PDA

View Full Version : LA-Cops kill 60 y/o woman. Cops say she had a gun. Family says bullsh!t.

Anti Federalist
01-24-2013, 07:00 PM
I don't even know why I'm posting this, we all know that LA PD would never lie.

All over a broken headlight traffic stop...

On the surface, this one stinks.

60-year-old woman fatally shot by St. John the Baptist deputy after failed traffic stop

A 60-year-old LaPlace woman was shot and killed by a rookie sheriff's deputy after she allegedly shot at the officer during a traffic stop stemming from a broken headlight early Thursday, authorities said.

Story by Juliet Linderman and Helen Freund

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2013/01/60-year-old_woman_fatally_shot.html

The deputy involved, Steven Daley, 35, started at the St. John the Baptist Sheriff's Office in August 2012, a spokesman said. Around 1:40 a.m. Thursday, Daley activated his lights and sirens to pull over Barbara Lassere for a headlight-related traffic violation near the intersection of Elm and West 5th streets in LaPlace, said Trooper Melissa Matey, a spokeswoman for the Louisiana State Police.

Matey said that Lassere refused to get out of the car when she was stopped and instead brandished a revolver before fleeing the scene.

Woman fatally shot by St. John the Baptist Parish sheriff's deputy

Woman fatally shot by St. John the Baptist Parish sheriff's deputy Law enforcement officials work at the scene after a St. John the Baptist Parish Sheriff's deputy shot and killed a woman in LaPlace early Thursday, January 24, 2013.

Authorities say the woman refused to get out of the car and fired at least one shot in the direction of the deputy. The deputy then returned fire at the woman, fatally injuring her. Watch video

Daley then engaged in a slow-speed chase, following Lassere to a nearby residence at West Second and Pine streets where, police say, Lassere then again refused to exit the car and instead fired a shot at Daley.

Daley returned fire, hitting Lassere in the chest and killing her, Matey said.

St. John Parish Sheriff Mike Tregre said State Police will handle the investigation into the shooting. He said that is routine procedure whenever a deputy is involved in such an incident.

While police say the revolver Lassere fired was recovered as evidence, family members of Lassere's at the scene Thursday said that she was never known to carry a gun and was "scared" of police.

"My sister was a great person," said Lassere's sister, Dorothy Fobb, 62.

"She didn't deal with a lot of people; she was very quiet and took care of her daughter. They say that she had a weapon -- Barbara never carried a gun," said Fobb.

Family members said that the shooting happened in the rear of Lassere's parent's home.

Lassere's niece, Angela Moore, 32, said she was inside of the house when the shooting happened.

"I heard four shots and I looked out the window and there were lots of police and a policeman with a big gun in his hands. I was scared and he told me to go next door," Moore said.

"Something has to be done about what happened with her because it wasn't right. Nobody in the family has a gun. They could've knocked the glass out, they could have sprayed mace in her eyes -- instead they took somebody's mother," she said.

Tregre said Daley, who works in the K-9 unit, has been placed on administrative leave.

An autopsy will be performed, and a toxicology report prepared, at a later date, Matey said. Lassere's son, Norvel Lassere, 40, said doctors at River Parishes Hospital in LaPlace told him that his mother suffered multiple gunshot wounds, and that the bullet that killed her allegedly entered through the back of her shoulder, pierced her heart, and exited through her chest. Lassere said the doctor also mentioned at least two other bullet wounds, in his mother's leg and arm.

"We're trying to put the pieces together. Everybody knows my mom didn't hurt anybody, my mom didn't bother anybody. For them to gun her down like a dog, I don't understand it."

Norvel Lessere lived with his mother and sister, Dawn Lassere, 36, in LaPlace. He said he received a call at roughly 3 a.m. Thursday morning from a family member, who told him his mother had been shot and killed. Norvel said he arrived at the scene shortly thereafter, and then went to the hospital. He said he tried to see his mother's body, but was denied access by deputies on the scene.

"I wanted to see her at the hospital, to pay my final respects, and to tell her I love her," he said.

While Norvel Lessere was unsure whether his mother owned or carried a firearm, he said she was a peaceful person who kept to herself.

"She stayed to herself, she cooked every day, she never missed a meal," he said. "I can't see her going off and doing something like this, I really can't."

Tregre said it appears at this point that Daley was justified in using deadly force.

"I wish things had turned out differently, and I'm sorry for the loss to the family," Tregre said. "But I believe the findings of the investigation will show that the officer acted justifiably."

Thursday's incident marks the third time in recent months that St. John sheriff's deputies have been involved in shootings.

In a crime that stunned the community last August, four deputies were shot -- two fatally -- by a transient group with ties to a domestic terrorist organization. Three members of the group were injured during a gun battle with deputies. And later in August, deputies responding to a domestic disturbance shot a man and woman who authorities said were armed and refused to drop their weapons as they approached deputies. The man and woman later died.

phill4paul
01-24-2013, 07:12 PM
In a crime that stunned the community last August, four deputies were shot -- two fatally -- by a transient group with ties to a domestic terrorist. organization

Wow. Had to throw that in their huh?

ETA: Ah I thought I remembered this one....

http://news.yahoo.com/suspects-deputy-killings-linked-extremists-005244499.html

AGRP
01-24-2013, 07:23 PM
I don't even know why I'm posting this, we all know that LA PD would never lie.

All over a broken headlight traffic stop...

On the surface, this one stinks.

An autopsy will be performed, and a toxicology report prepared, at a later date, Matey said. Lassere's son, Norvel Lassere, 40, said doctors at River Parishes Hospital in LaPlace told him that his mother suffered multiple gunshot wounds, and that the bullet that killed her allegedly entered through the back of her shoulder, pierced her heart, and exited through her chest. Lassere said the doctor also mentioned at least two other bullet wounds, in his mother's leg and arm.

Ya think?

Anti Federalist
01-24-2013, 07:30 PM
Wow. Had to throw that in their huh?

ETA: Ah I thought I remembered this one....

http://news.yahoo.com/suspects-deputy-killings-linked-extremists-005244499.html

We all are "tied to domestic terrorist groups".

aGameOfThrones
01-24-2013, 08:06 PM
family members of Lassere's at the scene Thursday said that she was never known to carry a gun and was "scared" of police.

Wonder why...

satchelmcqueen
01-24-2013, 08:45 PM
im tied to a terrorist group...my government!

Danke
01-24-2013, 08:59 PM
I should be standard practice as a cop, to chill, not get upset, and to let the person you are trying to pull over the right to continue to a well light public place, like a gas station.

Henry Rogue
01-24-2013, 09:21 PM
In the movies "bad cops" always carry a spare piece in case they need to plant it on someone. Bet a lot of them carry a spare just in case they mistaken a cell phone or something for a gun and blow some mundane away.

Anti Federalist
01-25-2013, 02:13 PM
Balko thinks this one stinks as well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/the-agitator

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2013/01/60-year-old_woman_fatally_shot.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

AFPVet
01-25-2013, 02:38 PM
I should be standard practice as a cop, to chill, not get upset, and to let the person you are trying to pull over the right to continue to a well light public place, like a gas station.

That's actually what we used to recommend because a lot of people were impersonating.... I say 'used to' because I have no idea what these so called police are doing now. It used to be that we had a real Use of Force Continuum... a lot has changed evidently.