PDA

View Full Version : NY seals 1st state gun laws since Newtown massacre

aGameOfThrones
01-15-2013, 06:52 AM
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — New York lawmakers agreed to pass the toughest gun control law in the nation and the first since the Newtown, Conn., school shooting, and now dare other states and Washington to follow.

"This is a scourge on society," Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Monday night, six days after making gun control a centerpiece of his progressive agenda in his State of the State address. The bipartisan effort was fueled by the Newtown tragedy that took the lives of 20 first graders and six educators. "At what point do you say, 'No more innocent loss of life.'"
Sen. Jeffrey Klein, leader of the Independent Democratic Conference in the Senate, said it is landmark legislation. "This is not about taking anyone's rights away," said Klein, a Bronx Democrat. "It's about a safe society ... today we are setting the mark for the rest of the county to do what's right."

The measure, which calls for a tougher assault weapons ban and restrictions on ammunition and the sale of guns, passed the Senate 43-18 on the strength of support from Democrats, many of whom previously sponsored bills that were once blocked by Republicans. The Democrat-led Assembly gaveled out before midnight and planned to take the issue up at 10 a.m. Tuesday. It is expected to pass easily.

The governor confirmed the proposal, previously worked out in closed session, also would mandate a police registry of assault weapons, grandfathering in assault weapons already in private hands.

It would create a more powerful tool to require the reporting of mentally ill people who say they intend to use a gun illegally and would address the unsafe storage of guns, the governor confirmed.

It was agreed upon exactly a month since the Sandy Hook Elementary School tragedy.

"It is well-balanced, it protects the Second Amendment," said Senate Republican leader Dean Skelos of Long Island.

"And there is no confiscation of weapons, which was at one time being considered.

"This is going to go after those who are bringing illegal guns into the state, who are slaughtering people in New York City," Skelos said. "This is going to put people in jail and keep people in jail who shouldn't be out on the street in the first place."

http://news.yahoo.com/ny-seals-1st-state-gun-laws-since-newtown-074653716.html

TheTexan
01-15-2013, 07:11 AM
And so it begins.

tod evans
01-15-2013, 07:13 AM
"And there is no confiscation of weapons, which was at one time being considered.

That he would even admit publically that such behavior was on the table should be enough to have him immediately impeached!

Treasonous bastard. :mad:

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-15-2013, 07:14 AM
"It is well-balanced, it protects the Second Amendment," said Senate Republican leader Dean Skelos of Long Island.

That's just stupid. I hope he's not really a "leader" of anything or anyone.

TheTexan
01-15-2013, 07:16 AM
That he would even admit publically that such behavior was on the table should be enough to have him immediately impeached!

It was probably taken off the table because it occurred to them they didn't know who did and did not have guns.

They have to register them first, obviously

kahless
01-15-2013, 07:22 AM
"This is going to go after those who are bringing illegal guns into the state, who are slaughtering people in New York City," Skelos said. "This is going to put people in jail and keep people in jail who shouldn't be out on the street in the first place."

So people that previously ignored the law will now obey this new law. Skelos sounds delusional.

seyferjm
01-15-2013, 07:24 AM
Do these morons actually think that this law will stop ILLEGAL guns? ROFL, wow.

TheTexan
01-15-2013, 07:25 AM
Do these morons actually think that this law will stop ILLEGAL guns? ROFL, wow.

No, they actually don't. And they don't care. You don't need guns, therefore you shouldn't have them. Period. End of story.

tod evans
01-15-2013, 07:26 AM
What is the procedure to impeach in N.Y.?

Somebody needs to get on the ball!

shane77m
01-15-2013, 07:35 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-kvkMHPTQV8E/TrttBo_XoWI/AAAAAAAABcE/mU1FLfIhY20/s1600/tarredandfeathered.png

KingRobbStark
01-15-2013, 08:29 AM
What is the procedure to impeach in N.Y.?

Somebody needs to get on the ball!

Do you seriously think the Obama drones in New York will bother?

chudrockz
01-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Is it time for a new Declaration of Independence yet?

