PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Jindal calls for elimination of LA corporate and income tax

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-11-2013, 02:52 PM
I am certainly no fan of Jindal but we should applaud people when they move in the right direction.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/01/gov_bobby_jindal_calls_for_eli.html

compromise
01-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Good news for Louisianans, but not so good for Rand 2016. This is something he can brag about in the primaries, should he run.

EBounding
01-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Revenue Neutral http://www.ronpaulforums.com/images/icons/icon13.png

Keith and stuff
01-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Not going to happen. I don't think people are going to vote to put the sales tax rate at 12% in LA. Plus, that wouldn't be enough. It would be so high, people would buy less new stuff at stores in LA and it would need to go to 13%. I think the highest in the county is part of CA at 10% or slightly more. This would be much higher (percentage increase wise) and really hurt and destroy Jindal in a general election.

If he wants to really help the people, he should cut the income tax rate by cutting state government spending.

THIS IS JUST A DISTRACTION.

lx43
01-11-2013, 03:19 PM
I am certainly no fan of Jindal but we should applaud people when they move in the right direction.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/01/gov_bobby_jindal_calls_for_eli.html

Bad idea for the citizens of LA trust me!!! My county proposed eliminating all property taxes about a decade ago in exchange for increasing the sales tax. What we have now is record high property taxes and a sales tax that has doubled.

erowe1
01-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Revenue Neutral http://www.ronpaulforums.com/images/icons/icon13.png

Yep. It says right at the top that these cuts are to be paid for with sales tax increases.

It's just an attempt to get the duck to squawk less while they still take off just as many feathers.

Aratus
01-11-2013, 03:44 PM
governor jindal acts decisively as 2016 metaphorically looms...?

erowe1
01-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Not going to happen. I don't think people are going to vote to put the sales tax rate at 12% in LA. Plus, that wouldn't be enough. It would be so high, people would buy less new stuff at stores in LA and it would need to go to 13%. I think the highest in the county is part of CA at 10% or slightly more. This would be much higher (percentage increase wise) and really hurt and destroy Jindal in a general election.

If he wants to really help the people, he should cut the income tax rate by cutting state government spending.

THIS IS JUST A DISTRACTION.

Or it could just be Jindal's opening offer for negotiations that he hopes to see end up with slightly higher sales taxes, slightly lower corporate taxes, no change in personal income taxes, and more revenue overall.

KingNothing
01-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Yep. It says right at the top that these cuts are to be paid for with sales tax increases.

It's just an attempt to get the duck to squawk less while they still take off just as many feathers.

It's still a net positive. Income tax is the worst of all taxes. Doing away with it is a very good thing.

erowe1
01-11-2013, 03:52 PM
It's still a net positive. Income tax is the worst of all taxes. Doing away with it is a very good thing.

Maybe. I don't know. I can't get excited about anything revenue-neutral.

KingNothing
01-11-2013, 04:00 PM

Agreed, but if I were citizen of the state, my take-away would be that the tax burden would shift more towards tourists and away from me. And eliminating the corporate income tax will certainly make it easier for companies to do business in the state.

Keith and stuff
01-11-2013, 05:24 PM

I agree. It isn't worth the activism time or political capital in most cases. Plus, the sales tax would be insanely high. Additionally, LA already borders a state with a long history of no income tax. Companies in the area are still likely to pick Texas over LA.

Wikipedia claims sales tax is already 10% in part of LA. So this would mean 14%. That is substantially higher than anywhere else in the US. Insanity!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States#Louisiana

specsaregood
01-11-2013, 05:47 PM
I remember a certain presidential candidate in 2007 that suggested that the best response to Katrina would not be federal money, but perhaps making New Orleans a tax freezone for a decade or so...

gwax23
01-11-2013, 05:53 PM
I remember a certain presidential candidate in 2007 that suggested that the best response to Katrina would not be federal money, but perhaps making New Orleans a tax freezone for a decade or so...

