PDA

View Full Version : This will make your skin crawl!

tangent4ronpaul
01-14-2013, 11:55 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/10/opinion/avlon-obama-gun-control/index.html?iid=article_sidebar

the NRA had opposed seemingly common sense measures like barring individuals on the FBI terrorist watch list from buying and owning weapons.

umm, a secret list that you can get put on for any reason and it's almost impossible to get off of if you can find out your on it...

GREAT! :rolleyes:

Interestingly, conservative pollster Frank Luntz found that clear majorities of NRA members are more reasonable about implementing such common sense measures than their more rigidly ideological parent organization. For example, 71% of NRA members would bar people on the FBI terrorist watch list from buying and owning weapons, according to a poll Luntz conducted for the Bloomberg-backed group Mayors Against Illegal Guns. Likewise, 79% of NRA members support requiring background checks on gun retail employees, 74% would support background checks on all potential gun buyers and 64% support requiring gun owners to report lost or stolen firearms.

The NRA itself has changed since the conservative movement coalesced to take over the previously sportsman-focused organization. In the 1930s, the NRA supported the U.S. ban on machine guns, which still stands. Likewise, the NRA backed the 1968 Gun Control Law passed by President Johnson after the assassinations of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and Bobby Kennedy. "Today's NRA is not that of our grandfathers," said Gerney. "Unfortunately, the leadership of the NRA has turned the organization into an obstacle, rather than the partner of decades ago, in the effort to pass smart laws to keep guns away from dangerous people."

-t

kathy88
01-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Holy shit.

otherone
01-14-2013, 12:01 PM
This isn't surprising. I'd guess that the NRA is primarily neocons rather than Liberty Movement folk.

CaptUSA
01-14-2013, 12:05 PM
This isn't surprising. I'd guess that the NRA is primarily neocons rather than Liberty Movement folk.You could tell that when their initial reaction to the Sandy Hook shooting was that they should put public schools under armed guards.

"Hmmm... let's compromise... We'll allow you to restrict guns purchases in America and to check out everyone buying a gun, if you agree to arm up the schools, conduct psychological profiles of people in a database, and add more restrictions to video games and movies!" :rolleyes:

Statists compromising with Statists is a bad thing.

FSP-Rebel
01-14-2013, 12:06 PM
The NRA to guns reminds me of what AARP is to seniors, they support legislation that sticks it to the very constituents they deem to protect. NRA typically seems willing to give the left something on the gun rights issue where the AARP was pro-Obamacare which inevitably screws seniors in their most vulnerable years. Glad I rejoined GOA last week.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-14-2013, 12:10 PM
You could tell that when their initial reaction to the Sandy Hook shooting was that they should put public schools under armed guards.

I thought they said either "police" or "cops."

Danke
01-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Holy shit.

You're mellowing.

Brian4Liberty
01-14-2013, 12:53 PM
First things first. Even people on the right in the media are now pushing for background checks and "no gun" lists.

Eroding your liberties one step at a time, a time honored tradition.

CaptainAmerica
01-14-2013, 01:38 PM
and now you know why I cannot stand the NRA, they were always a controlled opposition group.