:(

pacodever
01-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Great job NY! Now mass shootings will require a couple additional seconds for a reload if the shooter decides to follow the law. You also made thousands of law abiding citizens criminals overnight . Not to mention losing 1,000 jobs from Remington and creating a larger black market (and more crime) for rifles and magazines. Great job!

Matthew5
01-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Great job NY! Now mass shootings will require a couple additional seconds for a reload if the shooter decides to follow the law. You also made thousands of law abiding citizens criminals overnight . Not to mention losing 1,000 jobs from Remington and creating a larger black market (and more crime) for rifles and magazines. Great job!

It's what they want. They relish the fact that they can now hire more cops to "keep on eye on the black market". Control is the opiate of the government.

Steve-in-NY
01-15-2013, 09:46 AM
There are A LOT of us, probably not enough, but a lot.

pacodever
01-15-2013, 09:48 AM
It's what they want. They relish the fact that they can now hire more cops to "keep on eye on the black market". Control is the opiate of the government.

And have a list and address of every registered "assault" weapon owner, which is sure to be abused.

Why stop there? I think every assault weapon owner and family should be madet to wear some kind of identifying mark on their garments so they can be easily identified and dealt with accordingly for our safely.

Steve-in-NY
01-15-2013, 09:52 AM
There are a lot of us in NY that are upset by this - and its made more than thousands of us criminals, more along the lines of tens maybe hundred thousand. Anything with over a 10 round capacity? "Assault weapons" having "1 point" now? Every single handgun is now an "assault weapon" in NY! this is absolute madness and I cant even begin to express how I feel. Its like Im living in bizarro world! Im trying to escape this wretched state by years end before they come for my magazines since I now have to register my "assault" rifles and need background checks on ammunition purchases and they come to somehow enforce "unsafe storage" in my home.

It is incredible that this was even suggested, let alone passed

Cleaner44
01-15-2013, 09:59 AM
I look forward to seeing their gun murder stats a year from now. Something tells me they won't be lower.

aGameOfThrones
01-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Not to be undone... NJ to the rescue.

phill4paul
01-15-2013, 10:05 AM
There are a lot of us in NY that are upset by this - and its made more than thousands of us criminals, more along the lines of tens maybe hundred thousand. Anything with over a 10 round capacity? "Assault weapons" having "1 point" now? Every single handgun is now an "assault weapon" in NY! this is absolute madness and I cant even begin to express how I feel. Its like Im living in bizarro world! Im trying to escape this wretched state by years end before they come for my magazines since I now have to register my "assault" rifles and need background checks on ammunition purchases and they come to somehow enforce "unsafe storage" in my home.

It is incredible that this was even suggested, let alone passed

Then tens and hundreds of thousands need to walk through the street bearing their arms straight to the NY State Capitol building and shout "Hell no!".

I look forward to seeing their gun murder stats a year from now. Something tells me they won't be lower.

I guarantee they won't be keeping stats on how many disarmed citizens were affected by it.

Tod
01-15-2013, 10:07 AM
Still think something like Feinstein's proposal won't be enacted, one way or another?

libertygrl
01-15-2013, 10:15 AM

It is incredible that this was even suggested, let alone passed Wouldn't the next step be to contact our local county sheriffs??

The only person who is authorized to protect our rights is the County Sheriff. h ttp://www.countysheriffproject.org/cspoa-las-vegas-2012

I don't know about Nassau County but the only decent Sheriff on LI that I know of, is in Suffolk County - Sheriff Vincent DeMarco:
h ttp://www.suffolkcountyny.gov/sheriff/Home.aspx

Suffolk County, Long Island Sheriff, Vincent DeMarco meets with "Save Long Island" to talk about his experience of participating in Sheriff Richard Mack's Constitutional Sheriff's Conference. He was the only Sheriff from New York State who attended this conference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7I7tMyC8uA&feature=player_embedded

Lucille
01-15-2013, 10:18 AM
Still think something like Feinstein's proposal won't be enacted, one way or another?

