PDA

View Full Version : Germany initiates gun registry, to barely a peep

RonPaulFanInGA
01-21-2013, 06:05 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/germany-initiates-new-gun-registry/2013/01/19/86bb29f2-60da-11e2-b05a-605528f6b712_story.html

BERLIN — Imagine a vast registry that details every legal gun owner in the country, along with information about all of their firearms.

Now imagine the gun lobby not making a fuss about it.

That’s what has happened in Germany, where a new gun database went into service at the beginning of the year.

Until recently, some records were kept on index cards across what used to be 551 separate local registries. Now, law enforcement officials can sit down at their computers and scroll through lists of owners and their guns in seconds.

Hunting is popular in Germany, and gun manufacturers are plentiful and powerful. But the push toward increased regulation and oversight, spurred by a string of school shootings in recent years, has come with little opposition from gun groups. Many gun advocates say that if cars can be registered and regulated, so can weapons.

Then there's this:

German gun owners must be licensed and pass strict safety exams to use their weapons. Police in Germany have the power to drop by gun owners’ homes to check that the firearms are locked up according to regulations. And few people are allowed to carry guns in public.

Yikes. Between that and being able to be jailed in that country for what essentially amounts to a thought crime, it seems the more things change the more they stay the same.

aGameOfThrones
01-21-2013, 06:43 AM
German gun owners must be licensed and pass strict safety exams to use their weapons. Police in Germany have the power to drop by gun owners’ homes to check that the firearms are locked up according to regulations. And few people are allowed to carry guns in public.

This shit is already in amerika...

01-21-2013, 09:06 AM
Hmm remember what happened the last time the German government did something about gun control? They just pulled back all their gold too. Germany is arguably in the strongest position of all the Euro countries right now.

Confederate
01-21-2013, 09:30 AM
Hmm remember what happened the last time the German government did something about gun control?

In 1972? What happened?

angelatc
01-21-2013, 10:53 AM
This is just how the Germans are. They all march in sync, and they never stop. They're a strong, proud people, but without a lick of personality.

Confederate
01-21-2013, 11:02 AM
This is just how the Germans are. They all march in sync, and they never stop. They're a strong, proud people, but without a lick of personality.

Strong and proud? Nope that ended in 1945. Germans today are castrated cowards for the most part. But what would you expect after 60+ years of indoctrination telling you you're evil and share a collective guilt for things that happened before you were even born.

klamath
01-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Rather a broad statement, don't you think?

RabbitMan
01-21-2013, 11:16 AM
Strong and proud? Nope that ended in 1945. Germans today are castrated cowards for the most part. But what would you expect after 60+ years of indoctrination telling you you're evil and share a collective guilt for things that happened before you were even born.

Have you read about the German university students in the 60s? Or French for that matter? I think you are off your rocker on this one, and I'd add that you shouldn't stereotype a whole nation of people like someone from Stormfront. I know several Germans and they are well balanced, thoughtful people, like some Americans I know.

The difference is Germans and many Europeans have a different view of Government. You enact social change through government and it is there for the expansion of the public good. They have faith in their bureaucrats and so something like a gun registration center is common sense, so that the bad guys or crazy guys can be identified and more likely protected against before it is too late. It's just a different mentality.

RabbitMan
01-21-2013, 11:16 AM
MOD DELETE REPEAT POST

01-21-2013, 01:02 PM
In 1972? What happened?

I think you know I meant in the 30's.

angelatc
01-21-2013, 01:58 PM
Rather a broad statement, don't you think?

Maybe. I formed that opinion after spending a few weeks there. IMHO, they're hard workers, their welfare system works because they're driven to work, but they march in step when they're told to.

THere were plenty of things I liked about Germany. They didn't have safety rails up in places Americans would, and their kids aren't as coddled as ours are.

But all in all, I have no desire to ever visit there, ever again.

klamath
01-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Maybe. I formed that opinion after spending a few weeks there. IMHO, they're hard workers, their welfare system works because they're driven to work, but they march in step when they're told to.

THere were plenty of things I liked about Germany. They didn't have safety rails up in places Americans would, and their kids aren't as coddled as ours are.

You judged 82 million Germans in few weeks?

Tod
01-21-2013, 02:19 PM

I've been there a few times. One time I was out driving around and was on a gravel road in the middle nowhere in Bavaria. I pulled to the edge of the road and started looking at the map when an elderly apparently local man drove up behind me. I waved him around, but he refused. Instead he sat behind me insisting that I get moving. He gave me some dirty looks until I resumed my drive.

On my first trip there, on my last day I was in Munich and I bought some weisswurst and Paulaner hefeweizen. The beer came in a nice glass with the Paulaner logo. I told the vendor I'd like to buy a couple of the glasses from him. Oh no, I don't sell glasses. I sell beer and some food. No glasses. It took a long time to convince him to sell me two glasses and I paid him well for them. Seems like a no-brainer to me if someone offers to buy something for a really good price and I periodically have to restock anyway due to breakage and theft.

