PDA

View Full Version : Child predator sting stopped when police realize suspect is a cop. Retired with benefits.

TywinLannister
01-23-2013, 08:05 PM
The handling of the case involving former Worcester Police Officer Neil Shea and his ensnarement in a sting operation targeting sex predators might have some wondering whether the priority of law enforcement is to protect and serve the community, or to protect and serve itself.

That is understandable.

How can you explain the abrupt termination of the online conversation in which Mr. Shea appeared to have been deeply engrossed in a highly improper chat-room encounter with an undercover officer, whom he believed to be a 14-year-old girl?

We are told Mr. Shea did not commit any crime, but that it was determined by Police Chief Gary Gemme that Mr. Shea committed several violations, including incompetence, neglect of duty and conduct unbecoming an officer.

Mr. Shea resigned before the investigation, in which all allegations were sustained, was completed. He is free to receive all retirement benefits.

Good for him, but one has to ask whether the community was served by this process.

According to the disciplinary files on the case, we know that the sting operation was mounted by the Worcester district attorney’s office and other state and local police departments and agencies, including Worcester police.

We know that at some point during Mr. Shea’s online conversation with the undercover officer, law enforcement officials discovered the Worcester police officer’s identity. This discovery was based partly on tracing the cellphone number Mr. Shea provided online to the undercover officer.

We know that once his identity was discovered, someone from the command post alerted the Worcester Police Department Detective Bureau, which confirmed that Mr. Shea was indeed a member of the department.

We know that once this confirmation was made someone decided to terminate the conversation with Mr. Shea.

We know that the termination was suggested by the Worcester Detective Bureau on the grounds that if Officer Shea had not at that point made “any offers, or broken any law, and that he had not crossed the line, then we should just move on to other more promising subjects.”

<snip>

Regardless, all of this leads me to believe that the issue wasn’t whether Mr. Shea had committed any crime, but that local law enforcement officials didn’t want to know if he would, thus leaving the community in jeopardy.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20130123/COLUMN44/101239887

kathy88
01-23-2013, 08:39 PM
I wonder how big the book would be if we compiled all these stories of the JUSTus guys getting out of bad shit? Kind of like Rand did, with the EPA in his latest book. Maybe without the dumbed down language though...

devil21
01-23-2013, 10:11 PM
Two sets of laws, one for us and another for them. Par for the course.

paulbot24
01-24-2013, 07:05 AM
"...we should just move on to other more promising subjects."

More promising as in what? Some dude trying to arrange a menage a trios with a couple of ten year olds? Not to mention that this guy was moving pretty fast as he'd already given out his cell-phone number to the "girl." I'm sure he wasn't ACTUALLY going to carry it out though.....I never had any idea about the level of corruption hidden behind the badge until I joined these forums.:eek:

phill4paul
01-24-2013, 07:10 AM
"...we should just move on to other more promising subjects."

More promising as in what? Some dude trying to arrange a menage a trios with a couple of ten year olds? Not to mention that this guy was moving pretty fast as he'd already given out his cell-phone number to the "girl." I'm sure he wasn't ACTUALLY going to carry it out though.....I never had any idea about the level of corruption hidden behind the badge until I joined these forums.:eek:

If every American read this forum there would be pitchforks and torches in every city hall and police station across the nation.

tangent4ronpaul
01-24-2013, 07:16 AM
We had another thread recently about widespread incidences of this happening, including in the senior ranks of the justice dept recently. Maybe we should join a few of these threads and make them a sticky...

I've only seen one news report of this happening, but it's funny when a sting, stings a sting. For it to work in this case, the cop would have to be going after a ring, which clearly isn't the case - but your post reminded me of it. Sorry, no link - it was 3-4 years ago.

-t

tangent4ronpaul
01-24-2013, 07:19 AM
If every American read this forum there would be pitchforks and torches in every city hall and police station across the nation.

https://members.premiereinteractive.com/ows-img/glennbeck/pages/28585/41410_34370.htm#

https://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/13614/1/www.palmcoastd.com/ows-img/glennbeck/products/torches-pitch-big.jpg

:D

Keep meaning to order a couple!