I think it will be. The admin. will GOTV on this too, and his drones will inundate CONgress with letters begging for it:

But Biden did indicate that the remains of the Obama campaign apparatus may be activated in the effort (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?401364-White-House-readies-19-executive-actions-on-guns).

“He said that this has been a real focus on the policy and that the politics of this issue, that a strategy on the politics of the issue hasn’t been undertaken yet,” Rep. Jackie Speier (D-Calif.) told POLITICO. “He did remind us that the campaign infrastructure is still accessible.”

It's how that epic failure was reelected.

phill4paul
01-15-2013, 10:21 AM
I think it will be. The admin. will GOTV on this too, and his drones will inundate CONgress with letters begging for it:

It's how that epic failure was reelected.

I think you are right.

Tod
01-15-2013, 10:25 AM
Have New Yorkers set a public protest date? Armed citizens in Albany? Network of meet up places for convoys to Albany?

Steve-in-NY
01-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Wouldn't the next step be to contact our local county sheriffs??

The only person who is authorized to protect our rights is the County Sheriff. h ttp://www.countysheriffproject.org/cspoa-las-vegas-2012

I don't know about Nassau County but the only decent Sheriff on LI that I know of, is in Suffolk County - Sheriff Vincent DeMarco:
h ttp://www.suffolkcountyny.gov/sheriff/Home.aspx

Suffolk County, Long Island Sheriff, Vincent DeMarco meets with "Save Long Island" to talk about his experience of participating in Sheriff Richard Mack's Constitutional Sheriff's Conference. He was the only Sheriff from New York State who attended this conference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7I7tMyC8uA&feature=player_embedded

Yes, thats the step Im on now. Also contacting local police (I personally know and am friends with a Lieutenant, a Sargent and a Captain) and every single gun shop, range, hunting/sportsman clubs etc and seeing what can be done and whats being organized.

This is nothing short of insanity.

libertygrl
01-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Yes, thats the step Im on now. Also contacting local police (I personally know and am friends with a Lieutenant, a Sargent and a Captain) and every single gun shop, range, hunting/sportsman clubs etc and seeing what can be done and whats being organized.

This is nothing short of insanity.

Do you belong to any local groups Steve? The only group I know of locally who are joining the Gun Appreciation Day Rally this Saturday is the Conservative Society for Action. I don't believe rallys do much, but I guess people don't know what to do at this point. Perhaps coordinating all these groups together along with your connections might be beneficial for all. Here's their meetup page: http://www.meetup.com/csa-1776/

AuH20
01-15-2013, 11:30 AM
The Nassau County Sheriff is compromised I hear.

Tod
01-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Do you belong to any local groups Steve? The only group I know of locally who are joining the Gun Appreciation Day Rally this Saturday is the Conservative Society for Action. I don't believe rallys do much, but I guess people don't know what to do at this point. Perhaps coordinating all these groups together along with your connections might be beneficial for all. Here's their meetup page: http://www.meetup.com/csa-1776/

That is going to be a problem for us: knowing what steps to take at any given time, since none of us have faced this before, and it greatly works against us.

AuH20
01-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Citizens upstate are irate I hear. Crazy rumblings north of Dol Goldur. Blaming it on the filth that call themselves Long Island politicians, which is an established fact.

Acala
01-15-2013, 11:49 AM

Not at the Federal level. NY is FAR from an indicator of the political reality in the rest of the USA. You already have both the NRA and adminstration spokesmen essentially saying that there is not going to be a rifle ban at the Federal level.

Many political careers were derailed in the aftermath of the last Federal gun ban, including Tom Foley, the only Speaker of the House to ever lose a re-election bid. Gun control is political poison at the Federal level unless you come from some commie rat hole like NY, NJ, or California.

But that is just the Federal level. Who knows what some particular states and cities will do. I hope one of them goes all out for confiscation and they get a taste of armed resistance.

TheTexan
01-15-2013, 11:52 AM
If you're in New York, whatever you do, do NOT register your guns.

John F Kennedy III
01-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Ok so what does this bill actually do?

