PDA

View Full Version : new hampshire people

cbrons
01-13-2013, 08:00 PM
What's the best place to live there - Is portsmouth a good place? Do any of you listen to 96.7FM?

pochy1776
01-13-2013, 08:15 PM
I would suggest Manchester, Nashua, Lake Squam or Concord. Maybe after you graduate you can apply for residency in Dartmouth. I heard they got a good Rural Med Program. All in all, if you want a good residency in New England the best is Yale. What do you plan to match into?

Anti Federalist
01-13-2013, 08:31 PM
It's all good.

What kind of living conditions are you looking for?

cbrons
01-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Who knows if I will even do a residency. If I do, it will be IM or FM. Maybe EM, but I seriously doubt it. And definitely not at any of the Yale affiliated hospitals b/c I'd rather not live in a 3rd world city.

pochy1776
01-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Most research programs require a residency. I strongly suggest you do it, as it could give you great doors to open in the medical world. I recommend IM, unless you like specialties. You can;t be an MD without being resident'd. Dartmouth is a great place. Do residency there. Or you could work at Yale and take drives up to NH.

cbrons
01-13-2013, 08:39 PM
It's all good.

What kind of living conditions are you looking for?

not a 3rd world city or around anyone who voted for Obama

cbrons
01-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Most research programs require a residency. I strongly suggest you do it, as it could give you great doors to open in the medical world. I recommend IM, unless you like specialties. You can;t be an MD without being resident'd. Dartmouth is a great place. Do residency there. Or you could work at Yale and take drives up to NH.

You are awarded an M.D. when you graduate from medical school, not residency. Residency is for people who want to actually practice medicine.

Keith and stuff
01-13-2013, 08:48 PM
There have been many threads on the FSP Forum and city-data comparing various cities and towns. The answer though, is it depends. What is it you are looking for? I've never lived in Portsmouth or listened to that radio station that I know of. Portsmouth is the most cosmopolitan city in NH. It the the favorite NH city to visit for people from Boston. The culture, music and arts scenes in Portsmouth are comparable to Manchester, even though it's only 1/5 the size.

pochy1776
01-13-2013, 08:51 PM
You are awarded an M.D. when you graduate from medical school, not residency. Residency is for people who want to actually practice medicine.

you don't plan on Practicing? Well, you can always do other cool stuff. I just say do the residency, as it will increase your credentials to do cool stuff. Maybe even get you elected into the New Hampshire Medical board and libertarianize it.

Anti Federalist
01-13-2013, 08:52 PM

LOL - Ok then, stay away from Manchester/Nashua/Concord or the Seacoast.

Try Carroll or Belknap counties.

SilentBull
01-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Obama got crushed in Windham. All the democrats lost there, actually.

Keith and stuff
01-13-2013, 09:12 PM
LOL - Ok then, stay away from Manchester/Nashua/Concord or the Seacoast.

Try Carroll or Belknap counties.
Almost all of the towns bordering Manchester (or perhaps all of them) voted for Romney. Same is true for most of the towns around Nashua. I think Seabrook and 1-2 of the Hamptons on the Seacoast went for Romney. I don't really see much difference b/t Romney and Obama, though.

Dartmouth was mentioned earlier. The whole Dartmouth area went solidly for Obama. Dartmouth is sometimes called the conservative Ivy League. Well, it does have 2 conservative papers but the school still isn't conservative.

pochy1776
01-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Almost all of the towns bordering Manchester (or perhaps all of them) voted for Romney. Same is true for most of the towns around Nashua. I think Seabrook and 1-2 of the Hamptons on the Seacoast went for Romney. I don't really see much difference b/t Romney and Obama, though.

Dartmouth was mentioned earlier. The whole Dartmouth area went solidly for Obama. Dartmouth is sometimes called the conservative Ivy League. Well, it does have 2 conservative papers but the school still isn't conservative.

I heard it had a great hospital. The best in the area being Yale New Haven. I have the benefit of having a good psychiatrist and hospital in NYC. I don;t know if i could move.

muzzled dogg
01-13-2013, 09:25 PM
I would recommend Manchester for just about anyone posting on rpf

Keith and stuff
01-13-2013, 09:38 PM
I heard it had a great hospital. The best in the area being Yale New Haven. I have the benefit of having a good psychiatrist and hospital in NYC. I don;t know if i could move.

Yes. The best hospital in Northern New England is the Dartmouth hospital in Lebanon, NH. Dartmouth is also the best college in Northern New England. It is also the least expensive college for poor to lower middle class students - it's free. There are some great hospitals in Boston and the near-by towns, also.

pochy1776
01-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Yes. The best hospital in Northern New England is the Dartmouth hospital in Lebanon, NH. Dartmouth is also the best college in Northern New England. It is also the least expensive college for poor to lower middle class students - it's free. There are some great hospitals in Boston and the near-by towns, also.

Dartmouth, In my mind, is one of the last of the Old, Aristocratic, conservative republican, Ivy League. The one where rich people are still respectable, people still wear ivy league college boy clothing (dirty bucks, Dress shirt, sack coat or college sweater, Khakis.) In actuality its probably just as bad as every other Ivy League University. Princeton still has that vibe, its probably the best liberal arts school in the country.

