PDA

View Full Version : New SyFy channel series - CONTINUUM - has a freedom/liberty theme

tangent4ronpaul
01-18-2013, 03:09 AM
It's about time travel from 2077 to 2012

Unfortunately, the "hero" is with the police state.

Airs Mon at 8pm, but a replay of the first episode will air at 7pm EST tonight.

Might be worth watching for the general message. Sortta like Battlestar Galactica.

Anyone seen it or have thoughts on the series?

-t

alucard13mmfmj
01-18-2013, 03:27 AM
havnt watched TV in like 4 years.

i used to watch stargate sg-1/atlantis, battlestar galactica, and those corney movies that scifi produce lol.

Smart3
01-18-2013, 03:52 AM
Excellent show, highly recommend.

tangent4ronpaul
01-18-2013, 04:04 AM
Excellent show, highly recommend.

I agree! - it will be interesting to see which way this goes...

-t

Lafayette
01-18-2013, 10:35 AM
Yep, they make the pro freedom/anti-corporatist police state people into terrorists and murderous thugs and the cops the heroes.

If you can over look that, its not a bad show and it has a few actors from the BSG and Stargate series in it.

I'll watch a couple episodes and see if it gets better.

Lafayette
01-18-2013, 10:35 AM
double post

AdamT
01-18-2013, 10:37 AM
Is the first series airing now? We only have Netflix streaming.

ClydeCoulter
01-18-2013, 10:45 AM
IF, and I say IF, the cops come to our side and support their oath, that would be a good thing. Aren't we supporting sheriffs that are standing up for our 2nd amendment rights?

I may have to turn on the TV just to check it out.

tangent4ronpaul
01-18-2013, 10:50 AM
Is the first series airing now? We only have Netflix streaming.

I believe the first series just started.

-t

talkingpointes
01-18-2013, 11:12 AM
I believe the first series just started.

-t

I already downloaded the whole first season? Already watched 2 episodes.

pcosmar
01-18-2013, 11:58 AM
What was that game site I heard mentioned( NextGen?).

DamianTV
01-18-2013, 12:12 PM
After having watched the first episode, I fear that the show has way too much potential to be renamed COPtinuum.

The idea of a Corporate Congress needs to be delved into much much deeper. Their story so far is that the Corporations bailed out a bankrupt Government, and that the Corporations now rule the world. But I highly doubt that the direction the story has gone will allow them to articulate much on what caused their future Govt to go bankrupt in the first place, being that the premise of the show is that there are a number of people that got zotted back to the past, permanently. Some of the teasers for upcoming shows indicate that the current set of time travelers will not be the only ones, so permanent isnt really that permanent.

But again, I'll go back to their concept of Corporate Congress. Isnt that exactly what we have already? And how did their Govt go bankrupt to begin with? Maybe it started off with a Banking Coupe de Taut, where their Banks (mirroring situations in reality) took control of their Govt, and then ran it into the ground with their Bank Issued Unrestricted Unregulated Debt Based Fiat Currency? I'd love to see a TV show that even touched on this, but, sadly, such a show would most likely never even get off the ground.

As far as a purely Fantasy Sci-Fi show, it might be interesting.

Smart3
01-18-2013, 07:12 PM
The show is Canadian, and all episodes of the first season aired last year beginning in May. So for you guys without a provider, you can "find" it online.

emazur
01-18-2013, 08:31 PM
there's another rebroadcast at midnight CST

Natural Citizen
01-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Anyone seen it or have thoughts on the series?

-t

I haven't seen it so don't know what they mean by time travel. Is it like a guy who travels in time or something?

Some things that look promising is the fact that technically we are doing it now with objects. Data as well, perhaps. There has been some speak of instantaneous data transmission/retrieval from the Mars rover Curiosity. That's important, really. For a lot of reasons.

Professor8000
01-18-2013, 10:30 PM
Instantaneous data transmission from Mars is something I haven't heard about. I wonder if it is a practical application of the quantum entanglement principle. If so, that would make for one valuable communication system.

Natural Citizen
01-18-2013, 10:41 PM
Instantaneous data transmission from Mars is something I haven't heard about. I wonder if it is a practical application of the quantum entanglement principle. If so, that would make for one valuable communication system.

Yep. There have been a few recent white papers in some circles of discussion regarding this quantum...theory. It's not really a theory though as many who practice in the area know.

It is very convenient for some to continue with the popular notion that it takes several minutes for data to bounce back though. Use your imagination there.

SewrRatt
01-19-2013, 12:17 AM
I've seen the first season and it seems to me like the show is slowly showing that both sides are wrong - police state and terrorists. The police state for being a police state and the terrorists for killing innocent people.

Smart3
01-19-2013, 02:05 AM
I haven't seen it so don't know what they mean by time travel. Is it like a guy who travels in time or something?

Some things that look promising is the fact that technically we are doing it now with objects. Data as well, perhaps. There has been some speak of instantaneous data transmission/retrieval from the Mars rover Curiosity. That's important, really. For a lot of reasons.

Multiple people are transported back in time to the same location they're standing in. So in their year - 2077, it's a prison, but in 2012 it isn't. The stated goal of the terrorists is to change the future, so the show assumes that they're in the same universe. This is a 'war'.

Evidently time travel (like Looper) is owned by criminals, although this is the first recorded instance.