PDA

View Full Version : USA Today Ad Reactions (from regular people)

0zzy
11-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Anyone have reactions from just regular people?

My dad saw the ad and read it and said it was a "great ad".

ItsTime
11-21-2007, 08:56 PM
I do not count your father as a reg joe. Im sure you have already exposed him to Ron Paul. But I would love to hear the reactions of others.

JuniorNJ
11-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Quick question...did he know it was going to be there or did you tell him? I'm quite curious to find out how many people actually saw it and read it without knowing before hand. It would gauge how catching it was.

EvilEngineer
11-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Someone mentioned the ad on the talk of Texas this morning. And of course the shill of a host went on about how "Ron Paul envisions him self as a founding father", don't think he ever understood the thing that the campaign and Dr. Paul had nothing to do with the ad.

Tratzman
11-21-2007, 09:02 PM
My boss said it was great, but that his picture should have been a lot bigger.

0zzy
11-21-2007, 09:02 PM
Someone mentioned the ad on the talk of Texas this morning. And of course the shill of a host went on about how "Ron Paul envisions him self as a founding father", don't think he ever understood the thing that the campaign and Dr. Paul had nothing to do with the ad.

My god, that pisses me off.

and I didn't tell him the ad was in there, but usually if I show him Ron Paul he says "ya okay, whatever. let's watch sports!"

Midnight77
11-21-2007, 09:03 PM
My boss said it was great, but that his picture should have been a lot bigger.

That was one of the things I was fighting for. Didn't win out, though.

ratsbew
11-21-2007, 09:03 PM
I have been using this to judge the reaction...doesn't look too good to me.
http://www.sitemeter.com/?a=stats&s=s37paulonpaper&r=12

ItsTime
11-21-2007, 09:05 PM
how about the teaparty? I think the timing of the ad was very poor as well. But its done, and it looked good. Everything helps

XelR8r
11-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Every one I showed the ad to read the whole thing, it was amazing. My Exec. Chef said "I'm gonna vote for this guy." I told he he needed to be a reg. republican, he registered today!

American
11-21-2007, 09:06 PM
We wont really know for a bit, advertising take time and it wont be an instant converter. I dont think it was intended to be, but this is a great way for people to follow up now that they have an idea who he is and what he stands for,

I think the ad was awesome, it will get some traction.

Ron Paul Fan
11-21-2007, 09:07 PM
I'm a regular person and I loved it! I'm definitely voting for Ron Paul now!

inibo
11-21-2007, 09:10 PM
I'm a regular person and I loved it! I'm definitely voting for Ron Paul now!

Welcome aboard Ron Paul Fan, we need more new supporters like you. :p

Lord Xar
11-21-2007, 09:11 PM
all I heard was positives.

remember, most poeple read "away" from the computer. You will see an uptick in the coming days... if this is the "traveling season" wouldn't it be safe to say they are NOT at their computers.

Also, think of "name" recognition. We know the internet is not the defining aspect of the popularity of a candidate - because we are very strong on the internet but perhaps lack a little in actual ground troops. This ad will do the opposite. It will RAISE THE LEVEL of awareness for "offline" folks.

.... and that is what we want. AWARENESS!

XelR8r
11-21-2007, 09:12 PM

A lot of people are traveling today, wait until tomorrow when they are settled in with their families talking politics and football.

skinzterpswizfan
11-21-2007, 09:12 PM
all I heard was positives.

remember, most poeple read "away" from the computer. You will see an uptick in the coming days... if this is the "traveling season" wouldn't it be safe to say they are NOT at their computers.

Also, think of "name" recognition. We know the internet is not the defining aspect of the popularity of a candidate - because we are very strong on the internet but perhaps lack a little in actual ground troops. This ad will do the opposite. It will RAISE THE LEVEL of awareness for "offline" folks.

.... and that is what we want. AWARENESS!

Great points.

KewlRonduderules
11-21-2007, 09:14 PM
Yeah, I showed all my colleagues. Now of course, I had to put a little spin on it because if I did not I could have been fired from work for promoting politics there. I told them I was part of the group that came up with the idea for the fundraiser on December 16th. Well, it is kinda true, sort of...Gee, does that make me evil?:o

They all LOVED it and read it in its entirety.

Some had never heard of Ron Paul- well now they do.

troyd1
11-21-2007, 09:15 PM

I would not worry about it. Today is a big travel day and most people are not even on the internet. I am sure many people will check it out later or when they hear about him, they will remember the ad if they read it.

ItsTime
11-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Kick ass! Maybe he can donate a grand today and 1.3k on the 16th? Hehe.