Ron paul?

torchbearer
01-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Good news for Louisianans, but not so good for Rand 2016. This is something he can brag about in the primaries, should he run.

that's the point.
We have a good shot at taking Louisiana, unless Jindal starts to gain traction.
Then it will be tough.

torchbearer
01-11-2013, 06:03 PM
I agree. It isn't worth the activism time or political capital in most cases. Plus, the sales tax would be insanely high. Additionally, LA already borders a state with a long history of no income tax. Companies in the area are still likely to pick Texas over LA.

Wikipedia claims sales tax is already 10% in part of LA. So this would mean 14%. That is substantially higher than anywhere else in the US. Insanity!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States#Louisiana

but we get a sales tax holiday once a year. :rolleyes:
our tax system is a mess.

matt0611
01-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Sales tax is preferable to an income tax IMO. I think if a state is going to have a general tax then a sales tax is the least bad for several reasons.

1. Its simpler

2. No withholding

3. It doesn't discourage savings like income taxes

4. You can avoid paying for some of it if you buy online or out-of-state

Bruehound
01-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Cross border shopping would explode. This is stupid.

torchbearer
01-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Cross border shopping would explode. This is stupid.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
if someone was taking online orders for produce and meat near rthe border, they could make a fortune.

lets go with the high sales tax.

Rudeman
01-11-2013, 06:54 PM
He's also proposing gun legislation:

Jindal’s proposed legislation would:

-- Authorize the state to confidentially share an individual’s eligibility to purchase a firearm based on his or her mental health records, such as those involuntarily committed to mental health facilities, and mandate that the State Supreme Court report eligibility to the NICS, in full compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). The State Supreme Court will collect and transfer eligibility status to the NICS the same way criminal data is currently reported.

-- Define situations where mental health eligibility must be reported and when a person would be disqualified from purchasing a firearm. This determination will be made by a court. Criteria will include whether or not a person is deemed to be a danger to himself, herself or others as a result of mental illness; whether or not a person is deemed incapable of managing his or her own affairs; whether or not a person has been found not guilty by reason of insanity or other mental disease or defect in a criminal case; whether or not a person has been found guilty but insane in a criminal case; whether or not a person has been found incompetent to stand trial; and whether or a not person has been formally and involuntarily committed to a mental institution or asylum.

-- Define situations when the state may request to have an individual deemed competent by health care professionals removed from the NICS database.

The “relief from disabilities” provision will protect the rights of healthy, law-abiding citizens and allow Louisiana to utilize federal funding for NICS.

Similar laws exist in Alabama, Connecticut, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Nevada, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Texas, Virginia and Wisconsin.

Jindal said passage of such legislation would enhance gun safety and mental health reporting standards in Louisiana.

Read the rest: http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20130111/NEWS01/130111026/Gov-Bobby-Jindal-propose-gun-safety-legislation?nclick_check=1

gwax23
01-11-2013, 07:12 PM
If he would cut spending as well as removing both corporate and personal taxes that would be great. Thus the sales tax can remain where it is now and Louisiana might become the least tax state in the union (Correct or wrong? I would need to check)

torchbearer
01-11-2013, 07:12 PM
He's also proposing gun legislation:

Read the rest: http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20130111/NEWS01/130111026/Gov-Bobby-Jindal-propose-gun-safety-legislation?nclick_check=1

i'm going to pass this around.

presence
01-13-2013, 07:38 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/10/bobby-jindal-income-tax_n_2452331.html

http://s.huffpost.com/images/v/reuters_logo.jpg (http://www.reuters.com/)

By Kathy Finn

NEW ORLEANS, Jan 10 (Reuters) - Republican Governor Bobby Jindal said on Thursday he wants to eliminate all Louisiana personal and corporate income taxes to simplify the state's tax code and make it more friendly to business.

The governor did not release details of his proposal, but his office released a statement confirming that the taxes are targets of a broader tax reform plan.

"Our goal is to eliminate all personal income tax and all corporate income tax in a revenue neutral manner," Jindal said in the statement.

