PDA

View Full Version : 5 senators to watch in gun control debate

tangent4ronpaul
01-14-2013, 09:00 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/01/10/5-senators-to-watch-in-gun-control-debate/?wprss=rss_politics

Vice President Joe Biden is promising to produce a package of proposals aimed at curbing gun violence by the end of the month, a move that will trigger a major legislative brouhaha on Capitol Hill in the coming weeks.

Biden, a veteran of congressional slugfests, made clear in remarks on Wednesday that he was both open to compromise and committed to action. “This is a problem that requires immediate attention,” he said. “I want to make clear that we’re not going to get caught up in the notion that, unless we can do everything, we’re going to do nothing.”

While all 535 Members of Congress will have something to say — they are politicians, after all — on whatever Biden and his task force propose, some members matter more than others.

Today, we tackle five senators — yes, it’s (almost) always five — who will play key roles in determining the fate of any gun legislation. We plan to take a look at the handful of House members who really matter just as soon as we can put a smart one together. (Got ideas? Send them to chris-dot-cillizza-at-wpost-dot-com.)

The senators listed below — in alphabetical order — are gathered from our own observations as well as the thoughts of connected operatives in both parties. Who did we miss? The comments section awaits.

* Michael Bennet: The Colorado senator is the head of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, the organization charged with reelecting the 21 incumbents up for re-election in November 2014. Many of the senators facing the toughest races — Tim Johnson in South Dakota, Jay Rockefeller in West Virginia (He has stated he won't seek reelection in 2014), Mary Landrieu in Louisiana, Kay Hagan in North Carolina — represent states where gun ownership is the rule not the exception. Bennet will need to run interference for this group, making sure that the White House doesn’t leave them out on a political limb that their Republican opponent can easily saw off.

* Susan Collins: The retirement of Maine Sen. Olympia Snowe (R) and defeat of Massachusetts Sen. Scott Brown (R) makes Collins the most high-profile Republican moderate in the world’s greatest deliberative body. In the aftermath of Newtown, Collins released a statement insisting that “while denying the constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens won’t change the behavior of those intent on using firearms for criminal purposes, I wholeheartedly agree that we must examine what can be done to help prevent gun violence.” What that means in terms of specific sorts of legislative measures she would support is anyone’s guess.

* Dianne Feinstein: The California Democrat has long been an active voice for more gun control, stemming from her own personal experience with gun violence. (In the late 1970s, Feinstein became mayor of San Francisco after Mayor George Moscone and Supervisor Harvey Milk were murdered by a former colleague.) Feinstein has pledged to introduce a version of the assault weapons ban in the 113th Congress. That ban expired in 2004. Feinstein is likely to be in the middle of any attempted legislative solution and will be a major figure pushing hard for the Obama Administration to do more rather than less on restricting guns.

* Joe Manchin: In his 2010 Senate race, the West Virginia Democrat ran an ad that showed him shooting — literally, shooting — President Obama’s cap and trade bill. In the wake of the Newtown, Manchin said he was open to further dialogue on guns in society but offered few specifics about what he might be for or against. If Biden and the White House can convince someone like Manchin to sign on to their proposal, it would be a major symbolic win. If not, the opposite holds true.

* Mitch McConnell: In the aftermath of the fiscal cliff negotiations, we coined the Kentucky Republican the “Red” of the Senate — a man who knows how to get things. (Shawshank rules!) Given the proof we have that McConnell and Biden know how to cut deals, it seems virtually certain that any major — or even minor — deal on guns will feature McConnell as a prime player. Never forget that McConnell has his own politics to keep an eye on in a state that is decidedly friendly to gun rights. McConnell’s numbers in the state are not great, but a GOP primary challenge seems unlikely and no major Democrats are making noise about the contest — yet.

-t

BnXmkpfrME
01-14-2013, 09:03 AM
I disrespect to you at all.
I will watch the Senators.....but if they ignore us then they can watch us ignore them.....

tod evans
01-14-2013, 09:07 AM
I disrespect to you at all.
I will watch the Senators.....but if they ignore us then they can watch us ignore them.....

I'm not so nice..

Voicing my abject contempt for every senator on that list.

tony m
01-14-2013, 09:14 AM
Schumer.

luke19
01-14-2013, 10:06 AM
If McConnell caves on gun control, wouldn't that open the floodgates for a primary challenge next year?

dinosaur
01-14-2013, 10:19 AM
If McConnell caves on gun control, wouldn't that open the floodgates for a primary challenge next year?

Yes