Every one I showed the ad to read the whole thing, it was amazing. My Exec. Chef said "I'm gonna vote for this guy." I told he he needed to be a reg. republican, he registered today!

derdy
11-21-2007, 09:17 PM

Remember, a lot of people are traveling today. They may surf to the site tomorrow when they reach their destinations. Heck, maybe they'll show the family when they get to their destitnations!

tnvoter
11-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Not everyone who sees the ad is going to jump on the internet, just like not everyone who donated november 5th signed up to show they were on the bandwagon. :)

Bestboss
11-21-2007, 09:19 PM
I bought a few copies of the paper and will be having some fun with the copy over the holiday weekend. I did notice my wife looking it over prety well, as she knows I am all about Dr. Paul.
I did notice, that most who saw it, were a bit overwhelmed by the quantity of information. That's ok, as everyone that saw it, learned something. It looks like it was money well spent for the cause!
Bestboss

RPatTheBeach
11-21-2007, 09:25 PM
The ad was pretty encompassing in itself. If I were to read it, I wouldn't feel the need to get online and check out more. It did a great job of summarizing dr.p.

MozoVote
11-21-2007, 09:33 PM
Newspapers have a longer impact than a TV ad. You might be surprised how often somebody opens up a week-old newspaper that they didn't get around to reading.

MadViking10
11-21-2007, 09:38 PM
EVERYONE I showed the ad to was very positive. There is however a huge "It doesnt matter what we do" attitude by most people. My view is that Joe Smo really doesnt believe that there is any hope for the country. They seem to believe that the media is an arm of the government and that the economy is going to tank way before the next president goes in office. In short, many believe the country is on the ropes and about to get knocked the fuck out !

Austin
11-21-2007, 09:56 PM

Most people that bought this are likely to be traveling, and thus, do not have access to the computer. I would take a look at that site on Friday, it might be more accurate. Even then, they aren't going to visit each site listed on the ad. They will probably go to teaparty07.com, if any site at all.

noztnac
11-21-2007, 09:58 PM
I like the focus on the message rather than on Ron Paul. In other words, I like that Ron Paul's picture is not figured more prominently in the ad.

thehittgirl
11-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Yeah, I showed all my colleagues. Now of course, I had to put a little spin on it because if I did not I could have been fired from work for promoting politics there. I told them I was part of the group that came up with the idea for the fundraiser on December 16th. Well, it is kinda true, sort of...Gee, does that make me evil?:o

They all LOVED it and read it in its entirety.

Some had never heard of Ron Paul- well now they do.

Same with the hubby about not promoting politics at work. He is leaving a USA today opened to the page in the locker room at work :D

Ozwest
11-21-2007, 10:03 PM
EVERYONE I showed the ad to was very positive. There is however a huge "It doesnt matter what we do" attitude by most people. My view is that Joe Smo really doesnt believe that there is any hope for the country. They seem to believe that the media is an arm of the government and that the economy is going to tank way before the next president goes in office. In short, many believe the country is on the ropes and about to get knocked the fuck out !

It's funny that. I get angry and want to fight the system, as I know the rest of you do to. It is frustrating how weak and apathetic people are, and how easily led.

freestyl24
11-21-2007, 10:09 PM
<>

0zzy
11-21-2007, 10:11 PM
I am recent Ron Paul convert and thought the add was very good. Hits the inner patriot in all of us. The add does make you sit back and wonder what has happened to this once great country. And shows how Ron Paul has a plan to restore what the founding fathers intended.

Welcome to the forums, and awesome! :)

Elementslayer
11-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Another good use is to take the ad a run photocopies. im taking a trip to kinkos with the ad this payday to run a few hundred. i dont have a printer so i finaly have something worthy to hand out to people.

DealzOnWheelz
11-21-2007, 10:13 PM
how about the teaparty? I think the timing of the ad was very poor as well. But its done, and it looked good. Everything helps

Very poor?? are you serious

he got it in on the busiest travel day of the year and inadvertantly fell into a 2 day run. What could have been better timing?????

you wouldn't want to do it the week of the 16th because people who still weren't sure wouldn't have much time to check him out online.

DealzOnWheelz
11-21-2007, 10:14 PM
This is a great ad to shrink down and turn into it's own slimjim

wgadget
11-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Just think of all the motels and hotels that will have FREE USAToday copies for all their guests!

freestyl24
11-21-2007, 10:20 PM
<>

purepaloma
11-21-2007, 10:25 PM
the USA TODAY also has a LOT of people WHO DO NOT USE THE INTERNET.

