PDA

View Full Version : Half-Jewish, Half-Arab Woman Sues FBI, TSA, Frontier Airlines Over 9/11/11 Strip Search

Lucille
01-23-2013, 05:36 PM
Half-Jewish, Half-Arab Woman Sues FBI, TSA, Frontier Airlines Over 9/11 Strip Search
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/half-jewish-half-arab-woman-sues-fbi-tsa/story?id=18292929

A half-Jewish, half-Arab Ohio woman is suing Frontier Airlines, the FBI, TSA and other government agencies after she says was removed at gunpoint from a flight on the tenth anniversary of 9/11, strip-searched and jailed because of her ethnicity.

"I know now that my only crime on that day was an ethnic name and arbitrary seat assignment," said Shoshana Hebshi, a 36-year-old freelance journalist born in California to a Jewish mother and a Saudi father, said at a press conference Tuesday.

In her lawsuit, filed by the ACLU (http://www.aclu.org/racial-justice/ohio-woman-sues-over-unlawful-arrest-resulting-racial-profiling) in Detroit federal court Tuesday, Hebshi alleges she was removed at gunpoint from a Denver to Detroit flight on Sept. 11, 2011, when passengers and flight crew became suspicious after two men of South-Asian descent seated next to her made several trips to the bathroom during the flight.

"As officers boarded the plane," said Hebshi at the press conference, "we were ordered to put our heads down and our arms in front of us. I wondered if there was a fugitive on board. I had no idea they were coming for me. … I was completely shocked and panicked."

Hebshi claims that after she was taken from the plane in handcuffs, she was held in a "dirty cell" at the Detroit Metro Airport for more than four hours. According to the complaint, she was also asked to strip, spread her legs and cough.

The two men who were sitting next to her, also residents of the Detroit metro area, did not know each other or Hebshi. They were forcibly removed from the flight as well and later cleared of any wrong-doing.

"I often think about what would have happened if my twin boys were with me," said Hebshi. "Every time I fly, I wonder if today is the day it's going to happen again."

The lawsuit seeks damages for "unreasonable search and seizure prohibited by the Fourth Amendment, and discrimination prohibited by the federal civil rights laws." In addition to the TSA, the FBI, and Frontier Airlines, the complaint also names ICE and CBP as defendants.

FBI spokeswoman Sandra Berchtold told the AP shortly after the incident that because the flight occurred on the 10th anniversary of 9/11, "all precautions were taken, and any slight inconsistency was taken seriously."

"The public would rather us err on the side of caution than not," said Berchthold.

If that's true, then they deserve to get it good and hard.

Matt Collins
01-23-2013, 06:17 PM
hmmm I wonder which holidays she celebrates?

Smart3
01-23-2013, 06:38 PM
"Half Jewish, Half-Arab"

What a stupid title. She's halachically Jewish and most likely is Muslim, as it is pretty much impossible a Salafi would marry prior to conversion. Less pious groups wouldn't mind waiting.

gwax23
01-23-2013, 07:34 PM
"Half Jewish, Half-Arab"

What a stupid title. She's halachically Jewish and most likely is Muslim, as it is pretty much impossible a Salafi would marry prior to conversion. Less pious groups wouldn't mind waiting.

Agreed I doubt shes Jewish, maybe someone up the family line was at one point but to call her jewish is pointless. Regardless she was treated bad. Fuck TSA etc etc etc. Ive gone through so many similar stories its almost as if Im growing accustomed to this BS.

HOLLYWOOD
01-23-2013, 07:52 PM
Court Ruling Just In...

Judge Rlues: The US Government can do whatever it wants, no matter how illegal. Oh, and the US Attorney General/Justice Dept. just made all illegal government actions, Legal... retroactive back to 1791

There that ends all lawsuits and saves the taxpayers money... :rolleyes:

TywinLannister
01-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Half Jewish Half Arab...feel like I just divided by 0

KCIndy
01-23-2013, 09:28 PM
I remember reading about this when it happened. Ms. Hebshi is a writer/blogger, and the full account of her ordeal is available here:

http://shebshi.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/some-real-shock-and-awe-racially-profiled-and-cuffed-in-detroit/

I'm surprised it took her this long to file the suit. The TSA goons and the Feds put her through hell, and I hope she's able to kick their collective asses but good.