He did not confirm reports that he will seek an increase in sales taxes in order to offset lost income tax revenue, but said: "We want to keep the sales tax as low and flat as possible."

Political analyst John Maginnis, who on Thursday reported in his email newsletter LaPolitics Weekly that Jindal will propose balancing the tax loss by raising the sales tax, now at 4 percent, said the strategy fits with the governor's interest in keeping a high national profile.

"Just proposing a plan on the scale being discussed would win Jindal acclaim among fiscal conservatives here and nationwide," Maginnis told Reuters.

Jindal is often mentioned for national office including the U.S. Senate and as a possible presidential candidate.

Louisiana's neighbor Texas has had no income tax for years, relying on a windfall from its rich energy resources and other forms of taxation. Other states in the region governed by Republicans are trying to copy Texas, including Oklahoma and Kansas, which have both considered lowering taxes.

But political analyst Maginnis questioned whether the Republican-majority Louisiana legislature would endorse Jindal's ambitious plan.

"Any tax increase (such as sales tax) or elimination of exemptions would require a two-thirds vote, a form of legislative approval that would require (Republican) solidarity and significant Democratic support," Maginnis said.

Jindal said his team will meet with lawmakers soon to discuss details of his tax reform plan.

ILUVRP
01-13-2013, 08:11 AM
a bounch of bs , all states need a certain amount of money to operate , they will get their money somewhere else.

take states that have no income tax like fla/tx , check their property taxes , a 200k home tax is over $3,500 , fla knows the people that retire in fla don't work and do buy homes , so fla taxes their homes .

here in az i have a $150,000 home and my taxes a about $1,000 a year.

i would like to see others post their home real values and their yearly tax on their home , like i said all goverments will get the money somewhere.

i do agree the northeast states taxes are crazy large.

Bruehound
01-13-2013, 08:27 AM
Considering he signed into law a bill that prohibits cash transactions for resale items(pawn shop lobby exempted themselves of course) and now a greatly increased sales tax proposed....not good.

kathy88
01-13-2013, 09:03 AM
PA. Home assessed value 100k on 3 acres. Taxes 3700. Actual value probably closer to 200k.

SpreadOfLiberty
01-13-2013, 12:08 PM
+1 Jindal!

oyarde
01-13-2013, 12:16 PM
Where I am , primary residence capped at one percent, it are the other things that are high, farm land , rentals etc

Confederate
01-13-2013, 12:35 PM
This was a good fox panel segment talking about income vs sales taxes in light of Gov. Jindal's proposal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtAnryZSMxM

sailingaway
01-13-2013, 12:37 PM
It's a bad climate for reforming tax. I'd bet any 'reform' they come up under the hands of any of that sort ends up increasing the overall burden

FrancisMarion
01-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Lets take away the federal income tax, I'd rather pay income tax (if I have to) to the State I live in. In general, I'd like to keep taxes as close to home as possible.

Bruehound
01-13-2013, 12:57 PM
I would love to be a retailer anywhere along the Louisiana border.

gwax23
01-13-2013, 01:10 PM
If states radically cut spending, privatized, deregulated, and sold off state assets they could get away with large scale tax reductions/reform such as what jindal is proposing without increasing taxes elsewhere (Sales) This would be ideal but just a dream.

hazek
01-13-2013, 01:24 PM
Meaningless. Taxes abolished will be collected with other taxes and besides you're still robbed by having to pay federal taxes...

Confederate
01-13-2013, 01:25 PM
I would love to be a retailer anywhere along the Louisiana border.

Arkansas has a state sales tax of 6% and local sales taxes range from 0%-5.5%
Mississippi has a state sales tax of 7% and local sales tax of 0.25%
Texas has a 6.25% state sales tax and local sales taxes range from 0%-2%

Keith and stuff
01-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Mr. Jindal is acting crazy. A revenue neutral idea? He really wants to increase the sales tax from 10% to 13% in LA? That would hit the poor really, really hard. Jindal would be hated nationally by all liberal spinsters.

