PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul tweets about his April Homeschooling convention event

sailingaway
01-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Ron Paul ‏@RepRonPaul
I am excited to be speaking at the MidWest Homeschool Convention in Cincinnati on Sat., April 6. For more info, check http://tinyurl.com/ahg33ke

It is nice to see that that twitter account is coming back on line. It could do with a better avatar. Maybe if he gave Gage the credit on his profile Gage would let him use one of his much better pictures for his avatar. (Gage usually gets credit for payment and that is tough on the size of a twitter avatar.)

RandRevolution
01-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Anyone else not exactly thrilled about the idea of homeschooling? I mean, our education system is shit, but if it was better I'm not sure if I would support laws for it. Obviously no laws on a federal level but not getting that socializing as a kid and possibly getting way worse education is really bad for the kid, I believe in liberty and freedom of choice for everyone but kids aren't your property and I feel like there should be certain laws in place to protect them because they are incapable of making good decisions until they reach a certain age. If we had super decentralized education system that wasn't associated with government I would probably oppose allowing homeschooling.

specsaregood
01-11-2013, 10:45 AM
but not getting that socializing as a kid and possibly getting way worse education is really bad for the kid

I don't know anybody that homeschools that doesn't go all out to get socialization opportunities for their kids. But I'm sure there are exceptions; of course those exceptions might not do any better in regular schools. As far as the "possibly getting way worse education"? Well the stats don't back that up to any significant degree. There are plenty of kids getting a shitty education in public schools and always will no matter how much "better" they get.

CaptUSA
01-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Anyone else not exactly thrilled about the idea of homeschooling? I mean, our education system is shit, but if it was better I'm not sure if I would support laws for it. Obviously no laws on a federal level but not getting that socializing as a kid and possibly getting way worse education is really bad for the kid, I believe in liberty and freedom of choice for everyone but kids aren't your property and I feel like there should be certain laws in place to protect them because they are incapable of making good decisions until they reach a certain age. If we had super decentralized education system that wasn't associated with government I would probably oppose allowing homeschooling.Yeah, I don't think public schooling is the type of "socialization" you want your child learning.

You want to protect kids from the choices of their parents, but you don't think there is a problem with other people's parents making those calls?!

jkr
01-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Yeah, I don't think public schooling is the type of "socialization" you want your child learning.

You want to protect kids from the choices of their parents, but you don't think there is a problem with other people's parents making those calls?!
^THIS^

the continual circle jerk of the statist

MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS AND I'LL MIND MINE
otherwise, i get to pick through YOUR LIFE and decide for you what you are doing wrong and then punish/ tax you

sounds gr8 doesnt it?

RandRevolution
01-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Yeah, I don't think public schooling is the type of "socialization" you want your child learning.

Yeah I agree our current education is shit and homeschooling is way better, but say it were completely privatized or very decentralized (like charter schools run by the states where the individual schools and teachers have a lot more power over decision making). I think if you do that, 99% of the time the quality of education is going to be way better than the homeschooling and kids will get the social experience which is extremely important. The problem is that education is way too centralized, a few people in the federal or state government decide how it will work for everyone which is what ruins it. There's no quality control with homeschooling and they miss out on the socializing.

RandRevolution
01-11-2013, 10:58 AM
I don't know anybody that homeschools that doesn't go all out to get socialization opportunities for their kids. But I'm sure there are exceptions; of course those exceptions might not do any better in regular schools. As far as the "possibly getting way worse education"? Well the stats don't back that up to any significant degree. There are plenty of kids getting a shitty education in public schools and always will no matter how much "better" they get.

The problem is there's no guarantee

I agree that kids in homeschool do get better education right now, because our education system is shit, but I think it would be different if things were done the way I'm suggesting.

I'm about as anti-statist as you can get. I think the only role of government should be a strong national defense, a semi-privatized highly decentralized police force and certain laws to protect children from harm since they don't know any better.

specsaregood
01-11-2013, 11:00 AM

I'm sorry, exactly what guarantee are you getting with govt run schools? Have you ever known anybody involved in homeschooling? Or are your impressions just from what you have heard/read?

Also, if you relaxed regulations and gave tax credits for to offset local school property taxes, you would probably find a great number of "homeschools" including lots of kids that aren't relatives.

RandRevolution
01-11-2013, 11:06 AM
I'm sorry, exactly what guarantee are you getting with govt run schools? Have you ever known anybody involved in homeschooling? Or are your impressions just from what you have heard/read?

Please don't misinterpret me because I hate our current education system and don't want government run schools either. With homeschooling there is no guarantee your child will socialize and I'm sure statistics show they are less social on average, but it's the certain kinds of socializing you do in schools that are so crucial that kids likely won't get if they are home schooled even if they do other social activities.

specsaregood
01-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Please don't misinterpret me because I hate our current education system and don't want government run schools either. With homeschooling there is no guarantee your child will socialize and I'm sure statistics show they are less social on average, but it's the certain kinds of socializing you do in schools that are so crucial that kids likely won't get if they are home schooled even if they do other social activities.

