PDA

View Full Version : Obama: I have executive powers over guns

green73
01-14-2013, 12:13 PM
"My understanding is the vice president's going to provide a range of steps that we can take to reduce gun violence," said Obama. "Some of them will require legislation, some of them I can accomplish through executive action. And so I will be reviewing those today, and as I said, I will speak in more detail to what we're going to go ahead and propose later in the week. But I'm confident that there are some steps that we can take that don't require legislation and that are within my authority as president, and where you get a step that, has the opportunity to reduce the possibility of gun violence, then i want to go ahead and take it."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fJc1D33lFs4

kathy88
01-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Translation: FUCK CONGRESS I'm the President and I'll do what I want.

CaptUSA
01-14-2013, 12:17 PM
To be fair, there are actions he could take, legally.

He could instruct the BATF to conduct gun safety seminars and begin education campaigns for the safe storage and care of lethal weapons.

Of course, we all know that's not what he's talking about, but I wouldn't mind seeing some of their funding to be redirected towards things like this.

TywinLannister
01-14-2013, 12:19 PM
I almost hope he tries, given the backlash that will ensue.

tod evans
01-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Any "action" taken by Washington always cost the tax payer money and freedom.

It's time to build a wall then flood the enclosure.

specsaregood
To be fair, there are actions he could take, legally.

You are right; he could disarm all those federal agents.

shane77m
Any "action" taken by Washington always cost the tax payer money and freedom.

It's time to build a wall then flood the enclosure.

Like a million man march?

Acala
01-14-2013, 12:22 PM
It will be one of two things:

1. an obviously illegal over-reach that he expects will be overturned by the SCOTUS; or
2. some kind of administrative record shuffle made to look like something but really nothing.

I predict number two because number one is too dangerous.

Obama doesn't want to deal with this. Congress doesn't want to deal with this. That is why they are kicking it back and forth and down the road. Obama is going to do something that sort of looks like something but really isn't and Congress isn't going to do anything at all.

Romulus
01-14-2013, 12:24 PM
I wish I was optimistic... there are people who want to disarm Americans... and many who will compromise on that as well. Obama will support those endeavors any way he can. He's on his last term.. what does he care?

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Obama doesn't want to deal with this. Congress doesn't want to deal with this. That is why they are kicking it back and forth and down the road. Obama is going to do something that sort of looks like something but really isn't and Congress isn't going to do anything at all.

I don't think they've had time yet. If they didn't have a plan in mind, they would have shut up by now.

Philhelm
01-14-2013, 12:33 PM
The bottom line is that I'm never optimistic when government has a chance to further infringe upon individual liberty.

Acala
01-14-2013, 12:42 PM
I wish I was optimistic... there are people who want to disarm Americans... and many who will compromise on that as well. Obama will support those endeavors any way he can. He's on his last term.. what does he care?

Not that he, and many others, would not love to disarm us. But Obama doesn't want to be a lame duck the last two years because angry gun owners turned half the Congress out into the street like they did LAST time a gun ban was enacted.

Acala
01-14-2013, 12:43 PM
I don't think they've had time yet. If they didn't have a plan in mind, they would have shut up by now.

They might have a plan, but I think it is a plan to make the issue go away because they don't have the votes to do anything about it.

Tpoints
01-14-2013, 12:44 PM
is there a whitehouse petition to give everybody a free gun instead of food stamps or cell phones?

Acala
01-14-2013, 12:46 PM
They have another problem as well. They must be very careful about doing anything with the mental health issue that might inhibit people with problems from seeking help. There is a BIG mental health industry that will come riding in on a very high horse if it looks like seeking their services will be punished with a denial of civil rights. I already know some health care professionals who are writing letters to representatives.

Acala
01-14-2013, 12:46 PM
is there a whitehouse petition to give everybody a free gun instead of food stamps or cell phones?

I want my Obamagun!!!!

acptulsa
01-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Not that he, and many others, would not love to disarm us. But Obama doesn't want to be a lame duck the last two years because angry gun owners turned half the Congress out into the street like they did LAST time a gun ban was enacted.

Congress? Do they still have any power? Or has it merely become a scapegoat?

otherone
01-14-2013, 12:53 PM
Translation: FUCK CONGRESS I'm the President and I'll do what I want. you are all my bitches!

FIFY

Acala
01-14-2013, 12:53 PM
Congress? Do they still have any power? Or has it merely become a scapegoat?

Certainly much LESS power than they used to have. But, yes, they have some.

Matt Collins
01-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Cato disagrees:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6swSM_nqCnk&feature=em-share_video_user

BnXmkpfrME
01-14-2013, 01:29 PM
please correct me if I am wrong, but EO from the pres just apply to federal workers right?

VoluntaryAmerican
01-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Title is a bit misleading... he said, "Gun violence"...

But yeah, he's going to try to ban assault weapons any way he possibly can, if he can do that through Executive order, he will.

