PDA

View Full Version : Forbes: Personal Branding Around Communities and Political Beliefs

Keith and stuff
01-14-2013, 12:14 PM
1/14/2013 @ 11:52AM
Personal Branding Around Communities and Political Beliefs
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mariansalzman/2013/01/14/personal-branding-around-communities-and-political-beliefs/

There are 7 links in the article so I recommend on clicking on the link to the article just above this sentence. Then, read the article there. Otherwise, scroll down.

I recently got a humorous pitch from a real estate agent in New Hampshire, where, he wrote in his email, “there is a theme-branding wave that is part capricious, part serious business.” At first his proposal made me giggle, but then I saw how it reflects the ways in which personal branding is growing into community branding and vice versa.
The flag of the Free State Project, a modified...

The flag of the Free State Project, a modified Gadsden flag (Photo: Wikipedia)

People have long considered where they live to be a central part of their identities and personal brands. Being based in New York City sends a different message from being based in Connecticut, and both tell a vastly different story from having chucked it all to live on a ranch in Montana. States are part of our narratives.
Do People Make Places? Marian Salzman Marian Salzman Contributor
Defend Liberty, Draft Judge Napolitano For President In 2016 Lawrence Hunter Lawrence Hunter Contributor
Sandy: What's in a Name? Marian Salzman Marian Salzman Contributor
Getting to the Soul of Your Brand 85 Broads 85 Broads Contributor

The libertarian-leaning “Live Free or Die” state seems particularly suited to this phenomenon. Its population is small, its political persuasion clearly contrarian and its living conditions harsh. The realtor who pitched me, Mark Warden, had figured out how to take “Brand New Hampshire” to an extreme that, in turn, helped him build his own brand as a property broker and political candidate.

His Free State Project, he told me, has inspired more than 1,000 “liberty activists,” in his words, to move to New Hampshire. The project’s motto is “Liberty in Our Lifetime,” and its concept is to concentrate a large number of libertarian-leaning folks in a place where they can reduce the size and scope of government and improve individual freedom.

Here’s where it gets funny: The FSP mascot is the porcupine—“certainly cute and non-aggressive, but you don’t want to step on them!” says the group’s website—which points out how personal branding can require an occasional willingness to sacrifice some dignity in order to create a memorable identity. The project has spawned an array of branded events, including an annual festival that draws nearly 1,000 people from across the country, the Porcupine Freedom Festival (PorcFest for short). It’s held in a private campground, and Warden calls it “Burning Man meets FreedomFest.”

Warden built his real estate business model around this same branding and focuses his marketing on New Hampshire transplants who are drawn to the state for its ideology, telling “liberty-minded activists” that he speaks their language and understands their needs.

He’s not the first to have adopted the state’s politically oriented branding and the FSP’s particular strain of it for his own personal brand: Porc Manor is a website that caters to landlords and renters of libertarian persuasion, and Porc Therapy is a New Hampshire–produced live radio show and podcast that offers “pro-freedom relationship talk” and focuses on “happiness and freedom” and “explores an eclectic mix of topics, all of which fall under the umbrella of ways that we can all free our minds and attain more liberty in our lives.”

Using the mascot to such an extent might be borderline silly, but nonetheless it seems to be working for these porcupreneurs. (Sorry, couldn’t resist.) And it’s yet another clear illustration about how branding is everything and everything is branding these days.

cheapseats
01-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Personal Branding Around Communities

Note the PLURAL.

Branding, then, implies differences between Intentional Communities.

@Keith and Stuff: Have you a date by which you expect the 20,000 membership goal to be realized? Conversely, is there a date by which the expressed mission EVOLVES, in view of a practical presumption that 20,000 will NOT relocate?

Have a few or QUITE A FEW come and left again?

Keith and stuff
01-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Personal Branding Around Communities
@Keith and Stuff: Have you a date by which you expect the 20,000 membership goal to be realized? Conversely, is there a date by which the expressed mission EVOLVES, in view of a practical presumption that 20,000 will NOT relocate?

Have a few or QUITE A FEW come and left again?

I don't know when the FSP will reach 20,000 signers. There is a plan to try to reach the total by 2015 by some people involved with the FSP. I have nothing to do with that effort.

I don't think anyone expects all 20,000 signers to move move to NH. How many will move, I don't know. Perhaps 1/2 will move to NH within 5 years and another 25% will move to NH over the next 5 years. No doubt, a few of them have already died and sadly, more will die within the next few years. What happens though, is other people, people that refuse to sign stuff, also move to NH. We've already seen it. I expect more liberty folks to piggy back on our efforts over the years, especially after 20,000 signers are reached. Who knows, in 10 years 12,000 official signers and 12,000 unofficial signers may have moved to NH because of the FSP. Maybe a couple thousand will find that they don't like it and leave.

Jason Sorens, the guy that came up with the FSP, did additional research and decided that because of the way things are progressing in NH, we don't actually need 20,000 additional liberty activists. I think his revised estimate needed for NH was 5,000.

The FSP counter on the website goes down from time to time. If someone informs the FSP that a participant died, the number drops. Some folks have temperately left the state for good paying jobs. If those people update their account with their news address, the counter number falls. If they move back to NH and update their account again, the counter number increases. For example, a free stater moved to CA for a year or 2 for a promotion. He moved back to NH. If he changed the address on his account, the counter would have changed when he left NH and changed again when he moved back to NH.