TCE
01-13-2013, 10:29 PM

I would love if you could expand on this. I have heard the smaller towns were better options, so this is counter-intuitive to that.

Anti Federalist
01-13-2013, 10:47 PM
Carroll, Belknap and Rockingham counties were the only three that went GOP, for what that was worth.

The Gary Johnson vote was a little lower, but not much, a couple of tenths of a point mostly.

http://www.politico.com/2012-election/results/president/new-hampshire/

Keith and stuff
01-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Carroll, Belknap and Rockingham counties were the only three that went GOP, for what that was worth.

The Gary Johnson vote was a little lower, but not much, a couple of tenths of a point mostly.

http://www.politico.com/2012-election/results/president/new-hampshire/
Yeah but Coos County is the only county that went for Paul in the primary. Though, Paul also did really well in Grafton, Sullivan and Cheshire County, lol. I agree that Carroll and Belknap are the most Republican counties in NH. Rockingham and Hillsborough (the 2 heavily populated counties) lean Republican, especially outside of the cities of Portsmouth, Nashua and Manchester. Portsmouth is solid Democratic, though Nashua and Manchester swing Republican under certain circumstance. They also frequently elect Republicans in non-partisan local elections.

Manchester is the best landing place for the majority of people, IMO. That's because it is the largest city and rent is cheaper than Nashua (the 2nd largest city). Additionally, while Manchester isn't really central to NH, it is central to the population of NH and several of the major roads go around it. It is a good place to live for a year while you look for a better job and/or better place to live somewhere else. There are 100s of free staters in the area too, so there are lots of people to socialize with and learn the ropes from, if that's your thing.

However, if someone is determined to send their children to government school, I don't recommend Manchester. The schools are near the worst in the state. The only reason the schools aren't the worst in the state right now, is because some of the suburbs send their children to Manchester schools. However, 1 suburb already negotiated to start spending the children to a private school in Derry. If all of the other suburbs jump ship, Manchester will have the worst government schools in NH. At that point, it would make sense to stop sending your kids to the Manchester government schools or move to another part of NH. There is an online charter school they can go to for no extra charge if you don't think you are smart enough to home school.

Other decent landing places in NH are Nashua, Concord, Rochester, Dover, Keene, Lebanon, Portsmouth, Derry, Salem and even the Seabrook or Laconia areas. Some are more expensive than others. IMO, the key is to be willing to drive around the state a little for the first few months, have a little bit of money saved up and rent at first. If you are single, consider renting just a room in a house or apartment. Rooms for rent can be found as little as under $300 a month, though they aren't very common at that low rate.

The FSP has a moving guide with housing and jobs sections. There are even Facebook groups. http://freestateproject.org/nhinfocenter
Craig's list and roommates.com are your friend. The FSP Job Alert on Facebook is also your friend.

I would love if you could expand on this. I have heard the smaller towns were better options, so this is counter-intuitive to that.
You have a lot more power in the small towns. In most of them, the people are the government. Though, a lot of the towns in southeastern NH are suburbs of Manchester, Nashua or Boston. The people living in them tend to be middle class or above white Christians. They tend to like nice roads, nice schools and pretty parks. So, property taxes tend to be higher.

Some people live different lifestyles, especially near Grafton, NH in Grafton County and in large parts of Carrol, Belknap and Coos County. There are a lot more traditional, frugal Yankee types in those areas. Plus, especially in the Lakes Region there are a lot more 2nd homes. The 2nd homes tend to be owner by upper middle class or above people that live in the Northeast or FL. The homes tend to be nice and cover a lot of the property taxes in town. So if you live in that area, in a very modest home and away from a lake, your property taxes might be surprising low by New England standards. If you want to eventually settle in the Lakes Region or near Grafton, Concord might be a better landing place but then, even Manchester isn't a much longer drive to those areas.

Anti Federalist
01-14-2013, 12:49 AM
Yeah but Coos County is the only county that went for Paul in the primary.

A pox forever on the campaign hack who failed to run with the Northern Pass opposition.

I will remain convinced that my ads not only helped make that possible but also convinced the Salmon River Press chain of papers to endorse Ron Paul.

Anti Federalist
01-14-2013, 12:52 AM
Oh yes, to cbrons and the OP question, I have listened to 96.7 FM.

Talk/sports radio out of Dover NH IIRC.

Pretty standard Limbaugh/Shamity/Levin fare, no?

Why?

Maybe I'll lobby them to carry Alex Jones...

pochy1776
01-14-2013, 01:16 AM
Oh yes, to cbrons and the OP question, I have listened to 96.7 FM.

Talk/sports radio out of Dover NH IIRC.

Pretty standard Limbaugh/Shamity/Levin fare, no?

Why?

Maybe I'll lobby them to carry Alex Jones...

I don't think Alex Jones is appealing to Layman, Why not Jerry Doyle or Free Talk Live.

John F Kennedy III
01-14-2013, 02:28 AM

Why Manchester?

Tinnuhana
01-14-2013, 03:28 AM
Sure leaves nashua out, but talk with Dave Murotake. He's been successful on breaking into the school board and is now a representative, too.
There are a lot of abandoned ranch homes behind the FAA off exit 4 in Nashua. One woman got a house with full dormer, basement, etc. for $120,000.