Count on it.

CaptainAmerica
01-14-2013, 01:32 PM
He has the authority to GTFO of everyones life.

Pericles
01-14-2013, 02:23 PM
I want my Obamagun!!!!

I should have been given a M16 when i left active duty.

Romulus
01-14-2013, 02:45 PM
They have another problem as well. They must be very careful about doing anything with the mental health issue that might inhibit people with problems from seeking help. There is a BIG mental health industry that will come riding in on a very high horse if it looks like seeking their services will be punished with a denial of civil rights. I already know some health care professionals who are writing letters to representatives.

The end result, more SSRI's, less 2nd A freedom. The problems are just made worse by doing the opposite of what should be done.

Matt Collins
01-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Senator Rand Paul disagrees:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA3jwOFjHhw&feature=youtu.be

coastie
01-14-2013, 03:12 PM

Guess we'll have to wait and see just how for this disagreement goes when/if Obombya in fact issues an Executive Order on guns.

I predict there's a 99% chance that NOTHING will be done about it from the Congress, Senator Paul included. I hope I'm wrong. History says I should assume I'm not.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-14-2013, 03:55 PM

Thx. I FBed it.

Anti Federalist
01-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Fuck fucking you, every last one of you in the District of Calamity.

Enough talk.

I will not comply.

Come and get them, open fire or shut the fuck up.

jkr
01-14-2013, 04:22 PM
goto 2:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU_Npoz4AAk

satchelmcqueen
01-14-2013, 04:34 PM
stupid mfers!!! obama is trash!

cheapseats
01-14-2013, 04:58 PM
The bottom line is that I'm never optimistic when government has a chance to further infringe upon individual liberty.

Double trouble.

CONCEPTUALLY, Do Gooders like their "worthy projects" and "important regulations" and "playing field levelers" and you-name-it. But Micromanagement...Control Freakishness, by another name...is also a principal-tho-unprincipled JOB CREATOR...which is a VOTE GETTER.

Brett85
01-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Man, I wouldn't want to be the federal agent that goes into AF's home. :)

Spikender
01-14-2013, 05:13 PM
Obama can come and have executive powers over my nuts.

I like how he doesn't outright say that he's trying to get gun control through by executive order, but instead talks about curbing "gun violence". Whatever, Obama, how about you get off your royal ass and stop all the gun violence by federal agents both here and abroad with your precious executive orders.

Philosophy_of_Politics
01-14-2013, 05:13 PM
I say we unify over this. We need to make it known, that it will not be tolerated.

KingRobbStark
01-14-2013, 05:26 PM
Fuck this guy.

Quark
01-14-2013, 05:30 PM
I am starting to despise the phrase "common sense." Too many people use such a loaded phrase to produce the bandwagon effect.

Anti Federalist
01-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Man, I wouldn't want to be the federal agent that goes into AF's home. :)

The sad reality of the fact is that, with all the force the state can throw at somebody, a more than likely outcome of an overwhelming and oh-dark-thirty raid will just be my arrest, where I can rot away as a political prisoner until I die, like Ed and Elaine Brown, for example.

I am fully aware of this likely outcome, and stand by my remarks.

Koz
01-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Obama doesn't want to deal with this.

I'm not really buying this. I think Obama would like nothing more than to eliminate American's right to own firearms. He is just going to move the ball forward as much as possible. This and amnesty are top priorities this year.

Anti Federalist
01-14-2013, 06:28 PM
I'm not really buying this. I think Obama would like nothing more than to eliminate American's right to own firearms. He is just going to move the ball forward as much as possible. This and amnesty are top priorities this year.

I agree, but for different reasons.

Obama is puppet, no different than the one before him or the one before that.

He'll do exactly what he told to do.

And the orders have come down, now is the time to make their move.

cheapseats
01-14-2013, 06:28 PM
The sad reality of the fact is that, with all the force the state can throw at somebody, a more than likely outcome of an overwhelming and oh-dark-thirty raid will just be my arrest...

That sad reality is another argument FOR Intentional Communities. At least make it a fight that both sides feel.

There is a WSJ golden-oldie about, paraphrasing, MOST AMERICANS COMMIT 3 FELONIES A DAY.

By the time bully Enforcers of passive-aggressive "Officials" are at your door, they have "cause"...official papers 'n everything.

Bermuda Triangle time...who KNOWS what goes.

Koz
01-14-2013, 06:29 PM
I agree, but for different reasons.

Obama is puppet, no different than the one before him or the one before that.

He'll do exactly what he told to do.

And the orders have come down, now is the time to make their move.

Oh, I totally agree. This is the best shot at a gun grab in a long time.

Humanae Libertas
01-14-2013, 06:56 PM
If things go their way, we soon will be saying to our grandchildren: "Yeah I used to own a gun..." (Assuming we are still alive by then).