PDA

View Full Version : [Video] Rand Paul Questions Sec of State Nominee John Kerry 1/24/13

tsai3904
01-24-2013, 02:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmMrKdpEWQg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmMrKdpEWQg

itshappening
01-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Expert waffling from Kerry and running down the clock.

He didn't like to be reminded of the Cambodia position.

Rand should have also mentioned his 1991 opposition to the iraq war but conversion to its cause 10 years later.

He's a complete phoney.

anaconda
01-24-2013, 05:32 PM
Kerry sounded far less sophisticated than I would have expected. Almost like an uninformed bumbler. Rand had him off guard the whole time. Kerry kept nervously fidgeting with his pen the whole time.

tsai3904
01-24-2013, 05:34 PM
Kerry sounded far less sophisticated than I would have expected. Almost like an uninformed bumbler. Rand had him off guard the whole time. Kerry kept nervously fidgeting with his pen the whole time.

Its probably because the entire hearing before Rand was a love fest praising his years of service and asking him soft ball questions.

anaconda
01-24-2013, 05:37 PM
He's a complete phoney.

A total establishment tool. Groomed for years to grease the NWO. Skull & Bones even.

cajuncocoa
01-24-2013, 08:13 PM
I'm so embarrassed that I voted for that man in 2004...just goes to show how bad George W. Bush was. :rolleyes:

american.swan
01-24-2013, 08:35 PM
Rand is batting a 1000.

He is awesome.

Jon311
01-24-2013, 08:56 PM
A+ for Rand. He outclassed Kerry by a long mile. Kerry didn't know what hit him and was tip-toeing around questions and just rambling. I love how Rand interrupted Kerry's rambling on more than one occasion.

Rudeman
01-24-2013, 09:03 PM
Article in yahoo:
hxxp://news.yahoo.com/kerry-rand-paul-foreign-policy-not-black-white-235018902--abc-news-politics.html

The comments as per usual are infiltrated with idiots.

itshappening
01-24-2013, 09:12 PM
Article in yahoo:
hxxp://news.yahoo.com/kerry-rand-paul-foreign-policy-not-black-white-235018902--abc-news-politics.html

The comments as per usual are infiltrated with idiots.

Yahoo! comments are very well reflective of the general uninformed masses.

Sola_Fide
01-24-2013, 09:13 PM
Cutting aid is a "draconian, sledgehammer approach" to foreign affairs?

Dystopian
01-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Its things like the first part of this video where he's hammering Kerry on Libya that makes me really want to wholeheartedly support Rand.....but then he goes straight into the Israeli ass-kissing and demonization of Egypt and Pakistan. I don't really understand why almost every thing I hear him say has to be so over-the-top with praise for Israel and fear-mongering towards Arabs, Pakistanis, and Persians. Sometimes it seems like he's trying to one-up the neocons with pro-Israel rhetoric.

He brings up the fact that he thinks we should cut off aid to Pakistan because they are holding Afridi, well I want to know if Rand supports the U.S. president authorizing raids inside a sovereign country that we did not declare war on. Ive never heard Rand come out in opposition to that. Why is he against the president unilaterally authorizing an attack on Libya but for the president unilaterally authorizing an attack on Pakistan?

supermario21
01-24-2013, 10:46 PM
Its things like the first part of this video where he's hammering Kerry on Libya that makes me really want to wholeheartedly support Rand.....but then he goes straight into the Israeli ass-kissing and demonization of Egypt and Pakistan. I don't really understand why almost every thing I hear him say has to be so over-the-top with praise for Israel and fear-mongering towards Arabs, Pakistanis, and Persians. Sometimes it seems like he's trying to one-up the neocons with pro-Israel rhetoric.

He brings up the fact that he thinks we should cut off aid to Pakistan because they are holding Afridi, well I want to know if Rand supports the U.S. president authorizing raids inside a sovereign country that we did not declare war on. Ive never heard Rand come out in opposition to that. Why is he against the president unilaterally authorizing an attack on Libya but for the president unilaterally authorizing an attack on Pakistan?

Yes, but Rand is pretty much smooth-talking the Israel BS and sucking everyone in. Rand is taking the pragmatic approach to Ron's goals, and it's having a lot of success.

SpreadOfLiberty
01-24-2013, 10:50 PM

We actually did get the congressional authorization on that beforehand, unlike Iraq.

Brett85
01-24-2013, 10:55 PM

Nothing Rand said went against non interventionist principles in any way. You shouldn't expect him to share your hatred for Israel.

Brett85
01-24-2013, 10:56 PM
And the authorization that was passed after 9-11 gave us the authority to kill Osama Bin Laden.

cocrehamster
01-24-2013, 10:58 PM

Because he needs to go over the top to show that he is not "anti-Israel" since he ultimately wants to end aid to them too, and a large portion of the voting base that he will need support from to win are very pro Israel. He's trying to not get portrayed as being "extreme" like they make Ron out to be. He's picking his battles. He saw how his Dad was treated after spending decades as the most honest man in Washington by the media in smear campaigns. If any supporter of Liberty can't get behind Rand then they may as well give up altogether.