Plus, TX already doesn't have a general state personal income tax or a general state corporate income tax. So, why would a business move from TX with lower taxes and less regulation to LA?

I do like how 2 of the commentators in the video mentioned how great the New Hampshire model is.

Confederate
01-13-2013, 01:32 PM
Mr. Jindal is acting crazy. A revenue neutral idea? He really wants to increase the sales tax from 10% to 14% in LA? That would hit the poor really, really hard. Jindal would be hated nationally by all liberal spinsters.

Plus, TX already doesn't have a general state personal income tax or a general state corporate income tax. So, why would a business move from TX with lower taxes and less regulation to LA?

I do like how 2 of the commentators in the video mentioned how great the New Hampshire model is.

Where did you come up with those numbers? LA's state sales tax is 4% and the Jindal has proposed it going up to around 6.5% which would be about the same as Texas'

Keith and stuff
01-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Where did you come up with those numbers? LA's state sales tax is 4% and the Jindal has proposed it going up to around 6.5% which would be about the same as Texas'

Sorry, I meant 13%, not 14%. I corrected it.

The sales tax in LA is up to 10%, depending on where you live. The state portion of the sales taxes is 4% and Jindal is proposing increasing that to 7%. That means to 10% sales tax will go up to 13%.

In Texas, the general sales tax goes up to 8.25%. 8.25% is much less than 13%. Some sales taxes are higher in TX but not in every community. The hotel tax goes up to 17% in TX but that is rare. I know Houston charges that much. Austin charges a lot but I think it is only 15%.

LibForestPaul
01-13-2013, 03:55 PM
a bounch of bs , all states need a certain amount of money to operate , they will get their money somewhere else.

take states that have no income tax like fla/tx , check their property taxes , a 200k home tax is over $3,500 , fla knows the people that retire in fla don't work and do buy homes , so fla taxes their homes .

i would like to see others post their home real values and their yearly tax on their home , like i said all goverments will get the money somewhere.

True, but state income tax is absurd. Property tax s/b eliminated as well. But eliminating the income tax eliminates graft (no special treatment). And for Louisianna, that corrupt shit of a state, probably not a bad idea.

Might even be his real motive. Can't really come out and say too many officials on the take, risk retaliation for losing face.

FSP-Rebel
01-13-2013, 03:58 PM
This is just smoke and mirrors so Fox can pump him up as this fiscal conservative and make him presidential timber to steal Rand's thunder.

Keith and stuff
01-13-2013, 04:28 PM
This is just smoke and mirrors so Fox can pump him up as this fiscal conservative and make him presidential timber to steal Rand's thunder.

I don't think so. A crazy idea like this will greatly hurt his chance to run for president. If this passed, this 1 issue would be enough to prevent him from winning a general election. After the media got done with this issue, to the average person, it would be much worse than anything Romney or McCain was accused of doing.

Gumba of Liberty
01-13-2013, 06:34 PM
It's the right direction. If we are going to have a Federalist State, something I don't see going away anytime soon, I believe that States should be limited to collecting a consumption tax and the central government should be limited to a tariff. Limiting the avenues of taxation creates transparency and reduces corruption.

gwax23
01-13-2013, 07:49 PM
It's the right direction. If we are going to have a Federalist State, something I don't see going away anytime soon, I believe that States should be limited to collecting a consumption tax and the central government should be limited to a tariff. Limiting the avenues of taxation creates transparency and reduces corruption.

Tariffs? No thank you.

KrokHead
01-13-2013, 07:53 PM
I'm more concerned about the budget than taxes at this point, but as long as Jindal can balance the books this will be a huge plus for people who work.

Gumba of Liberty
01-13-2013, 08:12 PM
Tariffs? No thank you.

Would you rather fund the Feds with an income, sales or property tax that you will pay directly? I would rather the government stay at the borders of the country where they belong and uniformly tax anything that enters. Easy, effective, and non-invasive. Best of all they stay out of my life, my bank account and my business.