How does it protect the 2nd Amendment?

What's their definition of "illegal guns"?

John F Kennedy III
01-15-2013, 11:56 AM

I agree. Our rights are taken away a piece at a time. He was wanting to go for the whole damn enchilada. Meaning next there will be outright bans on certain weapons.

Chris from Upstate NY
01-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Citizens upstate are irate I hear. Crazy rumblings north of Dol Goldur. Blaming it on the filth that call themselves Long Island politicians, which is an established fact.

To say we are irate is an understatement. I called in to work and I have been on the phone and the computer all day. Stopped down to my local gunshop who I have been doing business with for years to get his opinion. The only thing I am hearing is the rally on Saturday. I am still in that shock and amazed state where i don't think it has sunk in yet. People are so amazed and baffled and like you said they are still trying to figure out the steps of what to do next. One thing is for sure... this solidified my family's move out of this liberal hell hole. Cuomo was nice enough to give us one year to comply, which means one year to job/home search. How about that free state project? Only a stones throw away really.

Acala
01-15-2013, 12:40 PM
I sure hope there are enough patriots left in that wretched place to put on a show. It really concerns me just how fast the world-class stupidity of politicians could lead to shots fired in anger. And once the shooting starts, emotions take over and there is no stopping the thing. We might get to see history being made.

gwax23
01-15-2013, 12:41 PM
As a New Yorker and more Specifically a Long Islander I can say for a fact that this law can solely be blamed on politicians from Long Island, the 5 boroughs, and maybe some of the suburbs north of new york (West Chester, and Rockland).

Upstate New York is a whole different world. Im sure they are going to be up in Arms about this.

ZENemy
01-15-2013, 12:59 PM
Is it time for a new Declaration of Independence yet?

:(

No, you need to donate to some politician immediately to fix this! /sarcoff

Tod
01-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Not at the Federal level. NY is FAR from an indicator of the political reality in the rest of the USA. You already have both the NRA and adminstration spokesmen essentially saying that there is not going to be a rifle ban at the Federal level.

Many political careers were derailed in the aftermath of the last Federal gun ban, including Tom Foley, the only Speaker of the House to ever lose a re-election bid. Gun control is political poison at the Federal level unless you come from some commie rat hole like NY, NJ, or California.

But that is just the Federal level. Who knows what some particular states and cities will do. I hope one of them goes all out for confiscation and they get a taste of armed resistance.

Dream on. I only wish you were right, but I think that is wishful thinking.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/obama-plans-to-surround-himself-with-children-during-gun-control-announcement/article/2518621?fb_action_ids=10152450323625078&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map={%2210152450323625078%22%3A31757 6901675232}&action_type_map={%2210152450323625078%22%3A%22og.l ikes%22}&action_ref_map=

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney announced this afternoon that President Obama will unveil a “concrete package” of gun control proposals including assault weapons bans, high capacity ammunition magazine bans, and closing loopholes on background checks.

Steve-in-NY
01-15-2013, 01:41 PM

Just have some people with the smiths point fish and hunt club. You can be damn sure I'm calling them now.

I just got back from a local gun shop here on long island - I went at lunch. The place is a madhouse. The shelves are bare. There are literally NO magazines for ANYTHING left other than some 30 round AR mags going for $89/ea and they are sitting since they have a year to be sold/destroyed according to this bill.
The owner is staying open till midnight. People are walking in with gun cases and people are stopping them in the parking lot "What you got? How much?" There is ONE Bushmaster AR-15 left (the remaining 5 I saw are sold - usually 50+ in stock) with a price tag of 3700 and I bet its gone already. My friend bought the last Saiga 223 for 800. Hi-points have been gone since day one as well as any mags for them, thats the 9, 40 and 45's. Owner said he didnt bother opening the boxes, they were literally sold as they came in. Ammo is pretty much gone too, and the prices are insane (see: $15 for 20 rounds of 5.45 etc) Owner lamenting the bill and saying hes done. Been here for 30 years, and he's closing down. This kills 50% of his business and the FFLs on ammo are gonna kill the rest.

