PDA

View Full Version : Homeowner shoots, kills car thief

green73
01-15-2013, 10:18 AM
SAN ANTONIO -- A man is dead and another is recovering in the hospital after police say they were shot while trying to steal an SUV from outside a home in an affluent neighborhood.

The deceased was identified as a 32-year-old man. His name was not immediately available.

The other suspect, a 37-year-old man, underwent surgery at San Antonio Military Medical Center. He was listed in stable condition on Tuesday morning.

San Antonio police said the two men tried to steal a Toyota Forerunner that was parked outside a home in the 600 block of Lightstone Drive in Stone Oak.

The owner of the SUV was inside a home visiting family when he heard the alleged thieves around 1:30 a.m. Tuesday.

The 25-year-old man stepped outside with a gun, confronted the men and opened fire. He told police he thought one of the men also had a gun.

Neighbors reported hearing five to eight gunshots.

Police said one of the thieves, who was standing by in a getaway car, drove off after getting shot but crashed into a parked car about a block away.

A homeowner near the crash said he went outside and tried to get the wounded man's name, but all he could say was "I feel like I'm dying."

Officers tried to revive the man but could not.

The other man was taken to San Antonio Military Medical Center.

Police said the shooter, whose name was not immediately available, is not expected to face charges because he was protecting his property.

http://www.kens5.com/news/SAPD-Car-thief-killed-another-wounded-outside-Stone-Oak-home-186923501.html

phill4paul
01-15-2013, 10:25 AM
Where would I rather live? San Antonio? New York City? San Antonio? New York City? hmmmmmmmmmmm.

youngbuck
01-15-2013, 10:27 AM
I almost feel sorry for somebody that would risk their life to steal a vehicle...

BAllen
01-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Found this link for the crime rate:
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/tx/san-antonio/crescent-oaks/#crime

aGameOfThrones
01-15-2013, 11:10 AM
Should have checked if San Antonio had an interactive map of gun owners before trying to steal a car.

libertariantexas
01-15-2013, 11:12 AM
One less scumbag in San Antonio.

Unfortunately, his marksmanship wasn't as good on the second scumbag.

Good thing the homeowner was in Texas, because if he did this in NY, the car owner probably go to jail for violating the rights of the scumbags.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/1-dead-1-wounded-as-Stone-Oak-man-thwarts-4195158.php

Brian4Liberty
01-15-2013, 11:26 AM
This is not going to help the cause of gun rights. It may reduce the crime rate though.

If the Police did this, i.e. shooting someone dead, some (especially here) would question it, but most mundanes would readily accept it. In this case like this though, it will result in a cry from the brainwashed masses to ban civilian guns. Only the government can kill people. That's their logic.

nobody's_hero
01-15-2013, 11:47 AM
This is not going to help the cause of gun rights. It may reduce the crime rate though.

If the Police did this, i.e. shooting someone dead, some (especially here) would question it, but most mundanes would readily accept it. In this case like this though, it will result in a cry from the brainwashed masses to ban civilian guns. Only the government can kill people. That's their logic.

There's a reason why criminals are more fearful of armed civilians than they are of cops.

seapilot
01-15-2013, 12:08 PM
As a public service the national media should report these stories where people actively defend themselves against criminals. It would no doubt reduce crime. Think bernie goetz in NY. After that incident crime went way down and there were some public officials that did not like that it was not from the well crafted bills they wrote and passed.

BAllen
01-15-2013, 01:48 PM
As a public service the national media should report these stories where people actively defend themselves against criminals. It would no doubt reduce crime. Think bernie goetz in NY. After that incident crime went way down and there were some public officials that did not like that it was not from the well crafted bills they wrote and passed.

I'm not doubting you, but do you have any online info to back that up? It would be good ammo for gun rights.

paulbot24
01-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Was it just me or did the article sound more like a diatribe about the poor "victims" who were stealing the car? The man defending himself and his property was "the shooter" who "opened fire" and all this about the poor deceased who couldn't be revived and the critically injured. Or maybe it is just me.:confused:

seapilot
01-15-2013, 02:29 PM
I'm not doubting you, but do you have any online info to back that up? It would be good ammo for gun rights.

Newspaper article from the time said robbery dropped 8 % immediately following the incident. Of course people interpret statistics differently.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1454&dat=19850128&id=tkdOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=oRMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6721,7282719

CT4Liberty
01-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Was it just me or did the article sound more like a diatribe about the poor "victims" who were stealing the car? The man defending himself and his property was "the shooter" who "opened fire" and all this about the poor deceased who couldn't be revived and the critically injured. Or maybe it is just me.:confused:

I read it the same way... thinking the media will help, as someone else suggested, is naive.