Keith and stuff
01-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Would you rather fund the Feds with an income, sales or property tax that you will pay directly? I would rather the government stay at the borders of the country where they belong and uniformly tax anything that enters. Easy, effective, and non-invasive. Best of all they stay out of my life, my bank account and my business.

That or corporate taxes. Individuals without companies shouldn't have to worry about sales or income taxes. The whole idea is crazy.

muh_roads
01-13-2013, 11:35 PM
Yup this will raise property taxes through the roof over there. If you enjoyed a low tax % on personal and you own, you'll see an increase in what you actually pay most likely.

If you rent, it'll be awesome for you.

gwax23
01-13-2013, 11:48 PM

Its called indirect taxes. As more tariffs build and we become a protectionist state monopolies will form and the prices of all goods and services will rise. You will be taxed and it will be invasive.

Low Rate Flat Tax on Consumption. Sole Tax. Nothing more nothing less. To pay for the bare necessities, Courts, Police, and Military.

Feeding the Abscess
01-14-2013, 12:19 AM
Its called indirect taxes. As more tariffs build and we become a protectionist state monopolies will form and the prices of all goods and services will rise. You will be taxed and it will be invasive.

Low Rate Flat Tax on Consumption. Sole Tax. Nothing more nothing less. To pay for the bare necessities, Courts, Police, and Military.

How will you keep only that "low rate" of consumption tax, and how do you keep the ultimate monopoly institution, with its own legal system and enforcement arm, from making its own rules and expanding its own power?

ILUVRP
01-14-2013, 07:09 AM
like i said --all states need a certain amount of money to operate --, it all comes down to is where they get it , at the end of the year they will have the funds they want.

i guess it comes down to if you have a dog in the fight.

i know here in ariz the stupid cities around phoenix try to out do each other to give business money to locate to their city ( car dealers/malls/sports ) , who pays ?? you are correct , its us. i would add after 5-10 yrs the auto dealers leave for more money , the malls close , sports need bigger and better things .

my best guess legacy costs are going to break 1/2 of the cities in america in the next 20-25 years.

Zippyjuan
01-14-2013, 01:38 PM
Yup this will raise property taxes through the roof over there. If you enjoyed a low tax % on personal and you own, you'll see an increase in what you actually pay most likely.

If you rent, it'll be awesome for you.
Renters pay property taxes too. It in is included in your rent.

Warrior_of_Freedom
01-14-2013, 03:14 PM

1k is manageable. In NJ people in my town have homes that are up to 10k a year property tax.

Keith and stuff
01-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Though taxes are truly lower in some states like NH, TN and NV. Also, taxes feel truly lower in some states like AK, WY and TX because mineral/oil/gas companies pay so much of the taxes.

Except New Hampshire.

gwax23
01-14-2013, 05:55 PM
How will you keep only that "low rate" of consumption tax, and how do you keep the ultimate monopoly institution, with its own legal system and enforcement arm, from making its own rules and expanding its own power?

Why so much hostility to this idea and so much support for tariffs. I thought this was the ron paul forum. What I said was exactly ron pauls plan as far as taxes are concerned though recently he has gave support to a 10% flat Tax.....

Gumba of Liberty
01-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Why so much hostility to this idea and so much support for tariffs. I thought this was the ron paul forum. What I said was exactly ron pauls plan as far as taxes are concerned though recently he has gave support to a 10% flat Tax.....

Ron Paul isn't opposed to a flat, uniform 10-20% Tariff. This was Chuck Baldwin's position in 2008 and Dr. Paul supported him. Regardless, I'm not in lock step with Paul on every issue. I am in line with Thomas Jefferson on this one. The only place the Federal Government has in our society is on the borders dealing with foreigners. Immigration, Defense, and Diplomacy should be paid for by a uniform tariff at the Federal level. Courts, police, roads (for now), and schools (for now) should be paid for by a uniform consumption tax at the State level. No other taxes should exist. Land should be owned and maintained through the homesteading principle.

