy demagoguery by standing strong with Israel will allow him to make better inroads in promoting non-interventionism in general. I mean, he's on record stating that aid must stop to all at some point and I'm confident that once the rug is pulled on the hostile countries then it won't be too long afterwards that it only makes sense to end Israel's goodies to balance things out. Rand won't be able to single-handedly end aid on his own, it's to get the ball rolling in that direction so that support for reversing our overseas policies can bare fruit. Rand is hustling libertarianism to conservatives in the most innovative way in this day and age. If his language got too extreme too soon he'll cut off his nose to spite his face and lose all future progress.

itshappening
01-26-2013, 08:25 PM
read the rest.... (http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul110.html)

Once again Ron Paul shows us the way. The 2003 Neoconned speech was one of his classics and will be remembered for years to come.

No wonder Krauthammer wants to disown the term.

cheapseats
01-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Top of Drudge: ATTACK ON SYRIA IS ATTACK ON IRAN

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ML_SYRIA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-01-26-14-55-01

And THAT is how shit escalates.

Matt Collins
01-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Did any of you also happen to notice Rand's -

-Anti-war grilling of Kerry?

-Bringing up unconstitutional war in Libya?

-Bringing up foreign aid while in Israel?

-Being on TV against drone use this week?

-Getting FOX to cover, ad naseum, not selling arms to Egypt from OUR point of views?

-Pushing foreign aid cuts to Pakistan again to Kerry?

-Being the sole vote against Iranian containment language?

Just saying, put in context and perspective, his recent comments about Israel are not as big of a deal as everyone's making them out to be.

cheapseats
01-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Just saying, put in context and perspective, his recent comments about Israel are not as big of a deal as everyone's making them out to be.

His recent statement..."An attack on Israel is an attack on the U.S."...obviously IS a big deal to some, or this would not be a 25-page thread.

Whether It is or is not a big deal, YOU are an unapologetic defender of a "Political Process" that is better known as THE BROKEN SYSTEM.

kcchiefs6465
01-26-2013, 09:24 PM
They provoke attacks all the time, but the people they provoke luckily are smart enough to know that if they attacked Israel that their country would be toast.
And this does not bother you?

NOVALibertarian
01-26-2013, 09:33 PM
I thought people here would know by now not to believe anything a politician says?

Yet some of you are taking Rand's words at face value?

Ok.

A Son of Liberty
01-26-2013, 11:02 PM
I'm a saboteur if I'm troubled by Rand's comments?

I'll tell you what - you can have this movement, then. What made this movement special was Ron's principled, unwavering positions, and the people who were inspired by him and those positions. Ron was in the most meaningful ways above this kind of politics.

He did so much more good in not winning that way than Rand could possibly do in winning this way.

Enjoy wallowing in the slop with the likes of Benton and the rest of the GOP trash.

sailingaway
01-26-2013, 11:04 PM
I'm a saboteur if I'm troubled by Rand's comments?

I'll tell you what - you can have this movement, then. What made this movement special was Ron's principled, unwavering positions, and the people who were inspired by him and those positions. Ron was in the most meaningful ways above this kind of politics.

Some may want to do things one way but I think you will find a lot of like minded people to continue a different path.

A Son of Liberty
01-26-2013, 11:11 PM
Some may want to do things one way but I think you will find a lot of like minded people to continue a different path.

I'm more than a little annoyed to read that I'm apparently an idiot because I can't decipher the complex coded language Rand is using... it seems taking apparent pro-imperial foreign policy stances "really" means that he isn't pro-imperial foreign policy? Sorry - I cut my teeth with a politician who said what he meant, and meant what he said.

But I'm especially tired - almost done - with these people running around this forum telling people like me that we're "saboteurs". Quite frankly, whatever Rand's comments may actually mean, this movement was about principle. So if Rand is playing games, and people are on board with that, THEY'RE THE SABOTEURS. And they can "get f'd" (as I've seen them suggest, to us).

sailingaway
01-26-2013, 11:22 PM
I'm more than a little annoyed to read that I'm apparently an idiot because I can't decipher the complex coded language Rand is using... it seems taking apparent pro-imperial foreign policy stances "really" means that he isn't pro-imperial foreign policy? Sorry - I cut my teeth with a politician who said what he meant, and meant what he said.

But I'm especially tired - almost done - with these people running around this forum telling people like me that we're "saboteurs". Quite frankly, whatever Rand's comments may actually mean, this movement was about principle. So if Rand is playing games, and people are on board with that, THEY'RE THE SABOTEURS. And they can "get f'd" (as I've seen them suggest, to us).

I'm for principles.

TheTyke
01-26-2013, 11:35 PM
Whenever these flareups occur, chiefly when one of our candidates starts gaining too much ground, it is prompted by media stories (or in this case, an abruptly ended quote from a video.) It is then pushed by people who either love a big argument or are trying to divide the movement (in this case, Agorism.) Then, as people debate them, even sincere and good people get caught up in the arguments. But yes, there are saboteurs. Any political movement threatened by us would be wise to employ them. It's basic strategy.

It's important to realize where these "controversies" come from, and how we get directed into blasting our own while not even mentioning (or knowing the names of) hundreds who are far more opposed to our principles and work against them on a daily basis.

cajuncocoa
01-26-2013, 11:36 PM

I owe you another +rep *applause!!*