PDA

View Full Version : Long Island high school on lockdown

tangent4ronpaul
01-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Elmont Memorial High School has been placed on lockdown after a report of a suspicious person, possibly with a weapon, in the area, CBS Station WCBS reports.

The lockdown was put into effect shortly after 8 a.m., in response to a 911 call.

No injuries have been reported.

Nassau County Police are guarding the entrance of school. SWAT teams were also seen in front of the school building.

A search of the school and the area is ongoing.

Radio Station WINS reports students were kept in classrooms with locked doors and the lights turned out. Some students were turned away because they were arriving at school as the lockdown was beginning.

WINS correspondent Glenn Schuck reports police helicopters also searched the surrounding area by air.

Parents received "robo-calls" notifying them of the situation.

====
sorry kids - we're doing the police state thing as a precaution. Sorry can't let you in. Now scoot and go play with the nice gunman that's in the area... :rolleyes:

-t

roho76
01-15-2013, 10:17 AM
I have to imagine this is nothing but good for homeschooling. I bet those who can afford to do it are already thinking about it if not pursuing it at this moment. Your kid is a sitting duck in these places.

youngbuck
01-15-2013, 10:31 AM
I bet a guy was moving a hunting rifle from the trunk of his vehicle to his garage, and some busy-body saw something and then said something, like a good little citizen.

BAllen
01-15-2013, 10:39 AM
You know, if they over-react like this, based on a rumor, ............................:D

Voluntary Man
01-15-2013, 10:41 AM
I have to imagine this is nothing but good for homeschooling. I bet those who can afford to do it are already thinking about it if not pursuing it at this moment. Your kid is a sitting duck in these places.

Parents ought to form a class action lawsuit against the DoEd and every local school board, until compulsory schooling is ended.

Lucille
01-15-2013, 10:44 AM

Radio Station WINS reports students were kept in classrooms with locked doors and the lights turned out. Some students were turned away because they were arriving at school as the lockdown was beginning.

====
sorry kids - we're doing the police state thing as a precaution. Sorry can't let you in. Now scoot and go play with the nice gunman that's in the area... :rolleyes:

-t

Right?! WTF... I'd be furious if 1) I got a robocall about this, and 2) they turned my kid loose into the area. Why not load them back on the buses and take them home, for crying out loud?!

libertygrl
01-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Elmont Memorial High School has been placed on lockdown after a report of a suspicious person, possibly with a weapon, in the area, CBS Station WCBS reports.

The lockdown was put into effect shortly after 8 a.m., in response to a 911 call.

No injuries have been reported.

Nassau County Police are guarding the entrance of school. SWAT teams were also seen in front of the school building.

A search of the school and the area is ongoing.

WINS correspondent Glenn Schuck reports police helicopters also searched the surrounding area by air.

====

-t

(sign)..... just another lovely day in the neighborhood....

chudrockz
01-15-2013, 11:28 AM
I bet a guy was moving a hunting rifle from the trunk of his vehicle to his garage, and some busy-body saw something and then said something, like a good little citizen.

A scenario like this actually freaks me out quite a bit. I live less than a block from an elementary school. I like to go target shooting sometimes out in the country. But that requires me to move a gun, or guns, from my house to my truck. ALERT! ALERT!!

Sigh

gwax23
01-15-2013, 12:44 PM
I live near there. Seems like a typical overreaction.

Good news is at least some of the kids didnt have to sit and listen to government indoctrination for a day.

paulbot24
01-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Another consequence of the "See something.....say something" idea. Come to think of it, wasn't that the Gestapo's slogan?

Tod
01-15-2013, 01:14 PM

Or maybe a guy was loading his guns into a vehicle as part of a move out of state...

Anti Federalist
01-15-2013, 01:22 PM
Another day in the Home of the Brave.

tod evans
01-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Another day in the Home of the Brave.

Trembling in fear, unarmed in the dark......

Don't worry though Big Brother is on the scene....

Anti Federalist
01-17-2013, 08:41 PM
It was a lime green Nerf shooter...FFS.

See Something Say Something.

Those Fatal Nerf Guns

Posted by Becky Akers on January 17, 2013 10:34 AM

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/130774.html

"A lime-green Nerf toy gun caused an hours-long lock-down at a Long Island school on Tuesday."