Occam's Banana
01-24-2013, 11:50 PM
I'm so embarrassed that I voted for that man in 2004...just goes to show how bad George W. Bush was. :rolleyes:

Hell, I voted for Clinton in 1992 for essentially the same reason - because I hated Bush the First so much ...

It was a valuable lesson in the futility of the lesser-of-two-evils approach.

devil21
01-25-2013, 03:15 AM
OK....so who thought about this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKO7BxNNhMk

That debate was 5 years ago yesterday.

LibertyEagle
01-25-2013, 03:20 AM
^^^ I loved the look on Ron's face. lol. McCain is just pitiful. How scary that he even came within a football field of becoming President.

devil21
01-25-2013, 03:36 AM

His position doesn't sound very different than Ron's. It's not ass kissing to advocate not giving money and weapons to Israel's enemies, assuming we also stop arming Israel. This is what Ron has been saying for a long time. Ron isn't anti-Israel. Ron is anti-payingoffgovernments. Your join date says you might be new here. THat's cool but please read up on Ron's rhetoric on Israel and the Middle east. Rand's is the same. I could see his dad in his line of questioning.

I would like to hear his specific viewpoint on drone strikes. It hasn't come up yet.

Feeding the Abscess
01-25-2013, 04:50 AM
His position doesn't sound very different than Ron's. It's not ass kissing to advocate not giving money and weapons to Israel's enemies, assuming we also stop arming Israel. This is what Ron has been saying for a long time. Ron isn't anti-Israel. Ron is anti-payingoffgovernments. Your join date says you might be new here. THat's cool but please read up on Ron's rhetoric on Israel and the Middle east. Rand's is the same. I could see his dad in his line of questioning.

I would like to hear his specific viewpoint on drone strikes. It hasn't come up yet.

Rand's position is that Israel's aid will continue until some point after Egypt's, Pakistan's, etc is turned off. He's shifted pretty significantly since his initial "no foreign aid" stance.

He reiterated in his interview with Breitbart News his opposition to foreign aid, but again noted that he favors cutting aid off first to anti-American countries before ultimately cutting it off to American allies like Israel.

Also, this:

http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/25/rand-paul-u-s-should-make-clear-to-world-any-attack-on-israel-will-be-treated-as-an-attack-on-the-united-states/

Asked whether the United States would stand with Israel and provide it foreign aid if the Jewish state were attacked by its enemies, Paul went a step further.

“Well absolutely we stand with Israel,” he said in an interview with Breitbart News, “but what I think we should do is announce to the world – and I think it is pretty well known — that any attack on Israel will be treated as an attack on the United States.”

Is a complete disaster.

Danke
01-25-2013, 05:46 AM
Rand's position is that Israel's aid will continue until some point after Egypt's, Pakistan's, etc is turned off. He's shifted pretty significantly since his initial "no foreign aid" stance.

Also, this:

http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/25/rand-paul-u-s-should-make-clear-to-world-any-attack-on-israel-will-be-treated-as-an-attack-on-the-united-states/

Is a complete disaster.

We have treaties to keep the supply routes open with military force if Israel is at war.

Jon311
01-25-2013, 08:39 AM
Because he needs to go over the top to show that he is not "anti-Israel" since he ultimately wants to end aid to them too, and a large portion of the voting base that he will need support from to win are very pro Israel. He's trying to not get portrayed as being "extreme" like they make Ron out to be. He's picking his battles. He saw how his Dad was treated after spending decades as the most honest man in Washington by the media in smear campaigns. If any supporter of Liberty can't get behind Rand then they may as well give up altogether.

This.

Lucille
01-25-2013, 10:52 AM
Rand Paul to John Kerry: Why is it OK to bomb Libya but not Cambodia w/o Congress's Approval?
http://reason.com/blog/2013/01/25/rand-paul-to-john-kerry-why-is-it-ok-to

Above is a great conversation between Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) and the failed 2004 presidential candidate, who got his start in public life by (rightly) denouncing the Vietnam War in which he had served. Among the basic questions that Paul asks of Kerry: If the U.S. was wrong to bomb Cambodia without congressional authorization (and it was), then why was it A-OK for Obama to join in bombing runs over Libya?

Another excellent question raised by Paul: Why are we sending big fancy fighter jets to Egypt even as the leader of that country is going full Capt. Queeg, with a fixation on the Jews standing in for obsession about stolen strawberries?

This sort of common-sense exploration of the WTF that is U.S. foreign policy should be at the forefront of any American who gives a hell about limited, legitimate government and the Constitution.

Which helps to explain why Paul is about the only guy in the Senate making such inquiries: Most of the folks there couldn't care less about the Constitution. That Rand Paul is so often alone in his line of thinking is sad and disturbing, but it's also one more reason why he is "the most interesting man in the Senate."