Exactly who we need to go after !!

garrettwombat
11-21-2007, 10:54 PM
this morning i sat down at the diner and talked to 10 old people... i didn't realize it at first but they were all very well aware of the patriot act and the north american union, they all started talking about it. so i was like hey since it is there thing... i went over and bought a usa today copy and flipped through the pages and found the ad and showed them...
they said "oh Ron paul, even though he is independent, if the election was held today i would vote for him" that's pretty much what they all said, and i went on to tell him he WAS republican(jeez) and we all had a pretty good conversation about him and they said it was an awsome ad

0zzy
11-21-2007, 10:58 PM
this morning i sat down at the diner and talked to 10 old people... i didn't realize it at first but they were all very well aware of the patriot act and the north american union, they all started talking about it. so i was like hey since it is there thing... i went over and bought a usa today copy and flipped through the pages and found the ad and showed them...
they said "oh Ron paul, even though he is independent, if the election was held today i would vote for him" that's pretty much what they all said, and i went on to tell him he WAS republican(jeez) and we all had a pretty good conversation about him and they said it was an awsome ad

Wtf, they think he was an Independent? I get that too, it pisses me off.

dGASDgasdgasdgsdagasdgdasgd
asgasd
gasd
g
asdg
asd

Wtf is wrong with my America?

Spirit of '76
11-21-2007, 11:12 PM
Wtf, they think he was an Independent? I get that too, it pisses me off.

Yeah, I was talking to my friend's dad the other night, and he said, "Ron Paul. I don't think I'd vote for him for president. I'd vote for him for some other office, though. Not for president until they get that party organized and built up."

His son laughed and said, "Dad, he's a Republican."

Instant change. "Oh, really?"

Out came the slimjims. :D

He was very impressed that he's not a lawyer. He said a doctor would be good, but no more lawyers.

Libertarian
11-22-2007, 12:59 AM
Yeah, I was talking to my friend's dad the other night, and he said, "Ron Paul. I don't think I'd vote for him for president. I'd vote for him for some other office, though. Not for president until they get that party organized and built up."

haha yep...

This his how most people react when they find that not only do they agree with Paul, but he is in one of the "major" parties that actually has a chance at winning..

http://i9.tinypic.com/8f11yt0.jpg

MadOdorMachine
11-22-2007, 01:12 AM
My Dad called me tonight and said he saw the ad in USA Today as well. I didn't mention anything to him about it either. He said he liked it and that he showed it to all of his co-workers and they liked it as well. That's great, because I'm skeptical about how it was worded.

As far as people not doing anything, I completely agree. I hear people say all the time "I like Ron Paul's views, but he doesn't stand a chance." It's hard to get people to change their mindset when the American people have been conditioned for so long to think a certain way. I hope the ad brings new awareness though.

ronpaulyourmom
11-22-2007, 02:27 AM
To anybody measuring the success of this ad by watching webhits and teaparty07.com, I don't think that's a good way of looking at it.

The good thing about the ad was that it brought about critical thinking. It's success is not measured in web hits, but in whether or not the person reading it actually learned something from it. That's unlikely to translate into web hits, it's more likely to translate into a seed that will grow in the next week or two.

syborius
11-22-2007, 02:30 AM
That was one of the things I was fighting for. Didn't win out, though.

Same here...UNFORGETTABLE.... :rolleyes:

derdy
11-22-2007, 02:35 AM
Yea this add with get great bang for the buck. I am truly inspired by all the grass root support for Dr. Paul. Makes you feel like your part of something truly amazing.

YOU ARE!!!

WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG?!

James R
11-22-2007, 02:53 AM

Great to hear!

aksendz
11-22-2007, 03:08 AM
Loved the ad, we should do a national day of ads in every major newspaper. LA Times adspace is around 14k or thats what someone told me.

Even though people say he won't win, if they are asked in polls I believe they will say "Ron Paul" only boosting the poll numbers.

----
I loved the O'rly pic, laugh every time. And from that pic I deduce that this is my kind of forum :D

Mckarnin
11-22-2007, 03:36 AM
Very poor?? are you serious

he got it in on the busiest travel day of the year and inadvertantly fell into a 2 day run. What could have been better timing?????

you wouldn't want to do it the week of the 16th because people who still weren't sure wouldn't have much time to check him out online.

I am ignorant. What do you mean by a 2-day run?

:-)

wisconsinite
11-22-2007, 04:10 AM

Out came the slimjims. :D

He was very impressed that he's not a lawyer. He said a doctor would be good, but no more lawyers.

I blame Wolf Blitzer for reinforcing this confusion.

Man from La Mancha
11-22-2007, 04:26 AM

:-)Yea what do they mean 2 day run, did they make 4 million copies for 2 days?

AdoubleR
11-22-2007, 04:30 AM
I think it means that there isn't one being printed on the holiday, so people will need to read that one copy for two days... I could be wrong...

