PDA

View Full Version : 230 lb. Hunters Come Across Barking Terrier on the Trail, Shoot the Dog

dannno
01-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Community: Outraged

http://www.independent.com/news/2013/jan/22/dog-shot-and-killed-santa-cruz-trail/

Turns out the Terrier was loved by the local community. Turns out the hunters were from out of town (Los Angeles) which is almost 2 hours away (most people here hate L.A. with a passion).

The comment section is really where it's at here, the comments began by criticizing the owner of the dog for allowing it off-leash and being so far away. Then we find out the dog was only about 20 yards or so ahead of the owner, and was only barking at the hunters for about 10 seconds. One of the hunters starting walking backwards from the dog and fell. He got up, the dog continued to bark aggressively and so he shot it dead.

Then photos of the dog were released.

http://www.edhat.com/daypics2011/billydog1.jpg

http://www.edhat.com/daypics2011/billydog2.jpg

http://www.edhat.com/daypics2011/billydog3.jpg

http://www.edhat.com/daypics2011/billydog5.jpg

The community is outraged. Only a minority of people in the comment section are screaming gun control, I am doing my best to 'disarm' their arguments so to speak.

I brought up that one possible solution is a civil case against the hunters, as it seems possible that the shooting was unwarranted. What do you guys think?

coastie
01-23-2013, 02:54 PM
What do I think? That the owner of the shot dog should have been carrying a gun as well...I'll leave it up to you to choose your own adventure from there.

Anti Federalist
01-23-2013, 02:59 PM
TIL - L.A. cops go hunting.

Acala
01-23-2013, 03:04 PM
I brought up that one possible solution is a civil case against the hunters, as it seems possible that the shooting was unwarranted. What do you guys think?

Sure, as long as the dog was there legally. If the law required the dog to be leashed, then it hurts the case.

erowe1
01-23-2013, 03:15 PM
How could gun control even make any semblance of sense here, unless they literally mean to ban all guns, no matter what the type? It wouldn't take anything special to be able to kill one small dog.

Brian4Liberty
01-23-2013, 04:02 PM
Is domestic dog in season right now? Did they have their dog stamps?

seapilot
01-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Lets see the bite marks. Couple of trigger happy wimps that call themselves hunters. I hope the owner of that dog sues them good.

TywinLannister
01-23-2013, 05:41 PM
If he had shot a deer no one would complain. Or maybe, killing a defenseless deer is just as bad as killing a defenseless dog, hmm?

camp_steveo
01-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Sad

dannno
01-23-2013, 05:56 PM
TIL - L.A. cops go hunting.

lol

youngbuck
01-23-2013, 06:08 PM
Yea, he must've been a cop or was taught how to hunt by a cop.

tod evans
01-23-2013, 06:14 PM
Outlaw stupid people..

erowe1
01-23-2013, 07:06 PM
If he had shot a deer no one would complain. Or maybe, killing a defenseless deer is just as bad as killing a defenseless dog, hmm?

Yeah, whoever owns the deer could sue them for killing their pet too.

sluggo
01-23-2013, 07:14 PM
This sounds like a job for Anonymous........

TywinLannister
01-23-2013, 07:25 PM
Yeah, whoever owns the deer could sue them for killing their pet too.

So its just a property rights issue then? How come I don't see outraged stories posted when somebody throws a rock through a homeowner's window? It's a property rights violation too, and the window probably costs more to replace than the dog.

erowe1
01-23-2013, 07:33 PM
So its just a property rights issue then?
Yes.

TywinLannister
01-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Yes.

I suppose you will will refrain from complaining in cases of animal cruelty as long as the owner was involved then.

Philhelm
01-23-2013, 07:43 PM

The deer isn't someone's property, nor is the deer a domesticated animal that has generally, and historically, received special treatment by humans.

dannno
01-23-2013, 07:51 PM
I suppose you will will refrain from complaining in cases of animal cruelty as long as the owner was involved then.

I'm guessing he would complain to his neighbors and the community so that the person becomes ostracized for treating their dog poorly. But I'm guessing he wouldn't complain to the government on that one.

Matthew5
01-23-2013, 08:32 PM
The comment section is really where it's at here, the comments began by criticizing the owner of the dog for allowing it off-leash and being so far away. Then we find out the dog was only about 20 yards or so ahead of the owner, and was only barking at the hunters for about 10 seconds.

"The report indicated that the dogs were out of sight and perhaps a hundred yards ahead when the incident occurred..."

So which is it? If the dogs were out of sight, how does the owner know how aggressively the dogs were acting toward the hunters?

alucard13mmfmj
01-23-2013, 08:37 PM
The guy shooting the dog, couldve hit the owner unintentionally.

dannno
01-24-2013, 06:15 PM
I got called out for citing these two quotes, is there a reference I can use for them?

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence … From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . the very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference – they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." -George Washington

erowe1
01-24-2013, 06:18 PM
I got called out for citing these two quotes, is there a reference I can use for them?

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence … From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . the very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference – they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." -George Washington

From googling them the first hits are sites listing them as bogus quotes. I don't see any sites that provide the actual source and context.

LibertyEagle
01-24-2013, 06:44 PM

Except for the fact that deer get too numerous and starve to death unless they are thinned out. Beyond that, deer are not pets; they are food.

heavenlyboy34
01-24-2013, 06:59 PM
Except for the fact that deer get too numerous and starve to death unless they are thinned out. Beyond that, deer are not pets; they are food.
And impressive trophies. When I was a kid, I knew a guy whose dad was a hunter and had two or three buck heads as trophies on the family room wall. I was impress. :)