PDA

View Full Version : New York Times: "Please Take Away My Right to a Gun"

RonPaulFanInGA
01-20-2013, 12:10 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/19/opinion/please-take-away-my-right-to-a-gun.html

P3ter_Griffin
01-20-2013, 12:15 AM
lol. must be her cry for help?

RonPaulFanInGA
01-20-2013, 12:17 AM
Instead of owning a gun herself, she prefers to pick up the phone and call for someone else with a gun to come save her.

Expatriate
01-20-2013, 12:22 AM
That's funny, because she is perfectly capable of taking away her own right to own a gun if she thinks she is too unstable. Just don't buy one. Since she wants to bring the government into it though I suspect she's more interested in trying to take away other people's rights.

Anti Federalist
01-20-2013, 12:38 AM
Inside the mind of a terrified, rat in a cage, modern woman.

This broad is nuts, for real.

But she has just as much, if not more, say so in determining what "rights" I will be "allowed" to have.

Yay, democracy and universal suffrage, where my life is controlled and regulated down to the lowest common denominator, in this case, a weepy, clinically nuts, helpless female with daddy issues.

Fuck me running...:mad:

Oh, and one more thing, fuck you lady, keeping a Newfy in a city apartment sucks.

<snip>

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 38,364 Americans lost that fight in 2010 and committed suicide; 19,392 used a gun.

(So just slightly over half used a firearm? And you don't suppose those 19382 would not have joined the other 18982 and found some other readily available means to kill themselves? And I keep hearing about how "effective" all the big pharma dope is, "millions take it with no problem" blarg, blarg, blarg. Fuck me, 38364 people killing themselves a year, mass school shootings and mothers chopping off their children's limbs and drowning them is a big fucking problem. - AF)

No one ever attempted to break down my door in the early morning again, but I had an episode when my depression did come back in full force in the early winter of 2009, after I made a career-ending decision and isolated myself too much; on a January night in 2010; and again in May 2012, after testifying in the federal criminal trial of John Edwards, my former boss. If I had purchased that gun and it had been in my possession, I’m not sure I would have been able to resist and would be here typing these words.

The other day, the president and the vice president announced their plans to curb gun violence in the wake of the shooting in Newtown, Conn. I agree with all of their measures. But I believe they should be bolder and stop walking on eggshells about what to do with people like me and those not even close to being like me but still labeled with the crazy term “mentally ill.” The executive actions the president signed to increase access and treatment are all good, although the experts will struggle with confidentiality and privacy issues.

But since most people like me are more likely to harm ourselves than to turn into mass-murdering monsters, our leaders should do more to keep us safe from ourselves.

Please take away my Second Amendment right. Do more to help us protect ourselves because what’s most likely to wake me in the early hours isn’t a man’s body slamming at my door but depression, that raven, tapping, rapping, banging for relief.

I have a better chance of surviving if I never have the option of being able to pull the trigger.

pochy1776
01-20-2013, 12:50 AM
Dear Depressed, suicidal lady. Please, Don't share your inner thought with the public, they just stigmatize you and i. Please consult Psychiatrist. Then, Don;t buy a gun simple as that.

Danke
01-20-2013, 01:10 AM

But she has just as much, if not more, say so in determining what "rights" I will be "allowed" to have.

Yay, democracy and universal suffrage, where my life is controlled and regulated down to the lowest common denominator, in this case, a weepy, clinically nuts, helpless female with daddy issues.

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Politics/gty_wendy_button_john_edwards_jt_120423_wb.jpg

DamianTV
01-20-2013, 01:14 AM
Please take away this persons Right that is protected by the Right to have a gun, which is to say Please take away this persons Right to Free Speech, and leave him not just with the Right to a gun, but with an actual gun, then observe how it all unfolds.

Guns dont kill people. People kill people. And why is it that in the "leading nation in the world", we have some pretty bad gun death statistics? Oh yeah, a Dishonest Government governs a Dishonest People.

Anti Federalist
01-20-2013, 01:15 AM
http://a.abcnews.com/images/Politics/gty_wendy_button_john_edwards_jt_120423_wb.jpg

Misogynistic and misanthropic, all in one post.

http://www.natpryce.com/articles/images/podpeople.jpg

UpperDecker
01-20-2013, 01:44 AM
Absolutely sickening article. People like this are the ones getting us into the mess we are in now. Yes, let us take away the rights of a vast majority for the few that are sick. Unbelievable.

