PDA

View Full Version : Not enough votes yet, in NY Senate to stop arms bill

tony m
01-13-2013, 09:54 PM
The Assembly is overwhelmingly democrat so the battle is in the Senate.

Word is that there are only 24 solid votes against the bill. 32 will be needed. If the bill doesn't pass Cuomo will ram it included in the budget. It could then not be stopped only filibustered to shut down the NY government.

magazine capped at 7 rounds.
no grandfather.
assault weapons ban.
renewable permits.

Continue to call NY Senators.

Brett85
01-13-2013, 10:21 PM
The moral of this story is don't move to New York.

aGameOfThrones
01-13-2013, 10:26 PM

Or pass through it.

Cowlesy
01-13-2013, 10:38 PM
The Assembly is overwhelmingly democrat so the battle is in the Senate.

Word is that there are only 24 solid votes against the bill. 32 will be needed. If the bill doesn't pass Cuomo will ram it included in the budget. It could then not be stopped only filibustered to shut down the NY government.

magazine capped at 7 rounds.
no grandfather.
assault weapons ban.
renewable permits.

Continue to call NY Senators.

It's even worse than that. Ammunition purchases will require background checks. You'll have to register any assault rifles you have, and forfeit any magazines over 10 rounds. They'll ban the sale of said rifles, or any pre-1994 ban rifles/mags. Long-gun permit/pistol permits will now need to be renewed. If deemed mentally unfit, your arms can be confiscated.

Philhelm
01-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Or pass through it.

Or be in a Union with it...

tony m
01-13-2013, 10:45 PM
It's even worse than that. Ammunition purchases will require background checks. You'll have to register any assault rifles you have, and forfeit any magazines over 10 rounds. They'll ban the sale of said rifles, or any pre-1994 ban rifles/mags. Long-gun permit/pistol permits will now need to be renewed. If deemed mentally unfit, your arms can be confiscated.

What I have here is what we have been informed of what is actually being discussed. This is coming from Senator Nozzolio and Assemblyman Kolb.

Brett85
01-13-2013, 10:50 PM

If this bill passes someone should file a lawsuit against it immediately and we'll see whether the Supreme Court feels that this law violates the 2nd amendment.

Tod
01-13-2013, 10:51 PM
Or pass through it.

How will people from the west of NY be able to join the Free State with their guns?

tony m
01-13-2013, 10:53 PM
If this bill passes someone should file a lawsuit against it immediately and we'll see whether the Supreme Court feels that this law violates the 2nd amendment.

If it passes, then there will need to be the first real "tavern" talk on what to do. I am sure a lawsuit will be moving quickly. This would be massive.

TomtheTinker
01-13-2013, 10:54 PM
Wtfffffff

Cowlesy
01-13-2013, 11:06 PM
What I have here is what we have been informed of what is actually being discussed. This is coming from Senator Nozzolio and Assemblyman Kolb.

Thanks -- this is where I got my info; hoping yours is more accurate.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/cuomo-calls-stricter-gun-control-laws-article-1.1236608

Anti Federalist
01-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Upstate NY Fudds will meekly and totally comply.

Cop worship is like a state religion in NY/NJ/PA/CT.

Keith and stuff
01-13-2013, 11:23 PM
How will people from the west of NY be able to join the Free State with their guns?

Drive through. There is nothing NY can do. Just keep the guns locked and unloaded while driving. Make sure the ammo is in a separate container and legitimately be moving through NY. If you drive around Manhattan then you aren't moving, you are being a tourist. Plus, there are random vehicle searches for people entering Manhattan, so don't go there when you are moving. Just get on I-90, I-87 or another major road and drive through the state. You shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure not to have any pot in the car because pot + gun = felony :(

Do the same thing as you drive through IL, NJ and MA.

gwax23
01-13-2013, 11:52 PM

What if you live there? :eek: Like me

Keith and stuff
01-14-2013, 12:25 AM

Sell anything you think might get banned. Sell it ASAP. I recommend moving to New Hampshire. If you don't want to, consider following the suggestions below.

Without the ability to carry guns, maybe look into high powered flashlights. Also consider getting a very loud whistle. Consider modifying your horn so that it is louder. Make sure your have a car alarm and a portal car starter, especially useful in the winter. Consider buying a special door stop for the front door of your house. Consider getting a large dog and installing a home security system and camera outside your front door, if possible.

Here are some sample flashlights you might want to look into.
high light to confuse people http://www.shopbarska.com/Flashlights-1200_Lumen_High_Power_Tactical_Flashlight.html
high quality flashlight that may be used to strike an attacker http://www.surefire.com/illumination/flashlights/e2dl.html

Anti Federalist
01-14-2013, 12:38 AM
Drive through. There is nothing NY can do. Just keep the guns locked and unloaded while driving. Make sure the ammo is in a separate container and legitimately be moving through NY. If you drive around Manhattan then you aren't moving, you are being a tourist. Plus, there are random vehicle searches for people entering Manhattan, so don't go there when you are moving. Just get on I-90, I-87 or another major road and drive through the state. You shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure not to have any pot in the car because pot + gun = felony :(

Do the same thing as you drive through IL, NJ and MA.

Even that's not always a sure thing.

I have seen plenty of people that got busted regardless of the fact that were compliant with McClure/Volkmer.

Like Keith said, keep ammo and weapons locked, separated, preferably disassembled and NEVER CONSENT TO A SEARCH.

Anti Federalist
01-14-2013, 12:41 AM

Here is the decision tree (this will apply to all of us before long):

A - Comply. (Sell, destroy, turn over to the cops)

B - Refuse to comply.

B1 - Comply when confronted and go to jail.

B2 - Do not comply when confronted...

Anti Federalist
01-14-2013, 12:43 AM
I recommend moving to New Hampshire.

I will not be surprised at all to see anti-gun bills pushed forward by this new mob of statists in Concord.

Keith and stuff
01-14-2013, 12:53 AM
I will not be surprised at all to see anti-gun bills pushed forward by this new mob of statists in Concord.

I was told there were 9 gun related LSRs in NH (6 good, 3 bad). My guess is 1-2 of the bad gun bills might pass. Most likely, at most, just some of the gun freedom gained over the last 2 years in NH will be removed (not all of them, even). Whatever happens in NH, I think it will be reversed in 4-8 years so it isn't a major issue.

I'm not really expecting much on a state level in most states. Perhaps really bad stuff (like the stuff mentioned in this thread) will pass in NY/CA/CT and a handful of other states. Unfortunately, if new bad bills pass in states like NY/CA/CT, they aren't likely to be reversed in the future :( The bigger issue for people in the majority of states is a possible executive order from Obama.

Anti Federalist
01-14-2013, 12:58 AM
The bigger issue for people in the majority of states is a possible executive order from Obama.

I agree, which is why I posted that decision tree.

Will you comply?

I will not, and fully accept and am aware of all that decision entails.

Philhelm
01-14-2013, 12:11 PM
Here is the decision tree (this will apply to all of us before long):

A - Comply. (Sell, destroy, turn over to the cops)

B - Refuse to comply.

B1 - Comply when confronted and go to jail.

B2 - Do not comply when confronted...

C - Preemptive strike.