Alawn
11-22-2007, 04:33 AM

There isn't a Thursday version of the newspaper so they will still be selling the leftovers on Thursday.

sirachman
11-22-2007, 05:46 AM
Millions of people will be bored with their family, sitting at an airport, or checking the paper to catch up on their sports during these two days. This was a great two day stretch to run the ad and I am personally glad that he picked it.

llepard
11-22-2007, 05:49 AM
Yea what do they mean 2 day run, did they make 4 million copies for 2 days?

A two day run means that they do not print on Thanksgiving. So, the papers get sold on Wed. and Thur.

I don't think they print 2x the number they normally would, but they do print more.

I hope they printed a lot more.

We can all influence the legs that this adv. has.

Post it, Print It, Distribute It, talk about it. Pass it around.

Let's make this adv. the "Common Sense" of our time.

It is a clear call to action.

When confronted by those who are apathetic and say "He Can't Win", I say, I' m sure that is what the British thought when we wrote the Declaration.

He can win if we all work at it. Winning is nothing more than having the votes.

Personally I was really moved by a post made a long time ago by Kylejack, i think.

Paraphrasing, he said,

We have got to get together on this thing and work our guts out!

sirachman
11-22-2007, 06:31 AM
/agree

At the VERY least convert your family! OR excommunicate yourself from it trying!

ConstitutionGal
11-22-2007, 06:47 AM
/agree

At the VERY least convert your family! OR excommunicate yourself from it trying!

We've not only converted the family although I must admit that it didn't take very much actual converting because they've all heard me talk about Ron Paul for years now!! What is happening, however, is that the entire family is now actively converting others where they work and where they play. Of course, the ones in their twenties are having the easier time of it because most of their contemporaries have already heard of Dr Paul and only needed a little nudging to commit. Needless to say, we will continue the follow ups with our newer converts and will be reminding everyone about primary voting day!

BuddyRey
11-22-2007, 06:47 AM
Assuming enough people read it, I think this thing's gonna be a roaring success. My parents both loved it, and it was a kick for me to be able to read about RP in a newspaper (a rare pleasure.)

happyphilter
11-22-2007, 06:57 AM
You guys have to relax, its the holidays, nobody is going to be hopping on the internet right away to check ron paul out, I mean look at how the forum numbers have tanked this week.
What the AD is important for is name recognition, and I know a half dozen people who saw it.
The paper will also be laying around for a while so don't expect instant results, after all its a newspaper add, if you are looking for results on the internet than you should have used internet advertising. anyway im nto sober and dont even know if that makes sense, happy thanksgiving

wgadget
11-22-2007, 06:58 AM
Yup, I was just thinking about how EASY this ad makes it to begin some great family conversations about Ron Paul.....Who needs the internet when you can just whip out the USA Today ad???

Thanks again, Mr. Leppard!

freedom_junkie
11-22-2007, 07:18 AM
Last time I tried on Easter, my family is Catholic and was against throwing the illegal immigrants outta the country. I really was shocked and asked if they really wanted their Grandaughter/Neice/Third cousin who is really stuggling to make ends meet , pay for the swarm of illegals and the socilaist policies that they get for free? I think that got their attention. Good point to bring up. Granda just was happy I wasn't supporting Hilary LOL. Wish they would friggin vote and stop complaining.

Today is round 2 of Theresa vs. the entire family.

Maybe I'll do the TG prayer from this thread on the national Meetup board:

This is just a reminder of the "prayer bomb" on Thanksgiving at 9:00 p.m. Eastern. We ask that you join other Ron Paul members in prayer at this time. Join us with your families. I hope we can especially focus on:

Gratitude for our country, for the freedoms that we enjoy, and the sacrifices that have been made to give us those freedoms. Ask for aid for our nation. Ask for guidance in selecting our leaders in the upcoming elections. Pray for God's blessings upon our nations that we can restore the freedoms that we have lost.

Of course prayer is an intensely personal matter, so add, subtract any of the above, but please join us in a unified expression of gratitude and petition for aid. All faiths welcome - if you are agnostic or aetheist please send out "positive vibes" directed towards Congressman Paul specifically and your fellow Americans in general.

I will be without internet access for the next coupld of days, so I jst wanted to send out this last reminder before I left. If you all could send this out to your Meetups, it would be much appreciated!

God Bless you and yours, safe travels to those of you that will be on the road.

Kevin

troyd1
11-22-2007, 07:43 AM

Yea what do they mean 2 day run, did they make 4 million copies for 2 days?

Usa today does not print a paper on Thursday because of Thanksgiving so Wednesday will be around untl Friday.

Mckarnin
11-22-2007, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the explanations!