Philhelm
01-20-2013, 01:56 AM
Wow. Just wow. The majority of the comments are equally...depressing.

RonPaulFanInGA
01-20-2013, 01:59 AM
It's weird, because nobody forces her to own a gun. She already has the right to not own a gun. The headline would be better as: "please take away others' rights to guns."

XTreat
01-20-2013, 02:02 AM
our leaders should do more to keep us safe from ourselves.

Philhelm
01-20-2013, 02:05 AM
Government: Please surgically remove my penis because I am a man with a compulsion to use it.

DamianTV
01-20-2013, 02:57 AM
Government: Please surgically remove my penis because I am a man with a compulsion to use it.

ROFLsauce!

itshappening
01-20-2013, 03:03 AM
I'm sure in Nazi Germany in the early 1930's the regime had Jews who they could hold up to say it was a good idea putting yellow stickers on their business.

I mean come on, this is pathetic.

Anti Federalist
01-20-2013, 03:18 AM
I'm sure in Nazi Germany in the early 1930's the regime had Jews who they could hold up to say it was a good idea putting yellow stickers on their business.

I mean come on, this is pathetic.

Are you kidding me?

They had whole squads devoted to it.

Aptly named JudenRat.

While an appropriate pun, it actually meant "Jewish Council", correctly spelled Judenräte.

The early Judenräte were foremost to report numbers of their Jewish populations, clear residences and turn them over, present workers for forced labour, confiscate valuables, and collect tribute and turn these over. Failure to comply would incur the risk of collective punishments or other measures. Later tasks of the Judenräte included turning over community members for deportation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judenrat

And there's that fucking word again.

Anti Federalist
01-20-2013, 03:18 AM
///

EBounding
01-20-2013, 04:05 AM
frankiethepunk

Please take a way my right to own a gun. Unlike the writer Wendy Button I do not suffer from depression or any form of mental illness, but like most human beings I do stupid things. Especially when I lose my temper. In those situations, if I am in a rage and a gun is available to me, who knows what I am capable of? I don't. The availability of Guns makes me more dangerous, not only to myself, but to people around me.

Good lord, I sure hope this "NYT Pick" post is someone trolling...

EBounding
01-20-2013, 04:05 AM
frankiethepunk

Please take a way my right to own a gun. Unlike the writer Wendy Button I do not suffer from depression or any form of mental illness, but like most human beings I do stupid things. Especially when I lose my temper. In those situations, if I am in a rage and a gun is available to me, who knows what I am capable of? I don't. The availability of Guns makes me more dangerous, not only to myself, but to people around me.

Good lord, I sure hope this "NYT Pick" post is someone trolling...

amy31416
01-20-2013, 10:32 AM
This broad is so full of shit. Women who are that depressed and longing for a way out take pills, they do not shoot themselves in the head because they don't want to leave a mess behind.

I'm being serious. This is almost certainly a propaganda piece trotted out because the time is ripe.

jkr
01-20-2013, 11:04 AM
can we get paul bunnion or sumbody to CUT new york off of the united states and let it float over to europe where it belongs?

aGameOfThrones
01-20-2013, 11:06 AM
There are many ways you could kill yourself, but this idiots didn't kill herself because she didn't have a gun? LOL

FUCK YOU!!!

Anti Federalist
01-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Thank you.

I was reviewing suicide stats, and women who commit suicide almost never use a firearm.

http://www.suicidology.org/stats-and-tools/suicide-statistics

They also commit suicide at a much lower rate, 5.2 per 100,000 for woman as opposed to 20.0 per 100,000 for men.

And again, if the big pharma, "happy pills" solution is supposed to be the answer, why are rates of suicide increasing?

When every year millions more people take these poisons?

This broad is so full of shit. Women who are that depressed and longing for a way out take pills, they do not shoot themselves in the head because they don't want to leave a mess behind.

I'm being serious. This is almost certainly a propaganda piece trotted out because the time is ripe.

muh_roads
01-20-2013, 12:07 PM

lol, Sorry I just like this quote. Keep 'em comin'.

Cowlesy
01-20-2013, 12:19 PM
NY Times. They'll print *anything* these days.

Philhelm
01-20-2013, 12:20 PM
I think she should be committed.

thoughtomator
01-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Anyone who can't be trusted with a gun can't be trusted with a ballot, either.

kcchiefs6465
01-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Wow. Just wow. The majority of the comments are equally...depressing.
Reported. I saw something and I said something.

youngbuck
01-20-2013, 12:37 PM

Oh, and one more thing, fuck you lady, keeping a Newfy in a city apartment sucks.

