PDA

View Full Version : 60.9% Of All Smokes Go Untaxed In New York; New Hampshire Reaps The Benefits

RonPaulFanInGA
01-21-2013, 11:16 PM
http://hotair.com/archives/2013/01/19/sin-tax-wars-60-9-of-all-smokes-in-ny-go-untaxed/

With all the nonsense that’s been going on in the Empire State of late – especially the Governor’s successful gun rantings - I’d begun to worry that New York was doomed for mediocrity. But for better or worse, you just can’t keep the government of this state down. If we can’t lead in freedom, prosperity or employment, we can at least be the capital of piracy. (Cigarette smuggling piracy, that is.)

The Midland, Mich.-based Mackinac Center has released smuggling reports in 2006 and 2009, in addition to its most recent report covering 2011. In 2006, the Mackinac Center estimated that New York had the fifth highest smuggling rate in the country as 35.81%. In 2008, New York’s state excise tax on cigarettes nearly doubled, going from $1.50 to $2.75 per pack. In the Mackinac Center’s 2009 report, New York rose to number two on the list, with a smuggling rate of 47.35%. State excise taxes rose again in 2010, going from $2.75 to the state’s current $4.35. Not surprisingly, the 190% increase in state excise taxes from 2006 through 2011 catapulted New York to its title as the most smuggled state.

But this still leaves a pressing question. Where are all of these smokes coming from? It’s not as if Al Gore’s global warming has suddenly turned New York into a great place to grow tobacco. According to another analysis, the largest (illegal) exporter of cigarettes to the Big Apple was New Hampshire. How could that happen?

New Hampshire had the highest share of its cigarettes — 26.8 percent — smuggled out of the state. The state cut its tax rate in 2011 by 10 cents to $1.68, still slightly higher than the national average. But it is surrounded by states with much higher tax rates. In Massachusetts, for example, the tax was $2.51 per pack.

If it was easier to get large quantities of cigarettes from a place like Tennessee to New York, that’s where they would be coming from. (You can find Marlboros there for under five bucks a pack today, all taxes included.) But New Hampshire is closer, so their retailers reap the benefits. Meanwhile, Governor Cuomo’s state continues to bleed out cash, thinking that just one more tax hike will finally make the difference and put us back in the black.

Let us know how that works out, Andy.

paulbot24
01-22-2013, 12:02 AM
Now this is a dilemma those blunt liberal tools deserve.
"Uhhh, sir, why don't we just make cigarettes illegal?"
"No, We can't make cigarettes illegal or the Big Tobacco lobbyists won't give us money when we promise them favors. Oh and people still think this is a free country."
"Oh, well, hmmm, I know, we could raise the taxes higher to recoup the money we're losing!"
"No. I think this whole thing might have something to do with the taxes being too high."
"Well, if we can't ban it, and raising the taxes won't work, what can we do?"
SILENCE for a few minutes.....
"Can we call it an emergency and let FEMA figure it out? They can suspend the Constitution!"

Keith and stuff
01-22-2013, 12:03 AM
NH has the highest cigarette sales per capita, the highest profits from cigarette taxes per capita and the 3rd lowest smoking rate. No doubt, people drive from all over New England and parts of New York to NH to buy cigarettes, cigars (tax free), liquor (tax free), wine (lowest prices in New England), beer (lowest prices in New England), soda (lowest prices in New England and while people don't pay recycle deposits in NH, many of the cans are stamped with deposit info for other states so they may be illegally recycled in other states for 5cents each) gas (lowest prices in New England), tires, electronics and so on. It's part of what we call the New Hampshire Advantage. NH makes sure it's taxes on goods are lower than the states that border it. The states that border NH always keep in mind the tax on goods in NH when they consider raising a tax on a good.

This sentence certainly might very well be correct, but I cannot find any evidence in the article about it.
According to another analysis, the largest (illegal) exporter of cigarettes to the Big Apple was New Hampshire. Did anyone see anything about this? Yes, I know that NH is the leading state for smuggling cigarettes out of state. Where is the evidence that the largest share of the cigarettes flowing into NY come from NH?

BTW, an organization did an informal pricing survey of a pack of cigarettes in 2011 and 2012. Here is the map for percentage change in price b/t 2011 and 2012. http://www.theawl.com/2012/06/pack-of-cigarettes-cost
http://www.theawl.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/United-States_awl_fix-e1340814816848.jpg
According to the telephone survey, here is the price of a pack of cigarettes in the 10 least expensive states (it says 51 because DC is included in the survey):
Ranked cheapest to most expensive, name of state, 2011 price, 2012 price, % change
51. West Virginia (last year $4.74): $4.84 = +2%
50. New Hampshire ($5.87): $4.86 = -20%
49. Tennessee ($5.56): $4.91 = -13%
48. North Dakota ($4.91): $5.03 = +2%
47. Idaho ($4.99): $5.11 +2%
46. North Carolina ($5.51): $5.14 = -7%
45. Alabama ($5.27): $5.18 = -2%
44. Colorado ($5.96): $5.19 = -15%
43. Wyoming ($5.50): $5.21 = -6%
42. Oklahoma ($6.19): $5.24 = -18%
41. Virginia ($5.55): $5.43 = -2%

NH has both government and private liquor stores (though, only in areas the government doesn't want to put up stores). Some of the government liquor stores are right up the interstate and open long hours. For example, this store on I-95 is open from 9AM to 9PM on Sunday.
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4117/4929788407_0f172e21b4_z.jpg

youngbuck
01-23-2013, 10:07 AM
I remember living on the southern tier of NY, and most people would make the 5-20 mile drive to PA to get cigarettes by the carton, and then sell individual packs to their friends for still cheaper than NY.

tangent4ronpaul
01-23-2013, 10:16 AM
AWESOME!!!!

-t

TomtheTinker
01-23-2013, 10:28 AM
You can buy Senecas from Indian Res for 18 a carton and easily charge 30 or 40. Fuck taxes..do w.e I can to avoid them.