PDA

View Full Version : Tina Turner Gives Up U.S. Passport

green73
01-25-2013, 11:43 AM
AFP - US pop legend Tina Turner, who has been living in Switzerland since 1995, will soon receive Swiss citizenship and will give up her US passport, Swiss media reported Friday.

"I'm very happy in Switzerland and I feel at home here. ... I cannot imagine a better place to live," Turner told German language daily Blick.

Turner, 73, who was born Anna Mae Bullock, lives in picturesque town of Kuesnacht, on the shores of Lake Zurich in northern Switzerland, and has passed a local civics test and interview, according to an official announcement published in the Zuerichsee-Zeitung daily.

The woman behind such hits as "Private Dancer", "Simply the Best" and "What's Love Got to Do With It?" will still need a green light from the canton of Zurich as well was federal authorities before she can receive red passport, the two papers reported.

Turner spokeswoman Karin Rhomberg told the Zuerichsee-Zeitung that the singer wanted to "clarify her situation".

"Tina Turner will therefore also give back her US citizenship," she said.

Turner, who has learned German, reportedly moved to Switzerland in 1995 when her longtime partner, German record executive Erwin Bach, was transferred here.

http://www.france24.com/en/20130125-tina-turner-become-swiss-give-us-passport

Confederate
01-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Uh oh...that makes her a 'prohibited person' when it comes to firearms!

LibertyEagle
01-25-2013, 12:07 PM
My best wishes to her.

Confederate
01-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Are her legs still insured?

paulbot24
01-25-2013, 12:11 PM
I expected to hear she went to Columbia.

aGameOfThrones
01-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Turner was asked, "why don't you love the U.S?" she replied, " what's love got o do with it?"

Yeah, yeah, I'm lame.

Confederate
01-25-2013, 12:13 PM
I don't get why she's renouncing her citizenship. Michele Bachmann is a dual Swiss-American citizen.

green73
01-25-2013, 12:16 PM
I don't get why she's renouncing her citizenship. Michele Bachmann is a dual Swiss-American citizen.

Michele dropped it after catching heat for not being patriotic enough.

Do you really have to ask why someone would give up their US citizenship?

Confederate
01-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Do you really have to ask why someone would give up their US citizenship?

No, I know why. Because they hate God and liberty.

green73
01-25-2013, 12:27 PM

True dat!

oyarde
01-25-2013, 12:57 PM

Why does it say " array" under member ? Why does it say member at all ? I find these things perplexing....

QuickZ06
01-25-2013, 12:58 PM

Those pieces of shit.

QuickZ06
01-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Why does it say " array" under member ? Why does it say member at all ? I find these things perplexing....

Mine says disarray.....

Pericles
01-25-2013, 01:16 PM

Because the IRS will constantly f*ck with you about you taxes owed in the US to them, using the US tax code to do the audit, ignoring the provisions of the US tax treaty with Switzerland, which being a treaty, takes precedence over the tax code. After incompetently doing an audit, they will then try to f*ck with your bank.

In the case of one year, I'm now down to arguing about the $64 in penalties and interest on the adjusted amount of tax that was agreed was assessed in error on the part of the IRS. If I hadn't already had a bank account in Switzerland before the blow up from a few years back, I'd be totally hosed instead of partially hosed.

Anti Federalist
01-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Because the IRS will constantly f*ck with you about you taxes owed in the US to them, using the US tax code to do the audit, ignoring the provisions of the US tax treaty with Switzerland, which being a treaty, takes precedence over the tax code. After incompetently doing an audit, they will then try to f*ck with your bank.

In the case of one year, I'm now down to arguing about the $64 in penalties and interest on the adjusted amount of tax that was agreed was assessed in error on the part of the IRS. If I hadn't already had a bank account in Switzerland before the blow up from a few years back, I'd be totally hosed instead of partially hosed.

They don't let go easy do they?

Pericles
01-25-2013, 02:09 PM
They don't let go easy do they?

Once you file the case at the Tax Court, they cave in quickly once you can demonstrate that the IRS can't even follow its own rules.

brushfire
01-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Hit me again Ike, and put some stank on it! - liar liar

More seriously, I'm glad she's happy, and I wish her all the best.

I expect more affluent Americans to be migrating out of country and renouncing their US citizenship. There are other countries which are more hospitable to the so called "eeeevil fat cats".

thoughtomator
01-25-2013, 02:21 PM
As your government becomes more and more desperate for revenue, it becomes less and less safe to be wealthy. Renunciation of US citizenship has gone parabolic recently, and the Kafkaesque tax situation is a large part of it. Thanks to laws like FACTA, holding a US passport means that many institutions in many countries simply won't do business with you at all (esp. financial institutions) so as not to be exposed to the US government's revenuers.

satchelmcqueen
01-25-2013, 04:35 PM
good for her. best of luck!

mport1
01-25-2013, 05:42 PM
Good for her. One less tax slave for the government to use to fund their war machine.

BAllen
01-25-2013, 05:56 PM
I'm waiting for the libtards to brand her a traitor for reaping the benefits of our system, and then avoiding her duty to pay taxes.