PDA

View Full Version : Lupe Fiasco thrown offstage for an anti war song

tommy949
01-21-2013, 02:12 AM
http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/21/report-rapper-lupe-fiasco-thrown-offstage-at-inauguration-event-after-anti-obama-rant/
A perfect example of the government trying to silence anti war people

RickyJ
01-21-2013, 02:35 AM
I'm not sure if Limbaugh and Glen Beck are racists though, they appear to just be obnoxious tools of the establishment.

The surprise isn't that they threw him off stage, the surprise is that he was ever allowed to get on stage to start with at a pre-inaguration event considering he has been a vocal critic of Obama for quite a while. Obviously they didn't screen their performers very well. Since this was a semi-private event, they had the right to take him off stage.

Keith and stuff
01-21-2013, 03:46 AM
It looked like he was either trolling or just completely lost it on stage. He was up there, just barely dancing, not trying to sing or anything.

jmdrake
01-21-2013, 05:31 AM
Lupe wasn't "trolling". He was protesting. There is a difference. And sure they had a right to throw him off stage. Part of civil disobedience is doing something that will piss the establishment off in order to bring attention to your cause. Whoever organized this wouldn't have minded a protest song if Lupe had just gone ahead and given the people a little more entertainment opium so they wouldn't pay attention to what's going on. But he wasn't trying to entertain. He was trying to send a message. Props to Lupe!

Oh, and here's the song he was singing before he simply started protesting. Powerful song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=22l1sf5JZD0

Also I agree that Beck and Limbaugh aren't racists. That's just the best frame of reference Lupe's target audience can handle. One of the first thing some folks will say if you diss Obama is "You've just been listening to those right wingers that hate Obama because he's black". So Lupe got that red herring out of the way first. He used the same technique in reverse when criticizing Israel. (Criticize the jihadists in the first breath while criticizing Israel in the next). Quite a useful true-education technique actually.

jmdrake
01-21-2013, 05:31 AM
//

tod evans
01-21-2013, 05:52 AM
I'd gladly read the words, but I'm not watching the video.

Kudos to this Lupe guy for standing up!

Invi
01-21-2013, 06:01 AM
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/lupefiasco/wordsineversaid.html

Happy? lol.
I understand, though, I think. I'm not big on rap. Lupe Fiasco is one of few rappers I can deal with.

The hosts of the event put out a statement saying he was not removed for his protest, but rather because the audience was unhappy.
Not sure if I completely believe that. Then again, why the heck did they invite someone to perform who called Obama a terrorist a year ago to begin with?
htt p://hypervocal.com/news/2013/lupe-fiasco-inauguration-statement/

Anyway, HuffPo is the only place I've seen video of the event so far that wasn't from a cruddy cell phone.
htt p://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/21/lupe-fiasco-inauguration-concern_n_2518319.html

jmdrake
01-21-2013, 06:28 AM
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/lupefiasco/wordsineversaid.html

Happy? lol.
I understand, though, I think. I'm not big on rap. Lupe Fiasco is one of few rappers I can deal with.

The hosts of the event put out a statement saying he was not removed for his protest, but rather because the audience was unhappy.
Not sure if I completely believe that. Then again, why the heck did they invite someone to perform who called Obama a terrorist a year ago to begin with?
htt p://hypervocal.com/news/2013/lupe-fiasco-inauguration-statement/

Anyway, HuffPo is the only place I've seen video of the event so far that wasn't from a cruddy cell phone.
htt p://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/21/lupe-fiasco-inauguration-concern_n_2518319.html

Audience was unhappy? From the video it looked like most were cheering him on. And as for why he got invited that's a good question. Someone was just looking at who's popular? People were thinking "Okay, there'll be a little Obama bashing and then we'll get some more entertainment?" I remember years ago reading a coming in the Marvel "Earth 2099" series (Hulk 2099 I think it was) where an entertainer was spouting anti establishment lyrics in her song. Then offstage she secretly confided to a friend "Don't worry. There are subliminal messages that say don't fight the system everything is fine." The establishment doesn't mind entertainers bucking the system somewhat as long as people don't actually wake up. Lupe is trying to get to the next step.

jmdrake
01-21-2013, 06:29 AM
Good comment on HuffPo.