Yes! You know, you have to go a very long way to beat the absurdities of the TSA, but I believe we may have with this story: "A 911 caller told Nassau County Police she saw a suspicious teen at about 7:38 a.m. Tuesday ... The caller said he was also carrying a lime green gun." Hmm. Might that have been a clue that we're dealing with a toy? Meanwhile, this is precisely why the DHS's Orwellian campaign to turn us all into snitches, "See Something, Say Something," is so preposterous: because morons who spot a Nerf report it and idiots respond to those reports.

No matter: "A SWAT team searched the school room by room. Parents were allowed to pick up their children early Tuesday afternoon." Emphasis added. "They eventually found the toy lime green and yellow lever action" -- oh, "yellow lever action"! Why didn't you say so? No wonder allegedly mature adults panicked! -- "Nerf gun in a student locker. Police did not make any arrests" -- there's a surprise! -- "and the lockdown was lifted. School officials confiscated the toy gun and say it will be returned to the parents." Living dangerously, huh, guys?

"Inspector Kenneth Lack says the heightened response was due to 'an abundance of precaution.'" Not according to my dictionary, Ken. What we've got here is an abundance of stupidity -- jaw-dropping, abysmal, utterly ludicrous stupidity. (Thanks to Charles Everett for sending me the article. No doubt he's still doubled over laughing, as am I.)

BAllen
01-18-2013, 07:35 AM
It was a lime green Nerf shooter...FFS.

See Something Say Something.

Those Fatal Nerf Guns

Posted by Becky Akers on January 17, 2013 10:34 AM

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/130774.html

"A lime-green Nerf toy gun caused an hours-long lock-down at a Long Island school on Tuesday."

Yes! You know, you have to go a very long way to beat the absurdities of the TSA, but I believe we may have with this story: "A 911 caller told Nassau County Police she saw a suspicious teen at about 7:38 a.m. Tuesday ... The caller said he was also carrying a lime green gun." Hmm. Might that have been a clue that we're dealing with a toy? Meanwhile, this is precisely why the DHS's Orwellian campaign to turn us all into snitches, "See Something, Say Something," is so preposterous: because morons who spot a Nerf report it and idiots respond to those reports.

No matter: "A SWAT team searched the school room by room. Parents were allowed to pick up their children early Tuesday afternoon." Emphasis added. "They eventually found the toy lime green and yellow lever action" -- oh, "yellow lever action"! Why didn't you say so? No wonder allegedly mature adults panicked! -- "Nerf gun in a student locker. Police did not make any arrests" -- there's a surprise! -- "and the lockdown was lifted. School officials confiscated the toy gun and say it will be returned to the parents." Living dangerously, huh, guys?

"Inspector Kenneth Lack says the heightened response was due to 'an abundance of precaution.'" Not according to my dictionary, Ken. What we've got here is an abundance of stupidity -- jaw-dropping, abysmal, utterly ludicrous stupidity. (Thanks to Charles Everett for sending me the article. No doubt he's still doubled over laughing, as am I.)

Maybe the person who reported this was one of us. Report suspicious activity and let them over-react and look like fools. If this were done repeatedly, they may give up on that idea. At the least, you tie up their resources and waste their time. And expose the police state in a negative light to the public. This story got mass coverage in the msm.

NCGOPer_for_Paul
01-18-2013, 08:41 AM
So, in other words, if a kid actually walked a mile or so to school and had no idea that there was a "dangerous gunman on the loose", the kid would be turned away from the school (where said student is SUPPOSED to be), because the school is on lockdown, EVEN IF THERE ACTUALLY WAS a "dangerous gunman on the loose'?

Far better for the student to be shot out in the open, right?

I thought schools were supposed to be "safe places"? Guess not if someone is actually outside possibly shooting an "assault rifle". No kid, you aren't welcome in the school that your community is overtaxed and overregulated for.

Do people involved in news reporting even read the stories for logic and reasoning any more? Better yet, do PEOPLE IN GENERAL?

specsaregood
01-18-2013, 08:44 AM
So, in other words, if a kid actually walked a mile or so to school and had no idea that there was a "dangerous gunman on the loose", the kid would be turned away from the school (where said student is SUPPOSED to be), because the school is on lockdown, EVEN IF THERE ACTUALLY WAS a "dangerous gunman on the loose'?

Yeah, doesn't make sense. Perhaps the cops knew it was a bullshit report and had other reasons for acting the way they did.

tod evans
01-18-2013, 08:52 AM
Yeah, doesn't make sense. Perhaps the cops knew it was a bullshit report and had other reasons for acting the way they did.

Perhaps "The-Newz" reported as they did to push an agenda...

Henry Rogue
01-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Well at least SWAT didn't execute the nerf wielding teen.