I have NEVER seen anything like this before. Its crazy.

There are a lot of people trying to find out whats going on.
I wish I had something to tell them.
I am thinking about getting some info and posting it at my local shops. Something.

Its like the day the music died out here.

AuH20
01-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Just have some people with the smiths point fish and hunt club. You can be damn sure I'm calling them now.

I just got back from a local gun shop here on long island - I went at lunch. The place is a madhouse. The shelves are bare. There are literally NO magazines for ANYTHING left other than some 30 round AR mags going for $89/ea and they are sitting since they have a year to be sold/destroyed according to this bill.
The owner is staying open till midnight. People are walking in with gun cases and people are stopping them in the parking lot "What you got? How much?" There is ONE Bushmaster AR-15 left (the remaining 5 I saw are sold - usually 50+ in stock) with a price tag of 3700 and I bet its gone already. My friend bought the last Saiga 223 for 800. Hi-points have been gone since day one as well as any mags for them, thats the 9, 40 and 45's. Owner said he didnt bother opening the boxes, they were literally sold as they came in. Ammo is pretty much gone too, and the prices are insane (see: $15 for 20 rounds of 5.45 etc) Owner lamenting the bill and saying hes done. Been here for 30 years, and he's closing down. This kills 50% of his business and the FFLs on ammo are gonna kill the rest.

I am thinking about getting some info and posting it at my local shops. Something.

What shop if I may ask? Campsite?

Steve-in-NY
01-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Chesters

-edit
Now I hear Obama going to be talking about a federal "AW"B

Im actually thinking about selling one of my pieces of hardware today at these outrageously high prices while I can (before its federal) to pay off my debt and prepare to GTFO of this ridiculous state once and for all. Thoughts? Am I knee-jerking as well?

Lucille
01-15-2013, 01:59 PM

It really is different this time.

As I surveyed the store, I noticed no discernible demographic pattern among the customers. They included elderly ladies, young couples, construction workers, police officers and hipster techies as well as people from virtually every ethnic and socio-economic background. They would have made the perfect tapestry for a politician's campaign stop.

"So this is what it looks like when a society starts to collapse," I reflected on what the man behind the counter had said. As melodramatic as his words were, they would be understood by any student of human history.
[...]
"It's different this time. The last time, with the Clinton gun ban, people knew that it would be temporary. The economy was good and people didn't really care. This time… well, it's different."
[...]
In my view, the spectacle in the gun store, which apparently has played out nationwide, is a clear indication that people are doing the equivalent of "shorting" social stability. This is clearly concerning, because the extent to which we can plan our future is directly related to the faith we can reasonably place in social stability.

phill4paul
01-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Chesters

-edit

Im actually thinking about selling one of my pieces of hardware today at these outrageously high prices while I can (before its federal) to pay off my debt and prepare to GTFO of this ridiculous state once and for all. Thoughts? Am I knee-jerking as well?

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/155884_o.gif

bolil
01-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Some more descriptions and provisions from nycourts.gov:

It seems like the NYSAFE act is set to go in effect and, if historical trends hold true,will soon follow the paths of past tyrannies from north and east to south and west. I thought I would look for provisions that struck me as selectively vague and open to selective interpretation and enforcement.

Heres the text: hxxp://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S2230-2013

Well... If I actually did that I would just be copying the entire act. The provisions are not looking to hot thought.

"...providing for the mandatory
suspension or revocation of the firearms license(Do they let them keep the gun when they lose the licesnse?) of a person against
whom an order of protection or a temporary order of protection has been
issued under certain circumstances..."(From the description of the act)

And how hard is it to be granted an order of protection? Could I use, say, cyber bullying to obtain an order of protection. It is purely administrative task requiring no extra personnel. Lets take a look at what it takes to obtain an order of protection in New York:

"TO THE FAMILY COURT:
The undersigned Petitioner respectfully states that:
1. a. I reside at [specify address unless confidential]:
b. The Respondent resides at [specify]:
2. a. “ The Respondent and I are related as follows [check applicable box(es)]:
“ we are married “ we were married
“ we have a child in common “ we are parent & child
“ we are related by blood or marriage [specify how]:
“ we are in an intimate relationship (NOT casual social or business acquaintances)
[describe]:
“ we were in an intimate relationship (NOT casual social or business
acquaintances) [describe]:
b. “ I am a peace officer.

