PDA

View Full Version : Newt Gingrich: Piers Morgan’s gun ‘propaganda’

itshappening
01-25-2013, 06:59 AM
Newt Gingrich said Thursday that lawmakers should have gun reform hearings in Chicago, which he called the “murder capital” of the country and decried “propaganda” from the media and the left about military style assault weapons.

“Let’s have hearings in Chicago” the former GOP presidential candidate said on CNN to anchor Piers Morgan. “Chicago has very strict gun control and was the murder capital of the U.S. last year, over 500 people were killed. Why is it that the people who are for gun control don’t want to go to Chicago to find out why gun control has failed so much?”

Gingrich, who is also the former Republican House speaker, sparred with Morgan about his questioning when Morgan referred to an AR15 as a “military style assault weapon.”

“It’s not a military style assault weapon. This is lovely propaganda,” Gingrich said.

“It can fire a hundred bullets a minute — what else would you call it?” Morgan asked.

“This is lovely propaganda… I would simply say to you that millions of people by your own definition own an AR15. They are law abiding and they think it’s their right to own it under the Constitution.”

Earlier Thursday, Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) unveiled new legislation similar to an assault weapons ban that expired in 2004. Feinstein’s plan comes after President Barack Obama offered a similar plan of his own in wake of the Dec. 14 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., where 20 children and six others were killed.

Gingrich went on to say that many Republicans are hesitant to pass weapons bans because they feel it goes against the Second Amendment, which protects Americans rights to bear arms. Gingrich then drew from Revolutionary War history to Morgan, who is British.

“And we actually think that the Second Amendment is central to our liberties – not just something there for hunters, not something there for target practice – but actually something there because the Founding Fathers remembered that when your army tried to defeat us,” Gingrich said, “luckily our peasants weren’t peasants, they were citizens and as citizens they were in fact armed and that’s the only reason we were able to win the Revolutionary War.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/newt-gingrich-piers-morgans-gun-propaganda-86711.html#ixzz2IzY9of3x

Danke
01-25-2013, 07:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OsVjqyK6_Y

tod evans
01-25-2013, 08:36 AM
I can't bring myself to watch these two blathering idiots, thanks for the written synopsis..

Acala
01-25-2013, 09:07 AM
Don't think for a second that Gingrich wouldn't take your gun and happily have you killed to do it if it advanced his power one millimeter. He is the worst kind of demagoguing fascist piece of crap on the face of the Earth. And note that he never brings himself to say that the Second Amendment is primarily about facing down your OWN government. That is a litmus test for politicians. Only the REAL supporters of the Second Amendment will tell the truth about its real purpose.

VBRonPaulFan
01-25-2013, 09:09 AM
you give up 10% of your principle for practicality - and you've given up 100% of the foundation of your argument.

i would say Newt is pro-gun but not for the right reasons. however, he did put Piers in his place on quite a few issues. Newt just looked stupid, though, when he said he was ok with the full on assault weapons ban (the one that doesn't allow citizens to allow fully auto-weapons), but wasn't okay with banning assault rifle style semi-auto's.

scrosnoe
01-25-2013, 09:58 AM
I'd put Senator Nathan Dahm (Oklahoma) up against either one of them any day of the week!
see video here >>> http://r3publican.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/senator-nathan-dahm-speaks-to-thousands-at-the-guns-across-america-rally-in-okc/

jtap
01-25-2013, 12:42 PM
I'd put Senator Nathan Dahm (Oklahoma) up against either one of them any day of the week!
see video here >>> http://r3publican.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/senator-nathan-dahm-speaks-to-thousands-at-the-guns-across-america-rally-in-okc/

Nice video. I would be more than happy to have Nathan Dahm as my Senator.

XNavyNuke
01-25-2013, 01:08 PM
Don't think for a second that Gingrich wouldn't take your gun and happily have you killed to do it if it advanced his power one millimeter.

On this particular issue, I disagree with you. I happen to believe that the speaker fully understands the real reason behind the 2nd. I will remind you that when he had the opportunity to use his vote to curry favor that he voted against the Brady bill in '91 and the AWB in '94. While '94 was the prelude to his rise as speaker, '91 was far enough away I don't think any pol has that long range vision.

That's pretty much where my support of him ends. Its like that broken clock being right twice a day.

XNN