So that is a no? You have no first hand experience with anybody involved in homeschooling?

sailingaway
01-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Yeah I agree our current education is shit and homeschooling is way better, but say it were completely privatized or very decentralized (like charter schools run by the states where the individual schools and teachers have a lot more power over decision making). I think if you do that, 99% of the time the quality of education is going to be way better than the homeschooling and kids will get the social experience which is extremely important. The problem is that education is way too centralized, a few people in the federal or state government decide how it will work for everyone which is what ruins it. There's no quality control with homeschooling and they miss out on the socializing.

Actually most homeschool families I know have tons of socialization for the kids. There are likely some that don't but I suspect they may be very low income with few opportunities and public schools that are a mental death trap if not a physical one.

Your education world sounds worth supporting but I would NEVER forbid home schooling. No one cares for most children as much as their families do, and I think the families need to make those decisions, barring abuse.

Kodaddy
01-11-2013, 11:16 AM
I've had the pleasure of meeting a bunch of homeschooled kids over the years, and almost without exception they were the most intelligent, well-mannered, well-rounded kids I have ever met. They look you in the eye, say "sir", and can speak intelligently on a plethora of topics. They excelled at sports, were genuinely inquisitive and were proud of their talents and accomplishments. If and when I have children, they will definitely be homeschooled.

CaptUSA
01-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure where this idea of "home-schooled kids lack social skills" comes from. Perhaps, the public education system?

Now, if you're talking about the social skills displayed in public schools, then yes, but damn, have you seen the social skills of kids in public schools?!!! I have to deal with the results of public educated adults all the time. Trust me, more damage is done by the socialization in public schools than good.

RandRevolution
01-11-2013, 11:21 AM
So that is a no? You have no first hand experience with anybody involved in homeschooling?

I knew two people who were homeschooled that acted like total aspergers but I didn't mention it because I'm not going to base my opinion of a group of people off of experiences I had with 2 of them.

sailingaway
01-11-2013, 11:22 AM
I believe Ben Swann was home schooled, did you know?

sailingaway
01-11-2013, 11:23 AM
I knew two people who were homeschooled that acted like total aspergers but I didn't mention it because I'm not going to base my opinion of a group of people off of experiences I had with 2 of them.

Possibly they were home schooled BECAUSE they had aspergers. That sort of thing is one of the reasons people DO homeschool, if their local school doesn't have decent accomodation for that. I'm sure it colors people's thoughts about homeschooling, but what would you do in their parent's shoes?

FSP-Rebel
01-11-2013, 11:37 AM
The main point here is to offer issue advocacy for the freedom to school one's kids outside of the rugrat fleafarm and to endear another bloc to support Rand in the future and other pro-liberty folk. It's none of my biz how well or not someone else's kids can jive with others.

sailingaway
01-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Ron was pushing this long before Rand got into politics.

dinosaur
01-11-2013, 11:50 AM

Do you want freedom or guarantees? I guarantee that undermining government guarantees, with the resulting competition of schooling options, will result in a better deal for children. I guarantee that quality in education will go down anytime the government has a monopoly on it. I guarantee that putting the government in charge of child socialization is a bad idea.

V3n
01-11-2013, 11:52 AM
I believe Ben Swann was home schooled, did you know?

Ben Swann is in Cincinnati - maybe they can have a sit down and discuss!! :D

FSP-Rebel
01-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Ron was pushing this long before Rand got into politics.
I'm well aware of that but I tend to think Ron is taking to the education and advocacy route again with partial hopes of Rand benefiting from it, or at least further coalition building between the liberty movement and specific genres that are ripe for the picking.

sailingaway
01-11-2013, 11:54 AM
It makes it sound like he is an appendage of Rand when you say that. Ron has always fought for liberty and whether Rand had ever been born, I'm sure he would have continued to do so. I don't believe he thinks of homeschoolers in any driving way as a 'group ripe for picking'.

FSP-Rebel
01-11-2013, 11:59 AM
It makes it sound like he is an appendage of Rand when you say that. Ron has always fought for liberty and whether Rand had ever been born, I'm sure he would have continued to do so. I don't believe he thinks of homeschoolers in any driving way as a 'group ripe for picking'.
lol. He speaks wherever he thinks the message is ripe for the picking, specifically college campuses. He's not exactly known for speaking at retirement facilities.

sailingaway
01-11-2013, 12:02 PM
As I see it he's spoken at retirement facilities, but when he thinks 'ripe for the picking' it is in terms of 'setting brushfires' not a specific political advantage for a particular person, including himself -- those in retirement facilities have less opportunity to spread brushfires. but he has spoken everywhere.

My personal objection to this is more like if people posted on everything that Rand did that it would help to raise Ron's profile and that was its main value. It seems insulting to me.

FSP-Rebel
01-11-2013, 12:26 PM
It's all about moving forward and inching closer to having a chance at regaining our lost liberties. What we all do as individuals toward that goal is important and if my campaigning at a local level helped KB, my past max givings to Ron among other things helped spread the message to where we are now, then I'm happy to be a minor tool in the overall scheme of things.