-t

devil21
01-24-2013, 04:16 PM
And if you're not a cop.......

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Mooresville-business-man-arrested-in-child-sex-sting-188245081.html

MOORESVILLE, N.C. – A Mooresville man was among 50 people arrested during an online child exploitation sting last week.

Richard Dennis Johnson, 47, was arrested on January 8 in Oviedo, Florida after investigators said he traveled there to meet a teen.

Johnson, a Lowe’s employee, is accused of meeting the teen online then traveling there to meet in person and have sex. He was one of 50 people arrested in “Operation Cardea” by the Seminole County Sheriff’s Office.

“Individuals arrested ranged from age 19 to 60 and included a teacher, a tourist visiting from Turkey, school employees, college students, and a man on business from North Carolina,” the FBI said in a statement.

No cops on the list.

ravedown
01-24-2013, 04:44 PM
the chief wiggum level of stupidity is priceless...."Latenightcop171" ? i guess pedocop69 was taken?

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
01-24-2013, 05:20 PM
Two sets of laws, one for us and another for them. Par for the course.

It is said that a Roman emperor during the time of Christ was the first one to decide to leave boys out of his harem. As this broke with long time tradition, it angered the people. A return to tyranny is a return to pedophilia. Or, to put it another way, the problem starts at the top and oozes down. Why is there so much divorce? Well, it is because we have been divorced by our government. Why are there so many dead beat dads? Well, it is because we are being ruled by deadbeats. Why is there so much pedophilia? Well, you get the picture.
In the end, we don't want to live like emperors and kings. The type of happiness our Founders were talking about wasn't similar to the types of pleasures enjoyed by kings when they would take a romp through one of their harems. We got to go uphill so we can enjoy going downhill. The problem our nation has today is too many of the offspring of the super wealthy are skiing down the slope and traveling up the ski lift. In other words, it is all downhill for them. It is a drunkards life.

tod evans
01-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Any member of the "Just-Us" department accused of a crime must be cut from the heard and tried as an individual in the court of public opinion.

I sincerely hope we get there sooner than later...

kcchiefs6465
01-24-2013, 05:32 PM
Any member of the "Just-Us" department accused of a crime must be cut from the heard and tried as an individual in the court of public opinion.

I sincerely hope we get there sooner than later...
I do not agree with this. I want an impartial judge, jury and prosecutor.. The main problem lies in finding an impartial judge and prosecutor. Seems that that is too much to ask for. Oh, and I believe in an eye for an eye in certain flagrant cases. (obvious/admitted) I don't see that as an unreasonable request.

asurfaholic
01-24-2013, 05:46 PM
He didn't commit any crimes, ok? Time to move on and catch the lowlifes who actually WOULD commit a crime. Cant waste police resources investigating the police. Whoever thunk that stupid idea up?

/sarc

tod evans
01-24-2013, 05:51 PM
I do not agree with this. I want an impartial judge, jury and prosecutor.. The main problem lies in finding an impartial judge and prosecutor. Seems that that is too much to ask for. Oh, and I believe in an eye for an eye in certain flagrant cases. (obvious/admitted) I don't see that as an unreasonable request.

The theory of an impartial judicial system in our current legal arena is only a pipe dream.

As more folks fall into the trap of the legal system more will become aware of the reality that is them-vs-us...

Currently the court system is closed and citizens are barely tolerated on juries, in fact every effort is made to avoid jury trials..

Just like everything the government gets involved with the judicial system is broken.........Maybe if we pass more laws and throw more money at the problem government can fix itself........

NOT!:mad:

AGRP
01-24-2013, 05:58 PM
The handling of the case involving former Worcester Police Officer Neil Shea and his ensnarement in a sting operation targeting sex predators might have some wondering whether the priority of law enforcement is to protect and serve the community, or to protect and serve itself.

Something tells me that Clive at the telegram knows the answer to that :)