Confederate
01-14-2013, 07:33 PM
Ron Paul isn't opposed to a flat, uniform 10-20% Tariff. This was Chuck Baldwin's position in 2008 and Dr. Paul supported him. Regardless, I'm not in lock step with Paul on every issue. I am in line with Thomas Jefferson on this one. The only place the Federal Government has in our society is on the borders dealing with foreigners. Immigration, Defense, and Diplomacy should be paid for by a uniform tariff at the Federal level. Courts, police, roads (for now), and schools (for now) should be paid for by a uniform consumption tax at the State level. No other taxes should exist. Land should be owned and maintained through the homesteading principle.

I agree with this.

anaconda
01-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Jindal is a neocon.

Feeding the Abscess
01-14-2013, 09:27 PM

I don't support tariffs, either. And how recent are we talking? 1982?

Feeding the Abscess
01-14-2013, 09:28 PM

Read Liberty Defined for Ron's position on tariffs.

gwax23
01-14-2013, 10:45 PM
I don't support tariffs, either. And how recent are we talking? 1982?

Good. And for what the 10% Flat Tax or the Sales/Consumption tax? Actually im not sure on the dates of either but I can get it.

I dont agree with Paul on everything either but a 10-20% (20%!!!!) Tariff is ridiculous. Also if we get rid of the welfare state we should push for open immigration. Besides that I agree with everything else youve said.

erowe1
01-14-2013, 10:56 PM
Ron Paul isn't opposed to a flat, uniform 10-20% Tariff.

Don't slander the man. Of course he is.

muh_roads
01-20-2013, 12:12 PM

Depends who you are renting from. My rent is way lower than the owners monthly mortgage alone.

Keith and stuff
02-04-2013, 04:55 PM
The new GOP governor of NC is calling for $900,000,000 in annual tax increases. Some of these schemes to to reduce the income tax and increase sales taxes are just a waste of time because they are revenue neutral. However, the NC government (a Republican) took it a step further (though not as far as the Democratic governor of MA), he is calling for massive tax increases, especially on the poor. He wants to increase the grocery food sales tax from 2% to 8%, for example.

GOP leaders suggest abolishing N.C. income tax
Published Wed, Jan 16, 2013 11:14 PM
Modified Thu, Jan 17, 2013 04:26 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/01/16/2612085/gop-leaders-suggest-abolishing.html

It costs roughly $12 billion to eliminate the corporate and personal income taxes and business franchise taxes, as the GOP proposes. The money accounts for more than half the state’s $20 billion annual budget.

Proposed tax hikes

To offset the cuts, Senate Republicans are considering:

• Eliminating all 318 existing tax breaks in the state’s tax code, which account for $9 billion in revenue. The breaks cover everything from motor vehicle taxes to prescription drugs and insulin to sales taxes paid by nonprofits.

• Generating $12.9 billion in new revenue by increasing the 6.75 percent combined sales tax rate levied in most of the state to an 8.05 percent combined state and local tax rate.

The higher rate would apply to all goods and services – including those currently exempt from taxes, such as lottery tickets, haircuts, dentist visits, housekeeping and lawyers’ fees.

One major increase would be the sales tax on groceries. It currently sits at 2 percent but would increase to 8 percent.

Together, the sale tax changes would provide $12.9 billion.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/01/16/2612085/gop-leaders-suggest-abolishing.html#storylink=cpy

Danke
02-04-2013, 04:59 PM

Depends who you are renting from. My rent is way lower than the owners monthly mortgage alone.

Then you landlord is operating a charity, or government connected.

erowe1
02-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Then you landlord is operating a charity, or government connected.

Not necessarily.

It could be they just made a bad investment.

The amount they can charge in rent is based on supply and demand, regardless of what their mortgage is. Even if they're losing money, they're not losing as much as they would with an empty building.

Danke
02-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Not necessarily.

It could be they just made a bad investment.

The amount they can charge in rent is based on supply and demand, regardless of what their mortgage is. Even if they're losing money, they're not losing as much as they would with an empty building.

Good point.