Thanks Lupe.. It's shocking to me how silent most democrats are about Obama's violation of the constitution and his drone bombing program. NDAA, FISA, Patriot act extension, renditions, bailouts, drone bombing, no prosecution of torturers, no prosecution of warantless wiretappers, wall street corruption handled with kids gloves, and prosecution of whistleblowers. I know some people speak out but it seems like the vast majority of people are willing to sacrifice moral principles for their political ideology. How sad.

Tinnuhana
01-21-2013, 07:14 AM
Lupe takes on Bill Oh Really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqtkdSM1CJk&feature=player_embedded

Tinnuhana
01-21-2013, 07:14 AM

vita3
01-21-2013, 07:54 AM
A modern-day rapper w/ priniciples... Nice to see

ClydeCoulter
01-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Did they cut his mic?

Jackie Moon
01-22-2013, 02:32 AM
During an interview with CBS in 2011, he called the president a terrorist. Lupe said, “My fight against terrorism, to me, the biggest terrorist is Obama and the United States of America. I’m trying to fight the terrorism that’s actually causing the other forms of terrorism.”

“You know, the root cause of terrorism is the stuff the U.S. government allows to happen. The foreign policies that we have in place in different countries that inspire people to become terrorists.”

I don't know how he feels about other issues or what he thinks of Ron Paul but it's great to have him out there speaking the truth about this. As Ron knows, reaching the young people is what will bring change.

Great song and video too...

I’ma part of the problem, my problem is I’m peaceful

Pills with million side effects
Take em when the pains felt
Wash them down with Diet soda
Killin off your brain cells
Crooked banks around the World
Would gladly give a loan today
So if you ever miss a payment
They can take your home away

Jihad is not a holy war, wheres that in the worship?
Murdering is not Islam!
And you are not observant
And you are not a muslim
Israel don’t take my side cause look how far you’ve pushed them

I think that all the silence is worse than all the violence
Fear is such a weak emotion that's why I despise it
We scared of almost everything, afraid to even tell the truth

angelatc
01-22-2013, 02:54 AM
I am beyond thrilled that he did this. But in all fairness, I think he played the same cong for 30 minutes, at least if what I read was true....I can't imagine his set was supposed to last much longer than that.

If this had happened to Bush, the news would play the clip over and over and over. (Remember when Colbert was rude at the correspondents dinner?) But since it was Obama, we'll hear next to nothing about it.

kcchiefs6465
01-23-2013, 10:22 AM

Lmao. I never thought I'd see Bill O'Reilly defending Obama.

thoughtomator
01-23-2013, 10:24 AM
I thought it was a fine PR stunt, but I'm pretty sure he got yanked for sucking as entertainment rather than the specific content of what he was saying.

Lucille
01-23-2013, 12:26 PM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/131183.html

Lew, the video you linked has, of course, been taken down. But here's one that might be even better, posted by Young Turks, complete with some great commentary, and tweets from witnesses of the festivities.

Vive le Dissent!

dannno
01-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Lmao. I never thought I'd see Bill O'Reilly defending Obama.

That's what you get for thinking.

jmdrake
01-23-2013, 12:44 PM
I am beyond thrilled that he did this. But in all fairness, I think he played the same cong for 30 minutes, at least if what I read was true....I can't imagine his set was supposed to last much longer than that.

If this had happened to Bush, the news would play the clip over and over and over. (Remember when Colbert was rude at the correspondents dinner?) But since it was Obama, we'll hear next to nothing about it.

Yeah. He played the same song for 30 minutes. In fact at the end he wasn't even rapping. It's like the "sit ins" of the 60s. Had he just done his anti-Obama song and gone on he wouldn't have gotten thrown off stage and he wouldn't have gotten the chance to further highlight his dissent. As things get worse in this country, the time for full scale civil disobedience may come on us. That may mean being a jackass some times in order to highlight abuse. Ted Nugent talked about Rosa Parks. Are people ready to do that yet?

dannno
01-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Yeah. He played the same song for 30 minutes. In fact at the end he wasn't even rapping. It's like the "sit ins" of the 60s. Had he just done his anti-Obama song and gone on he wouldn't have gotten thrown off stage and he wouldn't have gotten the chance to further highlight his dissent. As things get worse in this country, the time for full scale civil disobedience may come on us. That may mean being a jackass some times in order to highlight abuse. Ted Nugent talked about Rosa Parks. Are people ready to do that yet?

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jmdrake again.