3. The Respondent(you) committed the following family offense(s) against me and/or my
children, which constitute(s):
” Disorderly conduct..."

Isn't disorderly conduct the catchall of ze peace officers?

"...This legislation will protect New Yorkers by reducing the availability
of assault weapons and deterring the criminal use of firearms while
promoting a fair, consistent and efficient method of ensuring that
sportsmen and other legal gun owners have full enjoyment of the guns
to which they are entitled..."(From P1 of the purpose)

Entitled. Why wouldn't they put "self-defense" in their and allow people to, maybe construe, sporting being a legal reason for ownership.

"A statewide database will keep the registry current and
guard against the dangerous (OP-Consider the case of Brandon Raub) or unstable possessing guns..."(P3 of Purpose)

"Section 37 of the bill amends Penal Law � 265.00(22) in order to
strengthen New York's assault weapon ban, expanding its reach and
making it easier to enforce. The proposed amendments replace the
existing ban consisting of and a "two-feature" test adopted from the
now-expired federal assault weapons ban with a clearer "one-feature"
test. The "two-feature" test bans any gun that is semi-automatic, has
a detachable magazine (in the case of pistols and rifles), and
possesses two features that are commonly associated with military
weapons. The "one-feature" test would ban semi-automatic guns with
detachable magazines that possess one feature commonly associated
with military weapons. This section also adds to the list of
"features" that characterize a banned weapon."(P1 Summary of Provisions, Assault weapons)

Is the magazine itself commonly associated with military weapons? I would like a list of features. The only feature being openly admitted is a pistol grip. Im sure the list includes modern sights but would like a look at all of it.

"Within one year of the effective date, all weapons defined as assault
weapons under the new "one-feature" test, as well as weapons
grandfathered in under the original assault weapons ban, must be
registered. Current owners of these banned weapons may transfer the
weapons only to a firearms dealer or transfer to an out of state
buyer. All registered owners will be subject to a review of
disqualifiers by the State Police."

Looks like the state police will be hiring. Citizens of New York will have the rights vetted by a list of disqualifiers when purchasing ammo as well.

This is from the bill itself.
22. "Assault weapon" means [(a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an
ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the
following characteristics:
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of
the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a
flash suppressor;
(v) a grenade launcher; or
(b) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following
characteristics:
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of
the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds;
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine; or
(c) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable
magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics:

S. 2230 18 A. 2388
(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the
pistol grip;
(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash
suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encir-
cles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with
the nontrigger hand without being burned;
(iv) a manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is
unloaded;
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic rifle, shotgun or firearm;
or
(d) any of the weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such
weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber, known
as:
(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all
models);
(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;
(iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);
(iv) Colt AR-15;
(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;
(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;
(vii) Steyr AUG;
(viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and
(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street
Sweeper and Striker 12;

S 265.01 Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree.
A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth
degree when:

(1) He or she possesses any firearm, electronic dart gun, electronic
stun gun, gravity knife, switchblade knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal
knuckle knife, cane sword, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, plastic knuckles,
metal knuckles, chuka stick, sand bag, sandclub, wrist-brace type sling
shot or slungshot, shirken or "Kung Fu star"; or
(2) He possesses any dagger, dangerous knife, dirk, razor, stiletto,
imitation pistol, or any other dangerous or deadly instrument or weapon
with intent to use the same unlawfully against another; or..."

Kung Fu stars.

"The new law also provides a mechanism to identify individual who
purchase unusually high volumes of ammunition, either in person or
over the Internet. Sellers must run the buyer's name through a State
database modeled after the federal "NICS" database to ensure the
buyer is not prohibited by law from possessing ammunition. Ammunition
sellers are also required to electronically file with the State
records of each ammunition sale, including amount sold."