QFT. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Anti Federalist
01-20-2013, 12:46 PM
lol, Sorry I just like this quote. Keep 'em comin'.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Here's another, apropos to this subject, regarding happy pills, by way of a re-post:

What is driving the need for these drugs?

Cognitive Dissonance is a term thrown about, too loosely I think.

It is important to understand just what CG is.

It is the pain, upset, mental unbalance and discomfort caused by a rational person trying to adjust to Orwell's world, where one plus one equals three, or five, or nothing.

It is knowing that we have NOT always been at war with Eastasia.

Basically, these drugs are being used like camphor under the nose is used when dealing with a decomposed body.

They are being used to mask the stink of a dying society, to keep the semblance of sanity in people that smell the stink every day, and can neither acclimate themselves to it, nor properly identify what, and where, that stink is coming from.

belian78
01-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Anyone who can't be trusted with a gun can't be trusted with a ballot, either.
Fuckin A right bout that. +rep

pochy1776
01-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Thank you.

I was reviewing suicide stats, and women who commit suicide almost never use a firearm.

http://www.suicidology.org/stats-and-tools/suicide-statistics

They also commit suicide at a much lower rate, 5.2 per 100,000 for woman as opposed to 20.0 per 100,000 for men.

And again, if the big pharma, "happy pills" solution is supposed to be the answer, why are rates of suicide increasing?
When every year millions more people take these poisons?

Does the suicide stat link you have say this?

VoluntaryAmerican
01-20-2013, 01:55 PM
"My depression appeared for the first time in the late ’90s, right before I began writing for politicians."

Find a new job lady.

"But since most people like me are more likely to harm ourselves than to turn into mass-murdering monsters, our leaders should do more to keep us safe from ourselves."

:( You're making me depressed now.

JK/SEA
01-20-2013, 02:10 PM

they're working on it. Be patient.

JK/SEA
01-20-2013, 02:10 PM

they're working on it. Be patient.

presence
01-20-2013, 02:30 PM
If I had purchased that gun and it had been in my possession, I’m not sure I would have been able to resist and would be here typing these words.

Do us all a favor.

Fuck NYTimes for even publishing this trolling pity-me bullshit.

http://www.roflemo.com/images/50aaf1adafa96f1c3f00030c.jpg

Anti Federalist
01-20-2013, 02:40 PM
Does the suicide stat link you have say this?

Yes, you have to dig through a bunch of .pdf tables, but it's in there.

AFPVet
01-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Instead of writing an article like this, she needs to do a voluntary commitment. No one is forcing her to buy a weapon... if she is a chemically imbalanced and irresponsible person, she needs to be in a place that will make sure that she will not harm herself or others.

ClydeCoulter
01-20-2013, 03:23 PM
Hmmm, just a precursor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryUbJfg4tAo

https://www.facebook.com/SteveMcNY/posts/134119446748862

Here it is. This is the video where I was asked to keep the Democrat proposals for the NY SAFE Act away from the public. This list was given to me by a colleague and it is not confidential.

This bill was an attack on the 2nd amendment and the Democrats clearly wanted to dismantle the work of the Founding Fathers. None of these amendments were included in the final bill thanks to us fighting back. I will not stand silent while these unpatriotic proposals are pathetically thrown at us a 11 o'clock at night:

1. Confiscation of "assault weapons"
2. Confiscation o ten round clips
3. Statewide database for ALL Guns
4. Continue to allow pistol permit holder's information to be replaced to the public
5. Label semiautomatic shotguns with more than 5 rounds or pistol grips as "assault weapons"
6. Limit the number of rounds in a magazine to 5 and confiscation and forfeiture of banned magazines
7. Limit possession to no more than two (2) magazines
8. Limit purchase of guns to one gun per person per month
9. Require re-licensing of all pistol permit owners
10. Require renewal of all pistol permits every five years
11. State issued pistol permits
12. Micro-stamping of all guns in New York State
13. Require licensing of all gun ammo dealers
14. Mandatory locking of guns at home
15. Fee for licensing, registering weapons

PursuePeace
01-20-2013, 04:08 PM
..our leaders should do more to keep us safe from ourselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm_xSlCMBIQ

PaulConventionWV
01-20-2013, 04:18 PM
Instead of owning a gun herself, she prefers to pick up the phone and call for someone else with a gun to come save her.