I saw a lot of that sort of must-do-things-a-certain-way mentality there. Kinda odd. My brother lived there for a couple years (not in the military, he is just a Deutschphile) and when I told him about it, he agreed that it is a very common trait.

Tod
01-21-2013, 02:22 PM

Obviously not everybody is like that, but it is a predominant trait.

klamath
01-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Obviously not everybody is like that, but it is a predominant trait.
I have heard it said that the predominent trait of Americans is a holier than thou disrespect for other cultures. I have seen foreign visitors completely disrespected in this country just because they coundn't speak english well. I wonder what kind of impression of Americans they returned to their countries with?
I have been to Germany and was treated quite well.

Tod
01-21-2013, 03:35 PM
I have heard it said that the predominent trait of Americans is a holier than thou disrespect for other cultures. I have seen foreign visitors completely disrespected in this country just because they coundn't speak english well. I wonder what kind of impression of Americans they returned to their countries with?
I have been to Germany and was treated quite well.

I didn't say I wasn't treated well on the whole in Germany. What I said was that the "must-do-things-a-certain-way" mentality is very common there. I didn't find that in, for example, Ireland.

Clearly, it is a part of what makes Germany Germany.

There are no doubt aspects of American culture that others find are common among many Americans too, and some probably not so admirable.

Now if you want to see intolerance for people who don't speak the dominant language, visit Quebec sometime. France is kind of big on "culture preservation" too. :p

Pericles
01-21-2013, 07:19 PM
I've been there a few times. One time I was out driving around and was on a gravel road in the middle nowhere in Bavaria. I pulled to the edge of the road and started looking at the map when an elderly apparently local man drove up behind me. I waved him around, but he refused. Instead he sat behind me insisting that I get moving. He gave me some dirty looks until I resumed my drive.

On my first trip there, on my last day I was in Munich and I bought some weisswurst and Paulaner hefeweizen. The beer came in a nice glass with the Paulaner logo. I told the vendor I'd like to buy a couple of the glasses from him. Oh no, I don't sell glasses. I sell beer and some food. No glasses. It took a long time to convince him to sell me two glasses and I paid him well for them. Seems like a no-brainer to me if someone offers to buy something for a really good price and I periodically have to restock anyway due to breakage and theft.

I saw a lot of that sort of must-do-things-a-certain-way mentality there. Kinda odd. My brother lived there for a couple years (not in the military, he is just a Deutschphile) and when I told him about it, he agreed that it is a very common trait.

Befehl ist Befehl!, Dienst ist Dienst!, und Schnaps ist Schnaps!

Orders are orders, duty is duty, and schnaps is schnaps! Don't you forget it.

Anti Federalist
01-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Befehl ist Befehl!, Diesnt ist Dient!, und Schnaps ist Schnaps!

Orders are orders, duty is duty, and schnaps is schnaps! Don't you forget it.

I have to remember that.

angelatc
01-21-2013, 08:57 PM
I didn't say I wasn't treated well on the whole in Germany. What I said was that the "must-do-things-a-certain-way" mentality is very common there. I didn't find that in, for example, Ireland.

Clearly, it is a part of what makes Germany Germany.

There are no doubt aspects of American culture that others find are common among many Americans too, and some probably not so admirable.

You've summed it up quite nicely. One trait that my German friend found abhorrent was the "I'll call you!" thing. We say that a lot, and don't actually follow up. Nobody in Germany would say that and then not call.

Humanae Libertas
01-21-2013, 09:00 PM
I see Hitler is alive and well...

angelatc
01-21-2013, 09:00 PM

I did indeed. I also formed opinions about the French Parisians, the English, and whatever you call the people who live in Brussels. Loved Paris, loved Brussels, hated England, hated Germany. YMMV.

angelatc
01-21-2013, 09:01 PM
I see Hitler is alive and well...

Just a parade away....

klamath
01-21-2013, 09:10 PM
I did indeed. I also formed opinions about the French Parisians, the English, and whatever you call the people who live in Brussels. Loved Paris, loved Brussels, hated England, hated Germany. YMMV.
And we wonder how certain Americans have judged the muslim people by their dominent personality traits.. :rolleyes: Disrespectful of women. Check. Stinky, check. Will kill you if they perceive you have insulted islam. Check. Hate Americans. Check. Hate America for our freedoms. Check........ Got it One billion muslims can rot is hell....

Confederate
01-21-2013, 09:16 PM
I think you know I meant in the 30's.

You mean in 1938 when the Nazis relaxed gun control substantially?

Confederate
01-21-2013, 09:18 PM

I lived there for almost a decade and still have a house there.

klamath
01-21-2013, 09:21 PM
I lived there for almost a decade and still have a house there.
careful. you are going to reveal who you really might be.....;) You didn't live in spain by any chance:D

Anti Federalist
01-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Shit, they were on the verge of house to house confiscations in NY last week, and, outside of some grumbling and whining and strongly worded letters, they would have done it, had they only thought to get some registration lists first.

Well, now they have that, in a year or two, they'll round 'em up.

And nobody here will make much more than a peep either.

Pericles
01-23-2013, 10:39 AM
I have to remember that.

Every German is as familiar with that saying as we are with "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help."