Tod
01-15-2013, 02:11 PM

Your shop actually had 30 round AR mags in stock???? My local shop hasn't had any for a month now, and they haven't had any .223/5.56 ammo in a few weeks.

Steve-in-NY
01-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Your shop actually had 30 round AR mags in stock???? My local shop hasn't had any for a month now, and they haven't had any .223/5.56 ammo in a few weeks. Yep, I saw about maybe 15 of them 4 hours ago selling for $89/ea. Chesters, Suffolk County NY. Cant say they are still there. Good luck calling, phone was ringing off the hook the entire hour I was there.

shane77m
01-15-2013, 03:41 PM
http://www.classicfirearms.com/accessories/acar30tapco

AR-15 Gen II Magazine 30 Round .223 Rem/5.56 NATO Polymer Black, by Tapco

Availability: In Stock
Item #:ACCAR30-Tapco
$19.99

I don't have anything that would use these but someone on here might.

Lucille
01-15-2013, 05:00 PM
New York's New Gun Controls Make the PATRIOT Act Look Like a Model of Legislative Deliberation
http://reason.com/blog/2013/01/15/new-yorks-gun-controls-make-the-patriot

..."The guns package was negotiated privately by the governor and legislative leaders over the last several weeks," The New York Times reports, "but was only completed late Monday," so "rank-and-file Senators had only a few minutes to read the legislation before voting on it."

By comparison, the panicky passage of the PATRIOT Act was a model of legislative deliberation. While six weeks passed between 9/11 and George W. Bush's signing of the PATRIOT Act, only four passed between the Sandy Hook massacre and Andrew Cuomo's signing of New York's new gun controls. And unlike the New York legislature, Congress was actually in session during that period.

Such "unusual haste" (as the Times describes it) deviates from the normal rule, laid out in Article II, Section 14 of the New York Constitution, that at least three days must elapse between the introduction of a bill and a vote on it. The constitition allows an exception when the governor publicly explains "the facts which in his or her opinion necessitate an immediate vote." Here is Cuomo's explanation:
[...]
In other words, there was no time to consider whether magazines holding more than seven rounds or guns with certain arbitarily selected cosmetic features pose an intolerable threat to public safety, because these items pose an intolerable threat to public safety. Also, it's for the children!
[...]
In addition to the bans on "assault weapons" and "large-capacity" magazines, there are other provisions that might have merited some additional thought. According to the Times, for example, the bill authorizes (and maybe requires) psychiatrists, psychologists, and social workers to strip patients/clients of their Second Amendment rights:
[...]
The new threshold for taking away someone's guns is evidently lower than the threshold for committing him to a mental hospital (which would bar him from owning guns under federal law). In the name of protecting the public from unstable people with guns, the legislature has enacted a provision that seems likely to discourage gun owners from seeking mental health services. Can it really be that the say-so of a single mental health professional is all it takes? Is there any judicial review or appeals process after the fact? I don't know, because I have not read the bill. Then again, neither have most of the legislators who voted for it.

Steve-in-NY
01-15-2013, 05:01 PM
http://www.classicfirearms.com/accessories/acar30tapco

AR-15 Gen II Magazine 30 Round .223 Rem/5.56 NATO Polymer Black, by Tapco

Availability: In Stock
Item #:ACCAR30-Tapco
$19.99

I don't have anything that would use these but someone on here might.

Its good for anyone, but NY for law abiding citizens, no good. Gotta get rid of +10 capacity magazines in a year.

Chris from Upstate NY
01-15-2013, 07:53 PM
Lawyer : Jim Tresmond, Attorney in Buffalo, New York. Attorney phone is 716.202.4301

Successfully represented clients in the past on Second Amendment issues in NYS Supreme Court. This case is pro-bono for all the gun owners of New York.

According to Mr. Tresmond the new ban is illegal as it is an ex-facto law taking away previously owned property and he intends to file this action in Federal Court.