This is just another avoidance behavior. I have gone through depression management without medicine, and one of the things you simply must do in order to overcome your morbid fears is to stop avoidance behaviors. She wants guns taken away from her because of her own mental anguish over the thought that she might actually do it. What she doesn't seem to realize is that she is being extremely selfish by saying that nobody should have the choice just because she can't handle the decision herself.

No, missy, what you need to do is own a gun and live with it, look at it, use it, and come to terms with your fears of killing yourself. You're not going to do it. If you do, then that's on you. If you don't want that to be on you, then just DON'T DO IT! Avoidance behaviors don't alleviate your fears. They simply transfer them to some other place, like knives, razors, and other sharp objects. Avoidance behaviors only continue your habit of victimizing yourself. If you don't want to buy a gun, fine. Don't buy a gun, but realize what other options you have. Get an alarm system if you think the alarm will simply scare away the robber or rapist or murderer. Let your dog do your fighting, but for God's sake, do something instead of taking the cheapest, most dipshit way out of your fears by making a monolithic power enforce your way of life on everyone else. I get fucking sick when I read stuff like your article. It's hard not to use the word hate when describing the weakest minded liberal dipshits who fear themselves and so make everyone suffer along with them. If you can't live with the idea that people who want and need guns should be able to get them, then I guess you don't have much choice but to kill yourself. I don't want you to, but there's not always an easy way out.

PaulConventionWV
01-20-2013, 04:23 PM
That's funny, because she is perfectly capable of taking away her own right to own a gun if she thinks she is too unstable. Just don't buy one. Since she wants to bring the government into it though I suspect she's more interested in trying to take away other people's rights.

She wants to have her cake and eat it, too. She doesn't want intruders to come and take her stuff or rape/kill her, but she also doesn't want to live with the fear that she might turn the gun on herself. You can't have it both ways, missy. Save yourself or don't be saved. Sink or swim, missy. The choice is yours. If you can't handle that then go fuck yourself.

Antischism
01-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Holy shit, you have got to be kidding me.

Why can't she make that decision for herself instead of assuming she knows what's best for everyone else?
Maybe it sounds insensitive, and this is coming from someone who was dealt with severe depression after 9/11,
but if her episode got so bad that she felt like, God forbid, attempting to take her own life, what's stopping her
from doing it in another manner? I doubt the gun would make the grand difference.

PaulConventionWV
01-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Government: Please surgically remove everyone's penis because I am a man with a compulsion to use it.

FIFY

PaulConventionWV
01-20-2013, 04:33 PM

You're right. Women almost never kill themselves with a gun. I guess she wants to ban prescription SSRIs, too. Now THAT I could get on board with. Banning pharmaceuticals would probably do much more good than banning guns. Pharmaceuticals are a creation of the government. They never would have existed if not for the desire to control people and keep them complacent.

Humanae Libertas
01-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Fair enough. If she's mentality deranged to own a firearm, maybe we should call the police and they'll send in a SWAT team to retrieve that gun. Maybe that'll change her mind.

PaulConventionWV
01-20-2013, 04:42 PM
"My depression appeared for the first time in the late ’90s, right before I began writing for politicians."

Find a new job lady.

"But since most people like me are more likely to harm ourselves than to turn into mass-murdering monsters, our leaders should do more to keep us safe from ourselves."

:( You're making me depressed now.

Okay, let's see. How many things can she do that would be BETTER than outlawing guns?

How about:

1) Living with family.
2)Finding a man (or perhaps two lesbian lovers would do the trick if you're into that).
3)Getting an alarm system.
4)She already has a dog, so why not one that she knows will protect her?
5)Get a knife.
6)Seek therapy.
7)Live in a fortress.
8)Voluntarily commit yourself... again.

osan
01-20-2013, 08:04 PM
Oy. So let me make sure I have this right. I don't trust myself to be around guns, therefore everyone is equally untrustworthy.

Were this some isolated instance, one would perhaps feel the pity that naturally arises after reading the woeful and pathetic words of such a wholly wretched soul. That this brand of profoundly morbid perception and thinking is encountered so broadly serves as evidence of the presence of a pervasive rot the origins and causes of which I cannot identify, but can say that it would seem to pose an existential threat to the future of liberty itself for the race of men.

osan
01-20-2013, 08:14 PM

Perhaps it is best you not give them any more creative ideas.