We are looking for as many as possible to add to CLASS ACTION CASE:

SEND Your Name and EMAIL ADDRESS, Address and phone number to:

psacco1@twcny.rr.com

WE ARE COLLECTING AS MANY AS POSSIBLE AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE!!!

Not sure if this can be considered ex-facto since it gives us a year to comply, but it is the first legitimate action I have seen. According to some sources that talked directly with Mr. Tresmond, he said he has many arguments to challenge this new legislation with. He has been bombarded with phone calls and would like e-mails only. He has had more than enough supporters for some time to file a class action suit, but still encourages people to e-mail him. There is also a petition on the white house web site of course... but we all know how far they get us.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/rule-ny-safe-act-be-unconstitutional/W2KLT6t8

Kage127
01-15-2013, 08:37 PM
If you're in New York, whatever you do, do NOT register your guns.

Agreed.

Anti Federalist
01-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Then tens and hundreds of thousands need to walk through the street bearing their arms straight to the NY State Capitol building and shout "Hell no!"

LOL - That's funny...

Anti Federalist
01-15-2013, 08:57 PM
NY patriots...had enough?

NH will welcome you.

(Fat bull dykes from Roach Island notwithstanding)

Anti Federalist
01-15-2013, 09:01 PM
The new law also provides a mechanism to identify individual who
purchase unusually high volumes of ammunition, either in person or
over the Internet.

And there is the end of any online ammo sales to NY.

You people are really fucked now.

TheNewYorker
01-15-2013, 09:04 PM
Yeah fuck this state, I'm selling my house and moving out. Good job Cuomo you liberal fuck. No more of my tax dollars to you. I am a business owner too, hope you miss your 50k a year in tax rape.

Chris from Upstate NY
01-15-2013, 09:15 PM
I have to agree, I had a sit down with the wife tonight. With this new law passed, this is enough. Will be looking for a job and putting the house on the market next week. Sad to say there are not enough patriots left in this once great state. New York is an utter disgrace to it's original self, and i will not be raising my son within its state lines. A very sad fucking day for the true patriots left in New York.

Anti Federalist
01-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Chesters

-edit

Look, running is only going to work so far, so good...but for FFS, get the hell outta there.

And hold your hardware when you do it.

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/155884_o.gif

You, my brother, have won today's internets.

ClydeCoulter
01-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Lawyer : Jim Tresmond, Attorney in Buffalo, New York. Attorney phone is 716.202.4301

Successfully represented clients in the past on Second Amendment issues in NYS Supreme Court. This case is pro-bono for all the gun owners of New York.

According to Mr. Tresmond the new ban is illegal as it is an ex-facto law taking away previously owned property and he intends to file this action in Federal Court.

We are looking for as many as possible to add to CLASS ACTION CASE:

SEND Your Name and EMAIL ADDRESS, Address and phone number to:

psacco1@twcny.rr.com

WE ARE COLLECTING AS MANY AS POSSIBLE AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE!!!

Not sure if this can be considered ex-facto since it gives us a year to comply, but it is the first legitimate action I have seen. According to some sources that talked directly with Mr. Tresmond, he said he has many arguments to challenge this new legislation with. He has been bombarded with phone calls and would like e-mails only. He has had more than enough supporters for some time to file a class action suit, but still encourages people to e-mail him. There is also a petition on the white house web site of course... but we all know how far they get us.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/rule-ny-safe-act-be-unconstitutional/W2KLT6t8

How is this ex-facto (according to fact) and how is that used in a case such as this?
Ex-post-facto would be "after the fact".

edit: I always considered retroactive tax increases to be ex-post-facto because it raised taxes after the income was made.

Danke
01-19-2013, 06:17 PM
oops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nta9dxCNuWI

aGameOfThrones
01-19-2013, 06:30 PM
Yeah fuck this state, I'm selling my house and moving out. Good job Cuomo you liberal fuck. No more of my tax dollars to you. I am a business owner too, hope you miss your 50k a year in tax rape.

I guess you ain't getting...

http://crasstalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/drumroll.gif

LibertyInNY